Shield Sheffield Shield Round 1: South Australia vs Western Australia, Karen Rolton Oval, 10/10/2020 @ 11 AM AEST

Who gets more points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Really really poor from SA. I just don't have the answers which is scary given it is only Round 1.

Well played WA

The reality is - there is a talent gulf.

Whether that be actual numbers in SA playing or something wrong with the development pathways in premier cricket I don't know.

Good management and a good coach is one thing - but you still need talent.

The reality is - there is a talent gulf.

Whether that be actual numbers in SA playing or something wrong with the development pathways in premier cricket I don't know.

Good management and a good coach is one thing - but you still need talent.

Good point, I think you are right we just don't have the talent.

If I look at that Redbacks team and squad. Acknowledging Pope is still young I think the Bowling is first class standard but the batting isn't. Outside Head I don't know how many of the top six would get a game at another state.

If I look at that Redbacks team and squad. Acknowledging Pope is still young I think the Bowling is first class standard but the batting isn't. Outside Head I don't know how many of the top six would get a game at another state.
Let's put your top 7 of last match laced in with Victoria's top 9, because I think we have the best batting depth in the country:

1. Head
2. Maddinson
3. Pucovski
4. Handscomb
5. Harris
6. Maxwell
7. Gotch (purely for keeping purposes, would normally have him below Weatherald)
8. Weatherald
9. Short
10. Finch
11. Hunt
12. Cooper
13. Dean
14. Neilson
15. Harper
16. Scott
17. Davis

So 1, maybe 2 if Maxy/Finch are playing for Australia. Might be harsh on Scott and Davis but their inexperience pushes them down the list.

Let's put your top 7 of last match laced in with Victoria's top 9, because I think we have the best batting depth in the country:

1. Head
2. Maddinson
3. Pucovski
4. Handscomb
5. Harris
6. Maxwell
7. Gotch (purely for keeping purposes, would normally have him below Weatherald)
8. Weatherald
9. Short
10. Finch
11. Hunt
12. Cooper
13. Dean
14. Neilson
15. Harper
16. Scott
17. Davis

So 1, maybe 2 if Maxy/Finch are playing for Australia. Might be harsh on Scott and Davis but their inexperience pushes them down the list.

Hard to disagree with that.

Being from SA I love Travis Head but I don't think he does enough which might sound harsh.

Obvious for most batsman but Weatherald needs a lot to go right to make a big score. He might even be too high on your list.

I agree, just don't see how results change without a big recruiting drive. Should've gone harder for Renshaw.

I agree, just don't see how results change without a big recruiting drive. Should've gone harder for Renshaw.

Wouldn't mind getting a reliable international batsmen for a year or 2 to provide some stability if that's still possible.

Head's very consistent at getting starts, but Geez he'd be probably be a superstar if he converted better.
With the way he plays I don't think this will ever change. Where most batsman are susceptible around off stump which improves as they get into their innings, Head's strength square outside off is also his biggest weakness. It's why he's almost as likely to get out for 60 as he is for 1.

Head bats well when there’s no pressure on him.

I'm not sure being 364 runs behind and batting to save your team the match is no pressure.

Very little pressure when there's next to no chance your team will accomplish it

Like having a shot from the boundary your not expected to kick compared to one straight in front

Very little pressure when there's next to no chance your team will accomplish it

Like having a shot from the boundary your not expected to kick compared to one straight in front

Crap call. Pressure on him knowing that when he goes out to bat he has to score runs every time for the team to make a respectable total.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is there more pressure; You come out to bat at 2/20 and your team needs 222 to win or you come out at 2/20 and your team is 300 runs down after the first innings?

Where is there more pressure; You come out to bat at 2/20 and your team needs 222 to win or you come out at 2/20 and your team is 300 runs down after the first innings?

Both are similar levels of pressure? Batting for a draw is one of the hardest things to do in cricket. Were Faf in Adelaide 2012 or Ponting at Old Trafford in 2005 under less pressure because they were trying to save a match?

Both are similar levels of pressure? Batting for a draw is one of the hardest things to do in cricket. Were Faf in Adelaide 2012 or Ponting at Old Trafford in 2005 under less pressure because they were trying to save a match?

For most of their innings, yes. In this case what is the chance that the Redbacks can save the match; probably less than 1%. If they were chasing 250 on a wicket that's playing up a bit and they were a 30% chance to win it would be far more pressure. Or if its the first innings and you need to try and setup a decent total to win the match it's more pressure too.

Back