News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Victorians are bloody hilarious creatures. Why is this suggestion only coming up now? Why wasn’t it brought up every time a Victorian born player was lured from a non-Victorian team for less than fair value?

I hope Carlton get royally screwed in any trade that involves Cripps. After that the club can wallow and die for all I care. Just as they wanted to happen to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When Victorian clubs benefit it's tradition, when non-vic clubs benefit it's an unfair advantage.

19MAY21: In the mix for Round 10/AFL Website

The Swans have made at least three changes for each of the last five matches, so with no fresh injury concerns they may look to go into the clash against Fremantle with a settled line-up. Sam Reid and Lewis Melican are both at least a week away from returning. Young guns Errol Gulden and Braeden Campbell missed the win over Collingwood and will be out until at least the Swans’ bye in round 14. Ryan Clarke (41 disposals, three goals) and Dylan Stephens (37 disposals) continue to stand out in the VFL, but the Swans have a tough team to break into.

R9 medical sub: James Bell (unused)

Verdict: No change to starting 22. Clarke to replace Bell as medical sub. - Martin Pegan

Victorians are bloody hilarious creatures. Why is this suggestion only coming up now? Why wasn’t it brought up every time a Victorian born player was lured from a non-Victorian team for less than fair value?

I hope Carlton get royally screwed in any trade that involves Cripps. After that the club can wallow and die for all I care. Just as they wanted to happen to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vic media. Bias Victorian institutions that masquerade as national footy news. They’ve ended up like this because “journalists” like Morris, McClure, Barrett, Wilson etc have been shut out of the loop from non Victorian clubs. So now basically favour anything Victorian. Great place Victoria, lived there for over a year at one stage. Nice people. I actually didn’t mind the weather. Excellent place to go out for a meal. But when it comes to footy a decent amount are as ignorant and dumb as you’ll ever get. If Robbo, Gerard, BT, Darce etc said it on radio it must be true.

Vic media. Bias Victorian institutions that masquerade as national footy news. They’ve ended up like this because “journalists” like Morris, McClure, Barrett, Wilson etc have been shut out of the loop from non Victorian clubs. So now basically favour anything Victorian. Great place Victoria, lived there for over a year at one stage. Nice people. I actually didn’t mind the weather. Excellent place to go out for a meal. But when it comes to footy a decent amount are as ignorant and dumb as you’ll ever get. If Robbo, Gerard, BT, Darce etc said it on radio it must be true.
GFAM

Not only Vic media, they're just the largest pool. Seems to generally be parochial bias toward <insert media personality's own state/club/clubs with similar circumstances>, depends on the issue though. For general Vic bias about travel, player retention or go-home factor, I think most non-Vic personalities tend to stick together more. On things like COLA, academies, Port's jumper, knowing much about clubs/players from other states - it's a mixed bag at best. Over here in SA, Mark Ricciuto (that paragon of thoughtfulness) for example, was very much anti-COLA, has spread misinformation about academies - basically repeating Eddie's talking points. Gerard Healy, Jono Brown are much more reasonable when Swans or academies in general come up (although the latter knows much less about us) because they're connected to us/Brisbane. Though I've been pleased to hear even Vic-centric commentary teams at times this year bring up the 'would we be asking about academies if the Swans weren't doing as well' point.

Mixed experience talking to friends in SA who barrack for various SA or Vic teams. Some are reasonable, don't care about COLA, academies, understand the challenges of other clubs. Some have swallowed the anti COLA/academies talking points whole, know nothing about other clubs.

Tony Armstrong and Megan Waters on Yokayi Footy
Adam Goodes recently visited Groote Eylandt to help inspire future Indigenous leaders.

09MAY21: Lazybits/The Mongrel Punt
And now for something back on topic

I disagree. Tasmania deserves better and Carlton should move further south.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't know why you hate penguins, but they already have a team that matches their colors.

Port Adelaide and they LOVE the prison bars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20MAY21: Round 10 Previews lazybits
Last edited:
20MAY21: Lazybits/The Mongrel Punt
I really like the MP. The site tends to avoid the usual cliches and follow the herd mentality prevalent in mainstream AFL media

Case in point - the AA underrated team, which coincidentally features 2 swans.

I really like the MP. The site tends to avoid the usual cliches and follow the herd mentality prevalent in mainstream AFL media

How Callum has excelled in the mids :thumbsu:, and Hickey's consistency :thumbsu:

Swans’ burning question: Have the Swans busted the big Buddy myth?
After his side’s 2018 elimination final loss to the Giants – Sydney’s last finals appearance – John Longmire conceded there was an unhealthy “big reliance” on superstar forward Lance Franklin, adding: “We don’t want that to continue to happen, we want to change it and we’ll try and change it.” Just under three years later, boy has it changed. While Franklin is still contributing 2.6 goals per game, Isaac Heeney and Tom Papley are averaging 1.7 per outing, while Hayden McLean and Will Hayward are both adding one major each. But it’s the pressure of Hayward, Papley and Sam Wicks that is leading to more goals and an even spread of contributors. Champion Data numbers revealed on Fox Footy’s On The Couch on Monday night indicated the Swans’ were the No. 2 ranked side for forward-half pressure (181 points) but No. 1 over the past two weeks (201). Triple premiership Lion Jonathan Brown said: “Their forward group has been outstanding the last few weeks … Their pressure has been through the roof. It’s Hayward, Wicks and McLean, who’s developing into a nice forward.”

YES!!!! :D

Yeah with the gutting of the mainstream media and the rise of the AFL site as virtually the main source of news we are crying out for some fresh voices.

20MAY21: Jordan Dawson article/ABC
20MAY: Sam Naismith interview/The Age
A couple of quotes from the article...

“I just loved every minute of being back out there. It takes situations like I’ve had to really realise how much of a family club the Swans are. I knew it was there, but I didn’t really know how deep it ran until I had to rely on it. It’s like, jeez, I’ve got such a special place for this club in my heart now.

“There’s a really good vibe at the club. Even if you’re on the sidelines it’s infectious. The boys have started like a house on fire and everyone’s got this belief, which is rippling through this whole club. Everyone wants to be a part of that because it’s going to be something special.

Not directly Swans related, but I found it funny.

Carlton have been poaching interstate players for the best part of 40 years (or as long as I can remember), and now they are trying to low-ball their captain so out comes the vic media mafia in support.

Hilarious eye rolling stuff how about the 800k they used on Williams and 650k on Saad tell them both to contribute to some of keep Cripps at Carlton fund.

Can you imagine the outrage if we said that?

21MAY21: Jarrad McVeigh interview/SEN WA
What a weird interview. Spend like half the interview talking about Buddy. Logan, Hickey & Chad talk of course.

What a weird interview. Spend like half the interview talking about Buddy. Logan, Hickey & Chad talk of course.

Weird bloke , should have gone to another club

Theres an interview with Blakey on the Swans site but for some reason its only 57 seconds?

Anyone able to find the full interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back