Sydney Swans, biggest club in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe you but I just can't find it, only a claim by Cain Liddle that Carlton have 25% more supporters than Richmond "based on AFL data".
Gale said it before the Brisbane game in 2018 the rain affected one. Damien Barrett interviewed Cain Liddle recently about Carlton becoming even bigger than Richmond based on membership, attendance, profit etc... He said "I don't want to compare different clubs as they are all culturally different but based on the data I see Carlton is top 3 in supporter base in the whole AFL". His words not mine.

Gale said it before the Brisbane game in 2018 the rain affected one. Damien Barrett interviewed Cain Liddle recently about Carlton becoming even bigger than Richmond based on membership, attendance, profit etc... He said "I don't want to compare different clubs as they are all culturally different but based on the data I see Carlton is top 3 in supporter base in the whole AFL". His words not mine.

Hmmm, well they may be going off social media and fantasy footy participation and other similar metrics. Until the gate numbers prove it, I'll continue to rely on historical crowd figures which indicate Carlton and Richmond are more or less interchangeable in third & fourth place, depending on the team's showing at the time. I find it hard to believe that Carlton have grown their base significantly in the last 20 years relative to the other clubs.

Recent semi-finals/prelims at the 'G vs GWS are the purest way to measure the best supported club.

Tiges pull 90-95k
Pies pull 75-80k

sadly there is no 100k stadium in Perth for GWS to visit in a final to measure the other genuine contender, WCE.

But I suspect they would fill it as the Tigers did.

Tiges/WCE are the big baboons but no easy way to split them.

Hmmm, well they may be going off social media and fantasy footy participation and other similar metrics. Until the gate numbers prove it, I'll continue to rely on historical crowd figures which indicate Carlton and Richmond are more or less interchangeable in third & fourth place, depending on the team's showing at the time. I find it hard to believe that Carlton have grown their base significantly in the last 20 years relative to the other clubs.
Not only social media but Tv audiences data metrics etc... but what matters is not latent supporter base but who is willing to pay money for membership's, attendance....and Richmond is number one IMO.

I can’t take seriously any poll that refers to the”Richmond Tigers” “St KildaSaints”, “Hawthorn Hawks” etc - a sure sign of someone who knows very little about AFL, as they can’t distinguish between teams who formally have that style of name (Swans, WCE, GCS) and those who have a name and nickname. Suggests the writer is more familiar with rugby codes or US sports. So immediately loses credibility for me.

Yep that’s my understanding. Behind Collingwood and Essendon. In front of the Eagles and Richmond / Crows. Important to note these are based on national bases. In Vic Richmond would be much closer to Collingwood and Essendon. These clubs, with Carlton have a broader national following that explains much of the difference.

Yep that’s my understanding. Behind Collingwood and Essendon. In front of the Eagles and Richmond / Crows. Important to note these are based on national bases. In Vic Richmond would be much closer to Collingwood and Essendon. These clubs, with Carlton have a broader national following that explains much of the difference.
He did not say that or mention the other two clubs. To my understanding it is West Coast, Collingwood and Carlton.

Richmond has won 2 premierships in 3 years and have grown to 103k members. The overall supporter base is only getting bigger and bigger whereas Carlton and Essendon's have gone backwards.

The gap is only going to get bigger if we continue to win flags and those clubs continue to do nothing.

Both Essendon and Carlton have never drawn as much as Richmond did recently in a home and away season. Only the Pies have.

Essendon had 16 or 17 games at the G in 98 and couldn't draw more than Richmond 2018 who only had 13 games at the G. The proof is in the pudding. I am not even going to mention Carlton as I feel their drawing power is nowhere near ours

I reckon we are hot on the pies tail. It does help that they never seem to be able to make the most of the grand final appearances while we do. Reckon West Coast have the most supporters who actually care about Footy followed closely by Richmond and Collingwood.

Richmond has a wonderful chance to go outright top in the next 5-10 years though
You make a good point about the future Richmond is growing. For the Blues the real test will be if we get our s**t together ASAP. If we do we will be the second biggest Vic club in all measures after Pies. If not I'm afraid Rich and Hawks will pass us in the next 10 years.

Richmond has won 2 premierships in 3 years and have grown to 103k members. The overall supporter base is only getting bigger and bigger whereas Carlton and Essendon's have gone backwards.

The gap is only going to get bigger if we continue to win flags and those clubs continue to do nothing.

Both Essendon and Carlton have never drawn as much as Richmond did recently in a home and away season. Only the Pies have.

Essendon had 16 or 17 games at the G in 98 and couldn't draw more than Richmond 2018 who only had 13 games at the G. The proof is in the pudding. I am not even going to mention Carlton as I feel their drawing power is nowhere near ours

I reckon we are hot on the pies tail. It does help that they never seem to be able to make the most of the grand final appearances while we do. Reckon West Coast have the most supporters who actually care about Footy followed closely by Richmond and Collingwood.

Richmond has a wonderful chance to go outright top in the next 5-10 years though
To the contrary..
- Essendon have 84,000 members, 8,000 more than Richmond did prior to winning its 2017 premiership. This despite no on field success for 15 years.
- Essendon drew only 60,000 less than Richmond in the home / away season in 2019 despite playing only 4 x MCG home games. Yes it plays Collingwood on ANZAC Day, but it never gets Carlton in round 1 before the Blues fans drop off in droves. It did so despite selling out Marvel Stadium at 4 of its 7 home games in 2019. In 2017 Richmond only just pipped Essendon in total home and away attendances in the same manner.
- Essendon played games in Melbourne at Princess Park / Waverley Park in the late 1990’s (Richmond didn’t).

I have no doubt if Essendon were to win a premiership in 2020 its membership would go well beyond Richmond’s and back to the top of the membership list. It would also draw more attendees through the turnstiles on a like for like basis. It’s supporter base is vast and untapped due to its lack of success. Some of the underlying metrics that capture the broader total support of clubs and that are not influenced by on field success (Eg: membership / attendance) support this view: Social media metrics, SuperCoach, Morgan polls.

As for Carlton, they’re not quite as well supported as Collingwood or Essendon. However they’re possibly as large as Richmond primarily due to its strong national supporter base.

To the contrary..
- Essendon have 84,000 members, 8,000 more than Richmond did prior to winning its 2017 premiership. This despite no on field success for 15 years.
- Essendon drew only 60,000 less than Richmond in the home / away season in 2019 despite playing only 4 x MCG home games. Yes it plays Collingwood on ANZAC Day, but it never gets Carlton in round 1 before the Blues fans drop off in droves. It did so despite selling out Marvel Stadium at 4 of its 7 home games in 2019. In 2017 Richmond only just pipped Essendon in total home and away attendances in the same manner.
- Essendon played games in Melbourne at Princess Park / Waverley Park in the late 1990’s (Richmond didn’t).

I have no doubt if Essendon were to win a premiership in 2020 its membership would go well beyond Richmond’s and back to the top of the membership list. It would also draw more attendees through the turnstiles on a like for like basis. It’s supporter base is vast and untapped due to its lack of success. Some of the underlying metrics that capture the broader total support of clubs and that are not influenced by on field success (Eg: membership / attendance) support this view: Social media metrics, SuperCoach, Morgan polls.

As for Carlton, they’re not quite as well supported as Collingwood or Essendon. However they’re possibly as large as Richmond primarily due to its strong national supporter base.

I come from an Essendon family, and I can tell you, many fans have been lost for good.

Interesting that so many people get so worked up about this "biggest club" thing. We're talking about a sport that is
only played in one country, and in population terms, a very tiny one at that. Moderate sized fish in a small pond.
Whatever stat of the week gets used to decide this burning issue on BF isn't gonna change that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have an ear to some of the powers that be in the footy industry and they say it’s Essendon and Collingwood neck and neck at the top.
I do so as well and they say it's West Coast at the top Collingwood and hard to split btween Carlton and Essendon. Richmond have the most members and biggest crowds that is real support not plastic supporters IMO.

I do so as well and they say it's West Coast at the top Collingwood and hard to split btween Carlton and Essendon. Richmond have the most members and biggest crowds that is real support not plastic supporters IMO.
Richmond’s fanbase are the most engaged. This is reflected in this membership figures (apart from the flags of course😄)

Whenever someone talks about knowing a tigers fan it's always 'I know this mad tiger fan, so and so.
It's true, only one type of us.

I would love them to place all winter football clubs on the survey. NRL, Super Rugby and AFL. Broncos would win I reckon. Be good to compare how the Swans actually sit against Parramatta, Souths, etc. Or Suns v Titans.

I would love them to place all winter football clubs on the survey. NRL, Super Rugby and AFL. Broncos would win I reckon. Be good to compare how the Swans actually sit against Parramatta, Souths, etc. Or Suns v Titans.
A lot of people in Sydney and NSW support the Swans. May als support an NRL or A league clunb as well but they support the Swans. Sydney alos hasa population of 4.9M remember,
But what does it all mean?

A lot of people in Sydney and NSW support the Swans. May als support an NRL or A league clunb as well but they support the Swans. Sydney alos hasa population of 4.9M remember,
But what does it all mean?
I go to Storm games sometimes. They are my RL team. But if asked ‘which football team do you support?’, the answer is Hawthorn. You have to chose one.

Telstra did a nationwide survey some years ago and they broke down the results by state.
QLD
1. Broncos
NSW
1. Swans/Dragons
ACT
1. Collingwood
VIC
1. Collingwood
2. Carlton
3. Hawthorn
4. Geelong
5. Essendon
TAS
1. St Kilda
SA
1. Adelaide Crows
WA
1. WCE
NT
1.Collingwood

Telstra did a nationwide survey some years ago and they broke down the results by state.
QLD
1. Broncos
NSW
1. Swans/Dragons
ACT
1. Collingwood
VIC
1. Collingwood
2. Carlton
3. Hawthorn
4. Geelong
5. Essendon
TAS
1. St Kilda
SA
1. Adelaide Crows
WA
1. WCE
NT
1.Collingwood

Surely ACT would be the Raiders or the Brumbies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back