Opinion SANFL 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Dank Academy

All Australian
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hypothetical:
The economic consequences of Covid 19 have decimated the once-proud SANFL competition (...that's not the hypothetical)

The league is thrown a lifeline by the SA Government, whose chief caveat is that the new competition should be truly representative of South Australia... That's right, SANFL 2.0 won't be the glorified metropolitan league its predecessor was - instead it must aim to bring the 'state league' to all South Australians.

Given the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to restart and restructure, SANFL 2.0 is rebranded as a 'Friday night' league, with games to be played simultaneously so as to walk the line between local and professional Aussie rules.

So, which clubs remain, which are relocated, and which new clubs are created?

Hypothetical:
The economic consequences of Covid 19 have decimated the once-proud SANFL competition (...that's not the hypothetical)

The league is thrown a lifeline by the SA Government, whose chief caveat is that the new competition should be truly representative of South Australia... That's right, SANFL 2.0 won't be the glorified metropolitan league its predecessor was - instead it must aim to bring the 'state league' to all South Australians.

Given the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to restart and restructure, SANFL 2.0 is rebranded as a 'Friday night' league, with games to be played simultaneously so as to walk the line between local and professional Aussie rules.

So, which clubs remain, which are relocated, and which new clubs are created?

That's easy. Port Magpies die, rest stay.

And which regional grounds are going to have the facilities to host SANFL matches, in particular broadcast quality lights (which, with the exception of Norwood, have largely been tried and failed).

And which regional grounds are going to have the facilities to host SANFL matches, in particular broadcast quality lights (which, with the exception of Norwood, have largely been tried and failed).
If you consult the hypothetical budget, you'll see that the new & relocated clubs will receive the same funding as SANFL clubs do now. Hypothetically.

Hasn't there been major upgrades to iron triangle grounds?

You know it's true they migrated alot ghetto families out of Elizabeth ect, to that region so the miners had something to play with.

Our country now run by mining executives, big investments in the iron triangle, on the way.

So are you talking something like 4 x metro teams and 4 x country teams?

So you would want a North (north Adelaide), south (Sturt) , east (Norwood) and west (Glenelg) metro.
And Country Pt Pirie (Magies), Barossa (Centrals), Riverland (West Adelaide) and Mt Gambier (South Adelaide)

Not sure what you do with the Eagles, I guess it depends who survives.

By wanting ''South Australian '' I assume you want teams in the regional areas? Or at least to play and represent them?

Mt Gambier ?
Port Augusta ?
Port Pirie North Adelaide
Loxton/Riverland Westies

Rest in Adelaide
So are you talking something like 4 x metro teams and 4 x country teams?

So you would want a North (north Adelaide), south (Sturt) , east (Norwood) and west (Glenelg) metro.
And Country Pt Pirie (Magies), Barossa (Centrals), Riverland (West Adelaide) and Mt Gambier (South Adelaide)

Not sure what you do with the Eagles, I guess it depends who survives.

On the money with these ideas, I reckon.

So:

Adelaide, Port, remain due to AFL connections, and you would want another club at least in the greater metro area to balance out the lopsided population distribution in SA (say Norwood/Glenelg). To me other clubs in the new league could basically all be relocated to areas of greater population around the state:

- Gawler
- Mt. Gambier (South East)
- Whyalla (Or Iron Triangle as suggested above)
- Murray Bridge
- Mount Barker (or Adelaide Hills)
- Victor Harbor / Fleurieu
- Pt. Lincoln?

.........OR a wildcard option like Alice Springs / Broken Hill (which I know goes against the 'SA' flavour).

People already complain about travelling to Elizabeth or Nourlunga for footy games.
I cant see clubs, players or fans wanting to travel to regional areas to play footy.
If players want to do that, they can get payed twice as much just playing country footy
Plus the cost of travel would be too expensive

People already complain about travelling to Elizabeth or Nourlunga for footy games.
I cant see clubs, players or fans wanting to travel to regional areas to play footy.
If players want to do that, they can get payed twice as much just playing country footy
Plus the cost of travel would be too expensive
That's the spirit...

How many people from outside of Adelaide metro do you think attend SANFL currently? Is it really a 'state league' in anything other than name?

Hypothetically, the 2.0 league allows each region to be more parochial, and ideally attract their local players in a more 'hometown-hero' representative manner.

That's the spirit...

How many people from outside of Adelaide metro do you think attend SANFL currently? Is it really a 'state league' in anything other than name?

Hypothetically, the 2.0 league allows each region to be more parochial, and ideally attract their local players in a more 'hometown-hero' representative manner.

It's a state league as it is a representation of the peak of SA football, and acts as the middle man between the national league, and the amateurs.

It'll be 100s and 100s of years before a SANFL league will ever be able to expand out to places like Mt. Gambier/Riverland/Whyalla/Pt. Augusta etc just due to lack of money and geography. Odds are these places will be waiting until Adelaide urban sprawl swallows them up (and likely a change in the way we transport people to something faster whilst keeping it viable for people/small clubs to be able to afford travelling large distances regularly), which will also inevitably happen if nothing goes wrong society wise for a very long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a state league as it is a representation of the peak of SA football, and acts as the middle man between the national league, and the amateurs.

It'll be 100s and 100s of years before a SANFL league will ever be able to expand out to places like Mt. Gambier/Riverland/Whyalla/Pt. Augusta etc just due to lack of money and geography. Odds are these places will be waiting until Adelaide urban sprawl swallows them up (and likely a change in the way we transport people to something faster whilst keeping it viable for people/small clubs to be able to afford travelling large distances regularly), which will also inevitably happen if nothing goes wrong society wise for a very long time.
Why couldn't a team be based in Mt. Gambier? Remember, they're only travelling fortnightly... Players already drive to the South East from Adelaide to play local footy (I realise that the pay is different).

Above all, remember that this is hypothetical... Don't let the transport etc get in the way of considering which clubs would be best fit for a 'true' SANFL...

Mt Barker is already in the early stages (very early) having an SANFL standard facility.

I have no doubt they'll be looking to relocate someone there.

Most likely Sturt
Possibly, but given the improvement in our financial position in recent times I'd be extremely surprised.

If the SANFL lose Port, and maybe Adelaide, they might opt for a new side.

Possibly, but given the improvement in our financial position in recent times I'd be extremely surprised.

If the SANFL lose Port, and maybe Adelaide, they might opt for a new side.

Agree - Sturt would make sense, but could be a start-up. As a hills person myself I think this would be a no-brainer to have a club based there, and I think the locals would be supportive.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree - Sturt would make sense, but could be a start-up. As a hills person myself I think this would be a no-brainer to have a club based there, and I think the locals would be supportive.

I dont think the crowds argument works either

SANFL clubs are struggling to get more than 2-3000 anyway. They may even generate some initial excitement and growth.

There would need to be an adaptive time period of support by the SANFL . I dnt think its a terrible idea - I just fail to see where the SANFL is getting the cash from

I dont think the crowds argument works either

SANFL clubs are struggling to get more than 2-3000 anyway. They may even generate some initial excitement and growth.

There would need to be an adaptive time period of support by the SANFL . I dnt think its a terrible idea - I just fail to see where the SANFL is getting the cash from

What’s the crowds argument that you refer to? I agree that new, strategically placed clubs would generate interest. I’d throw my support behind a Hills team.

I think a club in the Norlunga region would also be a wise move. Is South Adelaide up for grabs in this scenario?

What’s the crowds argument that you refer to? I agree that new, strategically placed clubs would generate interest. I’d throw my support behind a Hills team.

I think a club in the Norlunga region would also be a wise move. Is South Adelaide up for grabs in this scenario?

I think the issue with a Hills team would be people like me who support a club already, id have no real reason to change.

The SANFL becomes 20 teams across 2 Divisions. Crows and Port players are dispersed across the 10 teams of Division 1 like the old days until an AFL Futures/Reserves is formed (top up players under 21).

The 10 team Div 1 consists of the 8 current SANFL clubs plus the Grand Finalists of the SAAFL. The bottom placed team is relegated each season.

The 10 team Div 2 consists of the remaining best 10 SAAFL teams in the first season, but after the first season, the bottom team is up for relegation against the premiers of each of the leagues close to Adelaide in an 8 team/3 week knockout series. The relegated team would go back to their original competition.

1. SANFL Div 2 Bottom Team
2. SAAFL
3. Southern FL
4. Great Southern FL
5. Hills Div 1
6. River Murray FL
7. Barossa, Light & Gawler FL
8. Adelaide Plains FL

On a case by case scenario, premiers from other SA country leagues could apply to be part of the knockout series to gain promotion to Div 2 of the SANFL and potentially, eventually, make their way to SANFL Div 1.

Where would the money come from to pay those players ?? And why would they want to play SANFL2 if they can earn anywhere upto 10 times the amount at a country club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back