Autopsy Round 8, 2024 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Meek and Scrimshaw have been revelations this season.
Pardon me for blowing my own trumpet but I called it at the start of the year (Scrimmers to have an All Australian Squad type year and Meek to put pressure on Reeves for number 1 ruck).

Honestly I didn't expect Meek to improve this much but when you look at the athletic profile of the guy it's probably not surprising that a 203cm 110kg guy who runs all day is proving to be a force.

And Scrimmers, well the kids an absolute gun. I've said that from Day 1.

Just noticed Bulldogs have only won 3 games this year. Obviously we’re young and rebuilding but WTF is their excuse? They’ve got some huge names and if they were serious they should have smashed us by 10 goals.
s**t coach who the players hate. He fluked a flag. They need to sack him but really hope they don’t

Matthew Hill is the best in the business.

I’m team Jason Bennett myself, but Hill is a very close second! Hill has the distinct advantage of not being saddled with any of the cavalcade of knobs on 7.

s**t coach who the players hate. He fluked a flag. They need to sack him but really hope they don’t
Let's hope they don't. We could do with a couple of their players.

He’s so smart. Just a natural footballer. That was also the best Impey has played since his knee injury. He was absolutely massive in the last.

Yes Ginni is football smarts and tough. I like him. Congrats on a solid win. Hi to Bumpy I know she will be chuffed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So many things to touch on, but I'll limit my initial thoughts to just one.

I'd love everybody to go back and watch the final few minutes and take notice of Jack Ginnivan.
We've heard about his footy smarts, and it was right there to see if you knew what you were looking for.

Multiple stoppages in the final minutes all over the ground, and Jack jumped in on most of them to ensure the ball didn't spill out and we got a repeat stoppage.
Bont was looking ominous that final quarter around those stoppages and Ginni ensured there was no chance of a ball spilling out of a pack into his hands.

He’s an actual good footballer. A real footballer despite the flashiness.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Two things

Watching the lions game, oh it was nice to not have Dwayne

Dear did well

But you can’t have him ruck next week
Against Hayes

How elite was our backline today

A lot of good performances across the ground but they as a unit were enormous

Watson missing that goal isn't great, think a lot of its in his head but good to see him later butter up with a great tackle and won a huge 1v2 on the wing. Sicily probably doesn't need to completely spit the dummy next time, his handball was just as sh**

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m team Jason Bennett myself, but Hill is a very close second! Hill has the distinct advantage of not being saddled with any of the cavalcade of knobs on 7.

Think he might be connected to 7 with his race calling. They might be looking at him to follow in the footsteps of McAveney who was a race caller before he started calling football. The timbre of his voice is certainly easy on the ear compared to the regular wafflers, mumblers and screechers.

Positives:
  • Meek's game was terrific throughout.
  • Moore stepped up especially in the final quarter, going into the middle to put himself right into the clearance battle.
  • Sicily's courageous effort, playing through injury.
  • Scrimshaw and Frost's commendable efforts against Norton and JUH.
  • A much better performance from Newcombe.
  • Macdonald really emerged as a goal threat in the absence of any talls.
Negatives:
  • Being nitpicky but we could have converted more of our 50 entries but understandable given we had no talls apart from a past his prime Gunston.

That win is borne of pure, unrelenting EFFORT

Only need to look at the top runners of the game, and it’s all brown and gold!

View attachment 1980459

Yes. I wanted to hang the fitness staff for red time goals. I’m sorry for that.

But holding the ball in, stoppage after stoppage was great to see. Play smarter not harder.

He’s clearly emerged as our No1 now. Up to him to keep that consistent level now.

Been terrific since he’s come back in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's averaging 14 disposals, 28 hitouts and 4 clearances a game this year. That's really decent output.

If he could just start to take a few more marks around the ground he'd move up to the next tier of rucks.

Just entering his prime years for a ruck as well 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back