AFLW Round 7 - Gold Coast v Richmond at Metricon Stadium, Friday March 12, 7.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Well worded post TigermanM2 as usual
It's been interesting since we've won a few games now, that the vibe of the posts have changed from disheartened to now hopeful
All of us who have been seriously invested in our AFLW program, have always known that it was going to be a slow burn
Our backline is looking solid, our forward line is a work in progress and the midfield is a player or two just shy of matching it with the top clubs
good times ahead, go Tigers
I could def see that we were on the Improve with stirring performance against qty sides in coll and the blues prior to our win, the detractors have certainly piped down. A thriving AFLW team can only be a good thing for the RICHMOND FC , hope the girls get a good crowd in v WC

Yeah go well Borough's, especially Cleo Saxon-Jones who hasn't had a good run at it as yet
Wish her well to string a few games together, since she's only had bad luck of late

The one positive that I saw about Cleo in the Port game was that she got through the whole game. Not much else, though did kick a nice goal from an infringement - she Rucked forward, but gee she was wearing the concrete boots in that game - early days!

Last edited:
I worry akec just ain’t up to senior footy, pity as I love her enthusiasm for the jumper , Monahan should occupy her spot. She bounds around traps the footy then in the next stride is caught , happens time and again

The worries are real, but it could click with more games - it's as much a timing thing as a vision thing I think - dispose two steps sooner and she will look much better. From what I saw of Monahan in the Port game - it would be line ball her even coming back up. Hope it was just me missing her good bits........ it was deadset like watching little league that game - especially the last - it was a bit damp though.

Last edited:

Good, even team performance. KB - 3, Dempsey - 2 and McKenzie 1, for me.

The Suns were better than I expected. Hadn't seen much of them, but in the half I did see, Perkins was their best and only contributor... Not great. They were better than that this weekend. Their tackling was outstanding. But we worked our way through. Shoulda won, and did what we needed to do.

Now that we've played most of the oppo, we can see a little more clearly where we truly sit. Not the worst. Not by a long way.

But we still haven't played Freo and Adelaide. I suspect we are also a looong way from the pointy end of the ladder.

The small fwds are frustrating. they need to take every opp to kick goals. Chuot is interesting to watch from the brilliant ~ to silly mistake/decision ~to brilliant. Tall winger good position for her?

I've heard Akec say she thinks of herself as a winger multiple times. I've rarely seen her get her hand on the footy when it's above her head, let alone take a mark. Weird that they keep playing her as a "tall defender".

The worries are real, but it could click with more games - it's as much a timing thing as a vision thing I think - dispose two steps sooner and she will look much better. From what I saw of Monahan in the Port game - it would be line ball her even coming back up. Hope it was just me missing her good bits........ it was deadset like watching little league that game - especially the last - it was a bit damp though.
I think Birchall comes straight in, unavailable to travel v gc

Good, even team performance. KB - 3, Dempsey - 2 and McKenzie 1, for me.

The Suns were better than I expected. Hadn't seen much of them, but in the half I did see, Perkins was their best and only contributor... Not great. They were better than that this weekend. Their tackling was outstanding. But we worked our way through. Shoulda won, and did what we needed to do.

Now that we've played most of the oppo, we can see a little more clearly where we truly sit. Not the worst. Not by a long way.

But we still haven't played Freo and Adelaide. I suspect we are also a looong way from the pointy end of the ladder.
Yep if nm or blues are lower parts of top 6 then we are 2-3 players off I think . Another qty mid or two at least hosko std would help us jump up a cog

Yep if nm or blues are lower parts of top 6 then we are 2-3 players off I think . Another qty mid or two at least hosko std would help us jump up a cog

A decent draft crop, another year of experience in McKenzie and Conti, upgrade the small forwards, find some natural improvement ala Miller and Seymour, and we'll roll Carlton. Still a fair way off Freo, though, IMO.

A decent draft crop, another year of experience in McKenzie and Conti, upgrade the small forwards, find some natural improvement ala Miller and Seymour, and we'll roll Carlton. Still a fair way off Freo, though, IMO.
Watched the end of that Freo game on my day off today, gee that was good footy, yea I’d agree 4-5 good std players off them

I think Birchall comes straight in, unavailable to travel v gc

You would think a certainty - has been playing very well - improving week on week.

Interesting Coaches Votes

8 Ellie McKenzie (RICH)
7 Monique Conti (RICH)
7 Katie Brennan (RICH)
4 Lauren Ahrens (GCFC)
2 Sarah Hosking (RICH)
1 Kate Surman (GCFC)
1 Maddison Levi (GCFC)

They couldn't really split McKenzie, Conti and Brennan. Personally, I had Brennan as BOG, and thought Dempsey's link-up play deserved votes.

Interesting Coaches Votes

8 Ellie McKenzie (RICH)
7 Monique Conti (RICH)
7 Katie Brennan (RICH)
4 Lauren Ahrens (GCFC)
2 Sarah Hosking (RICH)
1 Kate Surman (GCFC)
1 Maddison Levi (GCFC)

They couldn't really split McKenzie, Conti and Brennan. Personally, I had Brennan as BOG, and thought Dempsey's link-up play deserved votes.
Thought Dempsey was excellent. I wonder if she wasn't doing something Fergy wanted. Even then the GC coach is a bit of a campaigner

AFLW Team of the week has Katie Brennan in the forward line. Gold Coast has two players.

Now I'm not saying the GC players didn't play well because they did but if you have a blank canvas and every single player is treated equally then you cannot tell me that Jade Pregelj, who got an interchange spot, played a better game than Conti or McKenzie.

Team of the week isn't meant to be an encouragement award.

Again no criticism of Jade because she did play well, just not in the best 3 players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLW Team of the week has Katie Brennan in the forward line. Gold Coast has two players.

Now I'm not saying the GC players didn't play well because they did but if you have a blank canvas and every single player is treated equally then you cannot tell me that Jade Pregelj, who got an interchange spot, played a better game than Conti or McKenzie.

Team of the week isn't meant to be an encouragement award.

Again no criticism of Jade because she did play well, just not in the best 3 players.
Fully concur

Remove this Banner Ad

Back