FB: Grimes, Tarrant, Vlastuin
HB: Broad, Balta, D.Rioli
C: Pickett, Prestia, Short
HF: Bolton Riewoldt, Martin
FF: Cumberland, Lynch, M.Rioli
F: Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper

Int: Baker, Clarke, Miller, Sonsie, Cotchin

EMG: Ross, Ralphsmith, McIntosh, Banks, Gibcus, Ryan

My patience with McIntosh has run out. He might run all day and has good height for spoiling and taking marks and is actually a pretty good set shot at goal. But his blunders have done my head in. He butchers the ball, makes dumb turnovers and is definitely very low footy IQ. Our backline is stacked and Baker will be in there also so Short needs a position. Ross, Sonsie are better mid options than Short. People forget Short won a BnF in a premiership year. He knows how to find the ball, can run and carry, bomb the ball long and how many times did he used to recieve handballs from players who had marked 55m out and launch goals off 2 steps. Fact of the matter is at his peak Short has proven he can be in our top few players. At his peak McIntosh is holding onto his spot but still in our bottom 6 players. I watched Cotchin closely on Friday both at the ground and on replay. He kicked a nice goal and dished off another but that was it. He dropped an absolute sitter, another time directly in front of me Dusty kicked a beautiful pass to him, and he didn't even put his arms up let alone attempt to jump (the ball was only 0.5m over his massive bouffant hair). There's no way Cumberland and Judson aren't miles ahead of Cotchin in the forwardline pecking order and MRJ's magnet gets superglued to the board from here on..

Don't know how much Baker's appendix will affect him, but as soon as he signed his contract last year his form declined the very next game. I'm hoping he's settled down back as you need scrappy mongrels. I think until Miller stinks it up he's backup ruck and utility as around the ground and when the ball hits the deck he's actually pretty good, unlike Soldo who's efforts were painful. Samson Ryan has gone past Soldo as he offers genuine forward craft. Some had Graham touted as our next captain, I have him barely top 30. Ross and Sonsie deserve gametime over him as their upside's massive. Who knows who's going to be the complete spuds down the bottom of the ladder. In those games (especially the interstate ones) I would rest all of Nank, Lynch, Riewoldt, Prestia, Grimes, Cotchin and give the kids a taste. I would also monitor Prestia and rest him every 5-6 games as we need him right for finals. If we're 10 goals up manage him and throw Ross or Sonsie in there.

I would've rested him against either Essendon or Hawks in last 2 rounds of the H&A. We played him 8 games straight. Apart from that freaky year 2019 where he played every single games, in his last 8 seasons he has proven that he cant string more than 6 or 7 games together before he breaks down. The messed up thing is he never breaks down in the 4th quarter, last year he broke down at least 4 times before half time and at least twice in the first quarter, his bodies only going to degenerate more. The chubby little meatball then comes back and plays blinders (he should promote Radox bath salts, sales would skyrocket). The most exciting thing is Aarts and Cantstandya are gone so the kids should feel confident that they'll be rewarded for good form in the magoos. I think whilst Grimes, Prestia, Broad, Tarrant can still produce we have 2 potentially 3 more years to win another flag or 2. 2026 we'll drop off as nearly all our top tier talent will be gone or old as fu%k!

Here's hoping if Cotchin doesn't produce they carry him to 300 and done. No repeats of Edwards last year who apart from 1 or 2 games was easily the worst player by a country mile. All those who are gonna bang on about invaluable leadership, that doesn't cut it if you're only getting a couple of quality touches and your direct opponent is leaving you in their wake whilst setting up endless forward forays like all the gun HBF's do.
Tad harsh on MacIntosh, reckon his disposal was pretty good last year, but much of what you say is true. Early in the season to be writing players off, (Cotch after on practice match, his first as a forward) but time will tell.

I just don't get all the talk from the club and supporters about the need to play Cotchin as a forward.

Did no one watch his season last year, he was our second best mid last year and is still in our best 4 or 5 mids quite easily with Taranto and Hopper there.
With Taranto and Hopper it doesnt mean he can't play mid and has to play more as a forward.
What it should mean is he plays his customary role rotating thru the midfield with more time on the bench resting his aging legs.The line game management comes to mind.

Im not sure what planet people think he is a better fwd option than Bolton, Martin Taranto even Sonsie all rotating fwd and complimenting Riewoldt, Lynch Cumberland and M Rioli or possibly even Clarke.
Who really wants to see Cotch in the forward line at the expense of in particular Cumberland,Sonsie, Rioli, and Clarke. If MRJ or Cumberland get injured or have a poor run of form then surely in the name of development Clarke is next cab off the rank.

Why would we stop playing Rioli he just came of a season where not only were we getting the pressure and defence but he was beginning to also become a decent offensive weapon rounding his game out.

Cumberland played in 8 games last year he averaged 2.4 goals for the 8 games and showed he was an attacking weapon. Balance that 2.4 over 22 games and its 50 odd goals a year. We have had just one small fwd this century who has kicked more than 40 goals in a season that was Bolton last year.

Its quite clear that a few of the old regulars are no longer the best options in certain roles so why play em in those roles at the expense of good kids coming thru.
Caddy was Cumberland size and I think in 2018 he kicked 40+

I just don't get all the talk from the club and supporters about the need to play Cotchin as a forward.

Did no one watch his season last year, he was our second best mid last year and is still in our best 4 or 5 mids quite easily with Taranto and Hopper there.
With Taranto and Hopper it doesnt mean he can't play mid and has to play more as a forward.
What it should mean is he plays his customary role rotating thru the midfield with more time on the bench resting his aging legs.The line game management comes to mind.

Im not sure what planet people think he is a better fwd option than Bolton, Martin Taranto even Sonsie all rotating fwd and complimenting Riewoldt, Lynch Cumberland and M Rioli or possibly even Clarke.
Who really wants to see Cotch in the forward line at the expense of in particular Cumberland,Sonsie, Rioli, and Clarke. If MRJ or Cumberland get injured or have a poor run of form then surely in the name of development Clarke is next cab off the rank.

Why would we stop playing Rioli he just came of a season where not only were we getting the pressure and defence but he was beginning to also become a decent offensive weapon rounding his game out.

Cumberland played in 8 games last year he averaged 2.4 goals for the 8 games and showed he was an attacking weapon. Balance that 2.4 over 22 games and its 50 odd goals a year. We have had just one small fwd this century who has kicked more than 40 goals in a season that was Bolton last year.

Its quite clear that a few of the old regulars are no longer the best options in certain roles so why play em in those roles at the expense of good kids coming thru.

"Did no one watch his season last year, he was our second best mid last year and is still in our best 4 or 5 mids quite easily with Taranto and Hopper there."

Last year's honest midfield assessment:

Prestia: broke down 5 times, still was our best mid.
Dusty: missed most of year through personal matters and injury.
Bolton: played 85% of season as a forward.
Short: thrown in there out of desperation, without any training for the role, was actually good to adequate.
Ross: played every position bar ruck. When played as a mid he killed it at the end of season.
Sonsie: played 7 games. WILL BE A STAR! MUST BE PLAYED! FUTURE OF OUR MIDFIELD!
Lambert: played 2 games, body broken now needs bionic hips.
Edwards: made Castagna look good some games.
Caddie: retired without playing a game.

RCD: Spud... delisted.

Looking back on last years midfield it truly was a car wreck, the forwards and backs did all the heavy lifting. Basically Cotchin was Steven Bradbury last year. I completely disagree with your assessment that he's still in our best 4 or 5 mids as I have all those remaining (in Black) ahead of him as well as Hopper and Taranto. So I have him as our 9th best mid. He has no versatility position-wise other than bench, hiding him up forward weakens the team as a whole. As Cumberland, MRJ, Judson, Taranto, Bolton and Dusty can all genuinely play as lethally effective forwards. Cotchin can't. I don't claim to watch every other game, but I watch every single Tiges game at least twice. Last year our midfield was arguably the worst in the entire competition/ at least bottom 3. Taranto, Hopper, Dusty back, Sonsie and Ross a year older and hungry for a flag. I reckon we'd have to be in the conversation for top 3 midfield. If Nank could stop hitting it to the opposition midfielders advantage so much potentially the best midfield? Who knows if Pickett, Banks, Judson, Ralphsmith could potentially end up in the guts at times and deliver?? Last year there were many games where we had Castagna, Aarts, Edwards and Soldo all as basically passengers. Clearly the club has telegraphed Cotchin will play 300, Riewoldt is also 34 we can't afford to carry anyone as passengers when we have every right to be considered favourites for the flag.

2022 Jack Dyer Medal top 20 players

1st – Tom Lynch, 60
2nd – Daniel Rioli, 59
3rd – Dion Prestia, 56
Eq. 4th – Shai Bolton, 53
Eq. 4th – Liam Baker, 53
Eq. 6th – Trent Cotchin, 52
Eq. 6th – Jayden Short, 52
Eq. 8th – Toby Nankervis, 47
Eq. 8th – Marlion Pickett, 47
10th – Nathan Broad, 46
Eq. 11th – Nick Vlastuin, 44
Eq. 11th – Robbie Tarrant, 44
Eq. 13th – Dylan Grimes, 39
Eq. 13th – Kamdyn McIntosh, 39
15th – Jack Riewoldt, 34
16th – Jack Graham, 32
Eq. 17th – Shane Edwards, 23
Eq. 17th – Maurice Rioli Jr, 23
Eq. 19th – Dustin Martin, 19
Eq. 19th – Noah Cumberland, 19

Tad harsh on MacIntosh, reckon his disposal was pretty good last year, but much of what you say is true. Early in the season to be writing players off, (Cotch after on practice match, his first as a forward) but time will tell.

I thought it was a mistake for Cotchin to go on this year. With the addition of Taranto and Hopper, IMO it definitely was a mistake. Edwards, Castagna, Aarts, Soldo cost games the kids could've played last year. Cumberland doesn't finally get that chance and shows he belongs, odds are club would've delisted him with Will Martyn. McIntosh is fringe best 22, with competition for spots red hot he's IMO most expendable. Pickett's superior in every way to McIntosh (also 3 more seasons guarantees F/S) Short, Ralphsmith, Baker, Ross, Sonsie, Cotchin, Judson, Banks all need gametime. Look at anybodies variation on our starting lineup. McIntosh has to be shakiest in every lineup. FMD I just realised we've also got to find out if Dow can cut the mustard or he's probably goneski. The list is very lean as far as carrying genuine spuds and dead weight.

I used to have a David Cloke 300 games yellow poster with autographed caricatures of Jack Dyer, Cloke, Bartlett and Saint Francis on it. From memory was only given out in the members section and I snaffled a few (being how we were s**t we officially had 4974 members in 1990 yet was rarely more than 300 people in our seated area no matter who we played). The posters probably covered in pigeon s**t in the shed somewhere? I dunno what the circle jerk obsession around here with 300 games is. Wins and flags are all that matters, rewarding kids in the magoos who are burning like Cumberland is what matters. Watching Edwards stink it up for majority of the season was painful. Thankfully Cotchin only needs 13 more unlike Edwards needing 19. Technically Cotchin has reached 300 as below.

Considering those who would defend Castagna and RCD endlessly until the bitter end. I've got no doubt there'll be masses who'll defend and make excuses for Cotchin even if by round 10 he's averaging 3 effective disposals and 0.4 goals a game. I just wanna see the Tige's finish top 4 with a home final and who knows from there, not be bitter over losing games at selection " cos champions deserve to be carried".

TRIPLE premiership captain Trent Cotchin and commentators Bruce McAvaney and Eddie McGuire are among eight new AFL life members who will be recognised next month.
Richmond great Cotchin has qualified for life membership automatically after reaching the milestone of 300 official AFL games, joining North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein, recently retired West Coast forward Josh Kennedy, former Essendon, Port Adelaide and St Kilda tall Paddy Ryder and Collingwood veteran Steele Sidebottom. The 300-game tally includes AFL premiership matches as well as official pre-season games, State of Origin matches and International Rules games.

I thought it was a mistake for Cotchin to go on this year. With the addition of Taranto and Hopper, IMO it definitely was a mistake. Edwards, Castagna, Aarts, Soldo cost games the kids could've played last year. Cumberland doesn't finally get that chance and shows he belongs, odds are club would've delisted him with Will Martyn. McIntosh is fringe best 22, with competition for spots red hot he's IMO most expendable. Pickett's superior in every way to McIntosh (also 3 more seasons guarantees F/S) Short, Ralphsmith, Baker, Ross, Sonsie, Cotchin, Judson, Banks all need gametime. Look at anybodies variation on our starting lineup. McIntosh has to be shakiest in every lineup. FMD I just realised we've also got to find out if Dow can cut the mustard or he's probably goneski. The list is very lean as far as carrying genuine spuds and dead weight.

I used to have a David Cloke 300 games yellow poster with autographed caricatures of Jack Dyer, Cloke, Bartlett and Saint Francis on it. From memory was only given out in the members section and I snaffled a few (being how we were s**t we officially had 4974 members in 1990 yet was rarely more than 300 people in our seated area no matter who we played). The posters probably covered in pigeon s**t in the shed somewhere? I dunno what the circle jerk obsession around here with 300 games is. Wins and flags are all that matters, rewarding kids in the magoos who are burning like Cumberland is what matters. Watching Edwards stink it up for majority of the season was painful. Thankfully Cotchin only needs 13 more unlike Edwards needing 19. Technically Cotchin has reached 300 as below.

Considering those who would defend Castagna and RCD endlessly until the bitter end. I've got no doubt there'll be masses who'll defend and make excuses for Cotchin even if by round 10 he's averaging 3 effective disposals and 0.4 goals a game. I just wanna see the Tige's finish top 4 with a home final and who knows from there, not be bitter over losing games at selection " cos champions deserve to be carried".

TRIPLE premiership captain Trent Cotchin and commentators Bruce McAvaney and Eddie McGuire are among eight new AFL life members who will be recognised next month.
Richmond great Cotchin has qualified for life membership automatically after reaching the milestone of 300 official AFL games, joining North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein, recently retired West Coast forward Josh Kennedy, former Essendon, Port Adelaide and St Kilda tall Paddy Ryder and Collingwood veteran Steele Sidebottom. The 300-game tally includes AFL premiership matches as well as official pre-season games, State of Origin matches and International Rules games.
Cotchin found form I reckon but 2 Giants In puts his position in the spotlight. There's been 2 practice matches. I'll wait to see how everyone goes. If Clarke deserves a game play him but I'd start with the team from last game last year and add Grimes, TT and JH. Drop anyone injured.
Dimma went with the 3 small fwds at the start of the year and Soldo in the ruck. Fair enough. Backline had Tarrant, gibcus new. Balta, Rioli and Baker back. And Grimes a new captain.
But got games into Hugo, Clarke etc which is good.
By the end of the year no Soldo, George Aarts etc. NoahC debuting.
I'd play cotch mid/bench.
As far as costing wins go: 18 players can put up their hand for dumb errors in the final. Ross and Sonsie were good in their first final.. Prestia injured again. Played well Up until the injury.
Dusty missing a year didn't help and he is older too. Was not great in the final.

If Cotch and Jack are close to best 26 by finals then playing in a grand final this year. I'd be happy to give him a chance to get 4 flags.
Rather cotchin is contracted so sacking an ex captain and still leader at the club reeks of hawthorn.
Cotchin from 2017 at least has been instrumental in our flag success.
We could kinda carry Edwards cos we haven't been great the last 2 years. Indigenous player as well. Which our club is doing well.

Regarding Cotchin not going on again this year

With no draft picks we already selected speculative players
Smith , Green , Bradtke , Young , Campbell

The player we would have selected to take Cotchins role would most likely have been Narkle
IMO for a year like 2023 when we are going all out for the flag im taking Cotchin for 2023

Round 1 best 22: (missing gibcus & tarrant)

FB: Grimes, Miller, Vlastuin
HB: Short, Balta, D.Rioli
C: Pickett, Prestia, Ralphsmith
HF: Bolton, Riewoldt, Martin
FF: Cumberland, Lynch, M.Rioli
F: Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper

Int: Ryan, Sonsie, Cotchin, Broad

Its 2 out of 3 for baker, broad and short for me. Gonna get roasted for leaving baker out but whats his role? Hes not a mid with what we have available in those positions. He can really only play in the backline and Jayden Short is an AA half back on a massive deal. Hes not a midfielder. So he has to go down back. See how it works, can't it be dynamic with both of him and rioli down there? Otherwise, short has to be dropped till he improves defensviely enough to be better than baker. I just dont see where baker plays.

I liked the look of ryan and id like to see him sub in for Miller while Miller covers tarrant down back. Sonsie and bolton to play the role short was playing against North Melb.

There is a spot there for Ryan if he wants it badly enough. Have the two giants when riewoldt retires and then have some solid mediums in Martin, Taranto, Bauer, Cotch, Cumbo etc around them.

Agree regarding the 300 games mark, but Cotchin didn't stink it up last year in fact had his best year in quite a while. No reason to think he will go the same way as Edwards, he is the same age as Dangerfield and he has just been made captain, and a few years younger than still very good players like Pendelbury and half of Geelong.

Before we hang him out to retire, we can at least have a look at him as a remodelled mid (no longer has to compete for every ground ball like his life depended on it because Hopper in particular will be doing that), and a part time forward.

Similar with MacIntosh who I agree is on the edge of selection mainly due to the players you mention snapping at his heels and not on performance. I was reacting to the accusation that MacIntosh butchers the ball, which in my eyes in far from the truth. May have been a long time ago, but I always thought his biggest problem with his kicking was that it was pretty pedestrian, always going for the straight down the line easy option. Last year he hit some great passes and his kicking was the most creative I have ever seen it, it's called confidence. Ross had a similar problem and was run down on here for it, but late last season his kicking and creativity was his strongest suite.

I think we should keep our powder dry until at least round 1.

Screenshot_20230302_092245_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230302_092319_Samsung Internet.jpg
Saw this on socials this morning and gave it a crack. Probably the toughest it's ever been. Had to leave out the likes of Graham, Cumberland, Ross and Miller because I just couldn't find spots for them.
Clarke included because I thought he was one of our best against North.
Sonsie included because he just makes us better and I think that if he is fit, he should always play at AFL level.
Short has been unimpressive for a while now so if I was selecting my best 22 and not the 22 I think will be chosen for round 1, Short would be replaced by Miller/Ross.
Dusty appears to be playing Cumberland's role from last year, so yeah, that's stiff for Noah lol.

View attachment 1619107
View attachment 1619108
Saw this on socials this morning and gave it a crack. Probably the toughest it's ever been. Had to leave out the likes of Graham, Cumberland, Ross and Miller because I just couldn't find spots for them.
Clarke included because I thought he was one of our best against North.
Sonsie included because he just makes us better and I think that if he is fit, he should always play at AFL level.
Short has been unimpressive for a while now so if I was selecting my best 22 and not the 22 I think will be chosen for round 1, Short would be replaced by Miller/Ross.
Dusty appears to be playing Cumberland's role from last year, so yeah, that's stiff for Noah lol.
Tarrant won’t play he’s injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Tarrant, Pickett and Graham are all unavailable (and Gibcus of course).

B: Vlastuin Grimes Baker
HB: Broad Balta D.Rioli
C: McIntosh Hopper Bolton
HF: Martin Riewoldt Sonsie
F: Cumberland Lynch M.Rioli
Foll: Nankervis Taranto Prestia
I/C: Cotchin Ross Miller Brown

Went to the website and created my first round team. Ive excluded Tarrant due to probable injury but otherwise might have to move Broad out (which would be an incredibly tough call imho). I'd prefer Ralph-Smith as the first sub of the year due to his versatility and speed later in games. Leaving out Short, Graham, Ross and Soldo doesn't sit well with me but its a bloody tough team to get into atm.

Trying to find opportunities for Clarke, Banks, Brown, Ryan, Biggie and our first year recruits will be a massive challenge. I hope the competition for spots makes everyone step up and fight their way through the whole of the season. If they do, nothing will stop us in 2023.

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 4.04.42 pm.png

Last edited:
FB:Tarrant, Grimes, Vlastuin
HB: Rioli, Balta, Baker
C: Pickett, Hopper, McIntosh
HF: Bolton, Lynch, Dusty
FF: Cumberland, Riewoldt, MRJ
R: Nankervis, Prestia, Taranto
I/C: Cotchin, Broad, Short, Miller/Ryan
Sub: Judson
Emg: Graham, Ross, Miller/Ryan, Ralphsmith

Not sure who plays out of Ryan and Miller but either of them before Soldo.

B: Vlastuin Tarrant Grimes
HB Short Balta Baker
C Kmac Hopper Pickett
HF Bolton Ryan D.Rioli
FF MRJ Lynch Martin
FOLL: Nank Prestia Taranto
INT: Sonsie Cumberland Miller Broad
Sub: Clarke

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Bolton has to start in the middle round 1 and play mostly midfield.

They need to find a way to get him involved early or else we don’t have the spark he gives us.

Start Prestia on the bench. Move Bolton forward later in the game once he’s engaged.

revised

Broad Tarrant Grimes
Baker Balta Rioli
Kmac TimT Pickett
Bolton Jack Clarke
RioliJr Lynch Dusty

Nank Hopper Prestia

Ryan or Miller , Cumbo , Sonsie , Short Sub Cotch

I would also like us to stop playing Hugo R down back and move him more forward , his combination of pace and tank could also help

As everyone else has noted we need more pace and running ability especially forward of centre

Two things from last year that haven’t changed.

Slow backline and forward line. Even Grimes looks slow now.

When we get tackled we don’t get the handball away often enough but good opposition players seem to do so when we tackle them.

revised

Broad Tarrant Grimes
Baker Balta Rioli
Kmac TimT Pickett
Bolton Jack Clarke
RioliJr Lynch Dusty

Nank Hopper Prestia

Ryan or Miller , Cumbo , Sonsie , Short Sub Cotch

I would also like us to stop playing Hugo R down back and move him more forward , his combination of pace and tank could also help

As everyone else has noted we need more pace and running ability especially forward of centre
Too many old legs.

Hmm id like to see this given Tarrant is injured

B: Grimes - Miller - Vlastuin
HB: Rioli - Balta - Broad

C: Pickett - Hopper - Ralphsmith/Banks/Brown
R: Nankervis - Taranto - Prestia

HF: Bolton - Lynch - Sonsie
FF: Ryan - Riewoldt - Cumberland

INT: Martin - Cotchin - Baker - Clarke - Ross - Graham.

Defence
Young looks a bit off the pace and with Tarrant and Gibcus injured id play Miller as a kpd. That aside the others pick themselves.
I have Baker as the 7th defender if you like

Midfield
Would like to see us try one of Ralphsmith, Browne or Banks on a wing instead of fumbles McIntosh. Really is time to get some games into these rangy running types. Pickett and Hopper pick themselves imo.

Onball
Well they too speak for themselves atm our best ruckman, and our best two ball winning mids.

Forwards
Bolton is our best small fwd of course he will spend plenty of time thru the midfield.
People have talked about the Lambert role which to me was as a mid who played mostly forward of centre or to put it another way high H/F.
We need to play Sonsie we desperately need his skills and his vision and he would be ideal in the role.

Hands up anyone who doesnt think we need another kpf or fwd ruck. Real concerns about Riewoldt even giving us a presence in the air. we need more than just Lynchy as a marking target and i reckon its time to see what Ryan can offer again. The benefit is two fold he can help in the ruck and he gives us at worst a tall presence fwd hopefully taking some heat away from big Tom and Jack.

Reluctantly Left MRJ out of round 1. He looked very ordinary against Melbourne and i rewarded Clarkes good off season instead.
Hoping others can bring defensive pressure.

INT: Well the first three picked themselves. Dusty should spend significant time as a mid with some runs thru the fwd half.
Cotchin well he is not a forwards a-hole imo, too slow and not damaging. Play him in his usual role as a mid with stints on the bench. He had a very good year last year as a mid. Enough of the fwd nonsense there really is many better fwd options.
As mentioned Baker is the 7th defender or outlet player. Clarke not just as a forward he can do a running role for us if need be.

Then the sub option atm id prefer probably Ross but only if he is played as a mid. The obvious one i left out was Short just can't find a spot for him except maybe as the sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back