Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know if/when police questioned him & any of his friends & family prior to his arrest.

You would think any phone data or CCTV which put anyone in the vicinity of Samantha on that day would have all been questioned about what they were doing & where they were going that day...and then followed up with any friends or family to corroborate.
I hope the girlfriend is being forthcoming with what she knows.

Wouldnt the car number plates given it all away if on camera?, one of the easiest ways to at least place a vehicle somewhere unknown to be the driver behind the wheel until later.

I'm from there and live between there and Melbourne currently.
There are a lot of older people and others walikg there dog early in the morning. A lot of early risers but having said that, that area was somewhat isolated
Sure around the Lake especially, otherwise everybody else is still tucked up in bed, can't see that many people down at the Mounties running laps on a Sunday morning...

Wouldnt the car number plates given it all away if on camera?, one of the easiest ways to at least place a vehicle somewhere unknown to be the driver behind the wheel until later.
Yeah IF the camera covered the road where the vehicle in question actually entered or exited the forest. There are many ways in and out. And IF the vehicle had legible plates. But then it would still take some time for the data to be downloaded, the plates identified (probably manually) and then matched up with VicRoads to get the registered owner name and address. Then police need to visit that person and find out who was driving, ... it would take a fair bit of time and effort, and is certainly not infallible.

Totally agree. Don’t forget, the cops had him under surveillance in about 2 weeks.
To pull the footage and go through it would have taken somewhere between 3-5 days.
Then probably something similar to get the legal permission to do the surveillance.
Prior to that, there would have been a couple of days of clearing the family and looking for SM in case she was missing/injured.
Then mobile data gets overlayed.
And any witness that comes forward takes a few days to corroborate.
Then off to the DPP for a few days to get the all clear to actually go with the murder charge.
So, even if they had him in their sights in 5 days or so, it would take a couple more weeks to get to the point if charges.
(Just my rough/terribke maths)

This is the Ballarat court listing for Patrick Orren Stephenson, notice his full name including the middle. I suggest unless his full name appears anywhere else for a court appearance, it's (probably) not the same Patrick Orren Stephenson.

View attachment 1925830
Ooer not represented! I wonder if mum & dad are going to help get him a lawyer or if he’ll be assigned legal aide. I guess he’s got 4 months 🤔

Notwithstanding that the police have said the accused isn't known to the family, does anyone else find that a bit curious? According to the Daily Fail, POS is the same age as Samantha's daughter. Is it safe to assume they went to the same primary school given that - again according to Daily Fail - Samantha volunteered at the school uniform shop of the private school POS attended? POS was from a prominent family with a famous Dad right? And parents who volunteer at school normally know all the other parents. And the daughter and POS would've been in the same grade? My eldest is in primary school at a fairly large private school and I know almost all the parents and families quite well.

It's just odd to me.

Last edited:
Patrick Stephenson (case P11510846) is from Socit-Westgate which is from Werribee.
Ballarat has it's own Socit unit so if it was Patrick Orren Stephenson you would think that it would come from Socit-Ballarat.

Further P11510846 is sheduled for the Melbourne Magistrates' Court rather than the Ballarat Magistrate's Court.

I assume that it is someone different with the same name from the Werribee area.
I heard that it’s determined by where the victim is located not the perp

Mounties?
Mt. Clear Footy/Cricket teams.

The cricketers could still have been at the clubhouse just at the school there. I know I’ve been in there well into the next day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily, possibly other vehicles that went through there at that time. Could have been waiting for more evidence before they arrested him and give away to those around him

Could possibly go for legal aid to avoid costs, depending on his income/assets.
I would be surprised if they didn't question people who appeared on CCTV on that day so they could rule them out.

Once they had identified him as a potential suspect, that's when they started surveillance on him and would not want to have alerted him.

You have to know Ballarat of a Sunday morning, no one gets up before 8am, you could fire a cannon down Sturt St and it wouldn't even hit a parked car, cause there aren't any!!
Not surprised at all...
I live the next street down from Sam, I often walk behind her house and across the road into the woowookarung park. I never get as far as mount clear. Buy if you keep close the road that goes straight up towards mount clear and stay on the outskirts of the park (long st, Katy Ryan’s road) I will often walk past a few people and even cars. But if I walk the little trails I will usually see nobody. I’m not much of a runner, would someone doing a long run prefer an even surface like a dirt road as opposed to trails that have a lot of sticks rocks and uneven surfaces?
If she ran on the roads then there’s a good chance of seeing other people doing their morning run/walk. I always see the same people too.

Notwithstanding that the police have said the accused isn't known to the family, does anyone else find that a bit curious? According to the Daily Fail, POS is the same age as Samantha's daughter. Is it safe to assume they went to the same primary school given that - again according to Daily Fail - Samantha volunteered at the school uniform shop of the private school POS attended? POS was from a prominent family with a famous Dad right? And parents who volunteer at school normally know all the other parents. And the daughter and POS would've been in the same grade? My eldest is in primary school at a fairly large private school and I know almost all the parents and families quite well.

It's just odd to me.
Agree I find it odd

So if he was out the night before.
Im assuming he didn’t drive his car, knowing he was going to have a big night out.
Was his car left at his parents house?
Did he stay at his parents house?
Or did someone drop him off to get his car in the morning?

or did he have an all night bender and went straight from a party to get his car at his parents house? Then drove the back roads to Scottsdale?
Are you from Tassie?

In Ballarat, for years, you kept to your own 'group'. For generations there was virtually no cross religion marriages, when my (Catholic) sister married into a extremely prominent family, she had to sign a prenup that she would not introduce the catholic church to any children, that was in 1994!!! Sam and Mick are from that generation where it was drummed into us not to mix, even though by that time we were doing more than mixing!! I left the town for twenty years, came back 8 years ago and that mentality still existed. It's not nearly as bad, but all the old riche families still go to Lonnie or Lorne for summer, they're still on the Sovie Hill Board, still own most of the rental properties in town, probably still wish that Sir Henry was still the Premier!!!
She may have been popular, but may never have noticed the POS, and I don't know about Oren's family being prominent, blow ins usually take twenty years to be just recognised in the street up here...

I just spoke to a journalist - they’re legally obligated to not report on anything that can impact the case.

For the purpose of the smooth operation of this thread, until it's confirmed by an accredited news source we can link back to, Patrick Stephenson is not Patrick Orren Stephenson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back