Preview Round 7 - Prison Bars vs Eddie McGuire, Friday May 3rd 7:50pm AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Collingwood will play a chip around possession style similar to how Brisbane did to try to counter our press.

Hopefully with Cox out and the rise of a marking Howard, we'll control that aerial battle in defence and make it difficult for the likes of DeGoey and Stephenson to work into the game. We need to play good lockdown when we're set up so that they're forced into trying to move the ball too quickly and we can force quick turnovers.

We probably need to put Grundy under some physical pressure as we did with Gawn to get the backup ruckman at stoppages as often as possible. If we can win that ruck and clearance battle we're a huge chance.

We just need to be clean. If we're clean we'll give ourselves a huge chance. Playing inside will help, but if we're clean like we were against West Coast we'll win. We were really sloppy against North which kept the game close.

We're absolutely good enough if we bring our A game.

The better our opponent is, the more cleaner our players seem to be. That's because better opposition actually looks to win the game from the contest instead of sitting back and clogging up the ground before rebounding.

This is when we see if we are a top four team or just making up the numbers. Every season has a defining moment where people can point to and say 'that was the game when this team announced itself as a genuine flag threat'.

Beltane was this week - the celebration of new life and new beginnings.

For some reason I'm getting an Essendon at Etihad 2018 vibe here. Hope I'm horribly wrong.

Essendon 2019 gives me an Essendon 2018 vibe.

This one I think we'll be ok with though.

Be more positive folks.

I for one trust in our trio of Schofield/Thompson/Monty to come up with a plan to give us a fighting chance.

This Collingwood side is NOT way ahead of us, and we won't get hammered.

A win for us will not surprise in the slightest.

I reckon Collingwood will play a chip around possession style similar to how Brisbane did to try to counter our press.

Hopefully with Cox out and the rise of a marking Howard, we'll control that aerial battle in defence and make it difficult for the likes of DeGoey and Stephenson to work into the game. We need to play good lockdown when we're set up so that they're forced into trying to move the ball too quickly and we can force quick turnovers.

We probably need to put Grundy under some physical pressure as we did with Gawn to get the backup ruckman at stoppages as often as possible. If we can win that ruck and clearance battle we're a huge chance.

We just need to be clean. If we're clean we'll give ourselves a huge chance. Playing inside will help, but if we're clean like we were against West Coast we'll win. We were really sloppy against North which kept the game close.

We're absolutely good enough if we bring our A game.

Who is their backup? Jordan Roughead?

It's a testament to our depth that we are missing our vice captain, our #1 key forward, our best kick on the list (Watts) and our most talented player, and yet we are a very good chance against the grand finalist from last year away from home.

This is the type of depth that helps you win games through the middle of the season as it becomes more of a bog.

Massive game tomorrow night. I haven't been convinced by Collingwood this year outside of their demolition of Brisbane. I don't think they played well against Essendon and looked out on the feet for a large majority of that final quarter. Essendon were just inefficient.

We have the leg speed to make this a catch me if you can type game. We also have the bulls on the inside and we MUST give Grundy a do-over with our two headed ruck monster.

Reminds me a lot of the Melbourne matchup on paper, really.

Just don't let me down port. Knocking off work at midday tomorrow to catch my flight back to melbourne so I can see the game at Marvel instead of catching it on a 3 hour delay. Don't make me regret this Port!

It's a testament to our depth that we are missing our vice captain, our #1 key forward, our best kick on the list (Watts) and our most talented player, and yet we are a very good chance against the grand finalist from last year away from home.

Co-captain too. And it's amazing what 3 amazing draftees and a 3rd year bolter can do to depth.

We are living in a world where the Port board is happy to have Amon and SGray in the team.
This is a strong evidence that, collectively, this community is fair and open against its own prejudices.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting my realism hat on I suspect it is unlikely we could defeat the current wobbler's line up in Melbourne without at least 3 of R.Gray, Dixon, Hartlett, Watts and Jonas, fit and firing.

I'm predicting the wobblers by 15 to 20, but I will obviously be very happy if my assessment is wrong, and Port win by any margin.

Unfortunately, not correct. Collingwood started wearing black and white in 1892. Port Adelaide is older (1870), however only started wearing black and white in 1902. I love the prison bars, and think we should wear them when there is an opportunity to honour our heritage (eg. 150 anniversary). However, I also like the back in black Guernsey, and happy to have that as a primary Guernsey.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I also like the idea of wearing the PBs in all Showdowns

I also like the idea of wearing the PBs in all Showdowns
Every opening home game, ANZAC round, Showdown, and home Finals (but v Collingwood) would be a good compromise — a first compromise, I mean.

We are living in a world where the Port board is happy to have Amon and SGray in the team.

The lack of height still bothers me. Amon is 23 and Gray is 27 but they still both look like new draftees out there. Even Rozee, Drew and Duursma (Butters not so much) look more mature.

Amon and Gray are in form so right now they deserve their spots, but I'd feel more comfortable with an in-form Motlop and Mayes in the side rather than an in-form Amon and Gray for that reason.

Gotta love Ken's presser form.

First off, labels De Goey as 'one of the greats'. Yes, he's a terrific player; he's also 23 and has only played 77 games.

Then, when asked who the match-up was, he delivers this stunner:

"If he's the last line, it's probably Clurey, it's probably Howard. If he's up the field a little bit more, it's probably Byrne-Jones, it's probably Houston, and if he's right up the field, it's probably Bonner and it's probably Burton, and we have Lienert as well, so it just depends on how we structure up."

Ken mate, either name one or two players or keep it coy, don't just name the entire backline.

hat to break it to you (and I'm certinaly no ken supporter) but naming the entire backline is keeping it "coy".

Gotta love Ken's presser form.

First off, labels De Goey as 'one of the greats'. Yes, he's a terrific player; he's also 23 and has only played 77 games.

Then, when asked who the match-up was, he delivers this stunner:

"If he's the last line, it's probably Clurey, it's probably Howard. If he's up the field a little bit more, it's probably Byrne-Jones, it's probably Houston, and if he's right up the field, it's probably Bonner and it's probably Burton, and we have Lienert as well, so it just depends on how we structure up."

Ken mate, either name one or two players or keep it coy, don't just name the entire backline.

Or maybe you should take what he said at face value and realise that De Goey's match up is determined by where he is on the field, rather than having a dedicated player who goes with him.

My GF reckons when we are watching on the telly( although I'm too stressed to notice) I jerk when we kick the ball, put my hands in the air when we mark , and when we bump some campaigner I elbow her in the ribs. She says it has to stop. I'm only a little guy, picture she is Brienne and I am Tyrion. She's gonna hang me on the back of the bathroom door if I do it again . Then I'll miss the game. Gotta behave
Ports by 6
hahahahaahaha man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back