What are your issues (if any) with the Swans board? [Poll closes 31/8/18]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's it I am off too.

To the club that is.

Let everyone cool off over the weekend. Win will sort it out. Loss will make it more interesting.

It is just the internet. And all the internet is good for is cat videos and pr0n. Not necessarily in that order either.

To the club that is.

Let everyone cool off over the weekend. Win will sort it out. Loss will make it more interesting.

It is just the internet. And all the internet is good for is cat videos and pr0n. Not necessarily in that order either.
You reallyare "that guy" aren't you mate? Hahaha.

To the club that is.

I really do enjoy one of those things and the Swans board.

I spent over 2 years lurking before I joined this board. I enjoy the discourse, the diversity of opinion and the passion we all feel for our team.

This discussion shouldn't make anyone feel threatened, but it should make you think.

I for one don't expect us to all agree with each other, dear god that would be boring.

I respect your right to believe the umpires are all biased cheats, just I will happily bring up on occasion our 2 year trade ban of mystery. No doubt both of these opinions drive other posters up the wall! And what some view as negativity, others will just as passionately believe its honest review of our teams issues and is needed.

Its all a matter of opinion.

But as GotTheGoodes put it so succinctly earlier on in this thread, respect and empathy go a long way, and I feel that has been lacking of late.

I guess for myself anyway that if I didn’t enjoy the board and the company as weird as that sounds I wouldn’t be on here

Dont mind the game day threads for the 2s and seniors

Would rather talk s**t on here than talk s**t to myself

You are a character and a passionate poster always fun to banter with you.

I guess for myself anyway that if I didn’t enjoy the board and the company as weird as that sounds I wouldn’t be on here

Dont mind the game day threads for the 2s and seniors

Would rather talk s**t on here than talk s**t to myself
Where else can I whine about Eddie!

Probably going against the grain here, I for one don't see negativity on the board as an actual problem. Some people have a genuinely negative outlook on how the team, players, coaching is performing and the direction the club is travelling. If that's their honest opinion then they should post it. If the board doesn't look balanced then it means we need more people with a positive view of the club expressing their opinions and bouncing counter-arguments off the more critical folks which would provide a more diverse range of viewpoints. That's the point of the board, to discuss the Sydney Swans football club - good, bad and everything in between. Combat negative posts with positive counter-arguments.

One thing we can change is to cut the posts that bypass the argument, just because someone is posting in favour of the club, a player or coach doesn't mean they are accepting of mediocrity, don't want the club to improve, ignorant about footy etc. By the same token just because someone is posting some negative views about aspects of the club doesn't mean they hate the club or are a s**t supporter. These posts don't add anything and take the discussion nowhere.

Just need to be mindful that people use the forum for different things, some just to vent some emotion on game day while watching, some to have a bit of banter, some to criticise and analyse the team, others to cheer the club on. There's going to be some personality clashes on here, I guess that's part of what makes the place interesting. Remember that whatever reason they post, other posters have just as much of a right to be here as you do. If you really can't engage with someone in a civil manner there's always the ignore function on bigfooty, don't let the posting styles of others diminish your experience of the board.

As an aside, happy to see mostly people are being candid and constructive with their views. Given the purpose of the thread is to canvas some opinions we're trying to leave it unfiltered as much as possible, even if views are unpopular. As stated, no targeting of individuals, keep it constructive and relevant to the present not issues from the past, and maintain a reasonable level of decorum.

I roam around other clubs boards a fair bit and you can see the range of personalities on all of them, so ours is no different, just superior!

I'm quite ok with how the board works, we will have different opinions, sometimes significantly different, we all need to understand that like tasting wine, no one is correct and no one is wrong, it's all opinion.

I would like targeting the poster to cease, have a different opinion but agree to disagree or add some substance and facts to bolster your opinion not try and ridicule and howl down a differing one. In many cases posters aren't really au fait with the nuances of list management, draft etc, help by explaining in a friendly fashion how it works.

Emotions after losses are often way off beam, if you look at results through a season/s, there's always unexplained losses, they just happen. Before posting always remember, it's never as good as it seems, it's never as bad as it seems.

This club has done a remarkable job for over 20 years staying at the pointy end of the pack. We need to realise that there has to be lesser seasons now and again, just accept them, there are positives like draft position, next years draw and longer off season break. At least we are not supporters of lost generation clubs like Carlton, Essendon, saints etc.

So stay positive, treat fellow posters as they should be treated and Go Swans!

Personally I have no issues with the Board or any posters. Every now and then I will be irked by something a poster has written, but I figure it is good for me to be irked now and then.

Generally I have found posts to be thoughtful and often passionate. There is a difference between teasing/taking the pi55 and just dumping on someone. As a newcomer here I have have observed that different views are treated seriously.

I would be most disappointed if any person older than a six year old stopped posting because of this thread or umbrage being taken.

Ummm ... so ok six year olds can post as long as they are supervised by a responsible adult.

Long time lurker, very occasional poster - when I just can't help myself..;-). I don't think my two bob should be taken too much into account as I will never be a major poster - just find social media too aggresive, negative and the Swans Board is no exception, but definitely not the worse. At times I find it nastier than other times and tend to bow out for while (definitely after a loss;-). I also think there are a few posters who seem to want to moderate without being the moderators and assert their higher knowledge of the game - probably based on being bloody knowledgeable about the game but frankly so what... happy to read all opinions as long as its not disrespectful to the club, our coach and players. On the other side love the posters that keep it humourous, realistic and play the game not the person.

The complaints kirkswan mentions happen on any forum I've been involved with.

There is an ignore button that can be utilised.

The only thing I'd say that could be tweaked is the use of personal insults.. such as calling another poster a dumb campaigner, an idiot, stupid.
It's not neccessary and discourages people from posting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The complaints kirkswan mentions happen on any forum I've been involved with.

There is an ignore button that can be utilised.

The only thing I'd say that could be tweaked is the use of personal insults.. such as calling another poster a dumb campaigner, an idiot, stupid.
It's not neccessary and discourages people from posting

Very few personal insults around IMLTHO. But yep they should be avoided.

I think Cloud got it right elsewhere in this thread where some times people get locked into intractable positions - eg posters who seemingly defend the Club, coach and every player V posters who seemingly are hyper critical of the Club, the Mule and Rohan/Towers/Foote/player burdened with the cursed surname.

False dichotomies that produce sterile positioning but not debate.

Meh, it is what it is.

It’s the internet.

On the game day threads, it’s people saying on the internet the same sort of things they’d shout to no-one in particular at the game (or to the inanimate TV if they were watching at home), but the difference being that it’s going out to the whole world in text form. Nothing should be taken to heart.

Personally don’t think the Swans board is in the most scintillating form right now, but that’s nothing new. Ebbs and flows. It could become a sparkling source of entertainment and insight again in no time at all, but I doubt we can force it.

I’m a busy parent with limited time. Preview threads are mind-numbing to me when the talk is all about match-ups in particular. I’m sure I’m not the only one to say I struggle to even keep track of who our players are, and have no time whatsoever to learn anything about opposition players.

So in those instances I have nothing whatsoever to contribute. More than once I’ve tried to lighten my own boredom by throwing in some flippancy. Throw the book at me but I honestly have NFI who most of these oppo players are. Still love me Swans.

Interesting discussion. Thanks for raising it Kirkswan.

One more point, about tribalism. Just because we all follow the same team, it shouldn’t automatically follow that we all get on fine. One of the themes of this discussion has been about people having a go at each other simply for having different opinions.

(But interestingly, I had a look at my Ignore list. Probably a couple of dozen on it all up. All but one were non-Swans supporters.)

Anyway, there’s a few random thoughts. Go the Swans!

Last edited:
Having been on the receiving end of the weird “acronym as insult” treatment on this board, and then finding out what the acronym meant—all for the crime of expressing an opinion—I thought it was some kind of hazing ritual for newcomers. Pretty offputting, to say the least, and makes a mockery of the “we’re all on the same team” crap...

Bigfooty is like a garage sale. From a distance it looks interesting, up close it's just a whole lot of s**t you don't need.

That doesn't mean that one should not stop and take a look or that one should not purchase something or things that catches ones eye.

Bigfooty is like a garage sale. From a distance it looks interesting, up close it's just a whole lot of s**t you don't need.

That doesn't mean that one should not stop and take a look or that one should not purchase something or things that catches ones eye.
Haven't seen you around for a while. Good to see you engage again.

It's fine. The balance between pessimism and optimism is ok, so it's not an unbalanced board.

I definitely enjoyed the site more when I first joined. It was something new and was good to talk footy considering barely any of my friends or work colleagues followed the Swans or the AFL in general. Plus I had way more time as a uni student.

I've lost interest over the last few years but still post semi frequently. Losing interest is mainly due to my life beyond the forum, not because of it. The same reasons as others, I got married, had a kid and priorities change. I'm sure it's the same for a lot of posters across all forums.

Stephen Hocking is looking into our board, he feels the current state of the board is somewhat detracting form the spectacle the board should be and is looking for a way to increase the amount of posting we are seeing, with posting seemingly at the lowest levels seen in some time.
Apparently, one of the changes he is looking at is introducing a 6-6-6 rule, that is, at any one time, you will be allowed to have 6 negative posters, 6 positive posters and 6 posters who simply dont give a f@#$ on the forum at a time. He feels this should encourage more open posting and eliminate the congestion that builds up when all the posters share the same view. There are critics to these changes, some feel they should be trialed first, perhaps in the main board thread where others are not so sure as they believe the posting will evolve on its own, as has happened throughout posting history and there is no need to artificially tinker with the rules to generate a desired outcome. Others are questioning whether this balanced posting approach is actually good posting, I mean, who is to say balanced posting is the best type of posting, some of the best posting threads I have seen have been very biased view posts and proved very enjoyably. This free flowing balanced posting concept will turn posting into a game of touch posting meaning we will lose some of the best aspects and best exponents of posting.

Overall, with the last few weeks of posting delivering a high quality, fast paced and variable viewpoints on many subjects, there are now calls to leave the posting alone, because as Dimmer said, "you have to be careful what you wish for"

Clearly, I don't understand this thread.

Haven't seen you around for a while. Good to see you engage again.

Thanks Kapanis.

FWIW...
I don't blame individual posters for the negativity, I blame the 2014 GF side for the negativity. Bastards.

I hope that this forum doesn't follow in the footsteps of the AFL and try to find a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Like everything in life, this forum is what you make of it.

Only problem I have is the unwarranted disrespect for players and coaches of this team and even more so for other teams. But its like this on all boards in this whole site. Tribal warfare at its finest i guess...

Great to see a few of the quieter posters/lurkers bob up & give an open & honest opinion. I'm sure that was one of the goals of the thread.

Hopefully you all feel welcome & appreciated to post as you see fit moving forward. I for one really enjoy reading differing thought processes & viewpoints on here about the club. The more posters, the more divergent & interesting the conversation IMO.

Stephen Hocking is looking into our board, he feels the current state of the board is somewhat detracting form the spectacle the board should be and is looking for a way to increase the amount of posting we are seeing, with posting seemingly at the lowest levels seen in some time.
Apparently, one of the changes he is looking at is introducing a 6-6-6 rule, that is, at any one time, you will be allowed to have 6 negative posters, 6 positive posters and 6 posters who simply dont give a f@#$ on the forum at a time. He feels this should encourage more open posting and eliminate the congestion that builds up when all the posters share the same view. There are critics to these changes, some feel they should be trialed first, perhaps in the main board thread where others are not so sure as they believe the posting will evolve on its own, as has happened throughout posting history and there is no need to artificially tinker with the rules to generate a desired outcome. Others are questioning whether this balanced posting approach is actually good posting, I mean, who is to say balanced posting is the best type of posting, some of the best posting threads I have seen have been very biased view posts and proved very enjoyably. This free flowing balanced posting concept will turn posting into a game of touch posting meaning we will lose some of the best aspects and best exponents of posting.

Overall, with the last few weeks of posting delivering a high quality, fast paced and variable viewpoints on many subjects, there are now calls to leave the posting alone, because as Dimmer said, "you have to be careful what you wish for"

Clearly, I don't understand this thread.
Thanks Kapanis.

FWIW...
I don't blame individual posters for the negativity, I blame the 2014 GF side for the negativity. Bastards.

I hope that this forum doesn't follow in the footsteps of the AFL and try to find a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Like everything in life, this forum is what you make of it.
There will be no rule changes by me, I'm just a pleb! And I don't think the mods have the clout for that either. It's a health check, that's all. Just a place to voice your opinion and have it known by all.

I started it for exactly the reason I said in the OP, which is are current posters happy, why are other posters leaving and encourage lurkers to participate!

PS. Welcome back Number37! Haven't see you on here in ages...

Great to see a few of the quieter posters/lurkers bob up & give an open & honest opinion. I'm sure that was one of the goals of the thread.
On another positive note from me, I saw a number of new and/or very rare posters in this week's game day thread. That was fantastic and I hope it continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back