Sports Sporting moments you wish you were at

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember Channel 10 showing this live......lost my s**t

Haha yep, I remember this from the days of Bill Woods, Steve Carfino and NBAAAA Action! Great call.

The sequence from about 4.00 still gives me goosebumps- huge dunk from jordan gets the crowd pumped, drexler goes down the other end, tries a three and airballs it, making the crowd even more excited, and then Jordan wanders down and casually nails his sixth three of the half from a shot he had no right to take. Basically chicago were going to win the championship the moment that ball went in, it left portland utterly and irrevocably mentally shattered - before halftime in game one of a seven game series.

2012 GF.
Locketts 16.0 against Fitzroy.
2005 Champions League Final.
2006 QF against Eagles in Perth.

The 4 main ones i guess.

Could probably through in Liverpool 4-0 against Real Madrid. Liverpool 3-1 vs Olympiakos.

This is the greatest sporting " moment " i've seen in my 36 years on this rock.

Completely agree with you there, most amazing thing I've seen and will never be beaten for me. When I woke up that morning after watching it I had to check online just to make sure I didn't dream it..

Love this commentary of it, always my favourite!

The Thriller In Manilla and Rumble In The Jungle.
Any of Australia's 1 or 2 point wins over the Silver Ferns in World Championships and Commonwealth Games in netball.
Usain Bolt's 100m sprint final at the Bejing Olympics
2007 GF
Carl Lewis winning his 4th straight long jump at Atlanta.
Debbie Flintoff-King winning the 400m hurdles at Seoul.
Popular Alm winning the Interdominion (if he'd actually won one of them)
Secretariat winning the triple crown.
Kingston Town's 3rd Cox Plate.
Gilchrist's test double ton in South Africa. I watched every ball of it but would have loved to been there.
Watching Graeme Pollock batting in test cricket. Saw some of him against the Aussie rebels in the 80's. Pollock was in his 40s and was slaying them.
Bathurst for any of Brockie's wins.

I'm sure there's plenty more I'll think of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1999 Ess v Carlton Prelim - eventhough I was there would love to go back there and experience it again, I have been to hundred of games and this was the best win I have seen.

1970 Grand Final

ANZAC day 2009 - only time I have ever cheered and barracked for essendon.

Soccer WC qualifier, WC round 1 vs Japan - not a huge soccer fan, only watch when socceroos play WC games, but forgot all about AFL (for a while) after these games.

2000 WWF Royal Rumble (does this count as a sporting event?)- Tazz's debut, Dudleys v hardys in a tag table match, Cactus Jack v HHH in a brutal street fight, Rock win the Royal rumble.

Kingston Town's third cox plate, still watch replay on youtube and get chills, one of the great race calls.

Probably more but cant think of them

Would loved to have been at this moment:

Thought the game was gone only for trusty Baines to step up. I myself went mental.

Another one for the final day of the EPL. Have never lost my s**t so much while watching the wogball and I dont think I ever will again. My favourite video of it is this one;

I'm going to get greedy and name 18. In no particular order....

(1) 2002 Australian F1GP, started with Ralf Schumacher vaulting Rubens Barrichello at turn 1, ended with Mika Salo spinning to ensure Mark Webber got points in his first F1 Race.

(2) 1998 NRL Preliminary Final, Canterbury vs Parramatta. Parra were ahead 18-2 with 10 minutes to go, Canterbury (who had survived sudden death games at Kogarah against St.George, North Sydney Oval against Norths and an extra time semi the week before against Newcastle), scored 3 tries in the last 10 with the last being converted from the sideline to force extra time. After a last ditch drop goal attempt from near half way after the final siren sounded fell a metre short (courtesy of one of the biggest brain farts of all time in a final)....Doggies dominate extra time and go to the GF (where they get spanked in the 2nd half by the Broncos).

The brain fart can be seen here.....

(3) Wimbledon Men's Final 2001, Ivanisevic vs Rafter. 15 of the 17 members of the Australian Ashes squad were there in their baggy greens (Brett Lee and Colin Miller were the 2 that didn't go)

(4) 1999 Ryder Cup at Brookline, the one where Justin Leonard caps a massive American revival and celebrates like a loony when his opponent could have still halved the match with his putt.

(5) 2002/2003 Ashes Series, 5th test Day 2. Stephen Roger Waugh's finest hour.....and we still lost the game.

(6a) 2003 Cricket World Cup, Zimbabwe vs Namibia. Not much of a game, but this was the game where Andy Flower and Henry Olonga wore black armbands to signify the death of democracy. Would have loved to see/hear the reaction from the locals

(6b) 2003 Cricket World Cup, South Africa vs Sri Lanka @ Durban, just to see the look on Shaun Pollock's face when he stuffed up the Duckworth/Lewis

(7a, b and c) All games of the 1991 NRL State of Origin Series. All close, all tense, so much drama, the exit of the king, the rain and fights in Sydney......

(8) 1995 NRL State of Origin Game 3, the final chapter of the most unlikely of unlikely. Queensland were so decimated their half back was from PNG, the coach was better known as a TV commentator than a Qld Veteran, a couple of their players were in Reserve Grade, a bloke on the bench was mistaken for an autograph hunter in the lift at the team hotel and was still in high school, and they were playing an international class New South Wales team. Final result....Qld 3-0!

(9) 2004 Athens Olympics Men's Hockey final. If you remember the TV commentary they had a sheila doing special comments going metal after the winning goal.

(10) NFL 1997 Week 17, New York Jets @ Detroit Lions. Apparently the crowd were told to shut up by the referee otherwise they would cost the Lions a timeout or a penalty.

(11) 1994 Bledisloe Cup match @ SFS. The first night test match in Rugby Union history, Wallabies score inside first minute (Regather kickoff, recycle possession, David Knox puts up massive kick which one of our players regathers to score), then Jeff Wilson gets denied in the corner by George Gregan....NZ have never forgiven George from that moment.

(12) 2006 World Cup, Australia vs Serbia....just to laugh at Graham Poll for giving out 3 yellow cards to some poor Serbian Git. Oh yeah, and the fact that the draw was good enough to get us through.

(13) Any year in the Premier League era where Southampton escaped relegation on the final day of the season.

(14) 1992 Cox Plate, arguably the most dramatic race seen involving the best field I've known in Australia

(15) Super Bowl XXXII, Denver vs Green Bay. Nobody really gave Denver much hope....

(16) 2004 Tour de France, Stage 16, the first and last time that we'll ever see an individual time trial up the famed l'Alpe d'Huez, never mind the fact that half the field was on drugs just to be on the mountain for that day would have been insane. It won't happen again as they can't manage 750K spread over 16km!

(17) 1991 NSL Grand Final, Melbourne Knights (Croatia) vs South Melbourne. South fans were headed for the exits before they equalised late in the game, then recovered from being in a massive hole in the shootout.

(18) 2001 2nd Test Match, India vs Australia. Would have loved to have gone to all days, but in particular Day 4 when Laxman and Dravid batted all day.

The 2002 World Cup third place play-off between South Korea and Turkey, with both teams walking off side by side.

Makybe Diva's third successive Melbourne Cup in 2005.

The 1989 FA Cup final between Liverpool and Everton, with the memory of the Hillsborough Disaster still lingering in peoples' minds.

Springboks v. All Blacks World Cup final in 1995 at Ellis Park. To see Madiba in a Springboks shirt, that hated symbol of Apartheid oppression present the Webb Ellis trophy to Francois Pineaar would have been awe inspiring. I remember watching it on television through tears and it still send shivers up my spine just thinking about it.
So much more than just a game of rugby.

This is the greatest sporting " moment " i've seen in my 36 years on this rock.

As well as the battle for the trophy there was also a fight to stay out of relegation for QPR which only added to the greatness of that day. Hearing Bolton had not won was the best moment for me personally and was a day to remember. If only we could win a game this year. Come on you R's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back