CJH

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2000
Belgrave
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Listening to Garry Lyon on 3AW this year, he had commmented on numerous occasions that the Richmond supporters are by far the loudest of all the clubs. This stems from the culture of ferocious passion that we have.

Culture can be defined loosely as 'learned behaviour' and I've always thought the culture of the football supporter to be a funny thing.

We all exist happily within the Australian culture, and with the subtly different sub-cultures within our respective cities.

How is it then, when we put on our respective tribal colours for out weekly sabbatical, that we exhibit remarkably different behaviours.

My perception of the culture of the supporters of respective clubs are:

Richmond: Passionate, LOUD, not beyond turning on our own.

The team has often been defined by this passion. Danny Frawley is trying to add method to this definition. Once the passion of the supporter is running in parrallel with the passion and method of the team, this we will be a serious threat.

Absolutely demanding of success. This may well have been to our detriment over the past 2 decades. We have been demanding success NOW, and have been too ruthless when it doesn't come our way. This may well be why we have gone through so many coaches during this period. In a way, it is cutting off our noses to spite our face.

Carlton & Essendon: Arrogant.

Collingwood: Seems to attract the sub-intellectual sections of society. Clinging to a long since gone glorious past. Losers.

Geelong: So damn polite!

Adelaide: Suffering from little man's disease. Have an inferiority complex.

St Kilda: Seem to have a losers mindset. Seem to accept defeat more readily. Tragic.

Melbourne: Tweed Jackets with leather arm patches, tartan rugs, Range Rovers. Attendance figures drop off during snow season.

North Melbourne: Too few to make any impression.

Doggies: Same as North.

Sydney: I think there supporters now look at the fate of Fitzroy and thank their lucky stars that they are still alive and well.

Hawthorn: Some of there supporters still can't grasp that their golden era is well and truly over. Others are similar to Sydney and appreciate that they were so close to losing their team.

It is hard to comment on other interstate teams as they are in too few numbers at Melbourne games. Perhaps some other correspondents can contribute here?

Eagles:Arrogant, lack loyalty, back stabbers, 2 faced and above all unable to accept defeat.Products of the fact that the eagles have had it so good for so long

Dockers:Considering their total number of members one of the loudest supporters going around, die hard, tough and above all no club has as loyal supporters as these.Products of the fact that the dockers have had it so bad for so long.

And some people call me biased
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

sabre I love your comments about the eagle swine. the rest I'll ignore.
I think "supporter culture" is an oxymoron, but then,... are Chardonnay sipping rsoles a culture?

dont know about pies fans being 'losers'
losers are to me 'fans' who abandon teams and dont turn up when there team is losing every week.

We may ne the 'losers' but you cannot question our committment to attending games when the chips are down...
AND 1 premiership in 42 years, yet still over 30000 memebers each year, thats not clinging to the past mate, thats just passion.

TAKE NOTE- tigers, demons and essendon fans..

re polite handbag supporters
My only trip to Kardinia Park was in the earlyish 80s, the mighty Saints were flogging the pussy cats, at three q time lots of geelong fans were leaving & I was practising being an obnoxious, rude young prick when this bloke looked me in the eye and asked if it was him that I thought might be taking his handbag home?
The bastard was two steps down the terrace & was a f*ing giant! Thank christ I wasn't at vic pk or windy hill, polite pussy cays will do me anyday.

Yeah. Much easier to sit at home and watch on TV, hey Sandie.
Ah, how romantic. A wombat, a packet of Tim-Tams, and the Timbuktoo Bombers on the Box.

Nothing idiotic about Bomber supporters, eh Sandie.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Brisbane: Laid back to the point of falling over. Loved the Essendon game at the Gabba last year - 20% of Bombers supporters screaming their guts out, gesturing at Lions supporters, thumping their chests. The other 80% had been living up here for more than 6 weeks and concentrated on cheering on their side, not on arrogant posturing. You have to go with the flow when you are in a city that could actually live without Aussie Rules.

Bluey you are letting your colours show, Lions supporter hey, I was right. Cool.
Nothing wrong with the Lions Bluey unless they beat us.

------------------
Mantis

The reason tiger fans are loud is coz the cops don’t chuck there piss heads out of the ground!
There all pissed, swearing there heads off and threating with violence and still don’t get kicked out its ****ing amazing how the pigs favour other teams.

Perfect example of this was round 10 Collingwood V Richmond a Richmond Shithead wouldn’t shut up and wanted to start us so Joffa gotta and told him to sit down and shut up! Joffa didn’t even touch him just told him to sit down and the Richmond bandwagoner threw a footy at one of us. As well and was saying he would ****ING SMACK US so joffa told him to shut up and he got pulled over the fence by that female bitch copper! And nothing happened to the Tiger Fan!

Now See Richmond Get Special Treatment With The Coppers At The G! That’s y there the loudest

Chubbs Wanna Be Pigs Need A Pay Decrease!
There A Disgrace to ppl at the g!

Did u know they have us on video the hole time at the g and colonial its a ****ing disgrace!
Not Happy CHUBBS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mags - is they way you type the same as the way you talk or behave at these matches??

No offence, but if it is - you are lucky you aren't turfed out of every match.

It is their job to do what they are doing. Did you know you can get a huge fine or 2 weeks in jail for just saying 'f**k' in public if someone takes offence to it?

Originally posted by sandie:

Nothing wrong with the Lions.

Nothing wrong with the Lions????????
Nothing wrong with the Lions????????

OMG the players are thugs who are encouraged and even supported by their baboon of a coach to fight with the opposition. Please, don't even get me started on Matthews!

And what about Akamanis, or however you spell his stupid name, what a fine example of an Australian he portrayed to the Irish by getting into that fight. I suppose his elbow just accidently happened to connect with that Irish guys head.

Geez, nothing wrong with the Lions you say???? puhleaseeeeee

None Taken Danni!
Swans game they were kicking ppl out for giving the finger too! I was so ****ing lucky that day i didnt get chucked out!

Teddy3 - would you mind elaborating with some examples please? That is a pretty broad statement you have made, but I can't for the life of me see where it has come from.

Unless of course you are trying to re-ignite the scratching/clawing debate. Then it makes sense.

Ok, i live near brissy and go to some of the games there to keep my love for live footy alive since moving from melbourne and i will do my account on brissy supporters.

Brisbane: Someone said they were laid back which is true. They do have some good supporters but most ppl who attend at the gabba don't wear their club colours and seem to go because its socially acceptable.
But i have no problem with them and is a good experience.

Nick - have you ever seen the price of the merchandise in the so called "AFL" shop up here, attached to the Gabba? They are shocking! We have never had any competition for those prices - so most ppl just don't pay em.

Now however, there is a competitor, in the way of a small shop at Coorparoo that caters to an extremely large range of merchandise for all clubs, including the Lions. To buy the licensed jersey there is about $25 - $35 cheaper at times than the shop at the Lions.

When more people know about, you will see more colours.

I mean seriously - to buy my 7yo a jersey - with LAST years sponsor on it, instead of this years - it still cost me over $60 at the beginning of this year. Not good enough!

One thing the Lions supporters have over you Bomber0018, they don't make ilinformed generalisations like that. And they have the time and patience to enjoy the game. Laid back, as Bluey said, just not the 'i am going to kill you cause you support the oppositon' attitude towards opposition supporters in the crowd. That is what makes the difference.

Now would you care to make some actual examples without any exagerations to explain how the on average 27,000 ppl at each game at the Gabba this year, don't understand or know anything about the game please?

So Madame Bomber, you don't think Brisbane Supporters know anything about footy.
I think you must be at a different Gabba than I go to.
I have been going to the footy, all around Australia, for more years than you were probably born.
The Gabba has a terrific atmosphere, its supporters are genuine in their love of their team.They actually are interested int he whole match, being nice even when Matthew Lloyd scores a goal, if its a genuinely great grab.
Nup, what I think we have at the Gabba is good sportmanship.
None of this booing crap that happens at the G, or spitting on opposition supports kids , or abusing old ladies.
Been there done that else, I love watching footy at the Gabba.

I have to admit that you guys are totally right. I have had the pleasure of sitting next to some really nice/cool Lions supporters in my time at the footy at the GABBA and the ones who don't know what's going on are probably just the drunk ones. lol. Although, there is the odd Lions supporter who will swear and dish out abuse to opposition supporters. I guess there are supporters like that for every club though.

Shall I tell u all about the Sydney Swans Supporters!
Neah Enougth Said There Exactly Like Lions At The Gabba!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back