Out: Morrison, Phillips & Hanrahan

B: Hardwick Hartigan O'Brien
HB: Jiath Frost Scrimshaw
C: Gunston Mitchell Moore
HF: Wingard Kositchke Breust
F: Brockman Jeka Impey
Foll: Mcevoy Worpel O'Meara
Int: Lewis Shiels Maginess Cousins

We are struggling with defensive pressure so moved Impey into forward line, Moore to wing because he is a workhorse who is good overhead for his height and not a pressure forward, trying Gunston on the other wing just to offer something different!
Morrison is good with the ball but has been dropped because when we don't have the ball he is a witches hat!! Phillips is in a similar boat!!
Lewis again I put as the 2nd ruck would like to see Mitch against Oscar Allen and not Natanui, Lewis rucked a fair abit against Ryder yesterday and got jumped on!!

outs: Finn, Obrien, Shiels

ins: Omeara,Wingard, Brockman/Greaves

Obrien out now that Gunston is back, he can play that swingman role if needed given the talls already up forward. Shiels too slow and lacking impact whilst Finn is simply not ready. The ins need to give us pace and class. If Greaves comes in, scrimshaw could rotate through midfield otherwise Brockman.

I actually think we are a better chance in this game if Omeara and wingard return given WCE form on the road and the fact its back at the G. Hopefully CJ responds well this week.

Ins: Brockman, Wingard & JOM

We are struggling with defensive pressure so moved Impey into forward line, Moore to wing because he is a workhorse who is good overhead for his height and not a pressure forward, trying Gunston on the other wing just to offer something different!
Morrison is good with the ball but has been dropped because when we don't have the ball he is a witches hat!! Phillips is in a similar boat!!
Lewis again I put as the 2nd ruck would like to see Mitch against Oscar Allen and not Natanui, Lewis rucked a fair abit against Ryder yesterday and got jumped on!!
I don't mind it, but I'd be dropping Shiels before Morrison or Phillips.

Hopefully Brockman gets going today at Sandy.

Jeka should stay. By dropping him, it could damage his confidence given that yesterday’s performance was not his fault. He tried all day, Lewis needs to play in the 2’s until he’s ready to be aggressive and take advantage of his size.
In: O’meara, Wingard, Brockman, Reeves

Out: Cousins, Shiels(Finn can play his role), Hanrahan and Lewis

Ins: Brockman, Wingard & JOM

I'd be swapping Morrison for Shiels- I seem to recall Morrison laying some solid tackles over the last few weeks and I think he's someone who will benefit from getting a lot of game time and being encouraged to tackle more.

Hartigan is so bad that I think I'd prefer to see Nash played at FB instead.
That is the position Nash should be groomed for. He will never have the footy brain to play forward, but has the physical attributes to play down back. I would even play him this week at the expense of Hartigan to play on Darling or Allen.

Jeka has to stay, didn’t even get a chance to show his wares at this level. I doubt he learnt much or anything at all yesterday so no point dropping him after one game.
The only thing he learnt yesterday was that he gets better delivery at Box Hill. Has to stay in and be given a good run of games. Achieves nothing dropping him after 1 or 2 games.

If JOM comes in one of Mitchell or shiels should go out. Yes Mitchell got 38 but is having no impact. I’d replace Phillips with wingard.

Hopefully downie, Morris and brockman show something today at BH (the below assumes they do). Ollie and Moore didn’t provide enough defensive pressure and Morrison has struggled last two weeks.
In: JOM, wingard, Morris, brockman, downie
Out: Shiels/Mitchell Phillips Moore Ollie Morrison

Dropping Jeka would be a crap decision. Looked the part, though barely got a touch. Looked far more dangerous than Lewis Mitchell.

Liking the cut of Jeka's jib.
Who the f**k is Lewis Mitchell?

Not many mentions of Reeves in here. I reckon Big boy looks spent. Any chance Reeves gets a run, while BB is ‘managed’.
If big boy plays you have to play reeves now, we setup so defensively because of the rucks.

either let big boybe super sub and captain from the bench or get himsome actual support, and reeves needs game time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perth going into lockdown ? Maybe we'll be spared of watching us next week haha.

Provided that the Eagles will stay in a bubble during their time in Melbourne they would be allowed to visit Victoria and play the match, especially if the squad has a negative Covid test beforehand.

Brockman with back-to-back goals for box hill in the first quarter. He comes back in for Ollie next week IMO. Also Reeves looking OK
Agree. Hanrahan doesn’t get the ball enough and does nothing when he doesn’t have it. Brockman is a clean ball user, has speed, kicks goals and has upside. Needs to come back in.

Not many mentions of Reeves in here. I reckon Big boy looks spent. Any chance Reeves gets a run, while BB is ‘managed’.
Spot on.

I am having nightmares thinking about what nasty things Nic Nat will do to BB next week.

Also bring in Downie who we can play on the wing who at least has some semblance of kicking skills.

The conundrum is according to Box Hill watchers he does not get enough of the ball but is a great kick, unlike Phillips who can get the ball but can’t kick

Last edited:
VFL - Round 3

Howe: 30 disposals - 6 marks - 2 tackles - 6 inside 50s - 1 goal
Nash: 20 disposals - 9 marks - 6 inside 50s
Brooksby: 16 disposals - 7 marks - 13 hit-outs
Brockman: 15 disposals - 7 marks - 2 tackles - 2 goals - 2 behinds
Hartley: 15 disposals 10 marks - 5 rebound 50s - 1 goal
Reeves: 14 disposals - 2 marks - 23 hit-outs
Downie: 12 disposals - 3 marks - 3 tackles
Greaves: 11 disposals - 2 marks - 2 tackles
Morris: 7 disposals - 3 marks - 3 tackles - 1 goal

DNP: Bramble, Pepper, Saunders

Last edited:
Thank god Nic Nat has been smashing the pies or it would be embarrassing to think what he would do to poor old big boy.

Their attack is pretty handy at marks inside 50 and we are currently pretty good at conceding them so hope Wingard and JOM come back in ready to win the midfield.

hartley might get us 1-2 more goals with his offensive superiority but will in turn cost us 3-4 more goals due to his defensive deficiencies relative to hartigan

we've seen the past 2 rounds that CJ and Scrimshaw are works-in-progress defensively. TOB's been a defender for like 5 games in his career. Hardwick (probably Jars too) is the only one in our D50 that is currently capable of doing both. If we drop Hartigan for Hartley, Kennedy Darling and Allen will be very, very naughty

Like CJ and Scrimshaw cop no s**t from anyone because their offensive capabilities make up for them being defensive liabilities. I think we should extend the same benefit of the doubt the other way too. At the end of the day it was actually the St Kilda small fwds that killed us, not Frost, TOB or Hartigan's men.

In an ideal world Hartigan isn't best 22 but in an ideal world we're 7-0 coming off 8 flags in a row... it's just how it is. You could probably get away with swapping Hartigan for Hartley against a smaller fwd line, but not the Eagles. No way. Can't wait for DGB to recover and get a look-in at the backend of the year.

*EDIT: Also interested that people immediately call for Hartigan but there has been little for Frost? I think that Frost has been much worse than Kyle, defensively not so great and his ball use has been particularly dreadful. I like that he tries to take the game on but he just misses targets every time. It just shows that we still need +2 big defenders. Hope DGB is one

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back