Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
No evidence at all about bikies, that story is a beat up from the Daily Fail from 2 months ago. POS killed her when drugged up from a Saturday night session, so hardly a targeted killing.
Agreed another round of going around the rumour mill in the vacuum of no further hard information.
That being said innocent until proven guilty, I make no inferrences about the accused, it remains to be seen what evidence there is.

Even tho it's pretty obvious bit of detective work, that was very good to catch the crim within a week.
Some could argue that Brett Cowan, the murderer of Daniel Morcombe, was smart because he wasn't charged with the murder for nearly 10 years.
Or that Bradley Edwards, who possibly killed more than two people, was clever because he wasn't caught for 20 years.
What I'm saying is they are both dumb.
Committing murder wipes away any IQ a person has imho and makes them dumb, a complete and utter idiot.
Can anyone name someone who deserved to die at the hands of someone who they are saying is intelligent?
I will bet anyone that the person who will eventually be found guilty of killing Samantha Murphy is dumb. That person may have had Alfred Einstein's IQ of 160 but in my mind as soon as he committed murder he was dumb with an intelligence quotient of zero.
And that's because nobody has the right to take away someone's life, only an idiot would carry out something like that.
Let's hope police have the right man in custody already of Samantha's alleged murder.
Well I’ve become a bit dumber reading this post. Hopefully not on my way to having my iq wiped and turning into a murderer

Well I’ve become a bit dumber reading this post. Hopefully not on my way to having my iq wiped and turning into a murderer
You got it in the wrong order, kill first then lose your IQ. Perhaps they could do a clinical trial on this: Does killing someone lead to a reduction of neurogenesis in the brain?

Heard a rumor today and I'm not a rumor fan but I'll type this out. Money/Drug related with connection to family Smash Repair Business, Bikies owed the money, Stephenson the killer won't reveal body because of repercussions with the said bikies. Also part of this was Samantha & Husband were not together but living under the same roof. I find this one hard to believe because I haven't heard it within these forums and usually you hear every angle. Apparently the family we warned of this as an outcome but ignored it or didn't act? Ive now posted some links below after reading the possible connections.

(Samantha ran the books Mick the Panel Shop) Implications also say Mick was aware of the possible outcome but Sam kept the books and if they weren't actually together as a couple explains some things. Just sayin..

P.S. Just read back a few threads and can see the bikies thing has been raised. It does make sense if for example they moved the body after Stephenson did the act. No wonder Police can't find the body. Surely though Police would be all over this angle and perhaps they are? This theory does connect some dots IMO. Interesting

I thought I read here that there was a rumour locally, that she and Mick were separated but still living in the same house and that she had attended a comedy show (alone) the previous night. There was also talk of her having taken out an AVO on someone soon before she disappeared. Maybe all wrong, but it was discussed.

You got it in the wrong order, kill first then lose your IQ. Perhaps they could do a clinical trial on this: Does killing someone lead to a reduction of neurogenesis in the brain?
Does letting someone back on the roads who has tested positive to drugs and alcohol after crashing his motorbike into a tree who goes on to possibly run someone over and kill them equate to a horrendous act of stupidity?
Aren't police the ones tasked with keeping road users safe from drivers high on drugs and alcohol?
I think the person who killed Samantha Murphy and disposed of her body is brain dead.
Did police allowed that situation to occur by not taking a known drunk driver off the road?
Are staff in bars in Ballarat plying alcohol to young people until they're absolutely legless - is that responsible selling of alcohol?
It is an offence for a licensee or permittee to supply liquor to a person in a state of intoxication. It is also an offence to permit drunken or disorderly persons to be on any licensed premises.
Is anyone in Ballarat worried about that law not being abided by?
Picked the eyes out of that little lot owen87

Does letting someone back on the roads who has tested positive to drugs and alcohol after crashing his motorbike into a tree who goes on to possibly run someone over and kill them equate to a horrendous act of stupidity?
Aren't police the ones tasked with keeping road users safe from drivers high on drugs and alcohol?
I think the person who killed Samantha Murphy and disposed of her body is brain dead.
Did police allowed that situation to occur by not taking a known drunk driver off the road?
Are staff in bars in Ballarat plying alcohol to young people until they're absolutely legless - is that responsible selling of alcohol?
It is an offence for a licensee or permittee to supply liquor to a person in a state of intoxication. It is also an offence to permit drunken or disorderly persons to be on any licensed premises.
Is anyone in Ballarat worried about that law not being abided by?
Picked the eyes out of that little lot owen87
I'm sorry but you're not making much sense here

I'm sorry but you're not making much sense here
I guess MsBlueSky is referring to a Daily Mail article which reports POS has been charged over a drug-driving motorbike offence which occurred in October last year?

I would suggest that not every drug-driver or drunk-driver inevitably becomes a cold-blooded murderer several months later, and that there is no apparent connection between this previous alleged offence and the murder of SM.

I guess MsBlueSky is referring to a Daily Mail article which reports POS has been charged over a drug-driving motorbike offence which occurred in October last year?

I would suggest that not every drug-driver or drunk-driver inevitably becomes a cold-blooded murderer several months later, and that there is no apparent connection between this previous alleged offence and the murder of SM.
That traffic offence was already discussed on BF a month or so ago.
The news is the situation that PS (it might not be POS!) was allegedly in at the time - drugs, alcohol, driving.
My beef with the police is why did they wait until after they arrested POS for murder about 4 months after the traffic offences were allegedly committed before giving PS a summons to appear in court on the same day in August POS will appear.
I reckon it's the same person but there was some conjecture to tread warily that it may be two people with the same name.
The point I'm trying to make with this traffic offence is that if PS's licence was taken away from him them he wouldn't be driving on the road to run someone over.
Someone may say that you can still drive (illegally) without a licence.
Do that three times and you're likely to go to jail and in my mind that is more likely than the person sitting in remand is of going to jail if the evidence is as threadbare as I imagine.
You don't have to agree with me.
Just like I don't agree with the rumour about drugs and bikies linked to the smash repair business.
But take someone off the road for a while and in most cases they won't be running someone over when they're in a drunken stupor any time soon.
And I'm not offended but I'm not MsBlueSky, I'm Mrs :)

He failed a drug test, interesting.

He has since been hit with three fresh charges after he allegedly crashed a motorbike he was riding into a tree last year, the Herald Sun reported.

No other vehicle was involved.

A friend told the newspaper the crash allegedly occurred after Stephenson attended an AFL grand final celebration.

Celebrations reportedly started around lunchtime on October 1 and is understood to have continued late into the night at a bar in Ballarat.

Police attended the crash scene and conducted a alcohol breath test, which Stephenson allegedly failed.

He was taken to Ballarat Police Station where he then allegedly failed a drug test.
I doubt these are ‘new’ charges after all this time. Remember the other PS court hearings, that appeared to come from ‘traffic’ branch.
My guess is that DM just got wind of it .

point I'm trying to make with this traffic offence is that if PS's licence was taken away from him them he wouldn't be driving on the road to run someone over.
But you suggest he got straight back on the road after being intercepted for drug driving? So, taking his licence away would not have been an effective deterrent.

The police can only do what they are empowered to do and what the court decides.

Plenty of unlicensed drivers out there. Cancelling a licence doesn't necessarily deter people from reoffending.

But you suggest he got straight back on the road after being intercepted for drug driving? So, taking his licence away would not have been an effective deterrent.
He certainly did get back on the road after being intercepted with his quad bike wrapped around a tree and would still be driving if he wasn't intercepted for allegedly murdering someone.
His licence should have been taken off him and not a year later (October 1 offences occurred, August 8 the following year court hearing - that's nowhere good enough in anyone's opinion).
PS allegedly committed several traffic offences 4 months prior to Samantha Murphy's disappearance and then wasn't charged for those offences until a week or so after POS was arrested and charged with murder.
If police had charged PS with those offences at the time he ran into a tree there was a distinct possibility the courts would have taken away his licence.
Are there any police in Ballarat who keep an eye on unlicensed drivers, or licensees selling alcohol to drunken patrons, or drivers with alcohol in their bodies, or look around for bodies hidden in the bush? I don't think so.
It is an effective deterrent to most people when they have their licence taken away from them and jail for being caught three times is a good reminder for those that continue to drive without a licence.

Agreed another round of going around the rumour mill in the vacuum of no further hard information.
That being said innocent until proven guilty, I make no inferrences about the accused, it remains to be seen what evidence there is.
Innocent a chance you reckon? That's what they said about Bruce Lehrman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People in this thread disagreed with my police/telephone tracking search experience.

On this thread they propagated all sorts of telephone watch phone tower theories.

Fact, police have conducted 3 different searches and failed.
The current record of technical searching has been below standard at best.
We're still awaiting the next search.

My money is on a walker finding something in a random area and police telling us it was going to be thier next search area.
Little William case just pure incompetence

In that region it would be no surprise if someone out metal detecting finds something.

That's who gets out into the less accessible areas.

Could POS been hooning and Samantha Murphy witnessed or came across evidence of this (ie damaged car & POS). Then POS panics knowing he is up the creek with no paddle, panics and kills Samantha?

Heard a rumor today and I'm not a rumor fan but I'll type this out. Money/Drug related with connection to family Smash Repair Business, Bikies owed the money, Stephenson the killer won't reveal body because of repercussions with the said bikies. Also part of this was Samantha & Husband were not together but living under the same roof. I find this one hard to believe because I haven't heard it within these forums and usually you hear every angle. Apparently the family we warned of this as an outcome but ignored it or didn't act? Ive now posted some links below after reading the possible connections.

(Samantha ran the books Mick the Panel Shop) Implications also say Mick was aware of the possible outcome but Sam kept the books and if they weren't actually together as a couple explains some things. Just sayin..

P.S. Just read back a few threads and can see the bikies thing has been raised. It does make sense if for example they moved the body after Stephenson did the act. No wonder Police can't find the body. Surely though Police would be all over this angle and perhaps they are? This theory does connect some dots IMO. Interesting

No evidence at all about bikies, that story is a beat up from the Daily Fail from 2 months ago. POS killed her when drugged up from a Saturday night session, so hardly a targeted killing.
Where is the reference to say he was drugged up from a Saturday night session ? As the footage being shown of his snorting drugs happened in January

Police allege he crashed into a tree while riding a motorbike in the Ballarat area.

When police arrived on the scene, he failed a breath test and a further drug test at Ballarat police station returned positive.

He was charged with drink driving, drug driving and careless driving offences.

I wonder what he was riding, if it was a registered road bike or dirt.

If it was a road bike, where did he take it for repairs? A dirt bike is probably a DIYer.

I wonder what he was riding, if it was a registered road bike or dirt.

If it was a road bike, where did he take it for repairs? A dirt bike is probably a DIYer.
I read somewhere it was a quad bike.

Why are quad bikes not road legal?
Road legal vehicles require high/low beam headlights, horn, turn and brake signals, mirrors, license plates etc., and not all quad bikes have these features.

Sounds like Patrick is getting a clean out in remand, wonder how he is feeling without anything in his system? Fresh charges indicate he likes to indulge. Depending on how much of a user he was his stint behind bars may or may not be a reality check and may or may not affect his co-operation in this case. With his family out of town who does he console with other than his defense attorney? Just curious on this mental state.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back