Opinion Six $1m players in the AFL in 2019 - GWS with potentially 3 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

What were Freo going to trade? They’d already (really early in the trade period) traded their first round pick for Harley Bennell and categorically ruled out trading any players of worth to get more picks. There was no trade going to happen in 2015 after Freo traded the only thing of real value for Bennell (how’d that work out, remind me?)

Not only did we not want to let him go, Freo had nothing to give us that was worth what McCarthy was worth.

We would have happily had him play for us, as he was contracted to do, in 2016 but he chose not to. When the next trade period rolled round and McCarthy still had another year on his contract, we traded him for something that got us Taranto.

Win for us. It wouldn’t have been in 2015.

There are plenty of ways it could've been done. I just did a simple search and there is 2015 trade articles everywhere about how Fremantle was willing to pay overs. Trading another player, three way trade, list goes on.

GWS decided to retain him, that's their call. Doesn't change the fact that you got less for Cam a year later, after he sat out the whole year. GWS also had to give up McCarthy and picks seven, 34 and 72 to get pick No.3 in 2016 NAB AFL Draft. You in turn gave up 3 and 16 to get to Tim Taranto.

Claiming in your earlier post that Cam McCarthy was traded for pick 3 and GWS magically worked their way up to land Tim Taranto is factually incorrect.

There are plenty of ways it could've been done. I just did a simple search and there is 2015 trade articles everywhere about how Fremantle was willing to pay overs. Trading another player, three way trade, list goes on.

GWS decided to retain him, that's their call. Doesn't change the fact that you got less for Cam a year later, after he sat out the whole year. GWS also had to give up McCarthy and picks seven, 34 and 72 to get pick No.3 in 2016 NAB AFL Draft. You in turn gave up 3 and 16 to get to Tim Taranto.

Claiming in your earlier post that Cam McCarthy was traded for pick 3 and GWS magically worked their way up to land Tim Taranto is factually incorrect.

Given Freo spent pretty much the whole trade period saying “we’re not trading a player” (which is fair enough) what player of significant enough quality were they going to put on the table late in the period? Rubbish. They were never trading a player and didn’t have the picks.

It wasn’t getting done in 2015 no matter how much you want to try to re-write history. Freo weren’t budging and neither were we, regardless of what that article says. And it certainly doesn’t say they were willing to pay overs.

And even if they were (they weren’t) they couldn’t.

Whichever way you want to look at it - the fact remains - we turned McCarthy into Taranto - win for us.

Last edited:

This is really not true, you turned McCarthy + 7 + 34 +72 + 16 in to Taranto.

“in to Taranto” you missed + other picks (3+16 = 2+31+51+60) which were used in part to match bids on Setterfield, Perryman and Cumming.

We had McCarthy on the list one year, and as a result of trading him out, we had Taranto on the list the following year. In other words - we turned McCarthy into Taranto - win for us. How we got there is, to me, pretty much irrelevant. McCarthy out, Taranto in + pick swaps with other clubs that helped get us three other players.

But, enough rehashing a trade from 3 years ago involving players who AREN’T earning $1mil.

We should really get back to putting the tin-foil on and talking rubbish made up figures about who people think (wrongly) are on $1mil. That’s what this thread is about after all - conspiracy theories - and the McCarthy thing might be many things, but conspiracy theory is not one of them.

Back on topic gentlemen please.

Tin-foil at the ready!

In simple terms would you leave your job and go and work for another company out of state for less pay?
To say GWS are paying under's to out of state of players who could earn more elsewhere is dumb.
A football club isn't like working for Coles.

It's been shown a few times that players have signed for less than to head back down south.

Kelly, Cogs and Greene all have.

Last edited:
No out of state player would play for GWS for under's despite the claims of some, not unless they were really dumb

Yeah, cause playing for Claremont or West Adelaide is a lot more glamorous and financially rewarding than playing for the Giants, even on minimum/rookie wages.

That is a silly argument.

Yeah, cause playing for Claremont or West Adelaide is a lot more glamorous and financially rewarding than playing for the Giants, even on minimum/rookie wages.

That is a silly argument.
On your part yes. No intelligent person works for under's. Anyone who does is a total Goose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to see here everyone wants to stay at GWS for unders there is no secret AFL ambassador money or 3rd party deals organised and ticked off by the AFL that you only get if you stay
Everyone is on minimum whack and the other rest of the seniors are playing and staying for virtually nothing and all the stockpiled first rounders in the NEAFL are happy to play bush league for minimum wage and wont leave in 2 years time either.

It all makes sense

Theres no way GWS could be paying half a dozen players over a mill each and still keep the rest for the remaining 33 cents a game to stay under the cap if it wasnt true

So that's a no.
That's a 100% yes.
You GWS fans are very credulous when it comes to any positives that AFL house come out with to suit your views
You even believe the crowd numbers put out for your home games, when its clear the stadium is only a 1/3 full and a crowd number is put out of 12,000.

Nothing to see here everyone wants to stay at GWS for unders there is no secret AFL ambassador money or 3rd party deals organised and ticked off by the AFL that you only get if you stay
Everyone is on minimum whack and the other rest of the seniors are playing and staying for virtually nothing and all the stockpiled first rounders in the NEAFL are happy to play bush league for minimum wage and wont leave in 2 years time either.

It all makes sense

Theres no way GWS could be paying half a dozen players over a mill each and still keep the rest for the remaining 33 cents a game to stay under the cap if it wasnt true

You know you're defeated when you resort to building the most outrageous strawmen.

That's a 100% yes.
You GWS fans are very credulous when it comes to any positives that AFL house come out with to suit your views
You even believe the crowd numbers put out for your home games, when its clear the stadium is only a 1/3 full and a crowd number is put out of 12,000.
Really? The links to this evidence of anything untoward by the Giants? Any at all?

Just another traditionalist rant.

All I see are a few individuals who were expecting a flood of stars to leave the expansion clubs gutted that they decided to stay for less than what was on offer.

I may be wrong and we may have done something dodgy, but I see no evidence anywhere of it happening.

Really? The links to this evidence of anything untoward by the Giants? Any at all?

Just another traditionalist rant.

All I see are a few individuals who were expecting a flood of stars to leave the expansion clubs gutted that they decided to stay for less than what was on offer.

I may be wrong and we may have done something dodgy, but I see no evidence anywhere of it happening.
You GWS fans certainly struggle with truth, and surely not even you believe a majority of crowd numbers put out for your home games

You GWS fans certainly struggle with truth, and surely not even you believe a majority of crowd numbers put out for your home games
Lol struggling? We are up to I think 4 threads here and on the dt board from whingers and crybabies gutted over players staying at the club they were drafted at.

So enjoy that tinfoil hat.

Lol struggling? We are up to I think 4 threads here and on the dt board from whingers and crybabies gutted over players staying at the club they were drafted at.

So enjoy that tinfoil hat.
Mate you continue to live in that bubble as you wont like living in the real and keep believing all the propaganda that comes out from AFL house about players playing for under's and your crowd numbers and junior playing numbers in West Sydney.
Us in the real world know the truth and we don't swallow the BS that comes out about your club, unlike you and other GWS fans.
Have a nice day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back