AFLW Round 7 - Gold Coast v Richmond at Metricon Stadium, Friday March 12, 7.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Well might as well get the conversation started.

Very winnable game this week. Should have beaten this mob last year when we kicked 2.10 v 5.3. (kicked 0.8 after quarter time) and won in just about every area apart from the all important scoreboard in that R2 encounter. Most frustrating game we've played for mine.

Sadly (and I mean it sincerely) one of GC best players this year, their reigning B & F Jamie Stanton has been ruled out for the season after breaking her ankle last week. Hope she gets back to her best. Good footballer.

Suns have been smacked around this year after a pretty good showing last year so if we can get Monique back its going to be tough for them.

EDIT:

From AFLW website:

RICHMOND will welcome back star midfielder Monique Conti for its Friday night clash with Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium, in a huge boost for the Tigers seeking their second NAB AFL Women's victory.

Conti was a late withdrawal with a hamstring problem ahead of the Tigers' round six clash with North Melbourne, which they eventually lost by 35 points.

She will be joined in the side by tall utility Laura McClelland, who has served a two-game suspension for engaging in rough conduct against Giant Britt Tully in round four. Defender Phoebe Monahan (omitted) and midfielder Hannah Burchell (managed) go out of the Tigers' side.

The Suns will be without their reigning club champion, midfielder Jamie Stanton, who will miss the rest of the season after suffering a nasty lower leg injury in a tackle against Adelaide.

Gold Coast has also omitted forward Jordann Hickey, while recalling fellow attackers Maddison Levi and Brittany Perry.

GOLD COAST

B:
D.Heslop 25 J.Pregelj 42
HB: E.Keaney 30 L.Ahrens 7 C.Hammond 29
C: K.Howarth 23 A.Drennan 33 D.D'Arcy 20
HF: T.Groves-Little 3 M.Levi 6 P.Parker 1
F: B.Perry 16 S.Virgo 22
Foll: L.Bella 2 S.Watson 14 K.Surman 26
I/C: H.Dunn - C 24 L.Kaslar 11 W.Randell 15 S.Riley 8 L.Single 13
Emerg: J.Baird 18 M.Ritson 12

In: M.Levi, B.Perry
Out: J.Stanton (injured), J.Hickey (omitted)

RICHMOND

B:
R.Miller 15 H.Cordner 23
HB: S.D'Arcy 12 A.Makur Chuot 34 I.Ross 21
C: C.Bernardi 6 S.Hosking 7 T.Lavey 37
HF: M.Brancatisano 5 S.Molan 1 K.Brennan - C 3
F: T.Stahl 24 C.Wakefield 8
Foll: G.Seymour 28 E.McKenzie 22 M.Conti 4
I/C: L.McClelland 16 K.Dempsey 19 S.Dargan 17 K.Jacques 10 S.Frederick 14
Emerg: S.Sansonetti 18 H.McLaren 29

In: M.Conti, L.McClelland
Out: P.Monahan (omitted), H.Burchell (managed)

Last edited:
Well might as well get the conversation started.

Very winnable game this week. Should have beaten this mob last year when we kicked 2.10 v 5.3. (kicked 0.8 after quarter time) and won in just about every area apart from the all important scoreboard in that R2 encounter. Most frustrating game we've played for mine.

Sadly (and I mean it sincerely) one of GC best players this year, their reigning B & F Jamie Stanton has been ruled out for the season after breaking her ankle last week. Hope she gets back to her best. Good footballer.

Suns have been smacked around this year after a pretty good showing last year so if we can get Monique back its going to be tough for them.

Here is hoping we don't find a way of shooting ourselves in the foot. Would love to go, had planned on it, but then a little thing called my daughter's birthday cropped up. I invited her to come with me, but she wanted to move house as well. Talk about make it hard! Go Tiges!

MAR 11. 2021. 6:00 AM
Injury wrap
Sarah Black

TWO BEST and fairest winners have been ruled out for the season, with Gold Coast's Jamie Stanton and St Kilda's Liv Vesely sidelined by serious injuries.
Stanton fractured the base of her right fibula and damaged her syndesmosis in a first-quarter tackle against Adelaide, needing immediate pain relief while on the ground. In other Gold Coast injury news, young tall Maddy Levi is available for selection after swelling from a hyperextended knee subsided, while tough midfielder Emma Pittman made the first steps in her comeback from a torn ACL suffered mid-2019, playing in the QAFLW. There's no timeline on academy signing Ellie Hampson's foot injury, while Sarah Perkins (MCL) and Annise Bradfield (ACL) are out for the season.

Monique Conti (hamstring tightness) is set to be a big inclusion for Richmond after her late withdrawal from the match against North Melbourne.
Alana Woodward is still battling a calf injury, while Cleo Saxon-Jones has been sidelined for the past few weeks with concussion.

That green whistle must work bloody well.

1615419828702.png

Good preview TigermanM2.

Conti back is huge. Hard to drop Bernardi after two goals last week, but I don't know who else I'd push out.

Not counting any chickens - I haven't seen more than two quarters of the Suns this year, so maybe their improved on last year. And as tigs so kindly reminds us, expecting to beat this club can lead to permanent brain explosion.

Good preview TigermanM2.

Conti back is huge. Hard to drop Bernardi after two goals last week, but I don't know who else I'd push out.

Not counting any chickens - I haven't seen more than two quarters of the Suns this year, so maybe their improved on last year. And as tigs so kindly reminds us, expecting to beat this club can lead to permanent brain explosion.

Yeah, can't drop Bernardi. I think Sarah Dargan's spot is in danger.

Interesting Monahan is being left out - still love to know what's changed - it's been a massive for reversal by anyone's standard. She does do a lot off the ball too, but that still wasn't enough it seems. Molan has some tickets in the bank that saved her, Jacques just, and agree with TManM2, Dargan very fortunate. Can understand managing Burchell, she cops some heavy treatment at times, I'm liking her development a lot. Very neat player at the level without being outstanding.

If McClelland plays like she did in the last 3 qtrs against Carlton in the VFLW last week, she'll be OK. We can afford to carry Bernardi against the Gold Coast as her skills are elite in this company - just struggles across the ground.

As long as the girls are not ahead of themselves up here (Ferg won't let it be) we could win this by 10 goals I think!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow I really don’t get the Monahan ommison, sure she’s well off last years form However still above the contribution of dargan, stahl and I’m losing a little patience in molan just when I thought she was on the up . Anyway, carna Tigers lets do it , mon Conti back is massive

Could not agree more Bo - an out of form Monahan is still in the best 20 (sadly)

MAR 12. 2021. 6:00 AM
AFLW R7 preview
Sarah Black

Gold Coast v Richmond at Metricon Stadium, 6.40pm AEST

• The Suns will be thrilled to be back on their own home deck for the first time since round one, having had games in Brisbane, Sydney, two in Perth and last week in Adelaide. Jamie Stanton (fractured ankle) is a huge loss, but Maddy Levi (knee) should add some flexibility in the ruck and up forward.
  • The Tigers were completely blown out of the water in the first half against North Melbourne, but held them much better in the second. The return of Mon Conti (hamstring tightness) will be a huge boost for the team, and they've got steady bookends in Courtney Wakefield and Harriet Cordner.
  • Tip: Richmond blew a golden chance to record its first ever win when these two teams met, back in round two last year. They won't let a victory slip again. Tigers by 23 points.

Wow I really don’t get the Monahan ommison, sure she’s well off last years form However still above the contribution of dargan, stahl and I’m losing a little patience in molan just when I thought she was on the up . Anyway, carna Tigers lets do it , mon Conti back is massive

Monahan is a bit of a puzzle. Cordner has taken her spot down back and Monahan has looked a bit lost elsewhere at times. Maybe they'll put her in the midfield for Port and hope she gets some touch and confidence there with an eye on playing her in the middle in the last rounds of AFLW.

Think we have to continue to be patient with Sophie Molan. Just a kid but she actually has our second best tackle numbers behind Hosking so I'm quite happy with the physical side of her game. Seen a couple of dashes out of the middle, a few handballs out to team mates in space from under a pack. She isn't overly quick so probably one that is taking time adjusting to the pace of AFLW v NAB U18. Thought she was thrown right into the deep end last year.

Really looking forward to seeing how Laura Mc plays this week. Can only remember twice did we see Tigers fly the flag last year and Laura was one and Holly Whitford was the other. Not quite convinced that she was in the form to force her way into the AFLW side but here she is. Good luck to her. Sometimes you just need a bit of a break to show what you can do.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back