The Law Should the legal drinking age be raised?

Remove this Banner Ad

Most 18/19 yo's really can't handle their alcohol and as a result the guys especially often fall into one of three categories.

1. Skirt chasers
2. Brawlers
3. Pass out

Or somtimes all three.

So by that arguement waiting a few years untill they mature socially and physically may be a good idea.

However, much of my "discovered maturity" when it comes to alcohol is as a result of mistakes in the past. So does pushing it back three years really somehow skip the whole immature phase (Which most people go through initially).

I do think though that pushing back the drinking age forces 18-21 to drink in "safer" environments like house parties, so perhaps the learning curve won't be potentially so dangerous.

So at the moment I sit on the fence

As a 26 yo, I think I lean towards pushing it back to 21

As a 18 yo..I would have been dead against it.

The European model just leads to rampant alcoholism and related disease. It's not some beacon of cultural enlightenment.

Just make it a crime to supply alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 - whether they are your own child or otherwise - and also a crime to consume alcohol under the age of 18.

And then actually enforce the law.

Underage drinking will all but vanish if people know the cops can drag you off to the watch-house on the back of a sip of beer.

But of course, there are fairer ways but they just don't work as effectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The European model just leads to rampant alcoholism and related disease. It's not some beacon of cultural enlightenment.

Just make it a crime to supply alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 - whether they are your own child or otherwise - and also a crime to consume alcohol under the age of 18.

And then actually enforce the law.

Underage drinking will all but vanish if people know the cops can drag you off to the watch-house on the back of a sip of beer.

But of course, there are fairer ways but they just don't work as effectively.

so so true.

parents should be charged for supplyng alcohol to their young children as happens now. The damage they are oding to their childrens developing bodies is ver very real.

so so true.

parents should be charged for supplyng alcohol to their young children as happens now. The damage they are oding to their childrens developing bodies is ver very real.

But then the human brain is not fully developed until around 25 years of age, why cut alcohol out until 18, when it will still do the same damage up until the brain has fully developed.

If you are going to bring the 'harm to a developing mind' arguement up, then you should make alcohol illegal to under 25.

Really? Are alcohol problems worse in Europe? They don't seem to have the same level of youth drinking and violence problems. The UK has a far higher incidence of alcohol abuse amongst youth.

The fact is it just wont work

in fact make it worse, people will in fact drink more in unsupervised environments and drink what they can get there hands on which may in fact become more dangerous cocktails of home brew spirit.

What you have than is a worse drunk and possible fatalities from drinkning bad stuff.

18 has worked until now, getting drunk through the years 18-21 has always been some right of passage and yes there have been some issues but whats changed now for violence on our streets.

Me thinks for the culture problem we should be looking elsewhere.

Well let's just let boys be boys then hey?

That's the attitude that causes trouble to start.

Don't be an idiot-enabler.
palin-whoosh1.jpg

So the 4 above posters who are opposed to the raising of age solution yet offer none themselves is:

Do nothing. Just wait and see what happens and ride it out. Maybe the problem will just go away on it's own.

Nice going. :thumbsu:

So the 4 above posters who are opposed to the raising of age solution yet offer none themselves is:

Do nothing. Just wait and see what happens and ride it out. Maybe the problem will just go away on it's own.

For as long as alcohol has existed, there have been problems. There will continue to be problems in future.

Changing the legal age for drinking will not fix the problem one bit.

Perhaps if your going to criticise you can explain how you really expect by raising it is going to help rather than making the problem go under ground.

Maybe the courts could actually give out some sort of decent punishment to the nutters who go out looking for a fight and find one, instead of thinking of ways to punish the vast majority who are just out for a good time with their mates.

If there is no deterrent for having a massive punch on with random people for no reason, what's stopping people from getting a little angry while they're out? They'll just cop a slap on the wrist anyway.

Stronger sentencing for drunken thugs who cause injury while on the piss seems to be a more sensible way to stop the damage before it occurs, rather than going for yet another ban or regulation that won't work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back