So who loses their job ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Captaincy might be as Benaud says but I'm tipping Mark Taylor or Rick Ponting win that series.

Taylor, Border, Waugh and Warne would have absolutely s**t the last two tests in and that is on the same bull s**t pitches and overrated bowling attack. Ponting I'm not so sure. He could struggle when things started to drift away.

Taylor, Border, Waugh and Warne would have absolutely sh*t the last two tests in and that is on the same bull sh*t pitches and overrated bowling attack. Ponting I'm not so sure. He could struggle when things started to drift away.

based on what? Waugh only had one tactic. There was no nous to his captaincy. Just full steam ahead with one of the best 11s ever assembled. He would have had less ideas than Paine. He may have attacked more field wise, that would be the only discernible difference. Warne was tactically quite astute but as much as a bowler as anything. he would have been his own best asset. Border wasn't a good tactician. he wasn't bad either, but his captaincy was based around leading by example and imbuing his teams with toughness. Taylor I suspect would have found a way to get more out of his bowlers.

As expected, this thread seems to have been a lightening rod for moronic opinions.

As most of the astute posters have already pointed out, nothing will really change without a fundamental restructuring of how the various forms of the game are promoted at every level of domestic cricket. Until then we'll be consigned to hoping for a collection of generational talents to all appear at the same time. To be honest, I don't think CA have the appetite to address mediocre test performance - maximising profits from the BBL seems to be the primary concern. Looking forward to a 6 month domestic 20/20 season with each side playing 200 matches by 2030.

In terms of the team - Green and Pucovski kicking on would help solidify the top 6 a touch, just leaving 5 as the only position truly up for grabs. Wouldn't mind seeing the back of Warner either but realistically he sticks around for SA/the Ashes. Starc needs to be used more selectively and not at all when he's running cold. Must be a frustrating experience to be Michael Neser atm. Why do we rotate on tour and not during the home summer?

There's the bigger issue of a seemingly significant lack of tactical nous or leadership across the board. Up until these last few tests Paine has carried himself admirably but now would seem like a good point to launch a new era. The obvious problem with that being there aren't any decent captaincy options aside from Cummins.

Been a big supporter of Langer and I think whatever technical/tactical knowledge he possesses gets lost amongst the more prominent mindfulness/emotion-driven aspects of his management style. In saying that, I do wonder what a Ponting or Gillespie would bring to the table at this point. If they'd even want the job. Wouldn't mind a change of bowling coach either given the only plan B seems to be a short-pitched barrage.

Let's be real, it all went to sh*t when they dropped the Marsh boys.

Excellent post except dropping the Marsh boys,Shaun perhaps but his brother no,to many injuries for starters.

based on what? Waugh only had one tactic. There was no nous to his captaincy. Just full steam ahead with one of the best 11s ever assembled. He would have had less ideas than Paine. He may have attacked more field wise, that would be the only discernible difference. Warne was tactically quite astute but as much as a bowler as anything. he would have been his own best asset. Border wasn't a good tactician. he wasn't bad either, but his captaincy was based around leading by example and imbuing his teams with toughness. Taylor I suspect would have found a way to get more out of his bowlers.

Waugh was overrated as a captain but I'd back him to have convinced his bowlers to bowl less short rubbish and set less uninspiring bull s**t fields. You didn't need to necessarily be a 'good' tactician to get better results out of the last two tests. Just having the balls to tell bowlers who should know and be better to pull their heads out of their back sides and the respect from them to listen would have been enough and Waugh and Border were more than up to that. And yes despite being a media idiot I'd back Warne to have got us home in those tests also and that's without bowling himself.

Excellent post except dropping the Marsh boys,Shaun perhaps but his brother no,to many injuries for starters.

Don’t see the point in playing either now. Shaun maybe but if we didn’t this series what’s the point?

I would think Green is in front of M.Marsh now and Green is our future.

100% agree. Forget his bowling he's there as a bat, has a number of very good scores this series against the best side in the world.

In tests yes but I am adamant Mitch over stoinis could have won us the world cup

100% have thought for a long time in limited overs Marsh is the best fit in that role.

Just listened to Brendan Julian on Fox sports. He wants to replace Paine with Jack Edwards and Wade with Moses Henriques.

That would mean the make up of the side would be one South African (ML), one Victorian (WP), one West Australian (CG) with the remaining 8 players coming from NSW.

BJ, we know you were born in New Zealand, played cricket for West Australia and now reside in NSW, but having 8 of them play for Australia in a single test match is a bridge to far.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just listened to Bernard Julian on Fox sports. He wants to replace Paine with Jack Edwards and Wade with Moses Henriques.

That would mean the make up of the side would be one South African (ML), one Victorian (WP), one West Australian (CG) withe the remaining 8 players coming from NSW.

BJ, we know you were born in New Zealand, played cricket for West Australia and now reside in NSW, but having 8 of them play for Australia in a single test match is a bridge to far.
Is that Brendon's lesser known brother?

Just listened to Bernard Julian on Fox sports. He wants to replace Paine with Jack Edwards and Wade with Moses Henriques.

That would mean the make up of the side would be one South African (ML), one Victorian (WP), one West Australian (CG) withe the remaining 8 players coming from NSW.

I am not a great fan of Henriques but seems to be on the border line of Test selection if you go by the squads they have selected.So who was going to be his captain,no way I would have Smith.

I am not a great fan of Henriques but seems to be on the border line of Test selection if you go by the squads they have selected.So who was going to be his captain,no way I would have Smith.

Doubt Smith even wants it.

I don't particularly care who we replace of the blokes who front the camera, although some should certainly get the flick. What I think should happen is that we go and start to question the entirety of the next tier down, from the development staff of the Australian team and the development within each individual state.

We're not producing nearly enough top level batsman for test match cricket, we're not producing anywhere close to enough quality keepers, but - and this is most important - we need to radically rethink how a cricket team is lead, from coach and captain down.

We're trying to play cricket the way we would if we were still Waugh/Ponting/early Clarke, when we had the players and capabilities to argue that we were the best in the world. We go the bludgeon - 'let's just go out and bowl jaffas!' ahead of 'okay, we're going to have specific plans after watching these players, and if those fail we're going to have the right instincts as a leadership team to be able to create a decent strategy on the fly' - ahead of playing smart.

We are no longer the best team, or arguably the best team. No longer can we look down our nose at NZ, Sri Lanka, or Bangladesh; we're not that much chop. We will improve prior to the next Ashes - as in, we'd better ******* improve - but they're aimed straight at us now, and England aren't getting worse. We look as fragile as we ever have 8-9 months out.

What I truly do not want is for the other Australia to rear its head. I found it hard to support it at the time, and I won't support it the next. We don't have to play that way.
I was nodding in agreement until the last paragraph. When we have the cattle to do it, I want to see the "other Australia" in action.

We're a long way off now, much like Essendon....but, our rightful place is at the top of the tree.

I was nodding in agreement until the last paragraph. When we have the cattle to do it, I want to see the "other Australia" in action.

We're a long way off now, much like Essendon....but, our rightful place is at the top of the tree.
People confuse being a prick with being good at the sport. I'd rather us be good than a prick.

It ain't a coincidence that NZ started to flourish when McCullum and Williamson stopped trying to play like Australia and started to play like themselves. Ditto India; while they might enjoy a bite back or three, they generally prefer their cricket to do the talking.

I want this to be about our bite, not our bark.

People confuse being a prick with being good at the sport. I'd rather us be good than a prick.

It ain't a coincidence that NZ started to flourish when McCullum and Williamson stopped trying to play like Australia and started to play like themselves. Ditto India; while they might enjoy a bite back or three, they generally prefer their cricket to do the talking.

I want this to be about our bite, not our bark.
The bark that comes from arrogance can be part of the bite. How many wickets did Warne get through tactical use of psychological warfare? Intimidation through sledging is part of the game if things aren't taken too far.

Our players should find what works best for them and do it. If the newer generation aren't inclined to play mind games and sledge, that will be part of the makeup of the team.

I personally don't see much to be gained from trying to be nice guys like NZ either.

The bark that comes from arrogance can be part of the bite. How many wickets did Warne get through tactical use of psychological warfare? Intimidation through sledging is part of the game if things aren't taken too far.
Warne's trick was being the best at reading a bat of anyone who's ever lived. He, of all the great sledgers, didn't need to use his mouth. He'd already gotten in their heads.

I don't buy the argument his tactical sledging bought him wickets he couldn't have gotten anyway. Warne should be better known for his use of the strategic pause in the middle of an over or over the course of a few balls than he was his mouth.
Our players should find what works best for them and do it. If the newer generation aren't inclined to play mind games and sledge, that will be part of the makeup of the team.

I personally don't see much to be gained from trying to be nice guys like NZ either.
The first sentence I unequivocally agree with, and I don't want us to be NZ either. What I want, though, is for us to live to the mantra we've commonly espoused: tough, but fair. That's all.

I'd also like us to play a bit smarter, too. But I'll take us playing well but dumb if I have to.

Warne's trick was being the best at reading a bat of anyone who's ever lived. He, of all the great sledgers, didn't need to use his mouth. He'd already gotten in their heads.

I don't buy the argument his tactical sledging bought him wickets he couldn't have gotten anyway. Warne should be better known for his use of the strategic pause in the middle of an over or over the course of a few balls than he was his mouth.

The first sentence I unequivocally agree with, and I don't want us to be NZ either. What I want, though, is for us to live to the mantra we've commonly espoused: tough, but fair. That's all.

I'd also like us to play a bit smarter, too. But I'll take us playing well but dumb if I have to.
I think you're underestimating the psychological impact of words in sport.

When the barmy army sang "He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right — Mitchell Johnson, his bowling is shite," Johnson has been quoted as saying that he started to believe them.

I think you're underestimating the psychological aspect of words in sport.

When the barmy army sang "He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right — Mitchell Johnson, his bowling is sh*te," Johnson has been quoted as saying that he started to believe them.
Believe me, I'm not saying don't sledge. I'm a huge sledger myself.

What I'm saying is that relentless repetition of 'you're s**t!' is both tiresome and ineffective at best, and acts as direct motivation at worst. A good sledge is a) funny, because the funny ones get stuck in your head, and b) break through your focus, because that is the point of going the sledge.

The best sledge I ever delivered was to tell someone they had an awesome name. Knicked off first ball after the variation of my first sledge did the rounds of the infield. Went from focused to a bit chuffed, completely distracted by the fact that he'd heard we'd gone the chirp a bit, and that wasn't what he got.

You do not have to be a prick to use words as a weapon.

Just listened to Brendan Julian on Fox sports. He wants to replace Paine with Jack Edwards and Wade with Moses Henriques.

That would mean the make up of the side would be one South African (ML), one Victorian (WP), one West Australian (CG) with the remaining 8 players coming from NSW.

Is all-rounder Jack Edwards coming in to wicket keep for the first time in his career or also captain the side as well?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back