Slashing the half time break to 10 minutes

Half time break should be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the reasoning behind it? If you attend the games ht is barely enough time to go toilet and get food and drinks. Also would mean less time for Aus kickers

Yeah its not a good idea, NFL is 12 minutes & you regularly see half empty stands at the start of second halves as fans don't have time to get back to their seats.

What the fook is Robbo gonna do,? Take a piss, refill the beer, have a fooking durry, nah fooking have 2 durries., refill the beer, aghh fooking dump required. have to have winnie blue on shitter cos second half about to start. 10 minutes nah not suitable for Robbo

Someone think of the Auskickers!

/Lovejoy

* the Auskickers.

All I want is time for a dart, to haul my fat arse back up to level 3, to grab a beer or some chips, and get back to my seat for the bounce. That can't be done in 10 minutes.

Love it, I think siren to siren needs to be reduced by about half an hour. A bit of each of the breaks and 3-5 minutes of each quarter.

The best idea the AFL has had in years.

What’s got me stuffed about this is when has it ever been a talking point or issue? I have never heard supporters discuss the length of a halftime break. Just more manufactured BS from the current cretins stuffing the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s got me stuffed about this is when has it ever been a talking point or issue? I have never heard supporters discuss the length of a halftime break. Just more manufactured BS from the current cretins stuffing the game.
Make some dumb unnecessary changes, then give yourself a pay bump.

Won't happen, but it won't be the players, the clubs or the coaches who put the kibosh on it.

It will be the broadcasters.

Channel & won't like this, as they run a lot of ads during half-time. Less half-time means less ads, and Seven have invested heaps of money, and want to get something back for it.

However, they can cut things like Hamish interviewing the Auskick kid on Sat night. The kid usually gives nothing while Hamish leers over him or her like a pedo.

Besides, Captain Blood, it would mean you have to wait ten minutes longer at the end of the game for the bandwagon that you and your fellow Richmond supporters jumped on in 2017 to come past and pick you all up from the footy.

Won't happen, but it won't be the players, the clubs or the coaches who put the kibosh on it.

It will be the broadcasters.

Channel 7 won't like this, as they run a lot of ads during half-time. Less half-time means less ads, and Seven have invested heaps of money, and want to get something back for it.
Would've thought this has already been approved by broadcasters if it's now at the stage of being proposed to the clubs.

I've never heard TV executives talk about the value of half-time commercials, the focus seems to be on something else:
“[The break after a goal] is the most valuable 30 seconds of screen real estate in Australian television, aside from the 30 seconds after an over.”

They can still get something like two 3-minute blocks of ads in this way, while a shorter main break theoretically means viewers are less likely to switch off or put a movie on at HT. Plus, there's also this line from the article in the OP:
The AFL believes it would improve the television product and alleviate concerns over the overall length of games.

I just assumed it was to stop the 3:20 game from running over into the 6pm news slot. But that's just stupid, because if the AFL were worried about that they would just bring back the start time to 3:10.

Or better yet, 2 freaking 10.

Besides, Captain Blood, it would mean you have to wait ten minutes longer at the end of the game for the bandwagon that you and your fellow Richmond supporters jumped on in 2017 to come past and pick you all up from the footy.

shhhhh mate, the adults are talking.

Back