News Simonds Stadium stage 3 redevelopment - Players Stand, big screen and new lights

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Skilled Stadium stage 3 development on the way

So reading between the lines , its sounds like the Wade stand may get an overhaul , perhaps because it would be slightly smaller than a city end Stand.

Not sure if they would they do an Premiership stand design or just a tweak of the current but it sounds like they want the easiest(cheapest) way to get to 35,000 , not that I mind cause I thought it would be a decade or two before my seats in the Wade Stand would be any thing other wood. The lights will be an issue , if they cant get lights it will restrict games scheduling.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/12/05/230775_gfc.html

Skilled Stadium $25m upgrade green light

I just happened to see on a OneHD news update something about $25 mil from the government.

I guess we'll have more info after the news tonight.

Re: $25 mil boost for Skilled Stadium

There's a bigger thread about this on the North board than here... Very good news for the cats, however it means there is only 7 matches left of standing room for ever!

Apparently we're trying to get an extra $3mil from the Great City of Geelong and another $3mil from the AFL. So a potential $31mil upgrade.

Yep, there was a report about this on the Channel 7 News at 6:00pm this evening. I didn't catch all of the details, but I believe I heard it is a $25 million grant via the Victorian State Government to assist Stadium Redevelopment. I caught a glimpse of Ted Baillieu making the announcement and there was a comment: "It's to assist a redevelopment of the Stadium and make the venue an option for not just Australian Rules Football, but also other sports and events" (or words to that effect.) The News Report also mentioned other money from other sources, but I can't recall the specifics TBH.

I assume that more details will follow in the newspapers tomorrow.

As befitting one of the premier clubs in the AFL ,and the only Victorian club with its own home ground, the Cats are playing 2011 with the old Wade Stand at the swimming pool end erect for the final year.

The state government yesterday handed over a cheque for $25 million to demolish the Wade Stand and erect a modern, multi-storey stand which will take Skilled Stadium's capacity to 34,500.

The question is: will it remain the Wade Stand, or perhaps become the Scarlett Stand?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/g...h-handball-count/story-e6frf9if-1226036811167

The question is -- where the hell will I be sitting next year? Not sure how many it holds but it would be multiple 1000's so it will be a task for Cook to solve next year but short term pain long term gain I suppose

As befitting one of the premier clubs in the AFL ,and the only Victorian club with its own home ground, the Cats are playing 2011 with the old Wade Stand at the swimming pool end erect for the final year.

The state government yesterday handed over a cheque for $25 million to demolish the Wade Stand and erect a modern, multi-storey stand which will take Skilled Stadium's capacity to 34,500.

The question is: will it remain the Wade Stand, or perhaps become the Scarlett Stand?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/g...h-handball-count/story-e6frf9if-1226036811167

The question is -- where the hell will I be sitting next year? Not sure how many it holds but it would be multiple 1000's so it will be a task for Cook to solve next year but short term pain long term gain I suppose

Why the hell did Rod Nicholson put this bit in the story ?
It was to be big Mark Blake's belated 100th game celebration but the ruckman must wait, having to settle for a spot in the reserves yesterday.
Hey Rod,it was also mean't to be Byrnes 100th

So this announcement is why Ted the Toff was walking around the boundary with Cookie during the VFL game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was under the impression of if they chipped in, we'd have the ablett terrace redeveloped, and if they didn't we'd settle for the wade and leave the bigger terrace for a later date :confused:

I heard about this as well before the game, the cheersquad were s**tting themselves as to where they would be shunted to.....I laughed, but then I wondered where I would be sitting!!!!

I was under the impression of if they chipped in, we'd have the ablett terrace redeveloped, and if they didn't we'd settle for the wade and leave the bigger terrace for a later date :confused:

I was under that impression as well, but I guess there were too many people complaining about the splinters in thier a*ses (me included).

let's hope any redevelopment includes lights

Come on CF, this board has been through this discussion about half a dozen times over the last 4 years. Not enough room around the ground for light towers to make it suitable for night football apparently.

Shattered if they get rid of all the standing room.

and this is exactly what's happening. The "They" that would have made the difference is the fed's. This money is state and was basically already locked in.Cook had been making noises about the Wade stand since we missed out on the World Cup.

Reading this it seems quite a big addition as it will add a theoretical 7000 to take our max to 34500. (That would make our current capacity 27500 which we never reach but thats another issue) Its also to include a members lounge so I suppose this means an alternative to Lamby's out the back.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/04/10/252861_news.html

Come on CF, this board has been through this discussion about half a dozen times over the last 4 years. Not enough room around the ground for light towers to make it suitable for night football apparently.

Shattered if they get rid of all the standing room.

I don't think lights need to be on towers to be effective (perhaps other solutions).

Would love to see night football at the cattery :thumbsu:

I don't think lights need to be on towers to be effective (perhaps other solutions).

Would love to see night football at the cattery :thumbsu:

Maybe little in ground spot lights? :D

Nah its good to see the Libs follow through with a labour promise, especially one that benefits the team we all love!!

That is a very huge stand to grow capacity to 34,500. What does it hold currently? 4,000? That would make the new stand's capacity 11,500, twice that of the premierships stand and the hickey stand.

Costa was on 3aw yesterday.

The club has given him the role to get the stadium sorted.
He said the Wade stand will go and the new stand will be ready for the beginning of 2013.

And they then want 8 games to be the standard fixture.

He said lights were the top priority.

This is due to the fact that they believe Geelong will almost definitely get a T20 team and he thinks one day an A league team.
He said they must get the lights to ensure they can secure a T20 franchise.

He said after the lights that the Ablett terrace area would become the priority. But that is an 80 million dollar project.

And then they want 9 games as standard

This is due to the fact that they believe Geelong will almost definitely get a T20 team and he thinks one day an A league team.
He said they must get the lights to ensure they can secure a T20 franchise.

The T20 franchises have been announced - the 2nd Vic one will be played out of Eddiehad Stadium.

Yep. He said there will be 2 regional franchises awarded later, and if they have lights he believes they will get one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back