Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
It's not unusual for one partner to party on whilst the other doesn't.

We have no idea what his gf, friends, family may have suspected at any time during the past 6 weeks. Or whether they contacted the police about their suspicions.

One might suspect their partner is cheating on them if they're acting weird, secretive, distant towards to you .. who would think their partner had murdered someone?
Might depend a little. If he rolled up home later than you expected with a crappy excuse, just as the news lit up with her disappearance, then a seed might at least be planted.

Plenty of others in similar circumstances have not suspected a thing though.

Last edited:
It's shocking isn't it? I would have thought what he was building towards occured, tragically
We’ll inevitably find out more. On the available evidence he doesn’t have the same screaming red flags the others did (family intact and seem like good people) but we don’t have very much.

I’d take our justice system over the US every day of the week but there is something to be said for their blatant lack of concern for secrecy or frankly the presumption of innocence in their crime reporting.

Were they house sitting at that time, or did it start later?
So many unknowns. I’ve wondered if she was actually there at the house that Wednesday morning when he was arrested.

I believe she’s a Vet student through Charles Darwin Uni. Not sure how much can be done remotely v on campus, but I think Uni would’ve started for the year by the time of his arrest.

I can’t imagine having to carry on living with him if she suspected his involvement in Sam’s disappearance, let alone if she’d given information to police. Poor girl, she’s another victim in all this.

In Ballarat, for years, you kept to your own 'group'. For generations there was virtually no cross religion marriages, when my (Catholic) sister married into a extremely prominent family, she had to sign a prenup that she would not introduce the catholic church to any children, that was in 1994!!! Sam and Mick are from that generation where it was drummed into us not to mix, even though by that time we were doing more than mixing!! I left the town for twenty years, came back 8 years ago and that mentality still existed. It's not nearly as bad, but all the old riche families still go to Lonnie or Lorne for summer, they're still on the Sovie Hill Board, still own most of the rental properties in town, probably still wish that Sir Henry was still the Premier!!!
She may have been popular, but may never have noticed the POS, and I don't know about Oren's family being prominent, blow ins usually take twenty years to be just recognised in the street up here...
Interesting. Even if POS' family was considered nouve riche/ not part of the Murphy's social group or people they interacted with, I still find it odd the families didn't at least know each other or regularly interact on some kind of surface level.

I only say this because I know from my son's school that the interaction with all the other parents is pretty full on. Daily drop offs and pickups, sports carnivals, information evenings, pastoral care activities, art exhibitions and other displays, constant birthday parties of classmates...even if you don't particularly like someone, rest assured they'll be in your face. Constantly.

At the very least, wouldn't Samantha's daughter remember POS from her grade? She's only 22 so it wasn't that long ago?

I'm not saying they were attending BBQs together but they surely knew each other even as just school acquaintances?

Only other link between POS and Samantha appears that they were both fit and lived near the running tracks so possibly had seen each other running before.

Not to speculate on the current case but I've been doing some general reading this evening regarding people who murder (these are from academic journal articles).
The first general comment I want to make is that people who murder often have an offending history and an escalation of offending leading up to the homicide.
The other is a direct quote "In the context of sexual murder, offenders with organized psychological characteristics tend to move the body after committing homicide."

I hope this does not break any rules - please feel free to remove if so.
Yes to your first point. Second point, where did you read that?

When you take into account the rumours and the image he presents on social media you would think that he would fall into the disorganised category. People have mentioned panic, accident etc. In my option POS falls into the organised category. Samantha may have been a random victim but my money is on this whole thing being premeditated. And I am certain he’s had a rehearsal. Yes, at first I had Mick in the cross hairs. Sorry to say, as lovely as the husband is a lot of the time they are the perp.

When you take into account the rumours and the image he presents on social media you would think that he would fall into the disorganised category. People have mentioned panic, accident etc. In my option POS falls into the organised category. Samantha may have been a random victim but my money is on this whole thing being premeditated. And I am certain he’s had a rehearsal. Yes, at first I had Mick in the cross hairs. Sorry to say, as lovely as the husband is a lot of the time they are the perp.
Agree with this.

I think I'll wither away if it's mentioned again that this was an accident.

If he's a normal, upstanding citizen with no priors and a good conscience, I'd love to see the size of his stress-induced stomach ulcer he would have gotten from keeping that secret to himself. I personally would have snapped after 1 week and handed myself into the police.

But from what we know of, so far, he was fine to go about his business until he was arrested and is still yet to cooperate. Doesn't scream accidental to me.

What would you expect the police to reveal before the court case? They have laid their charges. The police will still be gathering more evidence & providing it to the prosecution for the court case, not to the media.

Probably the only thing that could be would be a confession

Agree but it was never the husband and all that innuedo was disrepectful to the family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had read this but I'm struggling to understand. Police said that he was not cooperative. I thought he'd remained silent.
Or was it 30 hours of arguing?
They would be going over the same questions looking for inconsistencies, applying pressure, telling him they have evidence and that they know he's guilty , tryng to find out where the body is and waiting for him to crack and confess.

Last edited:
I had read this but I'm struggling to understand. Police said that he was not cooperative. I thought he'd remained silent.
Or was it 30 hours of arguing?
If it’s 30 hours I’d assume he was giving some answers (ie not a no comment interview) but not cooperating by giving them anything meaningful.

Interesting. Even if POS' family was considered nouve riche/ not part of the Murphy's social group or people they interacted with, I still find it odd the families didn't at least know each other or regularly interact on some kind of surface level.

I only say this because I know from my son's school that the interaction with all the other parents is pretty full on. Daily drop offs and pickups, sports carnivals, information evenings, pastoral care activities, art exhibitions and other displays, constant birthday parties of classmates...even if you don't particularly like someone, rest assured they'll be in your face. Constantly.

At the very least, wouldn't Samantha's daughter remember POS from her grade? She's only 22 so it wasn't that long ago?

I'm not saying they were attending BBQs together but they surely knew each other even as just school acquaintances?

Only other link between POS and Samantha appears that they were both fit and lived near the running tracks so possibly had seen each other running before.
I live in a town of 3000 people with three kids going to the same school and I wouldn’t know hardly any of the kids or parents. I only know who my kids associate with.

A part that I'm trying to work out the timeline for is based on this quote from a Daily Fail article posted yesterday

"It is understood Stephenson was with his long-time girlfriend and their friends out partying in Ballarat the night before Ms Murphy's disappearance."

Let's believe this is 100% factual. You would presume they arrived and will be leaving together to go back to the property they were house sitting. Obviously, there's several scenarios that could contradict them leaving together (She's tired/sick & he wants to kick on).

I am just trying to wrap my head around her not even having the slightest inkling that something was suspicious with the accused the days after and for the next 5 weeks. I personally would start questioning things in my head about the odd time he may have arrived back to the house. I just cannot conceive the idea she had 0% suspicion or knowledge of that night.

But alas, I am not an investigator!
I'd say it's pretty normal for a drug user (recreational) to kick on until the next morning and not be contactable by their partners. It's a regular occurrence for males to sit around a lounge room for hours into the morning not using their phones, snorting lines and talking/listening to music. POS strikes me as this sort of young guy.

Agree with this.

I think I'll wither away if it's mentioned again that this was an accident.

If he's a normal, upstanding citizen with no priors and a good conscience, I'd love to see the size of his stress-induced stomach ulcer he would have gotten from keeping that secret to himself. I personally would have snapped after 1 week and handed myself into the police.

But from what we know of, so far, he was fine to go about his business until he was arrested and is still yet to cooperate. Doesn't scream accidental to me.
Yeah, the lack of initial evidence certainly points to no accident. Someone in a panic would surely have left evidence on the day, though he would know the area very well.

You would think if it was a genuine accident his legal team would have advised him to cooperate from the get go IMO

Yeah, the lack of initial evidence certainly points to no accident. Someone in a panic would surely have left evidence on the day, though he would know the area very well.

You would think if it was a genuine accident his legal team would have advised him to cooperate from the get go IMO
You would think if he was innocent he wouldn’t be holding back saying so. I would be,

I live in a town of 3000 people with three kids going to the same school and I wouldn’t know hardly any of the kids or parents. I only know who my kids associate with.
Also, with regional towns kids often come into school from outer areas further away by bus. Very different from your typical big city schools where most are in the local area.

You would think if he was innocent he wouldn’t be holding back saying so. I would be,
It’s counterintuitive, but if the police wrongly have you in their sights (and sometimes that happens), if their case has gaps sometimes the best thing to do is just shut up. A slip up in a long interview might make things much worse.

Another hypothetical is that you’ve been up to no good (which might be what got you in their sights in the first place) and might need to say what you were up to to get out of trouble.

Suspect none of the above applies here but there’s a reason juries are directed not to draw inferences from a refusal to cooperate.

Having said all of that, you have the option of giving a statement then answering no questions. If he were innocent and could explain it then he could work out a non-implicating statement then shut up. He hasn’t done that and has apparently spent 30 hours with them. Waddles, quacks, walks like a duck etc.

My bet is the coppers have phone metadata evidence that matches him to SM. Seems on the balance of probabilities they may have him on trail cameras entering & leaving the area on the Sunday morning. If it were the case he was snapped on camera entering, leaving and then returning again with his vehicle the same day that would be a difficult one for PS to explain away.

My bet is the coppers have phone metadata evidence that matches him to SM. Seems on the balance of probabilities they may have him on trail cameras entering & leaving the area on the Sunday morning. If it were the case he was snapped on camera entering, leaving and then returning again with his vehicle the same day that would be a difficult one for PS to explain away.
Not enough to charge him with murder though?

The police must have more than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back