Saturday Night Double-headers - Why aren't we trialing Perth "late night" games?

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL has two Friday night games. One a pub game and one later. 5pm bounce down first and 7.30pm bounce down for the second would be ideal imo.

Does anyone remember that a game once started at like 9am Perth time?

This was a good ten years ago now. A Canberra match. The Eagles played in it. From memory it was a 12:30 bouncedown or something and we were trialling daylight savings so it was all ****ed up?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This was a good ten years ago now. A Canberra match. The Eagles played in it. From memory it was a 12:30 bouncedown or something and we were trialling daylight savings so it was all ****** up?

I’m not familiar with the 9am Eagles game, but the match Winston Abraham took the 1998 Mark of the Year against Port in Canberra started at 11:40am...

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1998/121319980801.html

It wasn’t daylight savings at the time, so it would have started at 9:40am in Perth.

Not really. It's a Saturday night. Game would be over by 10pm. The Wildcats regularly have 7pm night games. I remember going to them as a kid and loving it. You're over thinking it, and it's not like it would be every week.

I’m not for it at all

To be honest tv wise

Who in the eastern states is going to sit up till midnight watching thier side...not many

I’m not for it at all

To be honest tv wise

Who in the eastern states is going to sit up till midnight watching thier side...not many

Why can’t we at least trial it and find out? Many people regularly stay up Saturday nights to watch sport...

It would also allow pubs in Melbourne to broadcast AFL until midnight on a Saturday night, which would increase business through the provision of extended entertainment.

There are huge opportunities here.

I’m not for it at all

To be honest tv wise

I'd watch the Giants at any time, and I don't think that's unusual. I hate watching on TV, I keep wanting to throw things and staring at wierd angles close up to try and figure out what's going on. But I'd watch.

I would crack the s**t's every time Hawks were playing on a Friday night back when it was delayed.

Think about me as a North supporter, we are nearly always playing on a Friday night, and mum would make me go to bed at half time. Always torn between putting the radio on or taping the end and watching the next day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not for it at all

To be honest tv wise

A ton of people would. And it's Saturday night. Most Adults stay up on Saturday nights anyway. Most would just make a night of it. The EPL has pretty much had the post 8pm sports time slot monopolized for years, and they get a ton of people watching.

This was a good ten years ago now. A Canberra match. The Eagles played in it. From memory it was a 12:30 bouncedown or something and we were trialling daylight savings so it was all ****** up?

I understand the people out West dislike daylight savings--- but if you were trialling daylight savings at the time of this previous match, it would've made the time difference only 2 hours between Canberra and Perth in summer rather than the three that occurs now. Thus making a 12:30pm Bounce in Canberra, a 10:30am start in Perth.

Daylight savings actually brings you CLOSER in time to the eastern states, it's when you don't follow it that the time difference becomes more obvious.

But in regards to games starting early in Perth, you weren't thinking of the 2015 St. Kilda Vs Carlton game in New Zealand by any chance? That started at 1:10pm NZ time, 11:10am Melbourne and 9:10am Perth time on Anzac Day that year.

I understand the people out West dislike daylight savings--- but if you were trialling daylight savings at the time of this previous match, it would've made the time difference only 2 hours between Canberra and Perth in summer rather than the three that occurs now. Thus making a 12:30pm Bounce in Canberra, a 10:30am start in Perth.

Daylight savings actually brings you CLOSER in time to the eastern states, it's when you don't follow it that the time difference becomes more obvious.

But in regards to games starting early in Perth, you weren't thinking of the 2015 St. Kilda Vs Carlton game in New Zealand by any chance? That started at 1:10pm NZ time, 11:10am Melbourne and 9:10am Perth time on Anzac Day that year.
I dont think there's any indication West Australians as a whole dont like daylight saving. It's to do with the North where there isn't much difference between the longest and shortest day. Ie no daylight to save. QLD and the NT, the other states with norhern tropical areas dont either.

I dont think there's any indication West Australians as a whole dont like daylight saving. It's to do with the North where there isn't much difference between the longest and shortest day. Ie no daylight to save. QLD and the NT, the other states with norhern tropical areas dont either.

So your saying that Western Australia is controlled by a small percentage of people that live outside the main population area??

That's the equivalent of saying the AFL should based their decisions off the interests of the two Queensland clubs ;)

EDIT: Either way I doubt it that it would occur in the near future because it goes against the interests of Channel 7, but I guess they seem more open to being nationally inclined recently as shown by the two Good Friday games. But I'm all for it as long as it doesn't feature my team playing a game that finishes at midnight Melbourne time.

So your saying that Western Australia is controlled by a small percentage of people that live outside the main population area??

That's the equivalent of saying the AFL should based their decisions off the interests of the two Queensland clubs ;)

EDIT: Either way I doubt it that it would occur in the near future because it goes against the interests of Channel 7, but I guess they seem more open to being nationally inclined recently as shown by the two Good Friday games. But I'm all for it as long as it doesn't feature my team playing a game that finishes at midnight Melbourne time.
Not at all. It's if small interest to the majority if the population but a big imposition on the minority. Entirely rational and identical to others in a similar position.

not to hijack this thread, but at the last referendum the metro area voted for daylight saving (50.6 % v 49.4%), regional seats no (29.96% v 70.04%), and overall it was 45.44% yes and 54.56% no)

not to hijack this thread, but at the last referendum the metro area voted for daylight saving (50.6 % v 49.4%), regional seats no (29.96% v 70.04%), and overall it was 45.44% yes and 54.56% no)
It's really not a complicated thing, but people struggle with it.

Melbourne barely played a home night game for years, from a fans perspective it was fantastic! No waiting around all day for a game that then drags on until after 10, by which time the pubs in Richmond are full and you're either sad and want to go home or happy but having to ditch the footy gear to get in to somewhere later.

People in Perth should be thankful for their pre 9pm finishes, easy to get home or go out to a pub, can even have dinner after with the earlier ones that finish closer to 8.

I get the angst over a Friday night early start but it can't be that hard to get to one or two of those a year. Be thankful you even have them, many teams don't.

Either way I doubt it that it would occur in the near future because it goes against the interests of Channel 7, but I guess they seem more open to being nationally inclined recently as shown by the two Good Friday games. But I'm all for it as long as it doesn't feature my team playing a game that finishes at midnight Melbourne time.

How does it go against the interests of Channel 7? The late game would be the current Foxtel-only Saturday night game in Melbourne.

Channel 7 would broadcast the late game in Perth though, which would now start in primetime at 7:50.

7 would benefit from this change if anything.

Melbourne barely played a home night game for years, from a fans perspective it was fantastic! No waiting around all day for a game that then drags on until after 10, by which time the pubs in Richmond are full and you're either sad and want to go home or happy but having to ditch the footy gear to get in to somewhere later.

People in Perth should be thankful for their pre 9pm finishes, easy to get home or go out to a pub, can even have dinner after with the earlier ones that finish closer to 8.

I get the angst over a Friday night early start but it can't be that hard to get to one or two of those a year. Be thankful you even have them, many teams don't.

It's sad that after a decade of being s**t and relegated to either 1pm or 4:40pm Sunday matches, that you have completely forgotten about the magic and atmosphere of a night match. Nothing beats it imo.

It's sad that after a decade of being s**t and relegated to either 1pm or 4:40pm Sunday matches, that you have completely forgotten about the magic and atmosphere of a night match. Nothing beats it imo.
2 big night finals this year were great. Would've been even better Saturday 2:10. The occasional Friday night or the blockbuster Anzac Eve game sure. Otherwise meh, not that interested. Yeah I'd prefer a Saturday 7:30 over a 4:40 Sunday but that's about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back