Showdown 12....your final tips!

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by PrideofSA
Well, Goodwin basically didn't play last week remember, he went off early in the first quarter....so judging from opinion, this game hasn't a clear favourite, May be a Very good game of footy to watch indeed!

No according to Crows supporters and Adelaide media there isn't a clear favourite. According to the rest of the country Port are the clear favourite as pretty much everyone picked them on The Footy Show and Fox League Teams, TAB have The Power at $1.58 favourites to Adelaide $2.25. To put that into perspective they are giving the lowly Essendon $2 to beat Collingwood.

That is not saying that it won't be a fantastic game and could go either way but to say that there is no clear favourite is just not a FACT.

on the AFL official site they had a poll on who would win.

58% said Crows
42% said Power

So if the bookies say the Power, the fans say the Crows, there isn't a clear favourite really is there!

I doubt the margin will be more than 20 points either way, unless something strange happens!

Originally posted by Zombie

No according to Crows supporters and Adelaide media there isn't a clear favourite. According to the rest of the country Port are the clear favourite as pretty much everyone picked them on The Footy Show and Fox League Teams, TAB have The Power at $1.58 favourites to Adelaide $2.25. To put that into perspective they are giving the lowly Essendon $2 to beat Collingwood.

That is not saying that it won't be a fantastic game and could go either way but to say that there is no clear favourite is just not a FACT.

Is this also the same Zombie who also doesn't watch enough Crows games to have come up with comments like this!

"will struggle to find a midfielder who can go in and get the ball" was the whole comment if you read it correctly.

K.Johnson and A.McLeod are recievers, losing Ricciuto and Goodwin will force the Crows to rely on the likes of Bode to go in and get the ball, which against Primus and Francou will be a mean task indeed. K.Johnson and A.McLeod are recievers, losing Ricciuto and Goodwin will force the Crows to rely on the likes of Bode to go in and get the ball, which against Primus and Francou will be a mean task indeed.

58% said Crows
42% said Power

So if the bookies say the Power, the fans say the Crows, there isn't a clear favourite really is there!

I doubt the margin will be more than 20 points either way, unless something strange happens!

Obviously 'the fans' aren't putting their money where there month is. Obviously according to all bookies Port are the clear cut favourite and this comes from the public putting their hard earned on the result, it isn't just the bookies thinking Port are favourite, it is the punters. BTW what would you believe a poll where nothing is at stake for getting the result wrong or someone putting some hard earned money on a result??

Port are favourites, but according to Choco, i'm sure we would be the underdogs;)

Even with Kingsley out, Port still start slight favourites. In my footy tipping (ie. before Kingsley's withdrawal) I picked Port to win by 17pts. IMO, neither side can be overally confident of victory. ie. Still reckon the Crows are a reasonable chance to win & would happy to be wrong in my showdown tipping.

You know, I don't think it's very important who is really favourite, it's just an opninion on who will win, that doen't mean that team will win.

Once the game starts, it really doesn't matter who is favourite.

But the only reason teams like the underdog status is so they think there is no pressure on them to win because they have nothing to lose, but honestly, this game is important for both teams regardless of favouritism!

58% said Crows
42% said Power

That figure probably refelects to some degree the proportion of Crows and Power supporters.

Anyway - for me the Crows by 2-3 goals - as long as they can contain Francou as he always seems to do well in these games.

"will struggle to find a midfielder who can go in and get the ball" was the whole comment if you read it correctly.

K.Johnson and A.McLeod are recievers, losing Ricciuto and Goodwin will force the Crows to rely on the likes of Bode to go in and get the ball, which against Primus and Francou will be a mean task indeed.

You aren't very good at this are you zombie?

Basically, you failed to answer the question.

How is Goodwin & Riccuito being absent going to have the effect you claim, when against the Bombers last week Goodwin was missing for 90% of the game & Roo was in the forward line. According to you, that left no-one in Crows midfield to go in & get the ball - yet Crows got it far more than Bombers.

Silly boy zombie. You just aren paying attention now, are you?

PS: bookies started the market with both teams at $1.90. Power shortened & Crows moved out basically because no-one on the east coast (where the $$$ are) bets on Crows. They don bet on Crows because Crows were not fancied in the early part of the year, and no-one likes to see their predictions go astray ... so the betting represent a bit of wishful thinking.

Crows should have been fancied early, lost ground when Roo & Goodwin were unavailable, and picked that ground up again when Kingsley & Hardwick were unavailable for Port.

But after all the hype in the week, punters have forgotten form ... and are just going back to what they have heard most of the season ... Brisbane & Port are the only contenders.

We'll see about that.

Originally posted by ok.crows

You aren't very good at this are you zombie?

Basically, you failed to answer the question.

How is Goodwin & Riccuito being absent going to have the effect you claim, when against the Bombers last week Goodwin was missing for 90% of the game & Roo was in the forward line. According to you, that left no-one in Crows midfield to go in & get the ball - yet Crows got it far more than Bombers.

Silly boy zombie. You just aren paying attention now, are you?

OK well I'll try and make it simple for you:

Port are here -> Benchmark

Essendon are here -> Has beens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK well I'll try and make it simple for you:

Port are here -> Benchmark

Essendon are here -> Has beens

Port are not in "Benchmark" form. Struggling to beat the wooden spoon team is hardly benchmark.

Bombers have just finished thumping the fourth-placed team.

But anyway back to the topic - after all that - still you fail to answer the question - how did Crows midfiled get the ball last week without Ricciuto & Goodwin playing in the midfield?

According to you it should have been impossible - according to you all of Crows other midfielders are outside receivers (despite the fact that Bickley for example got 32 possessions last week - that is a lot of time those non-existant ball-getters gave it to him then!).

Again, zombie, you prove that you know zilch about footy. Pay attention mate!

One day, sooner or later (probably later, much much later at this rate) you might get the hang of it.

I guess Zombie is dead to the world of CROW LAND! About to go to bed now, but one final thought before todays' clash.

Let the best team win!

Port are not in "Benchmark" form. Struggling to beat the wooden spoon team is hardly benchmark.

Bombers have just finished thumping the fourth-placed team.

But anyway back to the topic - after all that - still you fail to answer the question - how did Crows midfiled get the ball last week without Ricciuto & Goodwin playing in the midfield?

According to you it should have been impossible - according to you all of Crows other midfielders are outside receivers (despite the fact that Bickley for example got 32 possessions last week - that is a lot of time those non-existant ball-getters gave it to him then!).

Again, zombie, you prove that you know zilch about footy. Pay attention mate!

One day, sooner or later (probably later, much much later at this rate) you might get the hang of it.

I don't think you understood me

Port -> Benchmark

Essendon -> Hasbeens

Dominating in the midfield against Essendon is not exactly difficult, now I know that you are a Crows supporter and got your footy knowledge off the back of a cornflakes packet so I will try and explain it simply. In footy you have 2 types of midfielders, those who go in and get it (often referred to as "in and under" players) and those who receive it (often referred to as "runners").

Crows
"Runners"
McLeod
K.Johnson

"In and Unders"
Riccuito
Goodwin
Bickley

Port
"Runners"
N.Stevens
J.Schofield

"In and Unders"
J.Francou
J.Carr
R.James

As you can see Adelaide have alot of "In and under" players out while Port have alot of runners out. Now with the best ruckman in the league dominating the rucks the Crows will sorely miss their "in and under" players, and "No" before you ask, Salmon is not a dominant ruckman.

I don't think you understood me

Port -> Benchmark

Essendon -> Hasbeens

Dominating in the midfield against Essendon is not exactly difficult, now I know that you are a Crows supporter and got your footy knowledge off the back of a cornflakes packet so I will try and explain it simply. In footy you have 2 types of midfielders, those who go in and get it (often referred to as "in and under" players) and those who receive it (often referred to as "runners").

Crows
"Runners"
McLeod
K.Johnson

"In and Unders"
Riccuito
Goodwin
Bickley

Port
"Runners"
N.Stevens
J.Schofield

"In and Unders"
J.Francou
J.Carr
R.James

As you can see Adelaide have alot of "In and under" players out while Port have alot of runners out. Now with the best ruckman in the league dominating the rucks the Crows will sorely miss their "in and under" players, and "No" before you ask, Salmon is not a dominant ruckman.

Sorry dude! So how are we going to get the ball then? We only have Bickley to go "in and under" I guess that means that Mcleod and Johnson won't get many possesions unless Biglands has an influence!

PS Mcleod and Johnson can do both! You just don't know enough about the Crows! PLease don't try to think you do!

Zombie I back up what others have said.

McLeod is not a recevier, he very often gets his own ball amidst packs.

I think you are getting confused in that McLeod then has the ability to break free of that pack & become a runner in the one action.

Johnson is not limited to a "receiver" role, although he does that more often than not.

Ladhams & Bode are both often "in & Under", particularly Bode.

Edwards is also versatile, always gets a lot of possession, and goes about it effectively & quietly enough that dolts like you Zombie don't even know he is doing it.

Ports midfielders are far more polarised into "roles" than Crows are.

In fact, it is Port who may dry up for possession if Stenglein can stop Francou (which he should be able to do).

Port are the ones liable to run out of players to get them the ball in the midfield.

In fact, it is Port who may dry up for possession if Stenglein can stop Francou (which he should be able to do).

I rest my case, all apologies on my desk by Monday morning.

GO THE POWER!

I rest my case, all apologies on my desk by Monday morning.

GO THE POWER!
I found it strange that Stinger didn't spend most of the day on Francou (ie. was only moved on to him in the last quarter after Josh ran riot in the 3rd quarter). Perhaps, Ayres is saving some of his moves for the showdown final?

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
I found it strange that Stinger didn't spend most of the day on Francou (ie. was only moved on to him in the last quarter after Josh ran riot in the 3rd quarter). Perhaps, Ayres is saving some of his moves for the showdown final?

What Showdown final? Don't you think you can beat Brisbane at the Gabba? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back