Should the AFL be a moral compass for us?

Should the AFL be a moral compass

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Stick to the Footy AFL!

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • It is important the AFL addresses societal issues

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 11 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Because he is making light of the plight of men. And I will say, a lot of men in this country are doing it hard - as reflected by the suicide statistics in men. The poster you have referred to has chosen to make fun of men - in order to attack another poster. I have no idea why he feels as though he needs to do that. I also have no idea why big footy mods feel as though it is ok that he does it. Should he be banned? Of course he should. Will he be? Probably not, he may even be promoted to moderator position. All I will say is that in the main board area, If he was making fun of females and feminism - he would already be banned. His posts wouldn't even be seen. And for record, I have no problems with him attacking other posters, not a problem, by all means, but I have a problem with him using the plight of men to do it. It is weak, and it is sad. It speaks volumes of his character.
I was banned for calling out this person in very mild terms, yet his taunting of a poster with insults of a sexual nature apparently escaped censure. Very confusing.

AFL needs to be more than millionaires kicking a ball to one another.

There is - and should be - an expectation that players and employees of the game, which receives so much financial support from the public, should give back. Since they have such a wide-reaching public platform, one of the best things they can do is raise awareness for issues or programs for which there is little awareness.

Anyone here who thinks that promoting awareness about racism and homophobia is a moot point somehow, or if you honestly believe that straight white men are becoming an endangered species: I pity you.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

give back: as defined by whom?

The AFL should do more for the game across the nation, junior development, the game in the bush, the other tiers of footy ....
The integrity of the AFL needs plenty of work, including its treatment of of the workers, running the AFL comp with equality for the clubs, hell they cant even say whether finals are to be played in Geelong, teams/rules should try for equality.
Time for Mr Goyder to put a broom though the joint !!

That's a decent article .

I copied the final two paragraphs.

"We make adult decisions and are responsible for those decisions. Affairs can be messy and end badly. Women are not “innocent” wives or “young” female temptresses or victims of male desire. To treat them so isn’t “respecting” women. It’s infantilising them, giving men special responsibility to look after women.

The AFL is terribly earnest in its desire to do the right thing, and sees itself as a leader on all kind of social issues from racism, LGBTI rights to domestic violence. Mostly, its influence is benign, and occasionally inspiring. But please, Gillon, stay out of the bedroom. Women – and men – don’t need you there in 2017."

AFL has moved into the realm where they are trying to do the right thing but the mindset hasn't changed, so they are still getting howled down and wondering why.

The reaction on all sides has been infantile. Literally should have been, "This is a private matter between these people and their families. As their employer, the AFL will support them through this time, while also reminding them of their responsibilities to maintain the standards and values of the AFL. Any disciplinary action will be taken internally at a later date in order to give time for the affected people to work through the issues."

The AFL are placing themselves in compromising positions, they are actually trying too hard. I agree with Russian Demon "This is a private matter between these people and their families. As their employer, the AFL will support them through this time, while also reminding them of their responsibilities to maintain the standards and values of the AFL. Any disciplinary action will be taken internally at a later date in order to give time for the affected people to work through the issues" Everyone knows there's a clear double standard between the rich and the poor in pretty much every facet of life. The Gay community, Feminism, Race. The AFL have been forerunners in many programs that have proven to be more than successful. But should they be the moral compass for all of us? It's a bloody hard gig to live up to. Power and money corrupts, and there is no denying it. You get yourself a top paying executive job in a glamorous industry like the AFL and you are not using your right hand for a while! These positions take a person out of reality, it's why we hear so many stories in the news about politicians ripping off ridiculous amounts of money from the people they serve, yet doing less jail time than a poverty-entrenched person who was caught smoking a joint. Powerful well paid positions are attractive and money will always claim another victim by turning an otherwise honest person into an agent of greed, lust and gluttony. It will also include envy. People love money and they love power, but if it all went tomorrow the object of temptation would then be whatever was next on the list of "most desirable male human stuff." Boobs! So the newly promoted top executive wants to have it all and still be able to go home to the wife and tin lids without a guilt in the world. You see the AFL can't win on this and they are trying too hard to do so. Just concentrate on the Footy Gil, you're on a hiding to nothing. 3 good people lost in less than a month, just sort it out internally, you know how it all works..

Yes it was a fascinating read.

However, this kind of moralism does crop up in many organisations that operate under public scrutiny. A few years ago, a British MP (family man) was discovered to have visited a gay brothel. He immediately resigned, and the media referred to him as 'disgraced former MP'.

The feeling over here in mainland Europe is so different. Look at what Silvio Berlusconi got away with. Maybe he's an extreme example, but I detest America, Britain and Australia for their obsession with purity. Obama, Trump, Gillard, Abbott - all these leaders have to submit their families, friends, religion, marital status and birth certificates for public approval.

In short, I agree with the article, but I think this represents a wider cultural issue, and I think the AFL have walked the line as best they could.

Perhaps you should spend some time trying to understand it before complaining - cos the bits you highlighted make it clear that you don't ;)
The bits I highlighted were your own writing, do you now deny it? Twist and turn all you like, but your own words will catch up with you.

You do understand that it was female columnist who called out Amber Harrison? A "serial predator on married men", as I recall. Google it.

But you'll be happy to make a contribution the Amber's Go Fund Me page, right?

As for you Mods,
spines of jelly. What are you doing on an AFL forum?

I hope my AFL team shows a little more character this season.

The bits I highlighted were your own writing, do you now deny it? Twist and turn all you like, but your own words will catch up with you.

You do understand that it was female columnist who called out Amber Harrison? A "serial predator on married men", as I recall. Google it.

But you'll be happy to make a contribution the Amber's Go Fund Me page, right?

You didn't even understand my response :rolleyes:

Let me spell it out.

The.
Bits.
You.
Highlighted.
Demonstrate.
That.
You.
Don't.
Have.
A.
Clue.
What.
My.
Post.
Was.
Talking.
About.

And the quoted post proves that you still don't.

Now jog on back to bay 13 with the other dullards, man babies and intellectual lightweights.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just recently sat through the women in the AFL/anti domstic abuse/ sexual abuse/ sexisim module for my coaching accreditation renewal.
Fair enough the AFL creating awareness and setting expectations for this cause, but the declaration at the end where I was supposed to write "how I will change and improve my behaviour the way I deal with these issues" was moralistic sanctimonious BS. Here is a lecture to tell you all about something and how you are wrong and need to change your behaviour. They just assume that you dont treat women properly or that you dont stand up to sexism etc etc. and need behaviour modification.
I told them to get ****ed then and Im telling them to get ****ed now- get ****ed.

Just recently sat through the women in the AFL/anti domstic abuse/ sexual abuse/ sexisim module for my coaching accreditation renewal.
Fair enough the AFL creating awareness and setting expectations for this cause, but the declaration at the end where I was supposed to write "how I will change and improve my behaviour the way I deal with these issues" was moralistic sanctimonious BS. Here is a lecture to tell you all about something and how you are wrong and need to change your behaviour. They just assume that you dont treat women properly or that you dont stand up to sexism etc etc. and need behaviour modification.
I told them to get ****** then and Im telling them to get ****** now- get ******.

You've misunderstood the question/text box then. I did it on Tuesday. Here is the cut & paste quote:

"What will you do?
So what are you going to do to become the change you want to see around you? What commitment will you make?

• Will you expect respect?
  • Will you speak out against what doesn't look, feel or sound right?
  • Will you help others get help?
Remember, success comes from everyone working positively together, and sometimes you have to lead the way in that.

Below is an empty text box for you to write your commitment to what you will do as a coach to start your change. The information you provide is for your own reflections and will not be accessed or used by any other party or organisation including the AFL."

It is asking what you will do as a leader/coach to actively change the behaviour of those around you and under your charge in order to ensure that gender inequality and violence against women is reduced under your watch. If you already stand up to sexism and the like, then this is exactly what you would put here, to say that that is how you are affecting change as a coach.

I did read it differently- I read it as what will you do to change yourself. I can see where it is coming from but it was not well worded. I did write that I commit to continue to promote respect etc but I also gave them a bit of an FU for assuming I wasn't already doing this. Maybe a bit misplaced on reflection but I must admit I still found it a bit preachy and sanctimonious.

The AFL's a private organisation, with the main aim being getting progressively higher returns among its' stakeholders. So it'll certainly push a politically correct line as far as it helps itself get a higher social standing and as a result more capital, etc etc.

But don't expect the AFL to be paying out McCartin with a "hey man, you have too many concussions, we're going to pay out your remaining contract and look after you when things go downhill", kinda thing. Similarly, I doubt very much that, say, the cleaners of the AFL office get paid anymore than minimum wage, even as their profits continue to soar. Don't expect them to do their part to reduce the parasitic scourge that is online gambling, or alcohol abuse (front bar), so on and so forth. We'll get lip service for the indigenous community, for women's football, for LBGT etc but very little concrete stuff.

So all up I guess the answer is pointless because the question is a bad one in the first place. They're a modern corporation! If you'd consider getting your morals from a corporation, you're a moron. They are after your coin and nothing else.

The Tayla thing is a classic example of that corporate PC thinking. To rehash what I already said, ask the cleaning ladies in AFL how great their conditions are. Ask how much the people who make the outfits/licensed products (most likely women) get paid, etc etc. You can bet it's pretty average. Obvious grandstanding.

That said technically it is a pretty sweet/well composed/very dynamic photo. That's my entire comment on the saga so far!

The AFL's a private organisation, with the main aim being getting progressively higher returns among its' stakeholders. So it'll certainly push a politically correct line as far as it helps itself get a higher social standing and as a result more capital, etc etc.

But don't expect the AFL to be paying out McCartin with a "hey man, you have too many concussions, we're going to pay out your remaining contract and look after you when things go downhill", kinda thing. Similarly, I doubt very much that, say, the cleaners of the AFL office get paid anymore than minimum wage, even as their profits continue to soar. Don't expect them to do their part to reduce the parasitic scourge that is online gambling, or alcohol abuse (front bar), so on and so forth. We'll get lip service for the indigenous community, for women's football, for LBGT etc but very little concrete stuff.

So all up I guess the answer is pointless because the question is a bad one in the first place. They're a modern corporation! If you'd consider getting your morals from a corporation, you're a moron. They are after your coin and nothing else.

Chasing popular support by backing PC issues will produce a sorry end, as it will for other corporates that are taking a similar approach, e.g QANTAS.
The PC warriors are seeking to use the AFL, & its easy to see why.

I do believe the AFL has repaired the poor record with indigenous footballers of VFL footy by actions not words, really Melbourne clubs could no longer turn their backs on the talent & were forced into drafting the best talent.

Last edited:
I don't want to make that I'm anti-PC exactly. It's just a matter of being very sceptical when it's being used by big corporations.
parker-molloy-parkermolloy-25m-i-think-coke-casually-dropped-a-33237917 (2).jpg

C7 is not the AFL.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...ually-abused-aflw-photo-trolls-seven/10919008
7 was trying to protect the young lady & when it didnt work they admitted to the error & put it back up.
IMHO 7 acted responsibly in the moment.

They didn't - but working in a pretty closely related field myself, I can see how the glaring mistake was made by "off-peak staff" out of hours.

While I hate ch7 - especially this week after Koch's hypocritical self-righteousness with Hanson - I'm glad the focus became the dumb* trolls rather than ch7.

Back