Toast Round 9 = Collingwood 103-37 West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it would be a 20-30 point win. Cameron, Nick, Pendles and Crisp completely demolished them in the middle. At one point it was 13-2 centre clearances. Total annihilation.
Joe looked really promising, for a player who's weakness is meant to be his pressure he applied a lot of tackles.
Sad HH got injured, would have been nice to see him join in the party.
Howe going down throws yet another spanner int he works for our forward structure next week

How did you reach the conclusion that the person was a jerk? What behavior is he accountable for? Just to clarify he was not over the top with swearing (I did not hear any swearing) - ' welcome to the AFL Harley Reid' - it was literally those type of comments but in a loud voice.

I used to be a regular in M10, M32 (mcg), Aisle 42 (Docklands) and the behavior today was very very mild.

When the Police / Stadium management have made their mind then a 'protest' only ends one way. They are very good at talking down at people.

If that is the tolerance level then you would have a lot of evictions on a weekly basis. Lol
You said he was drinking, but sober and constantly shouting.
People have every right to call stadium management to deal with such jerks.
Before they get drunk and more animated shouting leads to conflict.

It’s far better to act to preempt a bad outcome IMO.

A shout-out to Josh Daicos for FIFTEEN 4th-quarter possessions. That's the best he has played this season and he got better and better as the game went on.

It must be hard being the older brother of Nick at times but Josh is an outstanding footballer in his own right.

Hi Pies supporters.
Thought this Reid v Daicos hype a bit ridiculous, given Daicos is practically the best player in it. But what I came on here to say is, Daicos is an absolutely phenomenal player. Not that you need telling.
His vision, speed of hands, ability to move into space, and general kicking and handball skills are something else. He also hits the scoreboard a lot. I actually can't remember another player like him.
I had thought until recently he doesn't play with much physicality, but he doesn't need to, because he's so good at finding the space, getting around opponents, and quick to dispose. And he's upped his tackling numbers now anyhow.
Not only does he find the ball more than anyone, each of his possessions are more damaging than just about anyone else in the comp.

These “witches hats” were ranked 1 for contested possessions in the last month according to Fly.
We smashed them with a second tier midfield and fwd line.
So I’m not taking anything away from the performances of the “depth” players.
Nor should we, they did everything asked of them.

West Coast were down…48 tackles and 1 one of those inside 50 when you’re chasing the ball for most of the day is witches hat level pressure. Our forward entries were often uncontested. You don’t get that against top 8 sides.

We take the win, and the great performances across the board…especially from our inexperienced players. Let’s not build them up with expectation, only to tear them down when they have an off game against better opposition. String a few quality games together, then we can talk about it. Currently they are depth players in my book, hope their form continues on and improves through out the year.

Go Pies

Fly's presser

Pretty gutsy performance today, especially with some new players featuring and the injuries you faced during the week and again today?
"Yeah, really pleased. We came here today with the intention to see a few different Collingwood players that the fans hadn't seen and hadn't been exposed to [at] the level. I said before the game that we'll still have 23 Collingwood jumpers out there. I just want to look really connected and [I'm] really pleased for that part, that young guys getting opportunities that they've been craving for and then they jump at it. You look at Reef [McInnes] and Fin [Macrae] kicking three goals each and Joey Richards looks like he's a more than capable player at the level which we thought based on his form. You still got to go and execute. We're really pleased".
Is that the biggest outcome of the past fortnight if you include Lachie Sullivan that the squad depth is bigger than you anticipated?
"Yeah, and that's what this competition forces you to do and West Coast are going through it at the moment. They lose their best midfielder and then they lose their best key forward and he's nearly winning the Coleman [Medal], that's difficult to replace. You can't replace certain levels of your talent, but all you ask is for guys to come in and do the job. For us today, we asked them to come and do your job, and we got a little bit more. That won't always be the case, but all those guys come in and impacted the game, which is really pleasing".
Jeremy Howe was thrown forward, but went down with injury. What do you do now?
"Well this is it, isn't it? I'll just go back onto the development side, I want to give credit to our development team. Josh Fraser, Andy Otten, Nev Jetta, Chloe McMillan and Harmit Singh. They're doing a fantastic job. Right now they're copping it at VFL level. The VFL are struggling because there's a flow on effect, but they've done an incredible job to get these young players ready to perform. That's career ownership, but getting the players ready, setting them up to succeed is awesome so well done to our team".
The forward line was drastically different today, but you still managed 10 individual goal kickers. That must've pleased you?
"Yeah, and that's around the point of what will you do next? We're really proud of our defensive efforts today. We kept an opposition to 37 points, and that's really difficult to do. They [West Coast] kicked five goals and I'm really confident we'll find a way to score. What that equates to who knows? We had 10 individuals goal kickers this week and we've had that in over time. We're not a forward line that's relied on someone kicking five or six goals, that just hasn't been our story. It may not be our story, but we'll find a way to score through good system".
You scored very heavily from centre clearances which is some sort of record?
"Is it? We learnt some good lessons against the Bombers we got smashed around that phase and in the next two weeks we're really positive around what that looks like. They're one of the best centre bounce clearance scoring teams in the comp going into this game so we knew that was a big part of the game".
You talk about young players in terms of depth, but what have they provided in terms of bringing energy into the team?
"Well certainly when they kick for their first goal it provides an enormous amount of energy, not only for the players but all of our staff. There's an excitement about youth, there is. When you're young, bring energy. When you're old, try to bring energy and we saw Steele [Sidebottom] go to half back today. He looked really lively and did some really nice things for us. This is a long competition, a long year and along the journey you find out about yourself. Every team is gonna go through some form of injury management, and this is what comes next which is the important part".
On the injuries, what is the early sense with Harvey Harrison and Jeremy Howe?
"Howie's got an adductor strain. Not major, but he's likely to miss a game or two. I don't know, but he's unlikely to play in the coming weeks. Harvey [Harrison] rolled his ankle. Just a standard sprain. We've got a 6-day break, but unlikely to play, but you never know. We'll see how that progresses".
Did Jack Bytel have a concussion?
"Yeah, Jack got concussion. A young lad comes in and he's got a second opportunity. He looked really at home, he did. He did some nice things for us. Took a nice mark and did other little things, so there's some comfort in knowing that there's some trustworthy guys waiting to get their opportunity".
On Steele Sidebottom, you mentioned he played defence and that's the first time that's happened in his career. What was the discussion with him like before that?
"It was good. 318 games and never played back. Funnily enough, it's 20 metres further down the ground than what he normally plays. He helps our backline out a lot at stoppages. He's a smart player, and he can read the play really well and he was really important today. I'm looking forward to watching the replay of all the things that I saw live. It's exciting for him".
Did Sidebottom need that move to get his form going?
"I think his last couple of weeks have been progressing towards this and a change of role can give excitement. I did chat to him and he said 'I've got a bit of excitement in my stomach, you know a new challenge and a new opportunity'. I don't want to put ceilings on our players. This game will, 'you're too old or you're too slow'. Why would we? Just get better. Today was better. Better than potentially he's ever been. Clearly as a back he's never done it so will that prolong his career? I'm not sure, but it's certainly a good step towards it".
Do the injuries alter how you might manage some of those veterans, and it's forcing your hand in terms of you manage them now if you can?
"We've been pretty deliberate in what we want in terms of you see early in the season resting some of our players or managing. We had a plan to do the same. Now I think we got a couple of three 6-day breaks coming. We're pretty deliberate whether it's game time, whether it's training loads, whether it's resting. We've been forced a bit. Jordy's [De Goey] forced and Tom Mitchell's forced. These things are in front of us. We can't control, but there is an intent to look after our players. It's a long year".
Nick Daicos and Jack Crisp led from the front and filling the void with those experienced heads missing?
"Yeah, and Jack [Crisp] in particular. That's Jack best game by far. Everything that we want of Jack was there. High run, inside 50s, led inside 50s, high pressure, second highest on the ground. Then there's Nick [Daicos]. I think they [West Coast] tried to tag him in the second half and he's just such an incredible worker. He led tackles for us and he led contested possessions. 17 contested possessions. Apparently he gets the easy ball".
Back to Joe Richards and Fin Macrae, they were impactful in the first half when the game was up for grabs?
"Yeah, and you can only look above the level of VFL, and then you get your chance and then he gets his chance on talking about Joey [Richards]. He was the highest pressure player on the ground, in your first game and set up many goals. Kicked his own, maybe unlucky not to get a couple. Really clean; same with [Lachie] Sullivan. Looks really clean. Harvey Harrison, really clean at ground level and in tune with the game. That's exciting for those young lads".
You love the storytelling since you've been at the club, but you must love the story with Joe Richards only playing at Wangaratta two years ago?
"I remember Dekka telling me about him, and he's got this kid from Shepparton. I think half of Shepp was here today watching. He's been a guy that you could tell that was coming, but it was early days. I'm talking last year. It's like 'oh okay, yeah maybe'. But this year, it's been like 'okay this guy looks too good for VFL' and then he looks ready to play AFL. We've got a pretty good array of small forwards. Beau McCreery, Lachie Sullivan and Bobby Hill. It's hard to go past those guys, but all of a sudden the opportunities present and you go 'Okay, we've got one more' that can do all the things that we need when we need them".
What has Joe Richards done to improve himself since he's been at the club?
"Physically, he look stronger. Come back after pre-season, he looked like a strong young man and then role compliance. Diligence. We have a 'development player of the month' and he won it in April for doing all the things that make you want to get better every day. You don't fluke this stuff. I say that regularly. You know, you turn up here you can hope that you play well but sometimes you come here with great belief because you've done the work".
Lachie Schultz will be back next week, but will anyone else return?
"We're hoping, but there's still some to play out. Jordy [De Goey] and Tom [Mitchell] will be a race to the line, but there's some chance at this stage".
What about Jamie Elliott returning?
"We're going to get an update on Jamie. We'll probably release that early this week. There's just been some stuff that's been grumbling so it might be a bit more than one week".
What about Beau McCreery?
"Beau McCreery won't be available next week. He hasn't come up in the protocols at enough time, so he'll miss another week but likely [to return] the week after".

Hi Pies supporters.
Thought this Reid v Daicos hype a bit ridiculous, given Daicos is practically the best player in it. But what I came on here to say is, Daicos is an absolutely phenomenal player. Not that you need telling.
His vision, speed of hands, ability to move into space, and general kicking and handball skills are something else. He also hits the scoreboard a lot. I actually can't remember another player like him.
I had thought until recently he doesn't play with much physicality, but he doesn't need to, because he's so good at finding the space, getting around opponents, and quick to dispose. And he's upped his tackling numbers now anyhow.
Not only does he find the ball more than anyone, each of his possessions are more damaging than just about anyone else in the comp.
Good comments, and I agree on the ridiculousness around comparing Daicos and Reid. Daicos has a 2-year head start on him at the moment.

Thought Reid showed glimpses today but it was difficult given the Eagles were struggling overall. Loved that mark he took in the first quarter. Even I nearly applauded that which is rare.

Good comments, and I agree on the ridiculousness around comparing Daicos and Reid. Daicos has a 2-year head start on him at the moment.

Thought Reid showed glimpses today but it was difficult given the Eagles were struggling overall. Loved that mark he took in the first quarter. Even I nearly applauded that which is rare.
Yes Reid is going to be top shelf, but will be different to Daicos. Won't get it as much probably, but have a different type of impact.
What Reid needs still is (1) build his tank (2) learn when & how to best use his many weapons and (3) a better midfield around him (although to a large extent he'll drag them along with him). But that will all come.

Anyhow, Bucks was my favourite player as a youngster so I've always had a soft spot for the Pies, and barracked hard for them in every GF, apart from the obvious one. So good luck for the rest of the year, with the exciting brand of footy, big crowds/noise, and humility of leaders Macrae & Moore it is an easy team to get behind.

Jack Crisp really does love a challenge. He got the hint after being made sub in the Lions game & was the difference in that match.

You could see him lift again last week with more mid responsibility.

I thought he was fantastic today, involved in absolutely everything.

It was literally a lady in her 30's went to security and complained that the guy had been yelling all game and it was ruining her enjoyment of the game. Her boy friend /male friend backed her up etc. Neither party in the exchange swore at each other.

It's almost like she had never sat behind standing room before lol

Anyway security at first came over and had a chat. The guy was like what have I done wrong? I'm not swearing etc

It basically escalated from there.

If I understand correctly it took so long to remove him as the initial behavior was probably not enough. Hence they talk and talk and talk until they get an excuse and then bang you are out. Disgraceful.

I remember the GWS final last year - there was a GWS fan (dressed in a giants suit) on Level 2 Pony end whose sole purpose was to annoy the Collingwood fans. I reckon at least 5 to 10 people complained to security and nothing happened. This guy certainly used language that lets say was colourful and not appropriate for kids. Yet the complaint fell on deaf ears. Now deliberately provoking fans is not on and that should result in an eviction.
Sounds like you might have been reading the exchange wrong. Police and security at the footy aren't going to waste their time talking and talking to someone to try and provoke a reason to kick them out. For starters, they don't get paid on meeting an eviction quota, it's a lot more paperwork and even if there happened to be one loose cannon in the group who actually enjoyed getting in scuffles, the overall aim is de-escalation. Punting people in general is just a pain in the ass for them.

The more likely scenario is that they talked and talked to try and get the guy to simmer down and he didn't take the hint. Even from the start, going down a "Sorry guys, I get a bit over the top" line instead of the "What have I done wrong...?" line would have likely ended the issue right there.

Last edited:
Sounds like you might have been reading the exchange wrong. Police and security at the footy aren't going to waste their time talking and talking to someone to try and provoke a reason to kick them out. For starters, they don't get paid on meeting an eviction quota, it's a lot more paperwork and even if there happened to be one loose cannon in the group who actually enjoyed getting in scuffles, the overall aim is de-escalation. Punting people in general is just a pain in the ass for them.

The more likely scenario is that they talked and talked to try and get the guy to simmer down and he didn't take the hint. Even from the start, going down a "Sorry guys, I get a bit over the top" line instead of the "What have I done wrong...?" line would have likely ended the issue right there.
If you don't like people yelling, don't go to the footy, go somewhere quiet. Simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree the aim is de-escalation.

If the only way to de-escalate (in a non violent situation) s an eviction then they have failed.

The guy is on TV all the time - I just can't remember if he is in AFL members on TV or in the Cheersquad area at the MCG. So I reckon most people would recognize by face.

Man, the kid kicked 3 goals and for 3 quarters by and large managed to at least halve most of his contests against one of the best intercept markers in the game. If Ollie had exactly the same game for us you’d be thrilled.

Your posts on Reef are weird.
I don’t really see what others do about the kid that’s all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I hope he makes it and becomes a regular, quality senior player.
I’m thrilled Reef had that game.

He is still 21 and a month older then Nick and playing as our full foward. There is still a lot of potential development still. I'm not writing him off this early.
Me either. I personally don’t see what others obviously do though. More than happy to be wrong and time will tell. Just doesn’t ’grab me’ as a player.

They did go head to head several times in the centre square didn’t they? That tweet has aged well 😂
He followed it up with something like "why do I feel like Nick is going to embarrass me".

I don't think Mr Schofield needs to worry. He is perfectly capable of embarrassing himself constantly without any help from others

11 goal win on that soulless shithole of a venue. Take that any day of the week and move on.

Great to see young players on the fringes get their chance and take it. Reef, Fin and Richo. Poor JB, not a pies debut to remember but he seems a ripper, on and off the field.

Fingers crossed we get some cavalry back next week. The Crows have been a thorn in our side recently. They play a brand that tests us across 4 quarters.

Haven't lost since March. Keep it going boys.

People need to start learning that the AFL app lists a player as injured literally the second they lie down to get a physio rub.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's annoying as fcuk though when you're not at that game and following via the AFL app. Surely they can sort out a better method then listing a player as injured when they're just cramping or have a cut to the melon.

These “witches hats” were ranked 1 for contested possessions in the last month according to Fly.
We smashed them with a second tier midfield and fwd line.
So I’m not taking anything away from the performances of the “depth” players.

Having watched a fair bit of the Eagles recently, they've been quite good. They were missing their 2 in form players in Yeo and Waterman. Their depth is putrid and that clearly was a factor yesterday.

The result yesterday says more about where we're at and the improvement we're making as the season progresses. We obviously smacked them in the mouth early with our pressure and they haven't experienced that for a while.

We can't afford more injuries though. Playing sides over the next few weeks who sit just below us on the ladder so we need to maintain this form and consolidate our top 8 spot, in turn pushing for the top 4.

How many weeks for Darling?
In previous years he’s a chance to get off, but with the mro crack down on any high contact this year it’s difficult to see how he doesn’t get suspended. There’s also no real room to move in the grading table. High impact, reckless and concussed is 3 weeks.

Bytel being off balance played a big part, but Darling braced when had the option to push with his hands instead. That’s trouble this year.

Looks like Nick Daicos has realised he’s got greater strength this year in recent weeks and is now starting to use that strength in the contest. Has added another level to his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back