Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
As mentioned in this thread, the fact police say no concern to public means they know its targeted.

Yep I agree and it probably means it wasn't a random camping out or opted out living wild in the bush and still on the loose to possibly menace or hurt somebody else.

Did I hear correctly that a reporter asked whether any search warrants had been executed and the cop said something along the lines of “we can’t answer that as of yet” reporter followed with “if it was a no would you have just said no?” To which the cop laughed and said “no comment”

To me they know a lot. They just don’t have the smoking gun as yet.

They could make that cctv open source and the public could volunteer their time watching it imo. That's a lot of hours to get through.

They could put safeguards in and there would probably be enough of the willing, it could be checked twice to be sure.
That would probably breach about 100 different privacy and civil liberty acts. The last thing the cops need is a group of vigilantes having access to the sensitive private and personal information of innocent citizens.

That would probably breach about 100 different privacy and civil liberty acts. The last thing the cops need is a group of vigilantes having access to the sensitive private and personal information of innocent citizens.

Who said vigilantes would check in? I did say with appropriate 'safeguards' but it's moot anyway. AIs doing it now.

I couldn't think of anything more boring than sitting through thousands of hours of CCTV or a bigger waste of police resources. I'd volunteer to take a few hours of the load and not because I'm a vigilante or even half interested in interfering in a police investigation.

Police are really putting on some pressure over the last 48 hours. I expect this one to get solved, I wasn't so confident a few days ago.

Advice for future crims as obvious as it may be, leave the phone at home and ditch the phone of your victim asap. Seems like the phone pings have tied a few things together and they just need something to seal it.
I know you don’t mean it like that, but why would we give the campaigners advice?
My advice to future crims is to put your knife into the toaster.

Last edited:
The police are obviously not telling us everything as they should, question is did the husband leave the house at all? Hard to imagine her killed her/buried her and made it home all within a couple of hours?
If the husband was directly involved he would have been seen on CCTV or dashcam footage. Police aren't telling us everything but I would guess noone else left the house that morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it does end up involving husband (I don’t think it will)
It would be the biggest reality check ever. I know couples who have dined with them, attended heaps of things with them, had their kids stay there all sorts of things and it’s all. “Awesome couple, he’s as chilled and quiet as, she’s a legend (the Sam I knew was and very confident). Perfect couple etc.
So if it is him, well then you just never know, ever.

The police are obviously not telling us everything as they should, question is did the husband leave the house at all? Hard to imagine her killed her/buried her and made it home all within a couple of hours?
Why should the police detail the minutiae of their investigation?

Daniel Morcombe’s killer was only unaccounted for for just over half an hour.
Surely the husband went looking for Samantha before he called the police.

Daniel Morcombe’s killer was only unaccounted for for just over half an hour.
Surely the husband went looking for Samantha before he called the police.
Interesting point actually. I've had multiple hours where my partner hasn't responded to my messages, purely because she's been having fun with her friends and not checked her phone.

Did he try and ring her phone before reporting her missing? You'd assume so?

Interesting point actually. I've had multiple hours where my partner hasn't responded to my messages, purely because she's been having fun with her friends and not checked her phone.

Did he try and ring her phone before reporting her missing? You'd assume so?
I’d think he would have tried phoning and gone looking for her if he was worried enough to call the police and I think the police would have asked him if he’d looked for her. If he didn’t it’s strange and if he did he was either looking for her or a great excuse to be at the area.

yeah Doug Carter and leazenby both said no danger to public, they say this not to scare the community, reality is until the person is caught or they know for sure you can never be certain
Not sure about this, I think if they thought this was random they'd be saying be vigilant etc. To say to there's no danger to public means this was targeted.

Not sure about this, I think if they thought this was random they'd be saying be vigilant etc. To say to there's no danger to public means this was targeted.

Added risk too with Samantha potentially the victim of a serial offender with a serious attack on a woman only a year ago running forest tracks around Ballarat. Meaning, they know it's not him imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back