Toast Round 1 = Geelong 103-125 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, we got the run of frees in the last quarter. We also had the run of play in that quarter, with the Cats looking increasingly stupefied and flat-footed. The frees were mostly there.
It’s typical though, when one team has had the rub of the green, when the game has essentially been decided that the umps will magically even up the ledger so it doesn’t look like they’ve been favouring the other team.

Agree, plus we seen to get a lot of frees where we are already running with the ball which looks like we are doing well with the umpires when it makes no difference

This is true. Moore got one of these, and the commentators said something like “he gets the benefit of the doubt”, which is apparently what commentators think happens when a player in space has to kick backwards to a teammate, allowing the defense time to set up.

Most people’s first mistake is correlating the free kick count with how a team is treated by umpires

I’ll take 5 frees in front of goal over 15 on the wings and at half back any day of the week and twice on Sunday

It’s obviously not complete proof, however it is a good indicator of how teams fair in 50/50 calls… no s**t it’s not perfect.

Most people would agree Collingwood has done okay with the umps the past few years. Every team has howlers that go against them.

It’s obviously not complete proof, however it is a good indicator of how teams fair in 50/50 calls… no s**t it’s not perfect.

Most people would agree Collingwood has done okay with the umps the past few years. Every team has howlers that go against them.

I assume you mean excluding the 20+ frees not paid to Ginnivan last year despite being nearly decapitated? And the countless frees not paid to Cox over recent years for being mauled when playing up forward, just because he’s so big the umps seem to feel the holding and arm-chopping rules don’t apply to him?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion based loosely on those numbers but I fundamentally disagree.

I’m not sure there’s a team in the competition over the last two decades or more that’s been dudded on match turning decisions or been cost finals/flags more than us.

The only time I can think of where umpiring decisions arguably gave us a leg up and insurmountable momentum was in the 2010 Prelim

Go back and watch that first quarter of the 2010 Prelim and there were umpiring decisions and non-decisions that directly resulted in goals that gave us a level of momentum Geelong simply couldn’t overcome.

Outside that? The umps cost us an undefeated season in 2011, the flag in 2002, a Grand Final spot in 2022, a flag in 2018, a QF win in 2022, I can probably go on but there’s no point because I’m already aware how this post would look to most.

By the way, does the rule book state that you can push an opponent in the back with your forearm and out of the contest without being penalized. I wrote before the game that Hawkins and Lynch have had license to shove players in the back with impunity for years. That shove put Howe out of the contest therefore it affected his ability to compete and should have been a free kick. To make matters worse an innocuous nudge in the ruck from Cox a few minutes later was called "in the back" and he was penalized.

I still haven't recovered from the double handed shove Grundy copped from Finnlayson in the 2019 prelim which led to a goal and a huge momentum changer. It was every bit as bad as the non free kick when Ginnivan had his head ripped off.
This is one of the worst decisions I have ever seen in my life and the umpire was in perfect position to see it.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion based loosely on those numbers but I fundamentally disagree.

I’m not sure there’s a team in the competition over the last two decades or more that’s been dudded on match turning decisions or been cost finals/flags more than us.

The only time I can think of where umpiring decisions arguably gave us a leg up and insurmountable momentum was in the 2010 Prelim

Go back and watch that first quarter of the 2010 Prelim and there were umpiring decisions and non-decisions that directly resulted in goals that gave us a level of momentum Geelong simply couldn’t overcome.

Outside that? The umps cost us an undefeated season in 2011, the flag in 2002, a Grand Final spot in 2022, a flag in 2018, a QF win in 2022, I can probably go on but there’s no point because I’m already aware how this post would look to most.
We lost the final home and away game in 2011 but close to 100 points to Geelong. Not sure the umps are that influential.

We lost the final home and away game in 2011 but close to 100 points to Geelong. Not sure the umps are that influential.

I know, but they cost us the first game against Geelong

Once an undefeated season was off the table, we didn't care about the final round and phoned it in

That's not what happened even according to the players themselves. They just had no answer on the day.
Cats worked out that they could pick apart our press with 45 degree kicks - rather than playing into our hands by going down the line. It's why we put the press away for the granny.

I'm pretty sure if you look at the stats over the past few years, Collingwood has one of the best free kick differentials out of every team.

Does that mean we don’t get the rough end of the pineapple from the men in white? I think not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every team thinks they get screwed by the umps, it's called confirmation bias. When a decision goes our way we ignore it, when one goes against us we get outraged by it... which creates this fallacy in our mind that more calls are going against us.

The facts say the umps have been looking after us pretty well for a few years now.

Or they’re just paying the free kicks that are there and we’re still getting the rough end of the pineapple. I judge each free on its merits, both ours and the oppositions, and I’m rarely outraged whichever way they call it. I’m happy to say our record on winning 50/50 decisions isn’t great, that where we win ours isn’t as great a reward as other teams, and that we’re on the receiving end of more howlers (ie Ginni high tackle) than any other club I watch.

King was openly critical of Buckleys coaching and gameplan. I don’t think there was much love lost between the two.

Any negative comments he made about the Club during the Buckley era have been proven 100% correct. We were a absolute basket case after the 2020 trade period.

We were a basket case for basically all of Buckleys years as coach, except for 2018 and perhaps parts of 2019.

Have people forgot how s**t we were in 2021? 17th? The lowest position ever in our Clubs history.

No idea why you’d hold a grudge against King for just stating the bleeding obvious. He calls it how he sees it and when he sees something good, like McCrae and the 2022-23 Magpies, he rightfully praises it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Whilst I agree with your views on King, your assessment of Buckley's tenure is about the most nonsensical I've ever read anywhere.

Some player views from my perspective. The Daicos boys are just pure gold, it’s insane.

Pendlebury finds a way to impact in key moments, he was a large part of end of game dominance last year and he’s doing it again. Really steps up when needed most, sublime.

Sidey much the same, not as consistent as Pendles but when they going gets tough he’s in there making plays.

Cox and Cameron were very effective, as you’d expect given Geelongs poor ruck stocks. Cox definitely benefit from another tall option down forward, no longer getting crowded out. I love his agro and swagger, we need more of that. If our intercepting doesn’t improve down back I’d like to see them drop back more often.

Maynard was superb, defensively and on the rebound. Kicking was sublime in what was a very poor game skills wise.

Mcreery was a bit further up the ground at times, he converted his chances and ran hard. I just wish he would run in straight lines, pulls out of too many contests for my liking. Dropped that mark in the first on account of perceived pressure. It happens every week.

Mihocek was back to his industrious best, he’s up there with my favourite players.

The benefit of McStay up there for structure is already showing…I still don’t think he’s the key forward we absolutely needed…unless Cox is up there we don’t have that forward with reach that worries defences.

I thought Elliot competed hard. I really wanted him in the middle when we went Harlem globe trotter style.

Mitchell, just wow. I can’t remember last time we had such an extraction machine.

Adams was awesome as well, I really like his crumbing ability up forward. Tackle pressure as well.

Moore, I fell like he played the percentages a bit and should have gone for more intercept marks. The defence was a shambles too many east goals, and too often defenders were required to make decisions to leave their man. Poor Howe!!

Hill, another wow acquisition. That pass that was spoiled by Ratugolea…I thought no chance of him hitting a target…hit the right spot perfectly. Insane. He will be a weapon

Degoey I felt got on top when the team did. Great finishing in front of goals, some poor field kicking into 50 which was costly. He needs to turn games and lift to turn the tide when required.

All in all a solid performance, the skills will improve week on week.
Are you saying that you think McCreery is soft or doesn't go hard enough? Interesting. I've not heard anybody else suggesting this. I'll watch this to see what sort of response it gets.

....Mcreery was a bit further up the ground at times, he converted his chances and ran hard. I just wish he would run in straight lines, pulls out of too many contests for my liking. Dropped that mark in the first on account of perceived pressure. It happens every week....?????
General consensus is that McCreery is one of our hardest tacklers and a genuine hard nut - do you agree or disagree with this view?

Are you saying that you think McCreery is soft or doesn't go hard enough? Interesting. I've not heard anybody else suggesting this. I'll watch this to see what sort of response it gets.

Beau is the Total Opposite

General consensus is that McCreery is one of our hardest tacklers and a genuine hard nut - do you agree or disagree with this view?

Could it be that our coaching staff have already clued McCreery against attacking the initial contest too hard? His natural "bash and crash" style isn't favoured amongst the AFL fraternity any longer. Perhaps OUR coaching staff were a little more pre-emptive in toning down our hotheads (Maynard, Beau, Adams, Murphy) before they do anything silly. I've noticed that McCreery's first intent has changed from full on charging through opponents to waiting and assessing their movements before nailing them in tackles. (He earns frees from tackles also)

I think some of the criticism is he waits for opposition to get the ball so he can nail them rather than winning it himself. I dont think its something he does alot and certainly dont think its a major issue. Fly well and truly made it clear that him getting 20 touches is more than they expect and his pressure is what keeps him in the side

Whilst I agree with your views on King, your assessment of Buckley's tenure is about the most nonsensical I've ever read anywhere.
He just cannot let go of his idea of bucks

Apples, you’re trying to have a conversation with someone who has an irrational hatred of Buckley.

Rnd 1 Coaches votes

Geelong v Collingwood

10 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
6 Nick Daicos (COLL)
6 Esava Ratugolea (GEEL)
4 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
2 Jack Crisp (COLL)
1 Isaac Smith (GEEL)
1 Josh Daicos (COLL)

2 Daicos' in the votes. 😍

Status
Not open for further replies.