Sports Sporting moments you wish you were at

Remove this Banner Ad

In all seriousness, a few of mine:

Cathy Freeman at Sydney
Manchester City winning the title when all seemed lost this year
Aloisi's winning penalty
The Malace at the Palace (NBA fans will know what I'm on about)

Cathy Freeman is the one that stands out. Lighting the flame and the pressure of the situation, it was an epic performance.

Would have loved to have been at the WACA for Gilly's quick fire hundred

Was amazing. F***ing hot day but waiting for it.

Hind sight wish list

2005 AFL GF
Federer v Nadal Wimbledon Final 2009 (I think it was then??)
Australia v Uruguay World Cup qualifier
Man City's last game of the 2012 Premier League season (don't support them, but I HATE Man U)
Aus v South Africa World Cup Semi Final where Hershelle dropped the world cup
Aus v Japan opening game of World Cup Aus came back from 1-0 down in the 80th and won 3-1

It would have been great to have been at the 1966 Grand Final to see St Kilda win their only flag by a point, the tension and excitement must have been incredible in that last quarter similar to the last quarter of the drawn GF in 2010.

Being at the Chelsea v Barcelona semi final and Chelsea v Bayern Munich final of the Champions League this year would have awesome too as a Chelsea supporter, both exciting wins against the odds. I also would have loved to have been at the tests during the 2005 Ashes series which is the best test series I've seen and being in France to see Cadel Evans win the Tour de France last year would have been pretty good too.

Two Biased ones:

I was actually at that game but have rather less fond memories of it than Freo supporters, not just because we lost a close game but because of the diabolical umpiring in that game. That was the infamous 'Whispers in the Sky' game where one of the umpires was overheard on the plane home saying "now we know what it's like to have a win". Freo got about 5 or 6 goals from ridiculous soft free kicks in front of goal to help them get back in the game, it shouldn't have even been close yet Freo supporters still talk about it like it was their best win ever.:oops:

From all the sporting events I've been to this takes the cake. People were screaming/cheering/crying everywhere at the G that day. Amazing finish, amazing atmosphere.

I'm not even a big athletics fan but would have also loved to have seen Usain Bolt's double at the Beijing Olympics.

2005 Ashes series in England (any of the games)
1995 ANZAC Day draw
2005 WCQ v Uruguay & 2006 World Cup
Any of Michael Jordans great games and/or buzzer beaters

In all seriousness, a few of mine:

Cathy Freeman at Sydney
Manchester City winning the title when all seemed lost this year
Aloisi's winning penalty
The Malace at the Palace (NBA fans will know what I'm on about)

You'd want to be at the malace at the palace? Nothing like a riot hey.

Day 5 of the 3rd Test in Barbados in 1999. WI were 3/85 overnight chasing an unlikely 308 to win against a bowling attack that included McGrath, Gillespie and MacGill at the height of their powers.

I still rate Lara's 153* to win the game by a wicket as one of the most incredible innings ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day 5 of the 3rd Test in Barbados in 1999. WI were 3/85 overnight chasing an unlikely 308 to win against a bowling attack that included McGrath, Gillespie and MacGill at the height of their powers.

I still rate Lara's 153* to win the game by a wicket as one of the most incredible innings ever.

Lara's 277 against Australia at the SCG in the 1992/93 season was an incredible innings to watch too, it was one of his first test innings and when everyone realised he was going to be something special. That game ended up being a washout but that innings still made it memorable.

I would like to have been at the WC qualifier in 1997 at the MCG, waiting down by the Iranian goal with a shotgun ...

I would have liked to have been at the MCG a couple of months earlier waiting down by the Adelaide goals with a shotgun, was probably the only way we could have stopped Darren Jarman running amok in the last quarter of the Grand Final.

west coast gf wins

hawthorn vs geelong gf 08

aloisi and the socceroos in 05-06

west coast against geelong and carlton in 06.

gilchrists blazing century

waughs century at the mcg

warnes 700th wicket

cricket world cup wins by australia

rugby world cup 1999 final

cathy freemans 400m run

france vs italy world cup 06

many more.

west coast gf wins

hawthorn vs geelong gf 08

aloisi and the socceroos in 05-06

west coast against geelong and carlton in 06.

gilchrists blazing century

waughs century at the mcg

warnes 700th wicket

cricket world cup wins by australia

rugby world cup 1999 final

cathy freemans 400m run

france vs italy world cup 06

many more.

I was at the 1999 rugby world cup semi final between Australia and South Africa that went into extra time, it was actually a better game than the final. Unfortunately I couldn't get tickets for the final unless I was prepared to fork out a fortune for scalpers tickets plus pay for travel and accomodation in Cardiff. Ended up just watching the final in a pub in London.

Semi-Finals, World Cup 1999, Australia v South Africa. Larkham scores the dodgiest drop-goal of all time from almost 50 metres out in extra time to put the Wallabies in the final.

Wish I'd have been at the game where John Aloisi put us into the World Cup.

Just one big party atmosphere.
I was there, and it was an amazing night. Total strangers hugging each other, cheering, crying. I'd been at the matches in '97 and '02 as well, so it was a massive thing. We ended up kicking on with a bunch of supporters and partying all night... I caught a train straight to work afterwards, still drunk. Ended up having to wear the same clothes I'd changed out of before leaving the office to go to the game the previous afternoon.

Just to experience it, yes. It may have been a little scary though. Back when Artest was still at the Pacers and Reggie Miller was droppin treys!

I'd never go anywhere near that match if I was able to go to it.

These are the Indiana matches I'd rather experience:

Federer v Nadal Wimbledon Final 2009 (I think it was then??)
It was 08 Wimbo when they played that epic final, as well as the 09 Oz Open final.

The 03 Davis cup (semi) final would have been awesome to be at, when Lleyton came back from 2 sets to love down against Federer to win the match and put us into the final against Spain which we ultimately won. I'd never seen a tennis crowd go so nuts as they did at end of that Hewitt-Federer epic. I don't think Hewitt has beaten him since in 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back