Sheffield Shield Round 4: Victoria v Tasmania @ Melbourne (Sat-Tue)

Tipping Comp

• Victoria

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw/Tie

• Tasmania

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not sure how Tas can fix there batting its been crap so far this year and it starts at the top of the order maybe we can ask Divenuto to come back.

Im not sure how Tas can fix there batting its been crap so far this year and it starts at the top of the order maybe we can ask Divenuto to come back.
I was thinking that maybe we should be talking to Dene Hills, Boony, Danny Buckingham, Jamie Cox and Brian Davison to see if they are interested in suiting up again.

I mean they couldn`t do any worse than the current lot. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're in a great position, barring any rain the match should be over by halfway through the second session at the latest.

Hopefully we can get these last remaining 5 wickets reasonably quickly before the rain comes. It's supposed to hit around mid afternoon IIRC.

I finally got my way with Dighton back in the side I have been posting on this site to bring him in all year not that it done much good:(. Anderson gone there must be somebody better than Lockeyer in tassie same where. Anybody got a suggestion on who they could bring in. Is there any young blokes down south who could have a crack because there is not one person on the coast who could go even close to getting in that side.

Our entire team struggles before Christmas and unfortunately the Shield season is 60% over by then as well.

Here are our averages so far:
Batting
Denton 51.00
Bailey 31.37 :confused:
Paine 30.85 :thumbsu:
Geeves 26.60
Marsh 24.42 :thumbsdown:
Lockyear 22.62
Butterworth 21.00
Anderson 15.50
Doherty 13.66
Birt 12.25 :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Hilfenhaus 10.40
Dighton 7.50:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
MacDonald 6.60

Bowling
Hilfenhaus 18.37
MacDonald 20.85
Geeves 21.28
Lockyear 25.00
Butterworth 26.88
Denton 53.00
Doherty 87.00
Marsh 87.00

Only positives so far this season are Hilf showing he is back to near his best, Geevesy consolidating his spot as an opening bowler, signs that Butterworth is developing with both bat and ball & Paine's couple of determined innings. MacDonald has also shown that he has a justified spot in our XI.

Problem being grade cricket is showing nothing at the moment. No-one made runs with the exception of Divin racking up a half-century and some ex-banana bender making 135.

Signhimup

Our next experiment could be sending young rookie-listed Jon Wells in to open. While this would be throwing him in the deep end a little, at least it gives a young Tasmanian an opportunity over a below-par mainlander.

James Faulkner or Alex Doolan could also see a spot open up for them throughout the season if they continue to put in solid performances in grade cricket. Faulkner is probably competing with Butterworth and Divin for the all-rounders spot however, whereas Doolan could bat nearer to the top. I also believe that Anderson should play the whole year in the Shield ahead of Lockyear & Dighton.

Another option could be to open with Paine and get Dawson or Jones into the XI to keep, but I'm less in favour of this, as Paine's future is as a keeper/batsman, and it provides a bit more flexibility in our lineup.

Here's a link to the TCA Batting Aggregates and Averages for 1st Grade in 2008/09 so you can follow their form.

Cheers for that Kenrosewall. I would like to see them roll the dice with one of them young blokes you mentioned at the expense of Lockeyer because I don’t believe that either he or Anderson who has also been tried are up to it. What are you thoughts? Personally I would also like to see them open with Dighton and Paine but not sure how Paine would handle a long day in the field followed up with opening the batting.

The Vics get the early breakthrough

Butterworth gone for 27, now 6/156

McKay with 4 wickets

Back