STARTING 22 FOR 2023 - TOUGH DECISIONS TO BE MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

What we cannot afford to do is carry premiership legends if their form drops away. It cost us games last year, and ladder position at the pointy end. The match committee seemed to get it later in the season last year. I am hoping they have not forgotten the lesson because in addition to games and ladder position it may cost us some young players if they are not getting opportunities they should be given.

Something like this maybe at Rounds 1-5

BPVlastuinFBTarrantBPGrimes
HBBroadCHBBaltaHBRioli
WShortCHopperWPickett
HFBoltonCHFLynchHFCumberland
FPMartinFFRiewoldtFPCotchin
RuckNankervisRRTarantoRPrestia
B1BakerB2Rioli JnrB3Sonsie
B4MillerSubRoss
EM 1GibcusEM 2RalphsmithEM 3McIntosh
EM 4DowEM 5Soldo

By rounds 18-23

I could See Gibcus replacing Tarrant
I could see a forward set up that doesn't include Riewoldt, using either Miller or Cumberland and second KF

Taz is a lock I would think. He takes the monsters, and Gibbo can't do that - yet. But we want to play Gibcus.

JR is likely to stay because he adds so much aside from kicking goals. If he falls off a cliff then Ok, goneski. But I suspect that if we are functioning better this year he will improve not slide.

i can see us trying Balta/Gibcus forward. With maybe Miller getting a shot as well. If any worked then that might push Jack out. But he is a hard man to replace - still extremely valuable.

My Best 23 for Round 1 v Carlton

B - Broad - Tarrant - Grimes
HB - Rioli - Balta - Vlastuin
C- Pickett - Hopper - McIntosh
HF - Martin - Riewoldt - Bolton
FF - Rioli (jnr) - Lynch - Cumberland
R - Nankervis - Prestia - Taranto
Int - Cotchin - Short - Baker - Graham - Miller (sub)

Emerg: Soldo - Ross - Sonsie - HRS - Gibcus

FB: Gibcus Balta Grimes
HB: D.Rioli Vlastuin Broad
C: McIntosh Hopper Pickett
HF: Martin Lynch Bolton
FF: Cumbo Riewoldt M.Rioli
Foll: Nank Taranto Prestia
Int: Short Miller Sonsie Baker
Sub: Cotchin

Taz is a lock I would think. He takes the monsters, and Gibbo can't do that - yet. But we want to play Gibcus.

JR is likely to stay because he adds so much aside from kicking goals. If he falls off a cliff then Ok, goneski. But I suspect that if we are functioning better this year he will improve not slide.

i can see us trying Balta/Gibcus forward. With maybe Miller getting a shot as well. If any worked then that might push Jack out. But he is a hard man to replace - still extremely valuable.
If Taz was out, Balta takes the Gorilla's IMO, but I can't see us playing all of Grimes, Balta, Taz, Gibcus and Broad in a defensive 7.... So someone misses (provided there's no injury).

You comments around JR I would've agreed with on most year, but I thought the drop off already started last year if I'm being honest.
Yes he kicked his 40 goals in the end, and yes some of his goals in the final were clutch...
But there were a few games last year, that as soon as the ball hit the deck, he was a liability, in an area that used to be his strength compared to KPD's
I said it last year, and I hope it happens this year, maybe he plays 3 then misses 1 all year so he is fresh come finals, but I worry that cliff is fast approaching and that his goal tally last year hid some of his lower performances.

If Taz was out, Balta takes the Gorilla's IMO, but I can't see us playing all of Grimes, Balta, Taz, Gibcus and Broad in a defensive 7.... So someone misses (provided there's no injury).

You comments around JR I would've agreed with on most year, but I thought the drop off already started last year if I'm being honest.
Yes he kicked his 40 goals in the end, and yes some of his goals in the final were clutch...
But there were a few games last year, that as soon as the ball hit the deck, he was a liability, in an area that used to be his strength compared to KPD's
I said it last year, and I hope it happens this year, maybe he plays 3 then misses 1 all year so he is fresh come finals, but I worry that cliff is fast approaching and that his goal tally last year hid some of his lower performances.
Agree re backs. Gibcus has given us too many good tall/ish backs.

JR needs to find a new spot in the forward set up. At times he was great, at times nowhere. Hopefully they have learnt and we can use his smarts and skills.

The 22 that gets on the park changes by about 5 every year. Rd 1 22. Grimes, Soldo, Dion, George, Aarts, Graham weren't there for the final. (Edwards sub)
3 dropped on form./structure 3 injured.
2023 Round 1 I see TT & JH as new names and Grimes & Prestia return to the side. Grimes for Tarrant/Gibcus/Broad.
TT, JH.DP for Ross, Sonz, Short.

Current Structure of one ruck and new look small fwds. seems a start for 2023.

So if required INs are A KPD, Ross, Sonz, Short.

Last edited:
What we cannot afford to do is carry premiership legends if their form drops away. It cost us games last year, and ladder position at the pointy end. The match committee seemed to get it later in the season last year. I am hoping they have not forgotten the lesson because in addition to games and ladder position it may cost us some young players if they are not getting opportunities they should be given.
Yeah the carrying of stars like Sheda to 300 games is a tricky one...I applaud the Club in helping players like Sheda reach the 300 game mile mark but like it showed in last year's finals campaign it certainly cost us games and ladder position... I think we just have to wear that one collectively...If the team's good enough it will both win and carry Champs to 300 games! I certainly would like to see both Chimp and JR8 get their as well. They deserve the 300 game chance being Club Legends. It certainly sends a message to one and all including the oppo we value our Champs the right way...reinforcing our Club culture. Even when a Club Champ falls away like Sheda did! Hopefully both Chimp and JR8 still contribute to Club success this year and not drop off the perch!

Yeah the carrying of stars like Sheda to 300 games is a tricky one...I applaud the Club in helping players like Sheda reach the 300 game mile mark but like it showed in last year's finals campaign it certainly cost us games and ladder position... I think we just have to wear that one collectively...If the team's good enough it will both win and carry Champs to 300 games! I certainly would like to see both Chimp and JR8 get their as well. They deserve the 300 game chance being Club Legends. It certainly sends a message to one and all including the oppo we value our Champs the right way...reinforcing our Club culture. Even when a Club Champ falls away like Sheda did! Hopefully both Chimp and JR8 still contribute to Club success this year and not drop off the perch!
Dimma also waited too long before dropping a terribly out of form Castagna.

But things like that must be made and our champs need to be respected and carried sometimes
Thats what makes great clubs and instills loyalty into the younger kids

Still remember "Carrying Bruce Monteath"

Sheds was Sub by the final.
JR is already over 300 games. Cotch regained fitness and form and needs half a season, 13 games. JR is not injury prone and not No 1 KPF anymore so we can carry him. Still got good distance on his kicking.

Last year we were barely in the 8 so carrying Sheds wasn't costing a flag. I expect to be winning more in 2023 and Cotch can't play forward as well as JH & TT so if are winning like we should be, Cotch & JR have to going for flag No 4.

Cotch more time on the bench? His effort in the final wasn't great.

Dimma also waited too long before dropping a terribly out of form Castagna.
On reflection...a bit of Harry Hindsight here...I reckon if Dimma had his time all over again...georgie would be flicked!
Rather than carping on about 300 games to a champ cost us...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Best 23 for Round 1 v Carlton

B - Broad - Tarrant - Grimes
HB - Rioli - Balta - Vlastuin
C- Pickett - Hopper - McIntosh
HF - Martin - Riewoldt - Bolton
FF - Rioli (jnr) - Lynch - Cumberland
R - Nankervis - Prestia - Taranto
Int - Cotchin - Short - Baker - Graham - Miller (sub)

Emerg: Soldo - Ross - Sonsie - HRS - Gibcus
GRAHAM i don't think so toe, hammy, foot and shoulder problems have really restricted his preseasons throughout his career. Ross surely ahead of him now until jack can string together at least 3 big games at VFL level and i don't give me any of this 'credits in the bank' baloney. hindsight we don't have. but i hope we dont make those blunders again....yes we shot ourselves in the foot in a lot of last quarters but we also shot ourselves in the foot at the selection table.

GRAHAM i don't think so toe, hammy, foot and shoulder problems have really restricted his preseasons throughout his career. Ross surely ahead of him now until jack can string together at least 3 big games at VFL level and i don't give me any of this 'credits in the bank' baloney. hindsight we don't have. but i hope we dont make those blunders again....yes we shot ourselves in the foot in a lot of last quarters but we also shot ourselves in the foot at the selection table.
Still nearly 9 weeks to go before Round 1 and he has started running and is in his 7th year in 2023 with 6 pre seasons under his belt and is a running beast. Wont take him long to get back upto speed

Wont write him off for round 1 just yet but either Ross / Sonsie / HRS would be adequate replacements

Reckon this will the the R1 team, injuries permitting.

FB: Tarrant, Grimes, Vlastuin
HB: Rioli, Balta, Short
C: Pickett, Hopper, McIntosh
HF: Bolton, Lynch, Dusty
FF: Cumberland, Riewoldt, MRJ
R: Nankervis, Prestia, Taranto
I/C: Cotchin, Miller, Broad, Baker
Sub: Sonsie
Emg: Graham, Ross, Ryan, Ralphsmith

FBVlastuinTarrantGrimes
HBShortGibcusRioli
CPickettPrestiaRalphsmith
FTaranto (Rotating)BaltaBolton (Rotating)
FFCumberlandLynchMRJ
FollHopperMartinNank
BenchCotchinBakerSonsieMiller

Broad, Balta, Grimes
D.Rioli, Tarrant, Vlastuin
McIntosh, Tarranto, Pickett
Cumberland, Riewoldt, Bolton
Martin, Lynch, M.Rioli
Nankervis, Hopper, Prestia

Miller, Gibcus, Cotchin, Baker, Sonsie

Good depth this year...for me the key point is if we can somehow have Prestia fit for the last 8-10 weeks of the season (an injury is inevitable)...also worried a bit about Lynch's durability...not convinced with either winger but it is what it is...slight feeling the defence is a bit on the tall side although both Grimes and Broad can play small...don't like not having Gibcus and Sonsie in the 22...second ruck is a concern as is Riewoldt's continued decline...praying Dusty's 2022 was an anamoly and that he'll at least be close to his best this year.

Hurts leaving guys like Short and Graham out altogether but with how things developed last season plus the new arrivals someone has to miss out.

This year really is about how we can play the kids when we have so many experienced, talented depth all over the ground. I really want to see Ryan, Banks, Brown and Clarke in the team but with players such as Sonsie, Graham, Short, Ross, Soldo, Castagna and even Gibcus currently struggling to hold their spots. it's going to have to be a choice based on development rather than performance it would seem. It will all depend on what our priority is this year as to which way the scales tip - wins for the now or development for the future. I'm feeling that we are all in for the now this year.

So, with that in mind, here's my team -

FB: Balta, Tarrant, Baker
HB: D.Rioli, Grimes, Vlastuin
C: McIntosh, Hopper, Pickett
HF: Cumberland, Riewoldt, Taranto
FF: Martin, Lynch, M.Rioli

Foll: Nankervis, Prestia, Bolton

Bench: Miller, Cotchin, Short, Broad
Sub: Ralph-Smith

Our backline looks strong with Grimes, Flossy, Tarrant and Balta working together to shut down the mid and tall sized forwards. Baker is our sweeper and D. Rioli our run off the backline.

Hopper, Taranto, Prestia, Cotchin, Bolton, Short and Martin will all be rotating through the middle forming one of the strongest midfields in the league. Graham and Ross are excellent depth here too. Nank is our workhorse ruckman with Miller the versatile backup. I hate that I haven't been able to fit in Sonsie but I think he's still not in front of Short and Cotch just at the moment. He's young, so some time playing with the other talented younger players at VFL won't hurt.

Up forward we're looking particularly strong with Lynch and Jack still the focus. Jack is more of a decoy now days but can still get off the leash if he is not shown the respect he demands. Cumberland is our next target, who can play as a marking option but also an opportunist crumber. Dusty is our X-Factor and also creates opportunities for others both through his presence and his smarts. M.Rioli is our pressure who pops up to kick the odd goal too.

I chose Ralph-Smith over Sonsie (atm) for the Sub because of his run and carry, which is crucial as the game progresses, space opens up and players get tired plus he can play as a forward or back if required. He could easily take the wing role, allowing McIntosh to go back if injuries occur too.

Anyway, I can't remember a stronger line up. If our aging stars can stay on the park, I can't see up winning another one on 2023!

Last edited:
This year really is about how we can play the kids when we have so many experienced, talented depth all over the ground. I really want to see Ryan, Banks, Brown and Clarke in the team but with players such as Ralph-Smith, Graham, Short, Ross, Soldo, Castagna and even Gibcus currently struggling to hold their spots. it's going to have to be a choice based on development rather than performance it would seem. It will all depend on what our priority is this year as to which way the scales tip - wins for the now or development for the future. I'm feeling that we are all in for the now this year.

So, with that in mind, here's my team -

FB: Broad, Tarrant, Baker
HB: D.Rioli, Grimes, Vlastuin
C: McIntosh, Hopper, Pickett
HF: Cumberland, Riewoldt, Taranto
FF: Martin, Lynch, M.Rioli

Foll: Nankervis, Prestia, Bolton

Bench: Miller, Cotchin, Short, Sonsie
Sub: Ralph-Smith

Our backline looks strong with Grimes, Flossy, Tarrant and Broad working together to shut down the mid and tall sized forwards. Baker is our sweeper and D. Rioli our run off the backline.

Hopper, Taranto, Prestia, Cotchin, Bolton, Short, Sonsie and Martin will all be rotating through the middle forming one of the strongest midfields in the league. Graham and Ross are excellent depth here too. Nank is our workhorse ruckman with Miller the versatile backup.

Up forward we're looking particularly strong with Lynch and Jack still the focus. Jack is more of a decoy now days but can still get off the leash if he is not shown the respect he demands. Cumberland is our next target, who can play as a marking option but also an opportunist crumber. Dusty is our X-Factor and also creates opportunities for others both through his presence and his smarts. M.Rioli is our pressure who pops up to kick the odd goal too.

I chose Ralph-Smith for the Sub because of his run and carry, which is crucial as the game progresses, space opens up and players get tired plus he can play as a forward or back if required. He could easily take the wing role, allowing McIntosh to go back if injuries occur too.

Anyway, I can't remember a stronger line up. If our aging stars can stay on the park, I can't see up winning another one on 2023!
Good looking side and can see the thinking behind it. Two points I'd make:
1. Where is Balta?
2. I hope personally with the additions to our midfield, that Shorty now no longer needs to go in there (liability - was way out of his depth imo).

Balta forward was the ongoing joke in here preseason 22, I haven't looked at other posts here in 23, please tell me everyone has him DOWN BACK!!!

The luxury of being able to pick 19 players without even batting an eyelid is testament to our depth this year. I'm sure this lineup will change according to form. Cotchin, Riewoldt, Tarrant and maybe Grimes will all be rested throughout the year, The only real questions I have this preseason are, can Dusty & Grimes reach their peak again? how well (and quickly) Taranto & Hopper will fit into our system and lastly can M.Rioli, Cumberland & Miller backup their stellar 2022 seasons

Broad, Tarrant, Grimes
Vlastuin, Balta, D.Rioli
KMac, Hopper, Pickett
Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
M.Rioli, Lynch, Cumberland
Nank, Taranto, Prestia
Cotchin, Short, Baker, Miller SUB: Graham

only 4 spots including the sub I can see up for grabs right not
Pickett or Ralphsmith/Banks?, Graham or Sonsie/Ross?, Miller or Soldo/Ryan?, Tarrant* or Gibcus?

Broad.....Taz......Grimes
Vlas.......Balta....DRioli
KMac.....Hopper..Pickett
Martino..Lynch....Bolts
Jnr........JR8.......Cumbersome

Nank....Tarrants..Meatball

Sonz....Ross...Miller...Baker...Chimp

Good looking side and can see the thinking behind it. Two points I'd make:
1. Where is Balta?
2. I hope personally with the additions to our midfield, that Shorty now no longer needs to go in there (liability - was way out of his depth imo).

Balta forward was the ongoing joke in here preseason 22, I haven't looked at other posts here in 23, please tell me everyone has him DOWN BACK!!!
Fixed! Meant Sonsie needed to move out of the team, which I hate, but I can't see how they would play him over Short just yet. Might be wrong but he still has plenty of development and upside that can be built at VFL level.

Fixed! Meant Sonsie needed to move out of the team, which I hate, but I can't see how they would play him over Short just yet. Might be wrong but he still has plenty of development and upside that can be built at VFL level.
I can’t believe MRJ is a lock in everyone’s team and Sonsie left out. I am hoping MRJ keeps improving and hopefully becomes an out an out star but his spot is no certainty. MRJ applies great pressure but still is not getting enough possessions. Sonsie is much better in this area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back