Tagging in the modern game

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like both holding each other to me

It’s not, but let’s have it your way....why are Carlton squealing over this if they are both holding?

There’s another example they’ve gone with where Higgins apparently blocks Cripps from a throw in......very clearly in the same shot is Kennedy blocking and holding Anderson first trying to break the tag, literally no difference between the two except Higgins goes to Cripps because Anderson is being blocked.

This is nothing more than a dummy spit, Cripps is a great player but this also shows a lack of humility. Seems like he’s upset that Anderson beat him around the ball as well as kept him quiet.

It’s not, but let’s have it your way....why are Carlton squealing over this if they are both holding?

There’s another example they’ve gone with where Higgins apparently blocks Cripps from a throw in......very clearly in the same shot is Kennedy blocking and holding Anderson first trying to break the tag, literally no difference between the two except Higgins goes to Cripps because Anderson is being blocked.

This is nothing more than a dummy spit, Cripps is a great player but this also shows a lack of humility. Seems like he’s upset that Anderson beat him around the ball as well as kept him quiet.
They actually didn’t squeal over it. Regardless it’s pointing out the ridiculous stuff taggers get away with. Both hold each other. It’s debatable whether Anderson holds initially but a few frames later he has a fist full of Cripps’ jumper at the front as well. Then he tackles him to the ground without the ball. You couldn’t get a more blatant free kick in the game if you tried. Holds get missed all the time. Taggers slamming blokes to the ground shouldn’t be missed. Lloyd made a small comment that’s about it. Don’t give me this squealing BS.

Cripps barely said a word so what are you going on about? I suggest you watch his comments if you think otherwise.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing clubs pointing out that tagging gets far too much leeway in this game. If you like to watch this garbage rather than blokes hunting the ball then you’d be in the minority.

Cripps has hold off two Saints players and possibly one of the shoulders

Literally both Saints players have their arms wrapped around his arms, hands wrapped around his wrists, stopping him from getting to the ball.

Edxc3AjUMAkCGc0 (1).jpg

Do that in a marking contest to a forward trying to get to the ball and see what happens.

Cripps frees against 5. Anderson 0.

Cripps free kicks this season: 16. 7th in the league. 4th out of mids.

The only real gun mid getting more free kicks than him is Walters who has 1 more cos God bless him he plays for them.

Lachie Neale and Zorko have 8 free kicks this season. Bont, Macrae and Oliver have 9. Shiel has 10. Pendles and Mitchell 11.

Cripps frees against 5. Anderson 0.
So you're telling me Cripps is undisciplined?

latest

Neale is tagged every game but still manages to poll votes. Carlton just need to develop a better midfield that is less reliant on one player being the barometer. He could come to Brisbane IMO.

The only real gun mid getting more free kicks than him is Walters who has 1 more cos God bless him he plays for them.

Lachie Neale and Zorko have 8 free kicks this season. Bont, Macrae and Oliver have 9. Shiel has 10. Pendles and Mitchell 11.
Them leading the free kick counts doesn't mean there's no problem in my opinion. They simply miss a lot of frees in midfield contests that should be paid. Sure at first it might lead to a lot of whistles but taggers would quickly get the message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Them leading the free kick counts doesn't mean there's no problem in my opinion. They simply miss a lot of frees in midfield contests that should be paid. Sure at first it might lead to a lot of whistles but taggers would quickly get the message.

They're not all leaders, Cripps and Walters right up there though. I think the gun mids do get targetted off the ball. I do however think its always happened and it definitely isn't just Cripps.

Dusty: 6 for, 9 against. But but but, Bigfooty says, Dusty gets an absolute ride by the umps and never gets pinged against.

Literally both Saints players have their arms wrapped around his arms, hands wrapped around his wrists, stopping him from getting to the ball.

View attachment 920753

Do that in a marking contest to a forward trying to get to the ball and see what happens.
Maybe because he clearly has hold of both jumpers

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Seen this footage go viral over the weekend. It isn’t just a Cripps issue and is seemingly allowed more in the modern game. Why is the AFL giving free reign to teams illegally impeding midfielders at stoppages? Nobody watches footy to watch Cripps, Martin, Fyfe etc not even allowed an attempt to get to the ball in stoppages at time. It’s absolute crap.

A key defender behaving in the same way is likely to instantly give up a free kick. There is a difference between a tagger being incredibly close to their opponent and making it hard all day and what you see above which is just a blatantly playing the man which is against the rules. If your team isn’t good enough to stop a gun midfielder or negate their influence through your own performances then bad luck. Just another reason why the game looks so ugly at times.
Its in the same grey area as to why free kicks are paid in certain areas of the field and not others. Its a clear free kick every time as the player is being stopped illegaly but the umpires choose to ignore it(keep the game flowing says AFL) and pull ridiculous frees in front of goal

eliminate the jumper holding taggers and watch the game come alive
I pay to see the stars not the taggers

Neale is tagged every game but still manages to poll votes. Carlton just need to develop a better midfield that is less reliant on one player being the barometer. He could come to Brisbane IMO.
The Carlton midfield is less dependent on Cripps that it has been since Judd retired. This is probably his worst year for the club yet we're winning, so we're not really that reliant on him right now.

Forget about who the clubs & players are and just look at the situation in every game every week.

What we are seeing is a blight on the game and needs to be addressed quickly.

All of the big name mids in the league are being unfairly double-teamed & manhandled in an attempt to restrict their influence on the match. It is pathetic that these tactics are allowed to happen.

I want to see the gun players put on a show, not be negated through dirty tactics and piss-weak umpiring.

Obviously, where there's a clear infringement, a free kick should be paid. But most of the 'evidence' people have produced for this involves mutual jumper tugging, legal blocking within 5m of the ball, nothing particularly untoward or unreasonable: play on is the right call.

This "let the good players ply their trade" rhetoric is complete nonsense. Defensive tactics have been, are, and will continue to be a part of every sporting contest worth watching, and that includes attempting to limit the influence of impactful players: eliminate that and all you've got is a dull training drill. Pay the frees when they're there, and otherwise this is a total non-issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back