Serie A 2017/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Italy taking 3rd spot in the co-efficients was a fantasy. Italy have outscored England in 1 of the past 10 seasons.
I think the Manchester teams and Liverpool doing well in Europe lately over the last 3 years has helped England on the coefficient front.

Italy hasn't had any real performers except Juve, similarly to Germany and Bayern.

Nope. Country co-efficient is the average of the teams from your association.

I know. But England gets 4 x 4 points each year for participating in the group stage. Italy only gets 2 or 3 x 4.

It is skewed towards champions league appearances versus Europa league which does not receive bonus points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. But England gets 4 x 4 points each year for participating in the group stage. Italy only gets 2 or 3 x 4.

It is skewed towards champions league appearances versus Europa league which does not receive bonus points.

You could take away the 4 points for each English team for the past decade, and let each Italian team over the past decade keep their 4 points and England still would have finished in front 8 times out of 10.

England gets more points because except for the odd occasion English sides have done better in Europe. Italy overtaking England was a pipedream.

The idea that the rules were changed because the authorities were worried about England losing a 4th spot is just tin foil hat stuff that doesnt stand up to any sort of logic.

You could take away the 4 points for each English team for the past decade, and let each Italian team over the past decade keep their 4 points and England still would have finished in front 8 times out of 10.

England gets more points because except for the odd occasion English sides have done better in Europe. Italy overtaking England was a pipedream.

The idea that the rules were changed because the authorities were worried about England losing a 4th spot is just tin foil hat stuff that doesnt stand up to any sort of logic.

It is skewed towards those sides with 4 CL places.

England gets 16 points for just rocking up to the group games and then if any qualify then they grab another 4 points for getting to the knockout rounds.

Using wins as an indicator over the last 5 years:

England 3.7 wins per side = 14.9 points per side
Italy 4.1 wins per side = 14.2 points per side

England 3.3 wins per side = 14.3 points per side
Italy 3.0 wins per side = 11.5 points per side

England 3.1 wins per side = 13.5 points per side
Italy 5.5 wins per side = 19.0 points per side

England 4.2 wins per side = 16.8 points per side
Italy 3.7 wins per side = 14.1 points per side

England 4.1 wins per side = 16.5 points per side
Italy 4.0 wins per side = 14.4 points per side

Average
England 3.6 wins per side = 15.2 points per side
Italy 4.1 wins per side = 14.6 points per side

Average co-efficient points per win
England 4.3
Italy 3.5

Even though Italian sides average 0.5 (half a win more than English sides in European competitions), English sides receive 0.8 more points for a win.

It is skewed.

Champions League bonus points are there because Europa League has an extra knockout round (and opportunity for 4 win bonus points) and because it's much harder to progress through the knockout stages at champions league level than Europa league level.

But it's besides the point. The bonus points exist,, and there was no chance of Italy overtaking England in the rankings.

So the theory that the changes were made to avoid the "embarrassment" of England dropping below Italy diesnt stand to reason. And from the looks of your stats (draws count for points as well) it wouldnt happen even if bonus points existed anyway.

So who loses a spot next for next year?

No one. Spain, England, Italy and Germany are all going to have four guaranteed places from next season onward.

I have to LOL.

2013/14: England 84.748 points, Italy 66.938.
2014/15: England 80.391, Italy 70.510.
2015/16: England 76.284, Italy 70.439.
2016/17: England 75.962, Italy 73.332.
2017/18 (current standings): England 67.891, Italy 66.249.

I only ever did further maths at high school but I do believe by my calculations that Italy has closed that gap from almost 18 points to currently 1.5.

Jog on with your nonsense.

Also, you do realise that Italy is the only league along with England that can legitimately say they have 6-7 big clubs.

There's not just Juventus, Inter and AC Milan. Napoli, Roma, Lazio and even Fiorentina more than hold their own.

I have to LOL.

2013/14: England 84.748 points, Italy 66.938.
2014/15: England 80.391, Italy 70.510.
2015/16: England 76.284, Italy 70.439.
2016/17: England 75.962, Italy 73.332.
2017/18 (current standings): England 67.891, Italy 66.249.

I only ever did further maths at high school but I do believe by my calculations that Italy has closed that gap from almost 18 points to currently 1.5.

Jog on with your nonsense.

For Italy to overtake England this season they would have to do what they've done once in the past decade, and that's get more ranking points in a season. England are currently over a point ahead of Italy on this years co-efficient and with 6 of the 7 teams looking like progressing to the knockout stages I think anyone expecting it to happen this season will be disappointed.

And even then, it wouldn't knock England into 4th spot, so once again the theory that the rules were changed to avoid the embarrassment of England dropping to 3 places seems more a case of wishful thinking than anything. Next year Italy will be in with a chance of finishing ahead of Germany again, but the season after 14/15 points will drop off and Italy will go back to 4th.

Some ugly stuff going on in the Serie A at the moment. It seems like both the organisation and the fans are not handling this well.

What's going on? Due to anti-semestic behaviour, the FIGC decided to have a reading of a passage of Anne Frank's diary before each game (with a certain player claiming he's never heard of Anne Frank). It wasn't just Lazio fans that were not amused, Juve fans turned around and sang the Italian national anthem. Other groups from other clubs were chanting. It all got a bit crazy.

For Italy to overtake England this season they would have to do what they've done once in the past decade, and that's get more ranking points in a season. England are currently over a point ahead of Italy on this years co-efficient and with 6 of the 7 teams looking like progressing to the knockout stages I think anyone expecting it to happen this season will be disappointed.

And even then, it wouldn't knock England into 4th spot, so once again the theory that the rules were changed to avoid the embarrassment of England dropping to 3 places seems more a case of wishful thinking than anything. Next year Italy will be in with a chance of finishing ahead of Germany again, but the season after 14/15 points will drop off and Italy will go back to 4th.

Please advise why UEFA changed the rules to guarantee Italy 4 teams if they were never going to catch England?

Germany was miles ahead of England and even further ahead of Italy. Italy has caught Germany now and there is only 1.5 points difference from England. England received 20 points this year for just rocking up to the CL group stages and that is the only reason they are ahead.

It is all swings and roundabouts but Italy will catch England eventually and that is why UEFA changed the rules to guarantee the big 4 leagues 4 CL places. It's a rort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some ugly stuff going on in the Serie A at the moment. It seems like both the organisation and the fans are not handling this well.

What's going on? Due to anti-semestic behaviour, the FIGC decided to have a reading of a passage of Anne Frank's diary before each game (with a certain player claiming he's never heard of Anne Frank). It wasn't just Lazio fans that were not amused, Juve fans turned around and sang the Italian national anthem. Other groups from other clubs were chanting. It all got a bit crazy.

Politics in sport. Yuk. Get rid of it.

Please advise why UEFA changed the rules to guarantee Italy 4 teams if they were never going to catch England?

Germany was miles ahead of England and even further ahead of Italy. Italy has caught Germany now and there is only 1.5 points difference from England. England received 20 points this year for just rocking up to the CL group stages and that is the only reason they are ahead.

It is all swings and roundabouts but Italy will catch England eventually and that is why UEFA changed the rules to guarantee the big 4 leagues 4 CL places. It's a rort.
I don't know why the rules were changed, presumably because those from the traditionally strong leagues lobbied for it.

Italy getting 4 places benefits Italy and atm Germany. England is in 2nd at the moment and performing better than any country in this seasons comp. Even in the unlikely event that Italy did manage to overhaul England they'd still finish in 3rd which has had 4 spots for years.

And with next season being the last that carries the 14/15 season points (Italys best in recent times by a mile) Italy will be back in 4th soon.

And who's to say Italy won't do better than England this season?

Given how Roma performed against Chelsea in London they will be optimistic about getting a result in Rome. They could easily top the group or finish second ahead of Atletico. Plenty of work still to be done. Napoli is in trouble it must be said, but Shaktar is in my opinion one of the top teams in Europe who doesn't play in one of the five major leagues. They absolutely have to beat Man. City in Naples as otherwise, they will need to beat Shaktar at home and then will still need a favour from City on matchday 6, something I feel will be unlikely if City have already qualified.

In the Europa League, Milan, Atalanta and Lazio are currently topping their groups. Given the fact there's currently five teams fighting it out in Serie A and only four UCL spots, Milan and Lazio are both going to be contenders in that competition you would assume.

Also: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...xplained-what-it-means-for-the-premier-league
&: http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/22/uefa-...alification-spot-in-champions-league-6527833/

Last edited:
It is skewed towards those sides with 4 CL places.

England gets 16 points for just rocking up to the group games and then if any qualify then they grab another 4 points for getting to the knockout rounds.

Using wins as an indicator over the last 5 years:

England 3.7 wins per side = 14.9 points per side
Italy 4.1 wins per side = 14.2 points per side

England 3.3 wins per side = 14.3 points per side
Italy 3.0 wins per side = 11.5 points per side

England 3.1 wins per side = 13.5 points per side
Italy 5.5 wins per side = 19.0 points per side

England 4.2 wins per side = 16.8 points per side
Italy 3.7 wins per side = 14.1 points per side

England 4.1 wins per side = 16.5 points per side
Italy 4.0 wins per side = 14.4 points per side

Average
England 3.6 wins per side = 15.2 points per side
Italy 4.1 wins per side = 14.6 points per side

Average co-efficient points per win
England 4.3
Italy 3.5

Even though Italian sides average 0.5 (half a win more than English sides in European competitions), English sides receive 0.8 more points for a win.

It is skewed.
EPL BTFO

Higuain brace in a clinical win over a poor Milan side who offered very little to the spectacle. Was great to see the Milan fans streaming out with still over 10 minutes to go. Would of been better if Leo was playing to really rub it in to him

Higuain brace in a clinical win over a poor Milan side who offered very little to the spectacle. Was great to see the Milan fans streaming out with still over 10 minutes to go. Would of been better if Leo was playing to really rub it in to him

Juve didn't even play that well. I mean Dybala, Huguain and Cudrado were great but as a team it was a ho-hum performance.

Milan have invested very poorly and it has reflected in their performances.

Juve didn't even play that well. I mean Dybala, Huguain and Cudrado were great but as a team it was a ho-hum performance.

Milan have invested very poorly and it has reflected in their performances.

I actually thought Juve were fantastic.

The commentators alluded to it during the game but they basically simulated a Champions League performance. They absorbed the early pressure from Milan, they created a goal in the 10-15 minutes where they really pressed and then they sat back and forced Milan to chase the game and apart from Kalinic hitting the bar just before HT, they created nothing.

Higuain's two finishes were absolutely super.

I actually thought Juve were fantastic.

The commentators alluded to it during the game but they basically simulated a Champions League performance. They absorbed the early pressure from Milan, they created a goal in the 10-15 minutes where they really pressed and then they sat back and forced Milan to chase the game and apart from Kalinic hitting the bar just before HT, they created nothing.

Higuain's two finishes were absolutely super.
Agree pretty much with this. Once we got the second we shut shop and pretty much weren’t troubled. Not enough credit has gone to Asamoah by the media, thought he was excellent and found plenty of room down the left all game

Agree pretty much with this. Once we got the second we shut shop and pretty much weren’t troubled. Not enough credit has gone to Asamoah by the media, thought he was excellent and found plenty of room down the left all game
Has Asamoah played different positions since Alex Sandro was bought? Or is he just a back up wing back/squad type now

Has Asamoah played different positions since Alex Sandro was bought? Or is he just a back up wing back/squad type now
More of a back up now. Has been tried in other positions but didn’t get much of a look in last season. This season Sandro has had the nod in the CL and they have shared the load in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back