Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be deflating knowing the only game you've won the past year cost you Harley Reid
Exactly.
How much hope would North fans have right now if they had Reid in their side?

Better still, how much better would North be to watch if they weren’t such a shit show on and off the field in 2022 to be able to properly manage JHF.
It all comes down to having the right plan off the field, to allow the team to execute on field.

Imagine JHF, Reid, LDU as their starting midfield. Then Wardlaw, McKercher, Simpkin, Sheezel and Powell as second stringers. Geez.

St Kilda and North shouldn’t be whinging about their inability to attract FA talent to their clubs. They need to find a way to make it an appealing place for future employees to work there.

Fix that rather than whinge and moan about it not being fair. Both these clubs have had significant leg ups on father sons and nga compared to other Melbourne clubs too.

They need to take responsibility for their own plight rather than whinge and be seen as handout clubs.

I think that’s the case in point though. The equalisation measures don’t work and there’s unfair competitive advantages for certain teams, there’s not a balance. You’re more likely to stay down the bottom or mid table if you can’t attract talent.

Saints haven’t had a handout from AFL since early 2000s, so I would argue they are taking responsibility, just don’t have the levers to pull which other clubs do, and that’s a bigger conversation.

I really don’t know how you can say Saints have had a bigger leg up from father sons or NGA. That beggars belief.

Zac Williams chose Carlton over a monster offer from North.

Cerra chose Carlton over St Kilda

Jack Martin. McGovern. Hewitt

All were sought after players.
Logue chose North over Richmond.
Himmelberg decided to stay instead of taking similar offers from Collingwood and Richmond.
Crouch chose St Kilda over Geelong.
Liam Henry went to the Saints over the Hawks.
Brad Hill chose the Saints over all other Melbourne clubs.

Lots of examples the other way too.

Exactly.
How much hope would North fans have right now if they had Reid in their side?

Better still, how much better would North be to watch if they weren’t such a shit show on and off the field in 2022 to be able to properly manage JHF.
It all comes down to having the right plan off the field, to allow the team to execute on field.

Imagine JHF, Reid, LDU as their starting midfield. Then Wardlaw, McKercher, Simpkin, Sheezel and Powell as second stringers. Geez.
They don't get a couple of those second stringers without losing JHF, but your point still remains. JHF and Reid together would comfortably track towards being the best 1-2 in the competition and by some margin.

I think that’s the case in point though. The equalisation measures don’t work and there’s unfair competitive advantages for certain teams, there’s not a balance. You’re more likely to stay down the bottom or mid table if you can’t attract talent.

Saints haven’t had a handout from AFL since early 2000s, so I would argue they are taking responsibility, just don’t have the levers to pull which other clubs do, and that’s a bigger conversation.

I really don’t know how you can say Saints have had a bigger leg up from father sons or NGA. That beggars belief.
The Saints haven’t received more than the minimum yearly AFL funding since the early 2000s? I find that hard to believe. In fact North and St Kilda are two of the biggest financial drainers of the Melbourne clubs during this time.

They don't get a couple of those second stringers without losing JHF, but your point still remains. JHF and Reid together would comfortably track towards being the best 1-2 in the competition and by some margin.
Yep apologies. Wardlaw comes off that list.
It’s still a frighteningly potent midfield.
If they had the competence to keep it together the ‘media experts’ would be questioning whether North have received too much help rather than giving them more handouts. One wonders if by providing a constant crutch you only encourage a club to continue to be reliant on that support.

Would be amazing, but JHF would have had to be shocking last season to have them finish below West Coast and get pick 1.

The Saints haven’t received more than the minimum yearly AFL funding since the early 2000s? I find that hard to believe. In fact North and St Kilda are two of the biggest financial drainers of the Melbourne clubs during this time.

Interesting that Saints have also gone to the AFL recently, in addition to previous requests, requesting an end to the subsidised Marvel arrangement just for 2-4 games at the MCG each year. Think you need to dig a bit deeper here mate and understand why certain clubs are subsidised by the AFL to begin with.

St Kilda and North shouldn’t be whinging about their inability to attract FA talent to their clubs. They need to find a way to make it an appealing place for future employees to work there.

Fix that rather than whinge and moan about it not being fair. Both these clubs have had significant leg ups on father sons and nga compared to other Melbourne clubs too.

They need to take responsibility for their own plight rather than whinge and be seen as handout clubs.
which father sons have saints and north had a "leg up" with?

Would be amazing, but JHF would have had to be shocking last season to have them finish below West Coast and get pick 1.
Good point. I also view it as being a bit academic as I firmly suspect Jason was always intending to find his way to Port, a bit like Buckley was always going to Collingwood no matter what Brisbane offered or accomplished. Naturally there wasn't the same suspect backroom deals done at the start of Jason's stint at North like there was with Buckley at Brisbane, but Jason is now where his heart always laid.

Even if the Crows managed to land the deal with North for pick 1, I think Jason would by now be a Port player regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah we should be so grateful we were allowed priority access to Bailey Rice and David Sierakowski.

St Kilda are in huge problems. When you have only one player on your injury list it means you can have your best team on the park. The fact that they have been so bad is a concern. Will be interesting to see the response this week when they play a wishy washy eagles.

No, St Kilda had exclusive access. No other club could get near them. They have done well with NGA.

Wrong. It had to be outside the top 40 to be able to match. Both were taken outside 40. If your club and any other rated them, they were open to be picked inside the top 40. Unfortunately for your club, they clearly weren’t rated highly enough.

No, St Kilda had exclusive access. No other club could get near them. They have done well with NGA.
Any team could've picked them in the top 20. They were drafted in the '21 draft, a year after the AFL changed the rules after what happened with Ugle-Hagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back