Review Rucci's Best 22 of our 25 years in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Had Walker just in front of him. Could play forward and back though. Very good player at this best but had injuries.

Toughest position on the field to fill. Walker is still majority potential at the moment, had one pretty good year ... then the injury. Next year will be telling for him. Stevens premiership maybe puts him ahead at this stage. I don't want to put two club players in unless they really really deserve it. Very hard call.

B: johncock, rutten, bassett
Hb: smart, bock, hart
C: k Johnson, McLeod, Goodwin
Hf: Douglas, walker, burton
F: d jarman, modra, Edwards
R: Rehn, ricciuto, s Thompson
I: robran, bickley, mcguiness, McDermott.
Give it another year...

B: johncock, rutten, Bassett
Hb: smart, Talia, Hart
C: Smith, McLeod, Goodwin
Hf: Dangerfield, walker, Burton
F: d jarman, modra, Betts
R: rehn, ricciuto, s Thompson
I: robran, Edwards, Sloane, k Johnson

I just saw this in the article:

"RUCCI SAYS: Scott Thompson served his apprenticeship at Melbourne before returning to SA to play with a club he did not support after being a Port Adelaide SANFL product."

WTF? Why Rooch, Why? Another little dig, little stir ... this absolutely pointless one surely captures the very essence of Rooch.

I just saw this in the article:

"RUCCI SAYS: Scott Thompson served his apprenticeship at Melbourne before returning to SA to play with a club he did not support after being a Port Adelaide SANFL product."

WTF? Why Rooch, Why? Another little dig, little stir ... this absolutely pointless one surely captures the very essence of Rooch.
The guy is a self loading tragedy.. What ever that means! But im sure you get the drift ;)

So my reasoning is players in your team should actually be able to compete against other teams best of all time.

Hart Rutten Basset
McLeod Talia Bock
K.Johnson Goodwin Burton
Vardy Walker Smart
D. Jarman Modra Betts

R. S Jacobs, Riccuito, Goodwin

I/C Rehn, S.Thompson, Edwards, Dangerfield

Our best lines for the entire team could compete with pretty much any other club's all time best team ... except the half forward line. We are severely lacking there, not one standout candidate / lock really. Can fill a hell of a full forward line tho!

This doesn't make any sense:

"Of the 22 all-time best at Adelaide, only two players remains in the AFL - but both are not with the Crows. Douglas, the 2010 club champion, is still at West Lakes. The missing Crow is 2009 club champion Bernie Vince"

He says there are only 2 current players on the list and they are both not at the Crows.... Then the next line says Douglas is still at West Lakes. WTF

That part had me scratching my head for most of the day. He completely forgot Thompson! So there are 3 current players on the list and one not a Crow Rooch. No freakin' idea!

FB: Johncock - Rutten - Hart
HB: Smart - Bock - Goodwin
C: Burton - Thompson - Edwards
HF: Dangerfield - Walker - Vardy
FF: Jarman (D) - Modra - Betts*
1st: Rehn - Riccuito - McLeod
Int: Bickley - Johnson - McGuinness - Robran

* I've taken some poetic licence but he is the best forward pocket whose ever played for us.
Looking at the bolded just makes me wonder - how in gods name did we fail to win a premiership in either 05-06.

For me the foundation that must start a team needs to look like this.

F: D.Jarman ~ Modra
HF:
C: Burton ~ Ricciuto ~ Edwards
HB: McLeod ~ Bock ~ Hart
B: Bassett ~ Rutten ~ Johncock
R: Jacobs ~ Thompson ~ Goodwin

Int: Smart

After that, it comes down to personal opinion to decide who plays the other 7 spots in the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The original 19th man. Well not sure if the original ... but most memorable. Except us.
Mark Stevens more memorable than Patrick Dangerfield? :drunk:

Our best lines for the entire team could compete with pretty much any other club's all time best team ... except the half forward line. We are severely lacking there, not one standout candidate / lock really. Can fill a hell of a full forward line tho!
I don't know.
I'm leaning to having Walker and Dangerfield along there.

Looking at the bolded just makes me wonder - how in gods name did we fail to win a premiership in either 05-06.

Unfortunately Ricciuto, McLeod, Burton and Bock all went into the 2006 finals either injured, f'ing sick with Parvo Virus or recovering from long term injury. Plus there was a whole bunch of other injuries leading into/during that finals series, not the least of which being Hentschel and then Biglands knee halfway through the prelim.

Such a shame for a lot of those blokes and for Craig IMO as we were clearly the best side in the competition for the majority of that year.

2005 there were less injuries, although we were severely disadvantaged by playing West Coast, in Perth in round 22, then losing Ricciuto and Bock for our QF against the Saints.

Anyway, its all coulda, shoulda, woulda kind of stuff now, just a massive disappointment for our club that we couldn't capitalise on being the best side throughout the minor round, ultimately choking come finals time.

Bassett Rutten Johncock
Smart Hart Bickley
Edwards Thompson Goodwin
Burton Robran McGuiness
AJarman Modra DJarman
Rehn Riccuito McLeod

Pittman McDermott Jameson Vince

In 12-24 months time:
Jameson - Talia
Robran - Walker
Vince - Dangerfield
McDemott - Sloane