STARTING 22 FOR 2023 - TOUGH DECISIONS TO BE MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t believe MRJ is a lock in everyone’s team and Sonsie left out. I am hoping MRJ keeps improving and hopefully becomes an out an out star but his spot is no certainty. MRJ applies great pressure but still is not getting enough possessions. Sonsie is much better in this area.

Sonsie is a better player than MJR but Junior plays a crucial role in the team that very few on the list can execute. MJR doesn't get anywhere near the possessions, meters gained, marks etc than Sonsie does but that's not why MJR is in the team. MJR creates goals. He turns the ball over with his pressure, real and implied. He stops defenders rebounding out of defense. He takes away time and space. Without him, we don't lock the ball in our F50 anywhere near as much. Teams move the ball through the corridor and score more frequently. We don't get those cheap goals out the back.

So that's why, I think Sonsie will be a lock in our midfield moving forward, he's not a like for like swap for MJR. They play completely different roles and at the moment there are more players ahead of Sonsie in the role he plays than MJR.

Last edited:
Sonsie is a better player than MJR but Junior plays a crucial role in the team that very few on the list can execute. MJR doesn't get anywhere near the possessions, meters gained, marks etc than Sonsie does but that's not why MJR is in the team. MJR creates goals. He turns the ball over with his pressure, real and implied. He stops defenders rebounding out of defense. He takes away time and space. Without him, we don't lock the ball in our F50 anywhere near as much. Teams move the ball through the corridor and score more frequently. We don't get those cheap goals out the back.

So why, I think Sonsie will be a lock in our midfield moving forward, he's not a like for like swap for MJR. They play completely different roles and at the moment there are more players ahead of Sonsie in the role he plays than MJR.
I fully understand why MRJ is in the side and his role but I personally don’t see him as a lock. He will need to improve to hold his place as younger players will put their hands up.

I can’t believe MRJ is a lock in everyone’s team and Sonsie left out. I am hoping MRJ keeps improving and hopefully becomes an out an out star but his spot is no certainty. MRJ applies great pressure but still is not getting enough possessions. Sonsie is much better in this area.
MRJ and Noah are playing their fwd roles well. MRJ in particular added that 'attack' to his game. I would be starting the year with them. Sonz deserves to be on the 22 but he may have to wait a year for a mid, Cotch retirement to be best 22.
Sonz and Noah had good starts to their careers. See how 23 goes. Small fwd role is difficult

What's your 22?

MRJ and Noah are playing their fwd roles well. MRJ in particular added that 'attack' to his game. I would be starting the year with them. Sonz deserves to be on the 22 but he may have to wait a year for a mid, Cotch retirement to be best 22.
Sonz and Noah had good starts to their careers. See how 23 goes. Small fwd role is difficult

What's your 22?
My 22
FB: Grimes, Tarrant, Balta
HB: Broad, Vlaustin, Rioli
C: Pickett, Martin, McIntosh
HF: Bolton Riewoldt, Taranto
FF: Cumberland, Lynch, MRJ

F: Nankervis Prestia, Hopper
Int: Baker,Short, Miller, Cotchin, Sonsie

HRS/Ross/Graham/Clarke - Gibcus

Obviously a couple of players may be excluded due to injury but at this stage my selections are these. I’ll be extremely disappointed if 4 or 5 changes have not occurred by rounds 17-18 with youngsters forcing their way in.

I don’t see MRJ as a lock and think 3 or 4 others could take his spot. I think Clarke is more talented and could play the pressure role once his tank improves.

Balta needs a good kick in the arse and needs to stand up. He was rubbish and unless he shows some grunt and consistency id replace him ASAP with Gibcus when fit.
JR8 I do not see as a huge liability and think he’ll go ok. Lots of small to medium forwards can cover him if he does fall away.

Grimes was showing signs of decline before doing his hammy and I see getting games into Gibcus as vital for our tall defensive stocks.

I’d start Martin midfield changing with TT. Not as a forward. Martin’s greatest strength is the failure of opponents being able to go with him when he changes between the 2 roles. TT also to a lesser degree.

Baker Tarrant Grimes
D Rioli Balta Nick V
Kmac Hopper Pickett
Dusty Riewoldt Bolton
M Rioli Lynch Cumberland

Nank Taranto Prestia

Short Miller Sonsie Cotch Clarke/Hugo/Ross

Obviously one of the above to be sub , perhaps some weeks cotch and others a more typical runner like Hugo

IMO the biggest question mark on this side is its pace/running ability/defensive pressure so i would play 3 talls down back instead of 4 and bring
in another runner like short. Of course i understand that wont happen and we will go with 4 unfortunately..

Baker Tarrant Grimes
D Rioli Balta Nick V
Kmac Hopper Pickett
Dusty Riewoldt Bolton
M Rioli Lynch Cumberland

Nank Taranto Prestia

Obviously one of the above to be sub , perhaps some weeks cotch and others a more typical runner like Hugo

IMO the biggest question mark on this side is its pace/running ability/defensive pressure so i would play 3 talls down back instead of 4 and bring
in another runner like short. Of course i understand that wont happen and we will go with 4 unfortunately..

Broad? Graham?

4 talls when you’ve named 3 in defence? Unless you’re counting Vlas as a tall?

Also not sure why you’re worried about run/pace/defensive pressure. There are guys with elite repeat sprint times on every line? Grimes is the only guy I’d be concerned about in that regard given his hamstrings and age, but at full fitness we know he has pace.

If everyone’s fit my best 22 for round 1 would be the same except Broad for Sonsie and a coin flip between Graham and Short for sub.

My only concern for the year is consistency and hunger. Our best and our depth is good enough to win it all, but last 2 years we just have been unable to be consistent and our late game screw ups are often due to poor execution which is because we’re not as switched on as 2017-2020.

Last edited:
My biggest selection curiosity revolves around these players -

Cotchin, Sonsie, Graham, Short, Soldo, Miller and Cumberland.

Cotchin
is our three time premiership Captain but it seems that the inclusion of Hopper and Taranto has pushed him out of the one area of the ground that he excels at. He's not a backman. He's not a wingman. He's not a ruckman. He's not a forward. He's an inside midfielder. For me, Cotch needs to be played in the middle either as a burst player or a tagger. I feel he needs to begin on the bench, move into the middle and have brief stints at HFF (30%/40%/30%). If this doesn't work, then sub would be his next option but I think he's not the ideal choice for this given his lack of speed and ability to fill a variety of roles.

Sonsie is our future. I really would love to see him play in the midfield from the get-go but appreciate its a tough area of the ground to break into now. If he doesn't play more than half the games this year, I'll be disappointed given his class and potential. He could be a good option for sub but I feel others such as Clarke or HRS would suit this role better.

Graham is an enigma to me. He is our best defensive midfielder and is solid in the high half forward role. Unfortunately, I feel we now have too many similar players to him that are better than him. I would have him start the season at VFL level.

Short is a great distributor and rebound backman. He's not a strong midfielder and now we have a fierce competition for spots in the midfield, I don't believe he should be included in the midfield rotations. He could start on the bench but he's not in our starting 18 imho

Soldo is in a battle with Miller for the 2nd ruck role. He is our best tap ruckman but gets lost around the ground. He's a surprisingly good kick for goal and a a decent overhead mark. Where he struggles is understanding the running patterns and positions he needs to get into. He's slow on the lead which makes him an ordinary forward option. For me, he's the best option if we're trying to improve the service we're giving to our improved midfield but isn't a resting forward's a*hole, imho.

Miller is a adequate ruckman at center bonces and a solid ruckman at stoppages. Where his strength lies is around the ground. His versatility to be a genuine key defender and forward makes him a real asset. He is also excellent around the ground with his tackling, marking and footskills. He's quick off the lead in the forwardline and is strong overhead. Overall, despite not being anywhere near as good of a tap ruckman as Soldo, his flexibility to be a utility and capability to be dangerous when he's resting forward, makes him my first choice as the 2nd ruck this year.

Cumberland was the find of the season last year. He improved our offensive output considerably and his contribution, was a big reason why we were ranked number one offensively in 2022. I have fears that his 'spot' might be used as the resting midfielder position for Taranto & Cotchin. With Lynch, Jack, MRJ, Dusty and Bolton locks in the forwardline, there is really only one position left. Unless Dusty and Bolton are also rotating mid/forward to allow the 2nd spot, I can see Cumberland being forced out. He's too good a forward for that.

Then there's Ross, Ralph-Smith and Clarke. They would be my choice for the sub role. I think Ralph-Smith would be my first choice but Clarke did his chances no harm over the weekend.

Ryan, Dow, Brown, Banks, Biggie and Mansfield have it all in front of them to force their way into the side too.

I always rate our team's prospects based on our depth and this year our depth has never been better!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker Tarrant Grimes
D Rioli Balta Nick V
Kmac Hopper Pickett
Dusty Riewoldt Bolton
M Rioli Lynch Cumberland

Nank Taranto Prestia

agree with , tho id have Broad for Short and Clarke as sub an when Gibcus fit id have him n Tarrant rotating in n outta team based on match ups in the backline

Hi all, looking for thoughts on McIntosh please.

Locked into the wing position again in 2023? Likely to play more than Jack Graham?

Hi all, looking for thoughts on McIntosh please.

Locked into the wing position again in 2023? Likely to play more than Jack Graham?
I would say at this stage he is a lock for the wing.

FB: Grimes, Tarrant, Broad
HB: Vlaustin, Balta, Rioli
C: Pickett, Taranto, McIntosh
HF: Bolton Riewoldt, Martin,
FF: Cumberland, Lynch, MRJ

F: Nankervis Prestia, Hopper
Int: Baker, Miller, Cotchin, Ross
Sub: Short (only because he can play a number of positions and I think Ross deserves a good go. It will revolve anyway so it will only be for a game and most likely be on after half time).

Those that are missing besides Clarke and HRS are missing because they have been in rehab and have not done enough to pass players like Ross who finished last year very well and deserves his place. Let's not get too carried away by a single practice match (Clarke), but it is nice to see him tracking so well.
HRS/Sonie/Graham/Clarke/Gibcus

agree with , tho id have Broad for Short and Clarke as sub an when Gibcus fit id have him n Tarrant rotating in n outta team based on match ups in the backline
They pumped games into Gibcus last year and he was running second to kmac in distance covered in the final. Grimes In: squeezes someone out. Maybe gibcus maybe not.
Broad is always up there for kms run in games.

I just don't get all the talk from the club and supporters about the need to play Cotchin as a forward.

Did no one watch his season last year, he was our second best mid last year and is still in our best 4 or 5 mids quite easily with Taranto and Hopper there.
With Taranto and Hopper it doesnt mean he can't play mid and has to play more as a forward.
What it should mean is he plays his customary role rotating thru the midfield with more time on the bench resting his aging legs.The line game management comes to mind.

Im not sure what planet people think he is a better fwd option than Bolton, Martin Taranto even Sonsie all rotating fwd and complimenting Riewoldt, Lynch Cumberland and M Rioli or possibly even Clarke.
Who really wants to see Cotch in the forward line at the expense of in particular Cumberland,Sonsie, Rioli, and Clarke. If MRJ or Cumberland get injured or have a poor run of form then surely in the name of development Clarke is next cab off the rank.

Why would we stop playing Rioli he just came of a season where not only were we getting the pressure and defence but he was beginning to also become a decent offensive weapon rounding his game out.

Cumberland played in 8 games last year he averaged 2.4 goals for the 8 games and showed he was an attacking weapon. Balance that 2.4 over 22 games and its 50 odd goals a year. We have had just one small fwd this century who has kicked more than 40 goals in a season that was Bolton last year.

Its quite clear that a few of the old regulars are no longer the best options in certain roles so why play em in those roles at the expense of good kids coming thru.

I just don't get all the talk from the club and supporters about the need to play Cotchin as a forward.

Did no one watch his season last year, he was our second best mid last year and is still in our best 4 or 5 mids quite easily with Taranto and Hopper there.
With Taranto and Hopper it doesnt mean he can't play mid and has to play more as a forward.
What it should mean is he plays his customary role rotating thru the midfield with more time on the bench resting his aging legs.The line game management comes to mind.

Im not sure what planet people think he is a better fwd option than Bolton, Martin Taranto even Sonsie all rotating fwd and complimenting Riewoldt, Lynch Cumberland and M Rioli or possibly even Clarke.
Who really wants to see Cotch in the forward line at the expense of in particular Cumberland,Sonsie, Rioli, and Clarke. If MRJ or Cumberland get injured or have a poor run of form then surely in the name of development Clarke is next cab off the rank.

Why would we stop playing Rioli he just came of a season where not only were we getting the pressure and defence but he was beginning to also become a decent offensive weapon rounding his game out.

Cumberland played in 8 games last year he averaged 2.4 goals for the 8 games and showed he was an attacking weapon. Balance that 2.4 over 22 games and its 50 odd goals a year. We have had just one small fwd this century who has kicked more than 40 goals in a season that was Bolton last year.

Its quite clear that a few of the old regulars are no longer the best options in certain roles so why play em in those roles at the expense of good kids coming thru.
The fact is he will have to spend some time forward because Prestia and Hopper are no forwards and spend their whole time on the ground in the guts. So how do you rotate others through the middle if Cotch is there full time as well. He may have had a good season but he has been replaced to a degree by Hopper and Taranto.

I think he will be used from bench to ball to forward. He was played primarily forward in the practice match due mainly to getting time into him as a forward, but I don't think he will replace Cumberland or MRJ. Having said that I was an advocate of him going forward last year because I think he could be a weapon up there because he is such a good footballer he can play anywhere. But we needed him on the ball and he responded with his best season for a while. If he is kept a bit fresher and doesn't have to be the desperate body player he has become, I think he could have even a better year than last. I think he will relish the change.

Writing this with my rose coloured glasses on as usual.

My best starting 22.

FB: Grimes, Tarrant, Vlastuin
HB: Broad, Balta, D.Rioli
C: Pickett, Prestia, Short
HF: Bolton Riewoldt, Martin
FF: Cumberland, Lynch, M.Rioli
F: Nankervis, Taranto, Hopper

Int: Baker, Clarke, Miller, Sonsie, Cotchin

EMG: Ross, Ralphsmith, McIntosh, Banks, Gibcus, Ryan

My patience with McIntosh has run out. He might run all day and has good height for spoiling and taking marks and is actually a pretty good set shot at goal. But his blunders have done my head in. He butchers the ball, makes dumb turnovers and is definitely very low footy IQ. Our backline is stacked and Baker will be in there also so Short needs a position. Ross, Sonsie are better mid options than Short. People forget Short won a BnF in a premiership year. He knows how to find the ball, can run and carry, bomb the ball long and how many times did he used to recieve handballs from players who had marked 55m out and launch goals off 2 steps. Fact of the matter is at his peak Short has proven he can be in our top few players. At his peak McIntosh is holding onto his spot but still in our bottom 6 players. I watched Cotchin closely on Friday both at the ground and on replay. He kicked a nice goal and dished off another but that was it. He dropped an absolute sitter, another time directly in front of me Dusty kicked a beautiful pass to him, and he didn't even put his arms up let alone attempt to jump (the ball was only 0.5m over his massive bouffant hair). There's no way Cumberland and Judson aren't miles ahead of Cotchin in the forwardline pecking order and MRJ's magnet gets superglued to the board from here on..

Don't know how much Baker's appendix will affect him, but as soon as he signed his contract last year his form declined the very next game. I'm hoping he's settled down back as you need scrappy mongrels. I think until Miller stinks it up he's backup ruck and utility as around the ground and when the ball hits the deck he's actually pretty good, unlike Soldo who's efforts were painful. Samson Ryan has gone past Soldo as he offers genuine forward craft. Some had Graham touted as our next captain, I have him barely top 30. Ross and Sonsie deserve gametime over him as their upside's massive. Who knows who's going to be the complete spuds down the bottom of the ladder. In those games (especially the interstate ones) I would rest all of Nank, Lynch, Riewoldt, Prestia, Grimes, Cotchin and give the kids a taste. I would also monitor Prestia and rest him every 5-6 games as we need him right for finals. If we're 10 goals up manage him and throw Ross or Sonsie in there.

I would've rested him against either Essendon or Hawks in last 2 rounds of the H&A. We played him 8 games straight. Apart from that freaky year 2019 where he played every single games, in his last 8 seasons he has proven that he cant string more than 6 or 7 games together before he breaks down. The messed up thing is he never breaks down in the 4th quarter, last year he broke down at least 4 times before half time and at least twice in the first quarter, his bodies only going to degenerate more. The chubby little meatball then comes back and plays blinders (he should promote Radox bath salts, sales would skyrocket). The most exciting thing is Aarts and Cantstandya are gone so the kids should feel confident that they'll be rewarded for good form in the magoos. I think whilst Grimes, Prestia, Broad, Tarrant can still produce we have 2 potentially 3 more years to win another flag or 2. 2026 we'll drop off as nearly all our top tier talent will be gone or old as fu%k!

Here's hoping if Cotchin doesn't produce they carry him to 300 and done. No repeats of Edwards last year who apart from 1 or 2 games was easily the worst player by a country mile. All those who are gonna bang on about invaluable leadership, that doesn't cut it if you're only getting a couple of quality touches and your direct opponent is leaving you in their wake whilst setting up endless forward forays like all the gun HBF's do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back