Autopsy Smashed in the middle no worries brutal 14pt win against the Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

yes, papley was good last night ... full of positive energy
Good Vibes GIF by GIPHY Cares

Add Collingwood fans calling for the ump to be sent to the VFL for getting a rule correct (i believe) that was funny have a sneaky look at their forum
I popped over to Freo and their comments were all very balanced. The odd so-and-so player should be dropped or tactics improved but what-a-comeback and the like. Very civil. Noted that Sidebottom had pulled the not returning the ball to Nicholls earlier (dropped it on the ground after being asked twice to give) and that Nicholls was very annoyed. Suggested this stuff was part of McRae's coaching for tight finishes. Might well be right too.

High contact frees always make me laugh.

The concept goes out the window if it's a fend-off or a spectacular mark.
Technical highs are a blight on the game and hits high tackling teams the hardest.

We seemed hesitant to tackle effectively due to the risk of giving away a free. The Dogs exploited that, throwing the ball out of our half tackles and constantly moving forward.

Gee, their Ed Richards is a player

I popped over to Freo and their comments were all very balanced. The odd so-and-so player should be dropped or tactics improved but what-a-comeback and the like. Very civil. Noted that Sidebottom had pulled the not returning the ball to Nicholls earlier (dropped it on the ground after being asked twice to give) and that Nicholls was very annoyed. Suggested this stuff was part of McRae's coaching for tight finishes. Might well be right too.
I don't get it, time is blown off when a player is tackled and if dropping the ball is a delay tactic to get set at stoppages it would advantage both teams equally. Let's face it, Nicholls has a massive ego, he's worse than Razor Ray in making it all about himself. If he wanted to make a point, do it in the centre of the ground, not 15 out and a certain goal. We'd all be filthy if someone made that call against us.

Technical highs are a blight on the game and hits high tackling teams the hardest.

We seemed hesitant to tackle effectively due to the risk of giving away a free. The Dogs exploited that, throwing the ball out of our half tackles and constantly moving forward.
Given we might meet them in finals we need to devise a work-around for that.

Teams going to be looking at the Dogs work in the middle where they smashed us. Our achilles heel still needs more work it seems.
Our mids were positioned for us to win it , then we have the blatant holding of Heeney and the maggots can't see it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to go 10-1, actually brilliant and another super win. Dogs were excellent in the first half and brave in the second half - kinda disturbing how we fell away in those last 10 minutes, we looked like the team coming off the 5 day break with two down on the bench. Broken tackles, dump kicks, little run or chase etc.

It's a long season, and it's feel like you can't possibly expect your players to be "up" the whole time - can't fault what the coaches have done to date personnel wise but this start does give us the mandate to manage the list somewhat in the second half of the season. Will be interesting to see how it's played.

Great to go 10-1, actually brilliant and another super win. Dogs were excellent in the first half and brave in the second half - kinda disturbing how we fell away in those last 10 minutes, we looked like the team coming off the 5 day break with two down on the bench. Broken tackles, dump kicks, little run or chase etc.

It's a long season, and it's feel like you can't possibly expect your players to be "up" the whole time - can't fault what the coaches have done to date personnel wise but this start does give us the mandate to manage the list somewhat in the second half of the season. Will be interesting to see how it's played.

Last bye week I think I commented I'd be pretty pleased with going 4 - 2 to the next bye. The fact we went 6 - 0 is outstanding

Love hate relationship with umpires already before the weekend even ended. FK for Dogs wasn't there, 50 for McLean wasn't there, but on a technicality the FK against Collingwood was there
I have to admit when I saw all the headlines about the uproar over a poor decision resulting in 50m penalty I was delighted to think someone had taken up the cudgels about the appalling high tackle decision vs Chad. I should have known better.

The Freo free kick seems completely analogous to the Rankine free kick last week - technically correct, but rarely paid and almost never paid at that point in the game. Ya gotta roll with the punches Pies...

The one that got me most furious (and apologies if this has been dissected elsewhere) is Bont lying on the ground making no effort to get rid of the ball but demanding that the ump pay him a high tackle free. The Bont is one helluva player but I'm not sure that gives him the right to decide free kicks. Completely gutless effort from the ump.

we were a bit off, but we have such a depth of talent across our players, enough of them stood up in that third term to outclass the dogs ... and that's really what it was; one good quarter from the best team in the league (for now)
and now we (players and fans) can enjoy the break with so much to look forward to

Did they do it in our game earlier this year?

Did they do it in our game earlier this year?
Absolutely no idea. Probably not as they weren't protecting a lead. Others around the traps have said it's something they do.
Watching the replay Daicos knew immediately they were up the creek.
McRae pretending he didn't know the AFL had sent around an edict to all clubs the previous year that it would be penalised. BS.
Gives that extra few seconds to set up, not really time wasting IMO but the ruling is leave it on the ground or hand it to the ump.

Finally got around to watching the game.

My desire to see the bulldogs merged with #lolNorf or preferably folded has not diminished in the slightest.

I thought it was a really good result given the circumstances. We know that at this elite level that any drop-off in focus and intensity is often costly, see Tiges and WC games earlier in the year.
Not hard to imagine our boys, having gone 9-1 and two games clear, with other leading contenders stumbling, and with the promise of a five day weekend looming, might have been a little distracted. Add the short turnaround into a 'midweek" game and a disappointing, largely boorish crowd (not our people), and I'd suggest, we were ripe for the picking.
Conversely, the Dogs, after copping flack in the media early in the season, were chockfull of confidence and looking to add an exclamation mark to their statement (in their mind at least) win against the Giants in Sydney last week.
Channel 7's pre-game interviews with Bont, exuding concentration and a steely determination, and Chad, relaxed and smiling and very much like a man going through the motions and winding down the clock to some much sought after R&R, was enough to spike my nerves and start implementing the anxiety-avoidance strategies... out the back with the radio and AFL stats site lol
Of course there was also some pretty ordinary umpiring and while the Dogs might be entitled to the odd grievance, the double-standards around HTB and selective enforcement of push-outs and high contact, ensured the Dogs had every chance to score the upset.
What was so pleasing was that at no time did our boys ever seem like they were losing the battle. No panicked decision-making, no poor execution and a total adherence to keeping the game on our terms and forcing the Dogs to come up with something out of the ordinary. We were a little fortunate with their injuries but thought JJ had well and truly put the clamps on Richards in the second before he went down.
Couple of nice moments that remind that it is just a game... Meli showing concern for Naughton, I think Macrae? showing concern for Errol after both crashed over the boundary line in a clumsy contest and... JUH giving Blakey an very sporting pat on the bum at the 3/4 time siren.

Best thing about it is that the boys will take lessons from it, and grow even more, without incurring a loss.

I thought it was a really good result given the circumstances. We know that at this elite level that any drop-off in focus and intensity is often costly, see Tiges and WC games earlier in the year.
Not hard to imagine our boys, having gone 9-1 and two games clear, with other leading contenders stumbling, and with the promise of a five day weekend looming, might have been a little distracted. Add the short turnaround into a 'midweek" game and a disappointing, largely boorish crowd (not our people), and I'd suggest, we were ripe for the picking.
Conversely, the Dogs, after copping flack in the media early in the season, were chockfull of confidence and looking to add an exclamation mark to their statement (in their mind at least) win against the Giants in Sydney last week.
Channel 7's pre-game interviews with Bont, exuding concentration and a steely determination, and Chad, relaxed and smiling and very much like a man going through the motions and winding down the clock to some much sought after R&R, was enough to spike my nerves and start implementing the anxiety-avoidance strategies... out the back with the radio and AFL stats site lol
Of course there was also some pretty ordinary umpiring and while the Dogs might be entitled to the odd grievance, the double-standards around HTB and selective enforcement of push-outs and high contact, ensured the Dogs had every chance to score the upset.
What was so pleasing was that at no time did our boys ever seem like they were losing the battle. No panicked decision-making, no poor execution and a total adherence to keeping the game on our terms and forcing the Dogs to come up with something out of the ordinary. We were a little fortunate with their injuries but thought JJ had well and truly put the clamps on Richards in the second before he went down.
Couple of nice moments that remind that it is just a game... Meli showing concern for Naughton, I think Macrae? showing concern for Errol after both crashed over the boundary line in a clumsy contest and... JUH giving Blakey an very sporting pat on the bum at the 3/4 time siren.

Best thing about it is that the boys will take lessons from it, and grow even more, without incurring a loss.
Nice write-up.

There’s a definite feeling in the air!

Good write up Nool , question though , why do we call it a contest and not a match anymore ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back