Simonds Stadium Snubbed For Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats well and truly ****** over
I understand the view of Crowds at MCG v Simmonds argument ......and i understand the MCG # games in their contract argument ......but if GWS get to play a finals game at their suburban ground, then so did Geelong

The AFL opened this Pandoras box by changing the policies to promote GWS and footy in Sydney & then not even handedly applying that policy to all clubs .......yes Geelong was ....... over

The AFL can bang on about an uncompromised competition as much as they like .......but they keep making decisions that further compromise the comp

I understand the view of Crowds at MCG v Simmonds argument ......and i understand the MCG # games in their contract argument ......but if GWS get to play a finals game at their suburban ground, then so did Geelong

The AFL opened this Pandoras box by changing the policies to promote GWS and footy in Sydney & then not even handedly applying that policy to all clubs .......yes Geelong was ....... over

The AFL can bang on about an uncompromised competition as much as they like .......but they keep making decisions that further compromise the comp
I think the AFL's mindset with the giants is given they don't have that nany members the SCG isn't necessay but given Richmond and Geelong collectively have nearly 125k members and most Victorian matches have been held there the MCG is the obvious choice. Plus stadium contracts and all that. Is it ideal? Is playing the grand final always in Victoria ideal? Arguably not, but the precedent has been set and changing now would be ridiculous.

I think the AFL's mindset with the giants is given they don't have that nany members the SCG isn't necessay but given Richmond and Geelong collectively have nearly 125k members and most Victorian matches have been held there the MCG is the obvious choice. Plus stadium contracts and all that. Is it ideal? Is playing the grand final always in Victoria ideal? Arguably not, but the precedent has been set and changing now would be ridiculous.
In the end all decisions are about $$$$$$$ ........AFL bangs on about being a Social leader, with all it's causes & round themes ......but yet continues to promote the biggest scurge to society gambling, because of the $$$$$ ......hypocrites !!!!!

Why if they AFL is about maximising attendance for finals isn't the Sydney vs Essendon game being played at ANZ seeing as how it is a lockout at the SCG?
Any member who wanted a ticket could easily have got one. It's only just a lockout, perfect size stadium for the game. At Geelong it would have been a lockout 3 times over.

And if Geelong played two games a season at the G, turn up Grand Final Day and get smoked, they'd sook they didn't get enough exposure on the G.

Geelong supporters tend to also have a victim, small town attitude.

Big MCG games is why some players crave Victorian clubs for and grow up wanting.

It's tradition and shock horror, it's an entertainment organisation wanting to maximise their profits. Are people really just considering the AFL care more about money than perceived fairness?

The MCG didn't make Dangerfield hoof it at 45% or Duckwood only have 6 kicks for the match. Nor did what colour are the visitors toilets!

Always the victims! Grow up and if you're good enough, you'll win it anywhere!

You're a two man side, both played ordinary and you got flogged. Simple!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I have the answer. If Geelong host a big Melbourne club in a final at the MCG, we should let Geelong supporters purchase as many tickets as they can (say 35,000), and then allow Carlton/Collingwood/Richmond/Essendon/Hawthorn supporters only that same number of tickets.

Then, when Geelong run out, no booing, and no yelling too loudly for our team either.

Oh and let a Geelong ground announcer fire up the cats crowd at the beginning, and let a Geelong supporters flip the coin. And Channel 7 need to spend more time talking about the cats.

There, I think that covers it

Geelong is already given a huge leg up by being the only Victorian club with an actual home ground. Its pure fantasy to say any other Vic club has a genuine exclusive home ground.

Play the finals at the biggest venue that can handle the anticipated crowd. Simple.
Part of the advantage of 'home ground advantage' is that the crowd is highly parochial and that the visitors have limited seating.

The other part is intense familiarity with the nature of the ground and how to use it to your advantage.

And I'm sorry, but I have to take the opinion of someone who's team's home ground IS the MCG with a grain of salt. I don't mean that as a reflection upon you personally, it's just that it seems it would be easier to take your position if it had no impact on your team.

But it is what it is. As others have said, AFL's priorities and deals with the MCG, have to win at the G on the big day anyway, etc. I just don't think it's particularly advantageous for the QF, EF and PF's.

Simonds is only 115 m wide and that's their problem come September.
Scott has turned them into an overly defensive team suited to their ground dimensions and they are very good there.
Elsewhere though they're exposed massively.
Hasn't hurt them before. Remember 07, 09 and 11? It's only become an issue now because they have a few more seats. But like Etihad, when it come to blockbuster crowds, MCG is the obvious choice.

Hasn't hurt them before. Remember 07, 09 and 11? It's only become an issue now because they have a few more seats. But like Etihad, when it come to blockbuster crowds, MCG is the obvious choice.
That team was attacking and could play anywhere.
The AFL got it right.

Never heard anyone from Geelong complain about home finals at the G between 07-11. That's because they were a champion team who believed they could win anywhere.

It's only now an issue because the Cats are really just a mid table side propped up by the talent of two good players, and guaranteed banked wins at their unique shaped home ground that they only know how to play.

Except we don't just automatically get games at the G, we are given Melbourne games at Etihad to make up for the teams who sell their home games elsewhere. Totally the same thing, right.
I agree but that wasnt the point being made, the point is Geelong's time, effort and focus would be better spent campaigning for all the Melbourne matches they get as home games to be automatically MCG. It's one thing to want the home ground advantage through the season but personally I'd prefer be a better side on the MCG. I mean this year I'd prefer have run into Geelong, Sydney or GWS on the MCG for the grand final(if we can get there), now it's looming to be Richmond which actually concerns me more than the other sides. Not because they are the best side but because they play the ground well. The last few years results home ground advantage plays a bigger role and it certainly aided Hawthorn come finals series. Do you want a normal season advantage or the one in finals? I know what I'd prefer since I want to win a premiership rather than always being in the mix.

Never heard anyone from Geelong complain about home finals at the G between 07-11. That's because they were a champion team who believed they could win anywhere.

It's only now an issue because the Cats are really just a mid table side propped up by the talent of two good players, and guaranteed banked wins at their unique shaped home ground that they only know how to play.
Mid table sides dont finish 2nd in an 18 team comp despite playing 15 away games each year and only 7 home.

finishing higher in the 8 should guarantee a home state final, not a home ground final. Sorry Geelong, but the best stadiums are where finals should be played. You're the only Victorian team with a unique ground advantage, every other team shares one of two major stadiums. Why should you also bring that unique advantage into finals and lock out so many fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back