STARTING 22 FOR 2023 - TOUGH DECISIONS TO BE MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but basically just the same as last year. Not a 5 man bench per se. There will be games where the sub doesn't come on at all.
highly unlikely....

coaches will 99.9% of the time take the risk of fresh legs over any possible negatives

highly unlikely....

coaches will 99.9% of the time take the risk of fresh legs over any possible negatives
Yeah you're probably right but it will be the same as the horrid green vest subs of a few years ago. Come on late in the 3rd/early in the 4th unless forced by injury.

They should've just gone with a 5-man interchange. On the plus side it might be the reason we can get Marlion to 100 games. He's a great sub option.

Last edited:
Yeah you're probably right but it will be the same as the hoorid green vest subs of a few years ago. Come on late in the 3rd/early in the 4th unless forced by injury.

They should've just gone with a 5-man interchange. On the plus side it might be the reason we can get Marlion to 100 games. He's a great sub option.
i HATE THE SUB, JUST GO 5 PLAYERS ON THE BENCH AND BE DONE WITH IT

Going back to the sub seems like a step backwards for me. Why not go to a 5 man bench? It's never fair on the sub player who only gets a small amount of time on the ground. It interrupts their training, ability to play a full game at VFL level and their ability to prepare. They never know really what position or role they are going to have to play. Reactive move by the AFL.

Personally I'd like a 6 or more bench size.

Tough decisions to be made is the title of the thread. Seems a lot of people are finding it difficult to make those tough decisions.

B: Vlastuin - Tarrant - Grimes.

These three are walk up starts if fit. Tarrant maybe 34 but he is our best big one on one defender Balta can still only hope he gets as good as Tarrant at standing the big fwds. Lets not kid ourselves here Tarrant will be picked every week if fit.

HB: Broad - Balta - Rioli.

Two things here i reckon Balta is in the gun he gets a lot of accolades but gives little in return.Imo he needs in a way a break out season where he becomes a consistent reliable player playing at a high standard all game week in week out.
Rioli well no one wants to say it but he is the one who has Shorts role and he does it so much better.

Like in seasons past id like em to play Broad further up the ground allowing us to continue to get games into Gibcus as a third tall. Grimes then goes back to his customary role of playing intercept and on the small medium fwds.
While Grimes is a tall i actually look at him as a medium with his ability to play much smaller than he is.
This won't happen so ultimately i have Gibcus playing from the 5 man bench as a utility.
The seven i mentioned imo are the best 7 defenders we have and one way or another i think we need to find a way to keep playing Gibcus and at least a few of the younger blokes.

C: McIntosh - Hopper - Pickett.

Laughable that people want Short in McIntosh's role that smacks of desperation by some to just find a way to get Short into the 23.
While im not a fan of McIntosh where i think some aspects of his game are poor he brings in spades what Short just does not.
In any ones language that is a hard edged hard running accountable midfield and it is our best midfield to date. It can be improved in areas but not with Jayden Short imo. With him you may fix one problem but create another.

R: Nankervis - Taranto - Prestia.

Imo Toby is our best ruckman by some margin. Soldo is in competition with Nank for the #1 ruck spot, he does not offer anything as a second ruck/fwd and does not have the attributes to play fwd imo. The temptation is to start Bolton here but no matter he will spend plenty of time in there with rotations. Our midfield rotations from the fwd half and the bench are pretty darn good.

HF: Cumberland - Riewoldt - Bolton.

Anyone who does not have Cumberland in our fwd line is kidding themselves. Pressure and goalkicking on a regular basis. Ask yourselves who is a better permanent small fwd than him at the moment. He just showed too much as a small fwd to leave out.
Jack because there is no one else but i will continue on the theme for the big need to get games into someone, anyone who can play tall fwd. Three options atm the best of them imo remains Balta along with Miller I also think Gibcus as a utility from the bench can go thru there. Last Bolton our most dynamic player rotating thru the midfield as well.

FF: Miller - Lynch - M Rioli.

Miller will obviously pinch hit in the ruck but im starting him fwd especially when we come across sides where this can be done without worrying about being too tall.
Lynchy well its lynchy hope he has another productive season and stays injury free. MAURICE JUNIOR well he has to play for his pressure and the vast improvement he has already shown. He and Cumberland are our best two small forwards atm by far.

INT: Martin - Cotchin - Sonsie - Gibcus - Baker/Short/Graham

Picked Baker over both Graham and Short. Started Dusty and Cotch on the bench let em come on when the heat is out of the game lets look after our older stars and manage their game time. Most likely though Dusty will start as a fwd.
Sonsie because he is easily our best young midfield prospect and is already a better option as a mid than Graham, Short and Baker. Crazy of us not to pump games into him.

Any way just my humble opinion on what our starting 22 should be will pop back in here at some stage.
This is the 25.
I’d have Martin replacing Miller in the starting 18 but that’s semantics really, and you mentioned that’s the likelihood anyway.

Tend to agree with your top 5 on the bench, with Baker and Short vying for that sub spot.

This is the 25.
I’d have Martin replacing Miller in the starting 18 but that’s semantics really, and you mentioned that’s the likelihood anyway.

Tend to agree with your top 5 on the bench, with Baker and Short vying for that sub spot.

Martin on the bench is an eye opener.

I'm not sure if Hardwick has short or baker in big danger of being the 23rd player yet.

I think the first 18/20 will pick itself -

Vlastuin. Tarrant. Grimes/Balta.
Short. Broad. Rioli.
McIntosh. Cotchin. Pickett.
Taranto. Bolton. Baker/Graham.
Riewoldt. Martin. Lynch.
Nankervis. Hopper. Prestia.

The last 2 or 3 spots will be interesting. It'd be good to see the youth backed in; Cumberland. Sonsie. Gibcus. Etc.

But Hardwick might lean towards more mature players in Soldo. George. Young?

Hopefully it's a good season injury wise to make the selection team earn their money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who?

I thought he wasn't fit to tie Danger's shoelaces.

Dustys 2 best moments in his career were against the same team and both flogs.
Dustys fend and burn off of Dog Stewart.
And Dustys whos boss moment against Dangerflog.

I don't get too bothered with postings on this site as it is simply a Richmond-centric group conversation which I love. As the saying goes, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. One thing that tends to get my shackles ever so slightly up however is the lack of understanding of how important Kmac is to our team. We all seem to know he runs and runs and then runs again. We all seem to know that he is a big-bodied man and is always ready to use it. If he needs to spoil, he spoils. If he should mark, he marks. If he has a shot at goal, on the run or set, he is a bloody good chance of making it. The match committee, over the last three seasons, would rarely bring his name up because there is no need to, just put his magnet on the wing and get on with the more difficult selection choices.
Alot similar to George.Some only see the basic stuff not the actual stuff he brought too the side and why he's a 3x Premiership player.

Alot similar to George.Some only see the basic stuff not the actual stuff he brought too the side and why he's a 3x Premiership player.
George and Aarts were the small fwds at the start of the season. Mrj and Cumberland by the end. Thanks for your service George the 2017 flag is the stuff of legends. But your football dropped off over the year. George's goal kicking became too much a negative. I can't see him playing again. I personally don't rate kmac. he should be doing more and I'd be happy for short to play his wing.
I hope Graham is now depth but selectors have 4 or 5 favourite players who's position isn't guaranteed. Short, kmac, Graham, Broad, gibcus.
Add cotch to that list

George and Aarts were the small fwds at the start of the season. Mrj and Cumberland by the end. Thanks for your service George the 2017 flag is the stuff of legends. But your football dropped off over the year. George's goal kicking became too much a negative. I can't see him playing again. I personally don't rate kmac. he should be doing more and I'd be happy for short to play his wing.
I hope Graham is now depth but selectors have 4 or 5 favourite players who's position isn't guaranteed. Short, kmac, Graham, Broad, gibcus.
Add cotch to that list
Agree in regards too George.His days are numbered.At least your respectful of his contribution since 17 unlike others on here.
As for favourites.
If they're doing what's asked then of coarse they're in Dimmas good book.

BPVlastuinFBTarrantBPGrimes
HBBakerCHBGibcusHBRioli
WMcintoshCHopperWPickett
HFBoltonCHFBaltaHFTaranto
FPRioili JnrFFLynchFPCumberland
RuckNankervisRRMartinRPrestia
B1BroadB2ShortB3Cotchin
B4RiewoldtSubClarke
EM 1GrahamEM 2RossEM 3Sonsie
EM 4RalphsmithEM 5 SoldoEM 6Banks

I think Baltas best postion is in defence BUT to fit in all of Tarrant/Gibcus/Balta I've put him in as the second ruckman, if there is an injury in the backhalf then I'd move him back or he can drift back and take the backhalf stoppages and act as a spare if need be, like Blicavs did this year or Astbruy in the 2020 grand final.

Maybe I'm a bit light on for mids but with Hopper, Taranto, Prestia taking up the bulk of the minutes then Martin, Bolton, Cotchin, Short and even Baker rotating through its probably enough.

I'd have Clarke as the sub and bring him on for Cotchin assuming there aren't any injuries

From Left to Right of the Field
FB: Gibcus/Grimes/Broad
HB: D.Rioli/Balta/Vlastuin
C: McIntosh/Taranto/Pickett
HF: Bolton/Riewoldt/Martin
FF: M.Rioli/Lynch/Cumberland
F: Nankervis/Hopper/Prestia

I/C: Baker/Short/Sonsie/Miller
SUB: Cotchin

EM: Graham/Ross/Soldo/Ralphsmith/Clarke/Castagna

From Left to Right of the Field
FB: Gibcus/Grimes/Broad
HB: D.Rioli/Balta/Vlastuin
C: McIntosh/Taranto/Pickett
HF: Bolton/Riewoldt/Martin
FF: M.Rioli/Lynch/Cumberland
F: Nankervis/Hopper/Prestia

I/C: Baker/Short/Sonsie/Miller
SUB: Cotchin

EM: Graham/Ross/Soldo/Ralphsmith/Clarke/Castagna
This is spot on IMO. And good enough for more flags.

Man, how tough is it going to be to crack a game with a healthy list, I tried to put our best side on the park but geez a few players will be stiff, will definitely come down to opposition match ups some weeks:

BPVlastuinFBTarrantBPBalta
HBBakerCHBGrimesHBRioli
WMcintoshCHopperWPickett
HFBoltonCHFLynchHFMartin
FPRioli JnrFFRiewoldtFPCumberland
RuckNankervisRRTarantoRPrestia
B1BroadB2GibcusB3Cotchin
B4MillerSubSonsie
EM 1GrahamEM 2RossEM 3Short
EM 4RalphsmithEM 5Soldo

I put Miller on the bench, I really liked what I saw in 2022, he has played back in the VFL, he played in the ruck for us in 2022 and I believe he could even push forward if the need ever happens. I think he has gone ahead of Soldo and offers us more around the ground for that reason.

It's tough because I really like Soldo but not sure if he is the same player since his knee reco.

Shorty is another one, I feel like we have to give the likes of Cumberland and MJ a go in our 22 and this guy gets squeezed out, wasn't sold on his form in 2022, thought his impact wasn't at the same level as previous seasons, felt he kept his place because we had no depth. I think you would pick Baker, Rioli(17) and Pickett ahead of him for that rebounding role atm.

Ross & Sonsie, I really want to see us get games into these guys but who goes out? Cotchin plays because we asked him to go one more and you can't deny a champion who has given so much to our club for one more crack at it. With Taranto and Hopper coming in, it really does make it tougher for these guys to get a game but geez its tough. However, these 2 guys are needs and the last thing we want is to lose them to another team due to limited opportunities.

Graham, I feel like he will get pushed out and he kind of knew it over the off season with the recruitment of Taranto and Hopper, however he is still a bull and much required player especially if we cop some injuries, but I just can't see him squeezing into the 22 at the start of the season.

Man, how tough is it going to be to crack a game with a healthy list, I tried to put our best side on the park but geez a few players will be stiff, will definitely come down to opposition match ups some weeks:

BPVlastuinFBTarrantBPBalta
HBBakerCHBGrimesHBRioli
WMcintoshCHopperWPickett
HFBoltonCHFLynchHFMartin
FPRioli JnrFFRiewoldtFPCumberland
B1BroadB2GibcusB3Cotchin
B4MillerSubSonsie
EM 1GrahamEM 2RossEM 3Short
EM 4RalphsmithEM 5Soldo

I put Miller on the bench, I really liked what I saw in 2022, he has played back in the VFL, he played in the ruck for us in 2022 and I believe he could even push forward if the need ever happens. I think he has gone ahead of Soldo and offers us more around the ground for that reason.

It's tough because I really like Soldo but not sure if he is the same player since his knee reco.

Shorty is another one, I feel like we have to give the likes of Cumberland and MJ a go in our 22 and this guy gets squeezed out, wasn't sold on his form in 2022, thought his impact wasn't at the same level as previous seasons, felt he kept his place because we had no depth. I think you would pick Baker, Rioli(17) and Pickett ahead of him for that rebounding role atm.

Ross & Sonsie, I really want to see us get games into these guys but who goes out? Cotchin plays because we asked him to go one more and you can't deny a champion who has given so much to our club for one more crack at it. With Taranto and Hopper coming in, it really does make it tougher for these guys to get a game but geez its tough. However, these 2 guys are needs and the last thing we want is to lose them to another team due to limited opportunities.

Graham, I feel like he will get pushed out and he kind of knew it over the off season with the recruitment of Taranto and Hopper, however he is still a bull and much required player especially if we cop some injuries, but I just can't see him squeezing into the 22 at the start of the season.
Short gets a run before Kmac and Sonsie (and I love Sonsie, who I think will play, but this is in response to your team). And we won't have two defenders on the bench, so only one of Broad and Gibcus get a game.

Something like this maybe at Rounds 1-5

BPVlastuinFBTarrantBPGrimes
HBBroadCHBBaltaHBRioli
WShortCHopperWPickett
HFBoltonCHFLynchHFCumberland
FPMartinFFRiewoldtFPCotchin
B1BakerB2Rioli JnrB3Sonsie
B4MillerSubRoss
EM 1GibcusEM 2RalphsmithEM 3McIntosh
EM 4DowEM 5Soldo

By rounds 18-23

I could See Gibcus replacing Tarrant
I could see a forward set up that doesn't include Riewoldt, using either Miller or Cumberland and second KF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back