Remove this Banner Ad

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Another season of the best red ball domestic cricket on the planet.

Redbacks/Tigers kickoff the new Shield season at 11am on a surprising new look Karen Rolton Oval surface, a drop in pitch designed to add life to a usual early season road.

Thought it started tomorrow. I'll get the other two match threads up later today.

Good to see the more things change, the more they stay the same at the deadbacks.

Karen Rolton might have a new pitch but it seems to have played as its standard road.
The curator all but promised more lively decks from these drop ins. I did detect a touch more pace and bounce, even some movement in the first hour. Then it reverted to the usual KRO motorway.

The curator all but promised more lively decks from these drop ins. I did detect a touch more pace and bounce, even some movement in the first hour. Then it reverted to the usual KRO motorway.

Thanks very much for that.

I have long wondered about the impact of the Burdett era on on the development of cricketers in SA.

Growing up playing on roads does little for the technique of bowlers or batters. How many curators in SA Grade cricket routinely offer roads compared to green tops or bunsens?

It seems no accident that most SA reps come from other States. Blokes like Head don't have great technique but have a fabulous eye.

Being that both rather import their cricketers than use the home grown product. Have seen a shift in recent years to SACA being the more prolific of the two states at doing this. Is 'A BIG KICK IN THE TEETH FOR THE NATIVE SOUTH AUSSIE'.

To their credit, Tas seem to be playing more locals. Of course I'm not opposed to player movement esp from the more populous States.

There is no doubt Bird and Siddle had a positive impact on Tassie cricket. I doubt either would have been tempted to move to SA to spend their Autumnal FC years trundling in on the AO or Karen Rolton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll admit to not following as closely as I could - but has Weatherald made runs in the last however many years?

Always shown potential, usually pulls off an amazing 100 off 100 and then goes missing for 5 matches.

Or am i being harsh
His last 5 seasons have been:

22/23 - 342 runs @ 28.50
21/22 - 367 runs @ 40.77
20/21 - 311 runs @ 38.87
19/20 - 660 runs @ 38.82
18/19 - 488 runs @ 25.68

Overall over the past 5 seasons 2,168 runs @ 33.35

I’ve been watching this all morning and still can’t decide whether the pitch is a road or whether the Redbacks just have no penetration at all in their bowling.

I watch a lot of the Tigers, I promise Wakim isn’t this good!

Tigers are making lite work of this Redback target with Jewell and veteran Wakim putting on a punishing partnership. One has a ton the other nearing the milestone.

Agree. Averages a paltry @33/34 FC. Tim Ward would bat him into oblivion.
That would guarantee him a 3-year deal at the Redbacks!!

His last 5 seasons have been:

22/23 - 342 runs @ 28.50
21/22 - 367 runs @ 40.77
20/21 - 311 runs @ 38.87
19/20 - 660 runs @ 38.82
18/19 - 488 runs @ 25.68

Overall over the past 5 seasons 2,168 runs @ 33.35

OK - so it's not too bad nowawadays.

Always struck me as having potential to be a high performing player - but that is about the right average for a middling but regular first class level opener.

OK - so it's not too bad nowawadays.

Always struck me as having potential to be a high performing player - but that is about the right average for a middling but regular first class level opener.
For a while there I thought he was gonna be a gun opener in ODI's. His List A record 3-4 years ago was phenomenal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back