FTA-TV Star Trek: The Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

TNG is my favourite, and I think closest to the utopian vision of Gene Roddenberry. It's only let down by some poor characters or actors, such as Troi and Crusher and LaForge, who were often fairly wooden when they had to carry an episode.
I recently watched the episode where he fell in love with the hologram of the woman who designed the ships engines. Then she comes on board and he's just non stop hitting on her despite her clear disinterest plus the fact she's married. She finds out about the hologram version and is freaked out.

Long story short she apologises to him at the end and all is ok. Doubt that would fly today. Oh yeah and his acting was terrible.

I've never really watched any Trek before but am about halfway through S4 of this. The first couple of seasons had their moments but some was a slog to get through but since the end of season 3 I think it's been great. Most episodes are done really well and the stories are well told. Looking forward to getting into DS9 after this.

On the urge of the missus, knocked out the entire series over the last couple of months and glad I did. Hard to split as my all time fav along with Stargate SG1/Atlantis.

First season and half pretty dated but from then until season 7 was pure binge worthy top shelf sci fi. Season 7 though fell off a cliff before a really good finale.

Movies on the other hand oof. First Contact was enjoyable, but Generations watching now as an adult is unfortunately a bit of a mess. Insurrection and Nemesis should never have been made.

Was going back to TOS but The Cage/actual pilot were too cringe, so might leave them for later. Starting DS9 now and then Voyager before Picard S1/2.

On the urge of the missus, knocked out the entire series over the last couple of months and glad I did. Hard to split as my all time fav along with Stargate SG1/Atlantis.

First season and half pretty dated but from then until season 7 was pure binge worthy top shelf sci fi. Season 7 though fell off a cliff before a really good finale.

Movies on the other hand oof. First Contact was enjoyable, but Generations watching now as an adult is unfortunately a bit of a mess. Insurrection and Nemesis should never have been made.

Was going back to TOS but The Cage/actual pilot were too cringe, so might leave them for later. Starting DS9 now and then Voyager before Picard S1/2.

Give Deep Space Nine a go.

The first couple of seasons are "alien of the week" stuff, and are nothing to write home about. The show really kicks off in Season 3, when the Dominion War arc begins to take shape. From that point on, it's Trek at it's very finest.

The one I could never get into was Voyager. I just found it to be too politically correct, and almost none of the characters were likeable. I loved the holographic doctor, and Belana Tores for other reasons... But the rest of them were just horrible.

I think it was about the 6th or 7th episode of S1, where the episode opens and everyone is unconscious - except for the doctor. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was praying that they were all dead, and the entire cast (other than the doctor) would be replaced by likeable/relatable actors/characters.

** I quit long before 7 of 9 was added to the cast.

It definitely kicks off season 3, but season 2 had a three-parter to begin with, a double episode about the Maquis and ending with the introduction of Jem Hadar, so still plenty to like there. Season 1 also had one of its best episodes ever in Duet.

I never really got into Voyager either (or Enterprise). Didn't actively hate them, just not interested enough to stick with them. The fact Voyager had to introduce the Borg screamed to me that it couldn't stand on its own ideas.

It definitely kicks off season 3, but season 2 had a three-parter to begin with, a double episode about the Maquis and ending with the introduction of Jem Hadar, so still plenty to like there. Season 1 also had one of its best episodes ever in Duet.

I never really got into Voyager either (or Enterprise). Didn't actively hate them, just not interested enough to stick with them. The fact Voyager had to introduce the Borg screamed to me that it couldn't stand on its own ideas.
Seasons 1-2 of Enterprise were so-so. I really enjoyed S3, which was a season long arc with the Xindi. Then they followed it up with the dreck that was S4... the result of a show wrapping up, only to get a surprise renewal, after all the good ideas have already been used.

DS9 season 2 to 6 was my favourite. I still think it was a bit all over the shop in season 7, despite the excellent action/war at times the religious stuff with the prophets etc was a bit over the top in my opinion.

Voyager certainly has its highlights, overall though it didn’t hit the same heights and a big part of that I feel was too many characters. Usually there’s a core of say 7-8 “main” characters. At times the number blew out a bit with Voyager, some of them just seemed to fade into the background.

Just back on DS9, The Visitor I would say remains one of my favourites from across the entire franchise. Always enjoyed Tony Todd as Kurn, he really did a brilliant job in this episode as adult Jake.

I don't recall season 7 in its entirety, but I rewatched the final six to eight episodes a couple years back, which is essentially one long run to the end, and it was glorious. It closed the story and the characters out beautifully.

And yes, The Visitor and Duet are possible two of my favourite episodes of any Trek.

Give Deep Space Nine a go.

Yep started last night.

Patrick Stewart on another level but Sisko starting to grow on me.

Video quality wise it's a shame that DS9 hasn't gotten the same touch up that Next Gen got on Paramount+.

Still filthy how the Next Gen movies finished up.

The first couple of seasons are "alien of the week" stuff, and are nothing to write home about. The show really kicks off in Season 3, when the Dominion War arc begins to take shape. From that point on, it's Trek at it's very finest.

The one I could never get into was Voyager. I just found it to be too politically correct, and almost none of the characters were likeable. I loved the holographic doctor, and Belana Tores for other reasons... But the rest of them were just horrible.

I think it was about the 6th or 7th episode of S1, where the episode opens and everyone is unconscious - except for the doctor. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was praying that they were all dead, and the entire cast (other than the doctor) would be replaced by likeable/relatable actors/characters.

** I quit long before 7 of 9 was added to the cast.
Interesting. I thought the cast was actually quite good with the exception of Harry and the horrific Neelix/Kes relationship.

It was just poorly written by a group of writers who ran out of sci-fi ideas by the end of Next Gen. Voyager was tailor made for long arcs and long term story telling, and they just refused to do it.

Tuvok was awesome but rarely got any screen time.

I can't remember a bad Belanna episode (in a show with many bad episodes).

Janeway was vicious. In a recent episode I watched she told a new born baby that she was going to use kill its entire family ("I hope they don't force me to do it"). It was awesome.

Paris was good. Neelix was good when kept away from Kes.

The doctor was great early. They stuffed up his story towards the end though.

Chakotay sucked and so did Harry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voyager is probably the most realistic star trek show.

It's the first trek with a female captain and they get so lost in the first episode it takes them seven years to get home.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'm rewatching Voyager at the moment, enjoyed it the first time around (about 5-6 years ago) and enjoying it just as much now. Don't understand the hate it gets. I can understand when it first came out people may have been fatigued with ST, but I still enjoy it. Just watched the episode where Paris is accused of murder because the victim's last moments can be replayed in Paris' mind and they have to solve it, and it's as fun and intriguing as any other 'good' ST ep.

I'm rewatching Voyager at the moment, enjoyed it the first time around (about 5-6 years ago) and enjoying it just as much now. Don't understand the hate it gets. I can understand when it first came out people may have been fatigued with ST, but I still enjoy it. Just watched the episode where Paris is accused of murder because the victim's last moments can be replayed in Paris' mind and they have to solve it, and it's as fun and intriguing as any other 'good' ST ep.
You gotta laugh at an alien from the other side of the galaxy who has a pet dog.

Star Trek 🤣

DS9 season 2 to 6 was my favourite. I still think it was a bit all over the shop in season 7, despite the excellent action/war at times the religious stuff with the prophets etc was a bit over the top in my opinion.

Voyager certainly has its highlights, overall though it didn’t hit the same heights and a big part of that I feel was too many characters. Usually there’s a core of say 7-8 “main” characters. At times the number blew out a bit with Voyager, some of them just seemed to fade into the background.

Just back on DS9, The Visitor I would say remains one of my favourites from across the entire franchise. Always enjoyed Tony Todd as Kurn, he really did a brilliant job in this episode as adult Jake.
The Visitor was something else. My other all time favourite was In The Pale Moonlight, which went in directions that I don't recall Star Trek ever going before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back