Autopsy Round 8, 2024 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be an unpopular opinion on this board but I'm way more comfortable with Scrim, Frost or Weddle playing a few CMs outsized than I would be with Phillips in the side. The difference in talent between those guys and Phillips more than makes up for it.

As it stands, Phillips is depth. He's not getting a run even when we're desperate.
FIFY

Now that the euphoria, endorphins, and adrenalin have subsided, there was a lot to like about that game. On paper, a better side than us, but only Bont really was consistent against us.

How about Impey - the quiet achiever - just went about his work without any fanfare; Moore was a beauty.. And, oh Dear.. what a great debut. And great to see his family celebrating enthusiastically in the stands.

Weddle was showing he is growing well into the role, and his footy smarts are coming along nicely. Day was sublime; Ward great; and Sic - that was a captain's show, alright!

And, what has happened to Meek.. from someone who many had cast real doubts on, he held his colours up nicely. The quieter mids had a great day out; Dimma was great up front and behind, and while I would have preferred Gunston to have kicked more goals than points, he was solid as and provide a much needed option up front.

I am sure I have missed at least three others. Well, at least one - shout to to CMAC.. when did he learn to play like that? And the second goal he kicked was bloody great. Oh, and another.. Scrimma.. yes.. effin great game, too. Even Frosty, with that mark coming in sideways..

Even the umpiring gods were not too harsh on us today, well except for most of the second and early in the third. Was it Ginnivan that was simultaneuously pushed in the back, driven into the ground and taken high? OK, the nearest ump may have missed it, but how many times have we had a call against us from an ump off the ball? Or is that not allowed anymore?

Listening to the commentary, Jack Reiwoldt seemed to want us to win, which was interesting given where his beloved tigers are on the ladder.

We still have a way to go, but today was about giving it all for the team mates and the jumper. Loved it.

Last edited:

Great game by the captain. I had this feeling that demons had got in his head after the first 2 minutes against Essendon, the double free, the feather like kick etc. He appeared deflated in each game.
Then the spoil when he popped his shoulder was the hardest he had gone at a contest all year. I believe it was the turning point for him and the team.
It was an angry heck this kind of spoil. The team sees their captain putting on the effort required and it lifts the whole group. He's our barometer along with Moore. If he's engaged in the right way we will play some good footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My God Leigh Montagne hates us

Its hilarious
It's weird, the year before last, he was quite complimentary of us and sounded quite grounded in his analysis. Now he comes across as another dumb ex footballer.

Dogs board real touchy this morning
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Dogs board real touchy this morning
The Dogs have a great lineup. If they're touchy about anything it should be Bevo, the fact that he tried absolutely nothing to get JUH into the game after being worn like a glove by Frost is an indictment. Mitchell and our leadership team swung things around, Moore went into the middle, Sic up forward, Hardwick down back, Day behind the ball. It won us the game.

For a coach who is so willing to mix things up in team selection and throw players into different positions pre-game, he's a terrible game day coach.

It was actually the tackling and the pressure. First time it's shown up all year. Question will be, can we bring it week in week out?

Yep. The team needs to bring this every week if they want to be competitive. I found it interesting and very satisfying watching players stick tackles with a vice like embrace of the opponent. Even better was the fact that team mates rushed to back them up and help hold the tackle. Holding hard tackles and working together in packs like this is something that they must have worked on because the tackling and teamwork up to this game had been very poor.

Such a great win, thought our leaders were exceptional today. That was a proper captain's game from Sis, loved seeing him throw himself into marking contests going back with the flight late in the game. Impey, Moore and Hardwick also terrific. Gunner could have had 6.

Surprised to see English's stats because I thought Meek gave him a bath today, he's turning into the archetypal premiership ruckman, just a brute who competes in the air and importantly at ground level.

Weddle had 15 touches but it felt more like he had 25 such was his influence, some fantastic spoiling, putting his body on the line but also a weapon heading forward. No idea where he'll eventually end up but I think his current role suits him pretty bloody well for now.

Was pretty disappointed with that effort from Ward late, could have cost us the game. And the Wiz.. I love everything else he does but what the * is going on with his finishing. He has left so many goals out there- how do we improve this? I think it may have been an issue for him in junior footy too which is a worry.
No idea where he'll eventually end up but I think his current role suits him pretty bloody well for now.
Loved Weddle in this role of tall defender, and his goal was freakishly good. Leave him there and unleash the SIS!

I don’t genuinely hate many players, but suck s*t Naughton you head band waring **********. I hate you
Me too! During those practise games where we were beaten convincingly in practise games yeah the way he was hopping around laughing his head off like a little kid playing at the park singing “Ring-a-ring-a-rosies” high fiving JUH after every goal wanted to reach through the TV to …….

The press will suck a little, this week. Will all be about "how did Bevo/Dogs lose that game & what's wrong" as opposed to "great win by the Hawks".

Will tune into Kane Cornes this morning for some Hawthorn/Sammy love.

Go Hawks.
You're spot on. The Age this morning has an article on the game spread over two pages. Only the last three paragraphs are about the hawks.

Beveridge keeps faith despite Dog's upset loss​

Remove this Banner Ad

Back