News Swans Talk in the Media 2019

Mick Oxlong

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
There's a huge difference between having a select few members of your family flown across the other side of the country to help out as opposed to living at home, with all of your support network & without the stress of travel, staying in unfamiliar surroundings without the family unit (inc uncles, aunties, grandparents, cousins, family friends) etc etc.

I took your post "They have facilities in Geelong for Autism. Perth isn’t the capital of all things Autistic." ... As indicating there is equivilant support in Geelong as in WA (& the inference is "suck it up" IMO).

However I agree with Heeney2Franklin, close family support (without having to hop on a plane everytime) is something that some people need & IMO it often can't happen properly without living in the same place.

I'm glad he got back home but his situation, as far as I am aware, is significantly different to that of other "go home" trade/trade proposals recently & (IMO) it would have been nice if the clubs could have facilitated his request last season. Shame they couldn't get it done.
Of course there’s a huge difference in support at home v away but if you want to play AFL football and you decide to enter the draft, you had better be damn sure that you’re prepared to play anywhere. Clubs are very professional and supportive of player welfare and they do provide the best they can with any support services. Back to Kelly, he was drafted and obligated to play at Geelong for 2 seasons and they had every right to hold him to his contract. Papley signed a contract extension of two years with a two year trigger just last year after spending ‘how many years’ in Sydney? He knew what he was doing, he just got a good ******* offer and wanted to break it...he can suck it up imo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Sometimes players need that close family support without having to hop on a plane everytime.

Its a tough one i think Geelong were shitful to hold Kelly last season he has 2 autistic children for crying out loud.

Just feels all wrong to me.
There was once a time where if you wanted to play at the highest level at all you either moved to Victoria or you missed out. I know there are things like mental health, family etc that need to be considered but at the end of the day, these kids say it's a dream come true when they're drafted, then several years in get homesick and want out. So considering it's their "dream" to play AFL, they sure seem to attach conditions to that dream when it suits them.

The King!

Chosen One
Aug 3, 2004
Backwater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
There was once a time where if you wanted to play at the highest level at all you either moved to Victoria or you missed out. I know there are things like mental health, family etc that need to be considered but at the end of the day, these kids say it's a dream come true when they're drafted, then several years in get homesick and want out. So considering it's their "dream" to play AFL, they sure seem to attach conditions to that dream when it suits them.

We have better awareness of mental health and happiness now I guess

Then there is the old well they didn’t choose to go to another state they are forced to be drafted where ever suits

I have no problem with a player who has become good enough to choose wanting out of places

But the club has to put itself first of course

I think as a rule if you sign a contract then too bad really, maybe we could introduce player and team options on contracts

I’d also be willing to see strong free agency and movement for players, but I’d have the ability for teams to trade contracted players

SGBeach

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Seems as though we are balls deep into Bennell:

what does that mean??
If Bennell chooses us, we get him as a DFA?
If he goes to the pre-season sup selection.. its the first club that bids?

Mick Oxlong

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
what does that mean??
If Bennell chooses us, we get him as a DFA?
If he goes to the pre-season sup selection.. its the first club that bids?
DFA yes, supp selection is similar to DFA except you’re just ‘free’ as you may not have been drafted before. There’s no bidding.

Ticky009

Premium Gold
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I like Jake Niall, usually sane in a sea of hysteria

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Great article. You have to laugh at the media for getting pissed off at clubs for doing what's in their own best interests as opposed to doing what will fill the media's pockets

GCB85

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Big Blood

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt

Agreed. Amazing how in footy people lose commonsense. If you decline to spend a million bucks on a 500k house you don't walk away thinking it's a failure.

Top Bottom