News Simonds Stadium stage 3 redevelopment - Players Stand, big screen and new lights

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Massive news coming out of the Cattery this morning. Stay tuned!

They just have to make sure they get lights.
Although I'd never get to go, I think a Friday night game at Kardinia park would be fantastic for the people of geelong.

They just have to make sure they get lights.
Although I'd never get to go, I think a Friday night game at Kardinia park would be fantastic for the people of geelong.
There was talk a while ago about the possibility of Geelong 'owning' Saturday twilight home games when GC17 and GWS come in to the competition, should a stadium redevelopment happen.

A 5:30pm-6:30pm start under lights would enable people to play their own weekend sports and such and then turn up to watch Geelong, before getting home to watch the second half of the regular night matches.

Of all the suggestions coming out of AFL headquarters in recent times, I absolutely love this idea and hope it comes about. :thumbsu:

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/component/content/article/10706.html

"The Victorian Government will invest $25 million into the third stage of a major redevelopment of Geelong’s Skilled Stadium to ensure the facility remains Australia’s best regional sporting venue and to drive jobs growth in Geelong.

Visiting Skilled Stadium today, Premier John Brumby said the redevelopment would see the construction of a new Northern Stand, bringing the ground’s capacity to more than 35,000 and boosting Geelong’s ability to attract major sporting and cultural events for generations to come."

Hardly "Massive News". Very good, but not "Massive".
Just another BS photo op. for a politician.

I see this is a 75 Million project. Has it been announced where the other 50 million is coming from? I assume the Federal Government will provide the most amount of money with Geelong Council and Geelong FC providing the rest.

Fantastic news for the future of the GFC. Guarantees our financial viabilty in so many ways. A bit of credit to the State govt wouldn't be out of place for this announcement.Will be interesting to find out if improved lighting for night events are incorporated into the final design.

http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/96034/default.aspx
The Victorian Government will invest $25 million into the third stage of a major redevelopment of Geelong’s Skilled Stadium to ensure the facility remains Australia’s best regional sporting venue and to drive jobs growth in Geelong.

Visiting Skilled Stadium on Thursday, premier John Brumby said the redevelopment would see the construction of a new Northern Stand, bringing the ground’s capacity to more than 35,000 and boosting Geelong’s ability to attract major sporting and cultural events for generations to come.
http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/96034/default.aspx

Mr Brumby said Stage Three of the Skilled Stadium redevelopment would include:

New training, playing, spectator and change-room facilities for the Geelong Cricket Club;
Improved facilities for the Kardinia Park Netball Complex;
A new 1,000-seat function room suitable for use by both private and business functions;
A purpose built Community Wellness and Education Centre;
A Geelong Sports Museum to celebrate the region’s sporting successes;
and A new events live site within Kardinia Park to host major events.

I think there is no way the AFL will let the Cats play home finals there even if the capacity grows to 45k. Not while the MCG is down the highway. The AFL decide where to play the finals to maximise attendances - obviously can't compete with a venue that holds 100k down the road.

CatsInsider's just tweeted that funding will go ahead with or without World Cup.

Make that 'without' - the world cup bid is dead in the water.

Re: Skilled Stadium stage 3 development on the way

This is very good news.

Probably won't convince the AFL to let us play finals at Skilled, but it may well convince them to give us the new twilight slot they have mooted for the 18 team competition, which is fantastic as I'd really enjoy being at Skilled under lights.

Also helps create jobs, and allow more people to come to the games.

Im not sure where the 2019 came from , at the moment we are still bidding for the WCup in 2018. Weird

Listening to the old King of Spin , the Cookster on SEN ,

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Geelong-CEO-Brian-Cook/561

He gives the impression that this represents 25M of the 75M required , and they hope to negotiate with Fed Gov for 36 M Geelong City Council for 7M , the AFL for 6 M and the Cats chip in 5M. He said he was hoping to finalise the negotiations by the end of this year and to start building at the end of the season No lights in this current stage.

Im sure it will be fantastic as long as you don't sit in the Wade stand you will basically be in a brand new seat at KP , it should look fantastic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lowry has come and and all but admitted that they will go for the 2022 WC - Blatter has pretty much said the 2018 one will go to Europe so the 2022 looks like the one Australia will pitch for.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sports/2010-06/10/c_13343445.htm

Sounds like 2018 was just strategic tactic. Bid until they have enough support for 2022 guaranteed if they withdraw their 2018 attempt.

Still the result for the WC 2022 will be know by Dec this year. If they do get it then I think they will quickly develop a plan for the full ground to get done but when it gets done.. not sure.

The difficulty would be that the WC mods require it being built to a rectangle and 44,000 capacity. This would be changed and reduced post WC. So what would they do in the preceding time? Each change costs. So if we changed it in 2011/2012 , then again in 2021 then again in 2022 that would cost more , who pays for this?

The difficulty would be that the WC mods require it being built to a rectangle and 44,000 capacity. This would be changed and reduced post WC. So what would they do in the preceding time? Each change costs. So if we changed it in 2011/2012 , then again in 2021 then again in 2022 that would cost more , who pays for this?

Not sure I understand what you have said.
But I'd think they'd build a standard stadium to seat 40k (or so), and drop the surface level during the WC to allow the rectangle and to tier more seating.

That would make sense to me.

Not sure I understand what you have said.
But I'd think they'd build a standard stadium to seat 40k (or so), and drop the surface level during the WC to allow the rectangle and to tier more seating.

That would make sense to me.

Let me try again. For the World Cup configuration the Stadium would be configured to hold 44,000 and also a soccer field obviously. Post the WC , the ground would be reconfigured to hold around 39,500 and the standard AFL ground.

Now maybe this extra seats are in overlap of the ground shape , not sure. Up in Sydney when the ground was reconfigured post Olympics Im sure some of the stands where altered to hold less. I suppose the devil is in the detail but if the cost of changing is substantial I wonder if they would really want to change the stadium 3 times. Perhaps they have already calculated this into the costs.

All I hope is that we get the WC , purely because the ground will look a more finished stadium and the Wade stand will get upgraded(where I sit)

for the past few months i thought skilled would hold 44,000 after the world cup, apparently 35,000-37,000 is the number. now this is a fine print the fans (or at least i) have not heard about. im now more confused by the media saying after the Ablett terrace redevlopment skilled will hold 35,000?

i am slightly disapointed if 35,000 - 37,000 is the final capacity, while it is still good surely with some MCG style standing room or some of the new Ablett Stand being used for some traditional standing room it would hold a bit more? i find it hard to believe that the ground couldnt hold at least 43,000 when fully developed for AFL purposes.

for the past few months i thought skilled would hold 44,000 after the world cup, apparently 35,000-37,000 is the number. now this is a fine print the fans (or at least i) have not heard about. im now more confused by the media saying after the Ablett terrace redevlopment skilled will hold 35,000?

i am slightly disapointed if 35,000 - 37,000 is the final capacity, while it is still good surely with some MCG style standing room or some of the new Ablett Stand being used for some traditional standing room it would hold a bit more? i find it hard to believe that the ground couldnt hold at least 43,000 when fully developed for AFL purposes.
I'm pretty sure that this is stage 3 of a four-stage development, which would eventually see the capacity increased into the 40000s. At least that's how I've understood it!

I'm pretty sure that this is stage 3 of a four-stage development, which would eventually see the capacity increased into the 40000s. At least that's how I've understood it!
thats what i thought to, then i read in the paper that the capacity would reach 44,000 during the world cup, then come to 35,000-37,000 after the world cup.

thats what i thought to, then i read in the paper that the capacity would reach 44,000 during the world cup, then come to 35,000-37,000 after the world cup.

I think there is a lot of vague stuff quoted in the papers like 2019 for eg.

On this tour of the new stand. @4.36 it's stated that the Masterplan developed in 2000 is :
without WC its around 38,000 , with WC it goes up to 44,000 then down to 40,000

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/04/16/164685_afl_videos.html

Re: Skilled Stadium redevelopment (with pictures)

Update in Todays Addy;

Cats CEO Brian Cook and president Frank Costa held high-level talks in Canberra yesterday in a bid to secure $36 million from the Federal Government to turn their plans for a ground capacity of 40,000 plus into reality.

SKILLEDSTA_WIDE_IMAGE_TOP_1_I0275293_53627.JPG

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/11/23/228041_news.html

Re: Skilled Stadium redevelopment (with pictures)

THAT LOOKS SWEET!!!!

40,000...jeepers.....that would be crazy good. Hope it goes through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back