Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
This makes a lot of sense...a potential witness coming forward who could confirm their theory.
If the public knows as much as something happened at Mt Clear they might not think something they’ve seen in another area is relevant.
Sorry for making sense. Goes against the majority of the vibe in this thread. 🙄

If he told a mate I have killed SM.
Either in person or text.
A phone ping isn’t enough to arrest.

Is that enough for an arrest and conviction?

Couldn’t he say he was just joking?

What evidence can warrant an arrest? Someone seeing him?

Couldn’t he say he was just joking?

What evidence can warrant an arrest? Someone seeing him?
Possibly someone saw him and/or possibly be DNA at the scene and in his car?

Not enough for a conviction without other evidence but enough to begin surveillance.
The evidence is not public knowledge, however given that the police will allege a time, date and location of the death, I suspect that the search warrants turned up something solid.

This really seems to be going nowhere atm. I see the committal hearing is in August - that should be telling.
I’ve only been following this at a distance but I can’t help wonder if they’ve got it wrong. I know they’ve arrested this kid, and they probably have some very very strong circumstantial evidence because the Police wouldn’t lock someone up without good cause right?

But what happens if the reason this kid hasn’t divulged where the body is is because he genuinely doesn’t know?

What if there’s a person who no one would look at twice or who didn’t necessarily blend who left Ballarat literally within 2-3wks of the murder, suddenly? Who’s now in QLD and giving off vibes in their new workplace? Saying weird stuff to the women in the workplace and just giving off “ick” vibes? Who said they left “in a hurry because they’d had a fight with their girlfriend.” But is the type you’d find it hard to have a gf. Who’s asked if there’s any forests to go walking in? And a week or so later asks the girls in the workplace what they “carry on them for protection if they get attacked?”

What if my thoughts are completely wrong and this person has nothing to do with this and is just “off tap and socially awkward?” What if I get sacked by my boss for raising this with Crimestoppers and this person is completely innocent and just creepy and opinionated?

Is anyone here from Ballarat or worked at the Ballarat Hospital because that’s where this person used to work. I probably watch too much True Crime but he’s just weird and not your average weird Victorian weird. I don’t want to lose my job over this but what if……?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve only been following this at a distance but I can’t help wonder if they’ve got it wrong. I know they’ve arrested this kid, and they probably have some very very strong circumstantial evidence because the Police wouldn’t lock someone up without good cause right?

But what happens if the reason this kid hasn’t divulged where the body is is because he genuinely doesn’t know?

What if there’s a person who no one would look at twice or who didn’t necessarily blend who left Ballarat literally within 2-3wks of the murder, suddenly? Who’s now in QLD and giving off vibes in their new workplace? Saying weird stuff to the women in the workplace and just giving off “ick” vibes? Who said they left “in a hurry because they’d had a fight with their girlfriend.” But is the type you’d find it hard to have a gf. Who’s asked if there’s any forests to go walking in? And a week or so later asks the girls in the workplace what they “carry on them for protection if they get attacked?”

What if my thoughts are completely wrong and this person has nothing to do with this and is just “off tap and socially awkward?” What if I get sacked by my boss for raising this with Crimestoppers and this person is completely innocent and just creepy and opinionated?

Is anyone here from Ballarat or worked at the Ballarat Hospital because that’s where this person used to work. I probably watch too much True Crime but he’s just weird and not your average weird Victorian weird. I don’t want to lose my job over this but what if……?
I've got no idea. It's hard to be a whistleblower. I think POS has something to do with the disappearance but that's only my opinion. Maybe wait for a couple of months and see what the police have got on POS before dobbing your workmate in. There's no law against being a bit weird. Personally I think the whole human race is weird. Maybe document or keep a diary of what is raising your suspicions and concerns about this chap and casually make sure the female staff are not being threatened or intimidated and support them if they need it.

Your boss doesn’t have to know you’ve reported anything to crime stoppers -
You can separately discuss with your boss the fact that a colleague is making you and other staff uncomfortable without associating it with this or any case.

I've got no idea. It's hard to be a whistleblower. I think POS has something to do with the disappearance but that's only my opinion. Maybe wait for a couple of months and see what the police have got on POS before dobbing your workmate in. There's no law against being a bit weird. Personally I think the whole human race is weird. Maybe document or keep a diary of what is raising your suspicions and concerns about this chap and casually make sure the female staff are not being threatened or intimidated and support them if they need it.
I’m not alone in my appraisal….. he has zero regard for women, has been observed loitering around women’s bathrooms at shopping centres. Arrives to work hours early and sits and people watches at the entrance to our hospital. Left Ballarat with no people, no home and no job to come to. There’s no crime in that of course, but his car has panel damage and there was a car reported in the area at the time with panel damage. Just sayin’.

I’m not alone in my appraisal….. he has zero regard for women, has been observed loitering around women’s bathrooms at shopping centres. Arrives to work hours early and sits and people watches at the entrance to our hospital. Left Ballarat with no people, no home and no job to come to. There’s no crime in that of course, but his car has panel damage and there was a car reported in the area at the time with panel damage. Just sayin’.
Sounds like you have about as much if not more circumstantial evidence on this guy than the Ballarat police have on POS.
Why not at least ring CrimeStoppers? You can do so anonymously. If he is definitely from Ballarat and has a Vic registered vehicle they can probably check him out very quickly and easily.

Yeah report it No harm done in doing so. Innocent or not he sounds like a real creep.

My BS meter is pinging pretty hard ;) Nevertheless, if you are sincere, we have a responsibility to call out violent and otherwise inappropriate behaviour in the workplace and elsewhere.

Yeah report it No harm done in doing so. Innocent or not he sounds like a real creep.

Can the coppers do a quick DNA analysis of his car if it is in a public place without a warrant? Or even quickly analyse the damage on the vehicle when parked in a public play to determine if its consistent with a person being struck by the car.

I'd be ringing and if that fails (crimestoppers would get 100s of tips) than reassess

Sounds like you have about as much if not more circumstantial evidence on this guy than the Ballarat police have on POS.
Why not at least ring CrimeStoppers? You can do so anonymously. If he is definitely from Ballarat and has a Vic registered vehicle they can probably check him out very quickly and easily.
Yeah if this is genuine sounds as suspicious as.
I'm not saying police should give details of investigation but if they say something we believe a vehicle was involved in the death/no vehicle than tips like this can be followed up/discounted.
By staying silent AND than saying we need more time/appeals to public means to me the case is not iron clad.
That's why I disagreed with the 24 week extension. You have the evidence or you dont.
Plus as others have said if he's just awkward = no crime in that and has an alibi /phone data shows a different location he can be ruled out pretty easily

Remove this Banner Ad

Back