Toast Round 9 = Collingwood 103-37 West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Old guy alert. Back in the VFL H&A days, a lot of the grounds were pretty ordinary. A lot had a cricket pitch in the middle that became like a cheese grater after drying out from being chopped up when it was a bog.
But you try telling the young people of today that, and they won't believe you.
But you try telling the young people of today that, and they won't believe you.
The first Yorkshireman speaking.

Very good win and percentage boost!!
Shame we have more injuries out of the game, but the "young" guys today, all looked terrific.
Joey Richards just looks a natural. Well balanced, good footy brain, reads the play well hence he made very good position in certain plays. Also really liked how he keeps his feet, and doesn't collapse to ground during a contest. If we had Elliott, McCreery and Schultz returning next week, Joey would still stay in the side. That's how impressive he was!!
Happy for Fin and McInnes. Both got better as the game went on. Thought Macrae tired our towards the end, but that's expected considering we had no bench. I thought Reef’s leading up the ground looked much better today, and he got the rewards.
Sulli looked even better today. He's hard to bring down in a tackle, and is still able to free hands and get the ball out to a teammate, which is impressive. He will be hard to dislodge from this side. If Mitchell is available next week, it may well be through the VFL, and I doubt DeGoey is back next week.
Hopefully Bytel is going ok, and isn't suffering too much from that bump from Darling. He too will have something to offer as depth deep into the season.
Daicos boys were brilliant. Moore was fantastic. Pendles just amazes everytime. At his age he probably still shouldn't be playing at this level of performance, but he's a freak. He probably gets Brownlow votes today!!
Thought Crisp and Sidey were in everything today. Great to see Sidey have two good consecutive weeks.
All in all, great team performance, shame about the injury toll, but bring on Adelaide next week.......GO PIES!!!!

Our lack of depth now seems to have been overstated.
Terrific win boys!
Great work from Fin, Joe, Sully, Reef.
Crisp & Sidey back in form at last.
Pendles never gets old.
Nick just did what Nick does.
Loved it!
Great win given the circumstances, I wouldn’t read to much into our depth though…was a game against witches hats at times.

Great confidence booster for some of the fringe players. Shame about Harrison and Bytel.

Senior players stepped up today, great leadership. Sidebottom was great.

Enjoyable game watching Sullivan, Reefe, Finn and Richards look like senior players.
Have to agree.
At one point the "last 10 Goals" were 9 Collingwood goals, only 1 to Howe and 8 to young kids.
That was very uplifting.

Missed the game so enjoying Kayo.

Half time summary…..thank you Ben Reid.

Found myself getting annoyed at West Coast at the ground today, they were just so bad. Good signs from a lot of players, but just feel like tempering the praise a little, given the opposition.
The final score was as good as I had dared hope mid-week.
Pencilled this one in as a danger game, exacerbated further by injury.

More than satisfied with the result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win given the circumstances, I wouldn’t read to much into our depth though…was a game against witches hats at times.

Great confidence booster for some of the fringe players. Shame about Harrison and Bytel.

These “witches hats” were ranked 1 for contested possessions in the last month according to Fly.
We smashed them with a second tier midfield and fwd line.
So I’m not taking anything away from the performances of the “depth” players.

Found myself getting annoyed at West Coast at the ground today, they were just so bad. Their supporters near us were clapping them off at half time. Have some shame! Good signs from a lot of players, but just feel like tempering the praise a little, given the opposition.
We were running on fumes as far as the available list goes, I give a lot of credit to our system, the senior players and our will today. A bit of disconnect at times with so many new guys in at once but despite the Weagles woes we did what a good side should do.

I didn't think Macrae was great, despite his 3 goals, which was obviously a great return.

Conversely Richards only kicked 1 and I thought he was brilliant.

Geez Pendles, Naicos, Crisp and Cameron were having none of an upset today. They were magnificent.

Naicos is so hardly marked now, his hands in tight were unbelievable and he will deservedly get the 3 brownlow votes.

PS.. I'm just going to leave this here for Captain magpie to stumble across.......

;% is no longer relevant to us for the rest of this season, unless we draw another match - unlikely. The media know this and won't focus on it all, because it's no longer relevant.
What if Carton and Melbourne draw?
We went 1min from drawing last game.
I reckon there will be t least one more draw this season given the closeness of many sides.

Of course percentage matters even if it's just a metric to make the side feel better.

Josh Daicos, doesn’t get many wraps here. Yes his second half was enormous when the game was done. But he’s just so clean, a great decision maker and user, and sets up so much play with crisp outlet handballs. Having a very good year.

Brereton is obsessed with Harley Reid. But every time Brereton started speaking, I involuntarily tuned out to him. He talks, and talks, and talks .....
He's a bit like Bucks in that they both talk a lot as commentators.
Bucks talks a lot of technical analysis and can be a bit boring.
Brereton just talks sh*t.

The players that came in couldn't really have done much more.
WC have played some good footy recently, but we just completely outplayed them.

1st Half = Entertaining, care-free going through the motions with a hint of hubris.
2nd Half = Lethargic garbage to be released on DVD as an insomnia remedy.
Result = Good enough, better than expected to be honest. An uninspiring yet acceptable 11 goal win.

Fresh injuries were the main focus of the day losing Howe, Harrison and Bytel. Depth is getting thin given it sounds like Elliott, McCreery & JDG still won't be availble for Adelaide. Hopefully Mitchell is back and Schultz comes in.

Disappointed with the injuries but pleased with the performance. To easily get over 100 with a make shift forward line is impressive.

Was McInnes injured or is he just slow? I never considered McInnes to be slow but a couple of his chases were poor.

It was super disappointing to observe how security and management deal with crowd issues. A guy (drinking but very sober) in standing room was yelling during the game (nothing really curse, more just constant). A youngish couple (sitting in the back row) complained as it was spoiling their enjoyment. Common sense would say either a) if you are that offended then move to another area or b) ask the guy in standing room to move one bay across.

However the solution of Stadium management was to call police and basically antagonise the guy and then kick him out. Absolute joke both from Police and stadium management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back