Preview Round 9, 2021: Hawks v Roos, 2:10pm 15th May @ UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most experienced tall forward on our list who was not recovering from back surgery? Gee, I wonder why.

We wonder why too.

But in all seriousness, you really can't say players will only get picked if they perform at Box Hill when TOB got dropped, and then brought right back without doing anything at Box Hill.

We wonder why too.

But in all seriousness, you really can't say players will only get picked if they perform at Box Hill when TOB got dropped, and then brought right back without doing anything at Box Hill.
Of course you can say that if you don’t ignore that a players with 100 games to their name, is not the same as a player with 3.

Couldn't care less about the spoon if it means we get Horne.

No offense but screw that, only Pick 1s to win a premiership in a premiership in the last 20 years are Hodge and Boyd, and neither were true Pick 1s for their teams given that we traded in the pick that got Hodge and Boyd was brought across from GWS.

I'd rather get a later pick and show a little bit more.

No offense but screw that, only Pick 1s to win a premiership in a premiership in the last 20 years are Hodge and Boyd, and neither were true Pick 1s for their teams given that we traded in the pick that got Hodge and Boyd was brought across from GWS.

I'd rather get a later pick and show a little bit more.
Finish 17th or 18th? Meh. Same s**t.
We're performing like a bottom side right now regardless. I'd prefer we at least get the best kid out of it.

T

This is the issue, when we lose confidence we do so in a terrible way, worse still, it takes 5-6 weeks to regain. Has been a constant for many years except 2018.
Its why the coaching group has a big task this week .
Its why throwing kids in isnt the answer.

We need JOM and Gunston in to guide and give leadership .

If we lose our next two games by over 10 goals and North Melbourne win their next two games they will overtake us on the ladder.
This is only true for a limited scoreline.

Winning is great for both our members and our players but ultimately if we walk away without the four points we’re closer to grabbing one of the best two kids in the draft and that’s ultimately what our list needs right now.

i specifically watched his game closely based on this criticism last week and this is simply based on preconceptions of his ability to kick and dispose of the ball and not on what actually happened. I recommend you watch the game again and keep an eye on his possessions

1). i did not see him miss a target by foot. there was one kick that was a bit loopy but 7-8 of his 10 were forwards, hitting a target, and quite often in the middle of the ground. If he didn't pinpoint, he was kicking it inside 50 or down the line about 50 metres — perhaps not ideal but certainly dispelling the notion that he just daintily chips it around the backline sideways and backwards

2). he loses most of his 'metres gained' because he handpasses backwards or sideways. he does this to release the outside players. watch him look for ball users like Wingard, Scrimshaw, Hardwick etc. He is the key to unlocking our run and carry, the problem is we lack the cohesion to get it going properly. He is averaging less kicks than he normally would, so that is a fair criticism.

3). He also made a number of good defensive plays (i think he had 2 intercept marks?) which is unusual for him. 17 of his touches were contested (the highest in the game), so to have an 82% Disposal Efficiency is very good. To contrast, Worpel (10 contested) had 70%, Sheed and Redden (15/12 contested) both 77%. He even had a higher DE than Gaff. He covered the ground extremely well. As did Worpel, from what I saw, though I didn't watch him as closely.

this was the best I've seen him with his disposal since 2018. I understand (though disagree) with the criticism of him generally, but not based on his game vs WC. He was great.

Look maybe I'm being a tad harsh on him, but I just feel that a player that is getting 30-40 touches a game should be influencing the game more. I just don't feel like he is impacting any games and if you look at his heat map, you'd see he gets a lot of it back of half. I don't rate disposal efficiency as a stat to defend players impact. We are ranked 4th in the league as a team for example, yet by watching our games, you'd know we've got the worst skills in the league right now.

Genuinely not sure whether to head up for this or just watch it on Foxtel and save a few hundred bucks.

Footy is a funny cycle these days, we get annoyed when out team does not win but come draft night we all yearn for a higher pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna sound weird but I'm not that disappointed with where we're at, and I don't believe in this " we're 5-6-7 years away from a premiership" nonsense tbh, things can turn quickly, just need to get these boys to play another 30-50 games together and with some smart list management decisions we can climb up the ladder in the next two years and as history shows, when the Hawks sniff success we have a great record of playing off for premierships.
Let's remember, although they were great players, the likes of Hodge Mitchell Lewis got better with age.
Most important thing is getting our list management decisions and strategies right.

I've got little constructive to say so I've been quiet. I will say, however, that it appears to me that the game plan/system is ineffective. It could be that the players are unable/unwilling to execute it but I tend to think that it likely falls over under the pressure of game conditions rather than practice conditions. Also, I suspect that it relies on high skill moves which are even easier to disrupt under game-level pressure.

Lastly, stoppage and midfield play has been shocking. We've got a Brownlow medalist, B&F and premiership warrior in there and it still looked a rabble on the weekend. Those three know how to play football. It makes no sense that they have forgotten how to play together. I tend to think the system is broken. I know we're in a multi-year retooling of how we play but the team-work aspect is wrong all over the place. I have come to think the system won't make it which is a bummer as it's always more fun to think othewise.

This may not be the week but feel it’s time to throw the magnets around. If we won’t go young at least try to set up for success.

Until we can transition the ball at speed (and also deal with fast ball movement the other way) we’re going nowhere and this isn’t a skill that can be just switched on - needs weeks and weeks of practice against afl opposition. Our defence is getting a lot of help from midfield and our slow ball movement meaning structures are in place - this isn’t good for the long term.

I’d put wingard to half back (partnering with Impey and silk when fit), CJ, scrim and Breust across the centre line and play a shorter forward line. One of our current mids can rotate and play a defensive wing option when needed.
Bench is full of mids to provide rotations.

Hardwick Hartigan Silk
Impey Frost Wingard
CJ Scrim Breust
Morris Kosi Ollie
Brockman Lewis Gunston
BB JOM Worpel
I: Mitchell Cousins Finn Shiels

Ins: JOM, Gunston, Silk, Morris, brockman, Finn
Out: Phillips, Jeka, Hartley, Moore, Morrison, howe

Note: I acknowledge zero chance of the above team being named.

Reckon we should remove the fencing around the middle of the ground at Waverley so the players can train using the middle of the ground to move the ball.

A hell of a lot harder to move the ball when you're restricted to 1/3 of the width of the ground and have to go back via your D50 to get it to the other 1/3 of the ground you're 'training' to use.

Cricket season isn't for at least 4 months so no need to protect the area.

We are Collingwood this week. The media is salivating at us losing. AFL fans will be keeping an eye on this game and if North are up at the start of the 4th, everyone will be tuning in to watch.

Put the crash helmets on if we get rolled Saturday.
So what. Nice to see we are relevant, even when we are irrelevant.

We're at ground zero of the rebuild, losses even to North don't mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back