Autopsy Round 8, 2024 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d definitely add frost. I feel confident when he’s in a one on one. Has been fantastic this year.
Frost has been Brian Lake like all year. Hasn't played a bad match. If I hear any negativity around him after what he has done so far this year I'll shut it down very quickly. Leads by example.

CBA's out of a max of 31:
27 - Meek
24 - Newcombe
22 - Day
19 - Nash
16 - Worpel
8 - Moore
4 - Mackenzie
4 - Dear

The TOG stats were interesting:
79% - Newcombe
78% - Day
71% - Worpel
70% - Nash

Newcombe was clamped in the second half. Day was ineffectual the whole game, with 12 touches and too many up-and-under kicks, and both Worpel and Nash played reduced gametime (symptom of not being able to be rested forward?). But we still won despite that.
I thought Day was quite good with his limited possession. Was in and under in packs. Missed a bit of footy and still finding this groove.

Well, thank you HFC. I really needed that after the past couple of days.

I lost one of my best mates (also aHawks supporter) to a stroke on Friday morning. He was only 56, and had no real health issues, so was a complete shock to us all. Spent yesterday with his wife. I’m so drained right now, but boy the adrenaline was flowing in that last quarter.

That win is for you Crackers. I will miss you mate. Bowling just won’t be the same without you on the lanes with me.

RIP Champ.
Condolences mate this one’s for him

Interestingly we have won contested possession in 6 of our 8 games this year. Only two losses were against GC and Dees. That’s a good starting point to build from for a young team.
For mine, contested possession is over-rated.

Obviously lots of factors can contribute to it, but the stat that really matters is this one 👇👇👇👇👇
1714903095917.jpeg

Scrimshaw is on angry pills this year.

His biggest weakness through his entire career is his intensity and application. Sam challenged him last year on this.

Surprise surprise he flicks the switch between the ears and he has become a completely different player.

Unlucky not to have two more contested marks today. One should have been paid as he controlled it all the way and the other was not quite 15 metres but still went up eyes only on the footy.

At the risk of being unpopular, I'm watching the replay and it's the first time in a long time the commentary hasn't made me want to pull a Van Gogh...

The lack of comments about the commentary in the game day thread says it all!

Didn’t have any expectations of a win so what a great way to finish the weekend!

Pressure was superb and composure when we could’ve buckled was outstanding.

Younger bridge of Ginny, Croc, Weddle, Mass and Dear played a big part and were well supported by the leaders today.

Sicily’s best game as captain IMO. Not stats wise but in terms of standing up and showing real grit. Moore outstanding again and Impey was immense. Even though he wasted some chances, Gunston’s leadership in the forward half was telling. Frost had a couple of errant kicks but geez he gives his all every time. Dimma also huge all game with his pressure and ability to switch roles.

Other players of note for mine included Meek who was massive again and has been one of our most consistent this year! Newk had some telling passages and he, Worpel and Nash got down and dirty. Even though Bont was superb (because he’s a superstar) those boys stood up.

Special mention to Scrim. Fast becoming a star in the key back role.

Not sure Chol gets a game next week off the back of that performance from Cal.

As good as Ginni is around the sticks, he looks just as comfortable further up the field.
Smart, classy player.
And we may look back and laugh at the price we got him for.
Considering the player they replaced him with has been underwhelming so far (Schultz) we could be making off like bandits in the long run. Pies fans already think he's no good.

List of things I liked seeing:

Weddle. Great defensive nous. Knew when to spoil and when to mark. Wasn't shy about taking the game on. And that goal.

Scrimshaw. Easily having a career best year. So reliable now and on top of that has added a level of toughness. He's a different (better) player since he laid that tackle on De Goey last year.

Croc. One bad miss but made up for it with 3 goals. In particular in the last that where he brushed off the contact and then straightened up to kick the goal. Similar to the one he missed late against the Pies in Gather Round.

Moore. Just works so hard. Never see him not giving his all. Could be AA if they pick it based on real positions.

Nuke. Seemed to be playing a bit more forward of centre today and was at his combative best with 7 tackles.

Sicily. Just repeating, great captain's game from him. Put his body on the line all day and when the game itself was on the line he went forward and won it. Goes to show that a great game from him doesn't require 30+ touches and 10+ intercept marks.

Dear and Gunston. Paired really well and if not for accuracy could have easily lived out my preview thread wish for them to combine for a bag of goals each. We've definitely got one with Dear. Most impressive was his work rate to fly at the packs and chase the opposition defenders.

Meek. Another superb game from him. 45 hitouts against English! Gets involved around the ground and doing really well at contributing to the scoreboard each week.
Don’t forget FROST - has been massive this year (despite being most people’s whipping boy) - that guy doesn’t know how not to give 100%

Watto has the effort and plays with the urgency that creates opportunities for himself but also causes him to lack composure when he needs it (that sic assists into the goal square). It will come.

Not the best look with his tantrum about Watson missing that certain sealer, but I can't say I wouldn't have let my frustration boil over if I was in his shoes.
I was really worried about the optics of this, I hope he pulled Watson in after his huge effort on the wing told him how awesome it was. Can't blame the lad for not quite having the composure in the biggest moment career so far, that'll come.

He's an emotional lad Sic, and moved heaven and earth for the team today, that one moment doesn't define him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Day was quite good with his limited possession. Was in and under in packs. Missed a bit of footy and still finding this groove.
Day was good and his up and under kicks were quite deliberate which shows his understanding of the game, the bulldogs strength is their intercept marking, and by hanging it up the air for longer actually makes it harder to mark.
It brought our forward pressure into the game which has been non existent for the most part this year

When Sic's shoulder popped out and went off I can't lie in that the thought crossed my mind that we could be in for a pretty big belting. However, these are the character building wins that can drive a club up from the doldrums and instil belief. Really impressed with Impey + Scrimma today down back and thought both those guys went when they needed to. Just so proud of all them really as they got tested multiple times especially after losing the lead but then finding the resolve and not making losing an option.
Weddle and scrimshaw went up a few levels when sis went down

Yes and no.

Not his first few minutes of the first quarter. Got involved in quite a pile up with lots of push, shove, crash and bash going on when as leader he really needed to be the one who pulled our players out of there and concentrate on the game that was ongoing.

Plus the you know the MRO will always look for something out of nothing and Sicily gave him something to look at.

So gutsy to come back after his shoulder was out and then later his ankle getting some attention. To go forward was a great move and added something.

Certainly his best game for the year after the early scuffles.
Completely wrong take. That's EXACTLY what we signed Sic up for to be captain. Argy bargy getting angry causing some heated confrontations THAN backing it up with his football actions. Moments after his scuffle is when he dislocated his shoulder because he flew into a marking contest as hard as I've ever seen him do. That's what leaders do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back