Club Focus Tasmania 2028 - The List Build

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Pearce to be first captain is my tip.

Would be 32ish by then with a couple of years to lead the way, a bit like Phil Davis at the Giants (though he was much younger).

Hes not that durable i reckon he is retired by then

Captain?

I reckon Nankervis is a good shout.

Will be 33 by the time Tasmania come in and will have been at Richmond for 11 seasons. Can't see them standing in his way.

I think he recently spoke of being keen to be involved in the team in some capacity so as their inaugural captain for a year or two and then moving into an off-field role may appeal.

My thoughts are below. Obviously this would require a big $ investment as many players would be getting AFL contracts to play VFL early, and need AFL quality coaches and support staff.

2026: first year in the VFL
2027: second year in the VFL
2028: first year in the AFL, have many additional list spots with no reduction for at least two years.

End of 2025
  • Can sign delisted free agents.
  • AFL ban SSP picks. Tassie team has a competition with anyone who missed being picked up in the drafts in off season. Can offer five 4-year contracts (2yr VFL/2yr AFL) and five 3-year contracts (2yr VFL/2yr AFL).
  • Can form VFL side from above plus Tasmanian state league players and normal VFL recruitment.
The off season competition could even be televised like that rookie show to start building interest in the team.

End of 2026
  • Anyone who is a FA can sign with Tassie team (normal compo). Any non-FA Tasmanian out of contract can be signed (with clubs getting FA compo +1 band level). All play one year of VFL, all get $200k sign-on bonus from AFL.
  • The team gets priority access to any draft eligible Tasmanian. They get 3 year deals. Can also sign up Tasmanian kids not eligible until end of 2027 on 4yr deals.
  • The Tassie team can select 5 kids who missed being draft eligible by four or less months. Are given 3yr contracts.
  • AFL ban SSP picks. Tassie team has second competition with anyone who missed being picked up in the drafts in off season. Can offer five 3 or 4-year contracts (1yr VFL+ AFL). Contract length negotiated.
At this stage already have 20-30 players, albeit mostly mixture of state/fringe players and kids.

Mid-year 2027
  • First 3 picks in MSD
End of 2027
  • Normal access to free agents. Any Tasmanian can join. Can recruit up to 7 non-Tasmanian players not free agents or restricted free agents. Ages and contract status don’t matter. If contracted or not eligible as FA teams receive 1 band higher when calculating compo. All get $200k sign-on bonus from AFL outside salary cap.
  • Tasmania given pre-draft access to draftable players previously draft-eligible.
  • Given picks 1, 6, 11. Subsequent rounds treated as coming last.
End of 2028
  • Given bonus picks 6, 11, 22
That should give a good base while not impacting other teams too much.
Good effort with your list, I like the idea of spreading the impact out over multiple drafts but think they are going to need more to start. Having access to all of the left overs isn't going to build them a very good team. I agree with other posters that this new team might be the opportunity for the AFL community to be mature and accept players signing on with a new team. I'd except player to sign with Tassie team for 2028 but 1-2 years out and continue to play with their old club.

Spreading out their good picks between 2026 + 27 drafts would be worthwhile. Hardly any kids play AFL in their first year so you won't be costing a kid drafted in 26 many games if they have to spend a year playing VFL first before entering the comp.

My thoughts are below. Obviously this would require a big $ investment as many players would be getting AFL contracts to play VFL early, and need AFL quality coaches and support staff.

2026: first year in the VFL
2027: second year in the VFL
2028: first year in the AFL, have many additional list spots with no reduction for at least two years.

End of 2025
  • Can sign delisted free agents.
  • AFL ban SSP picks. Tassie team has a competition with anyone who missed being picked up in the drafts in off season. Can offer five 4-year contracts (2yr VFL/2yr AFL) and five 3-year contracts (2yr VFL/2yr AFL).
  • Can form VFL side from above plus Tasmanian state league players and normal VFL recruitment.
The off season competition could even be televised like that rookie show to start building interest in the team.

End of 2026
  • Anyone who is a FA can sign with Tassie team (normal compo). Any non-FA Tasmanian out of contract can be signed (with clubs getting FA compo +1 band level). All play one year of VFL, all get $200k sign-on bonus from AFL.
  • The team gets priority access to any draft eligible Tasmanian. They get 3 year deals. Can also sign up Tasmanian kids not eligible until end of 2027 on 4yr deals.
  • The Tassie team can select 5 kids who missed being draft eligible by four or less months. Are given 3yr contracts.
  • AFL ban SSP picks. Tassie team has second competition with anyone who missed being picked up in the drafts in off season. Can offer five 3 or 4-year contracts (1yr VFL+ AFL). Contract length negotiated.
At this stage already have 20-30 players, albeit mostly mixture of state/fringe players and kids.

Mid-year 2027
  • First 3 picks in MSD
End of 2027
  • Normal access to free agents. Any Tasmanian can join. Can recruit up to 7 non-Tasmanian players not free agents or restricted free agents. Ages and contract status don’t matter. If contracted or not eligible as FA teams receive 1 band higher when calculating compo. All get $200k sign-on bonus from AFL outside salary cap.
  • Tasmania given pre-draft access to draftable players previously draft-eligible.
  • Given picks 1, 6, 11. Subsequent rounds treated as coming last.
End of 2028
  • Given bonus picks 6, 11, 22
That should give a good base while not impacting other teams too much.
I don't think aflpa agrees to this.
I like the idea of the 2027 msd being for players say 23 and over to plug holes for injured players.
I would after 2026 draft have tassie sign 10 or so players for a 2 year contract, 1 vfl and then 1 afl season.

I like Dangers expansion Player stealing idea.

Tassie can offer any player under contract a free agent deal and should that player want to go to tassie they get to go.

The club that has the player leave gets a compensation draft pick at that players value.

Tassie also get the No1 pick

With a full draft and signing process at most every team would be impacted 1 player. It’s one compromised draft (due to all the priority picks) and then back to normal.

I like Dangers expansion Player stealing idea.

Tassie can offer any player under contract a free agent deal and should that player want to go to tassie they get to go.

The club that has the player leave gets a compensation draft pick at that players value.

Tassie also get the No1 pick

With a full draft and signing process at most every team would be impacted 1 player. It’s one compromised draft (due to all the priority picks) and then back to normal.

Danger actually said ...he was not fussed on compensation. My feeling is that all the clubs feel a little bit of pain to ensure a good setup. So perhaps ..one player lost no comp... but after that ..normal rules apply.

There are probably variations that could be implemented ..Lets say each club can nominate a safe group... say the top 10 players from each club ...their contracts would not be able to be nullifed

So... if each club give 18 ..players

then multiple draft picks that must traded... would ensure they ended up with a solid group

multiple picks to use over three or more years

an expanded sal cap for three or more years

If the added the ability to sign multiple franchise type players outside the cap for a few years... they could start with a bang. This is the key I feel... its been shown without doubt you have a honeymoon period ...that you can not come in with the approach to build slowly. You must be capable of winning at home against middle ladder teams from day 1.... and be a chance of finals.

See I don’t like the idea of giving tassie picks to trade because as a new club established clubs will just take advantage of their inexperience and low bargaining position

Just have them be able to talk to “non protected players” one from each club gives them 18 + 5 standard draft picks gives them 23 which is a full team.

They’d be pretty far under the cap so should be able to get 1-2 free agents maybe more so that’s 25/6 and then 10 local players and that’s a full squad of 36 with a best 23 of AFL standard players.

They’d also have the Number 1 pick in the draft which they could split for multiple firsts or various other trade down scenarios.

Which helps fill out their depth with less local players if they don’t want that.

Teams with players who move to tassie should get regular F/A compo equivalent.

That’s the fair way to split the talent dilution across the whole league. And it only compromises one draft which won’t hurt teams in rebuilding cycles nearly as much

See I don’t like the idea of giving tassie picks to trade because as a new club established clubs will just take advantage of their inexperience and low bargaining position

Just have them be able to talk to “non protected players” one from each club gives them 18 + 5 standard draft picks gives them 23 which is a full team.

They’d be pretty far under the cap so should be able to get 1-2 free agents maybe more so that’s 25/6 and then 10 local players and that’s a full squad of 36 with a best 23 of AFL standard players.

They’d also have the Number 1 pick in the draft which they could split for multiple firsts or various other trade down scenarios.

Which helps fill out their depth with less local players if they don’t want that.

Teams with players who move to tassie should get regular F/A compo equivalent.

That’s the fair way to split the talent dilution across the whole league. And it only compromises one draft which won’t hurt teams in rebuilding cycles nearly as much

Picks that must be trade will be part of the deal. It worked for GWS. It will work for Tas. If anything , they will have clubs at an advantage. Last time with GWS, plenty of clubs were interested in trading for the u17 picks.. Im sure clubs would come for picks and Tas would do well from them . There might be a variation on what they can be traded for ... as in players rather than more picks

This time Im sure the AFL will not be scrimpy in help setting up Tas. Better to over help than under.

Danger actually said ...he was not fussed on compensation. My feeling is that all the clubs feel a little bit of pain to ensure a good setup. So perhaps ..one player lost no comp... but after that ..normal rules apply.

There are probably variations that could be implemented ..Lets say each club can nominate a safe group... say the top 10 players from each club ...their contracts would not be able to be nullifed

So... if each club give 18 ..players

then multiple draft picks that must traded... would ensure they ended up with a solid group

multiple picks to use over three or more years

an expanded sal cap for three or more years

If the added the ability to sign multiple franchise type players outside the cap for a few years... they could start with a bang. This is the key I feel... its been shown without doubt you have a honeymoon period ...that you can not come in with the approach to build slowly. You must be capable of winning at home against middle ladder teams from day 1.... and be a chance of finals.

It can't be at an expense of no compensation.

Tassie is going to get their own picks, in addition to their own northern style academy (which I imagine functions like GC/Darwin to begin with - i.e can prelist with no draft capital), in addition to likely a mountain of FA concessions, mini draft style pre access etc.

McKercher is the perfect example. A rebuilding club is going to invest a top 4 pick on him, and 4-5 years of development. He will be one of the centerpieces of a clubs rebuild.

If he chooses to move home to Tassie at 22-23yrs old on a massive contract, it's a raw deal for that club to not receive FA compo reflective of the compo offer and be lumped in with another club who might only lose a 33 year old vet.

I dont think it's fair to say "it's for the good of the comp" when essentially 1 or 2 clubs pay most of the price.

Maybe the comp calculation is tweaked, but there has to be some protection for (especially bottom 8 sides) and some of their better kids.

I'm all about Tassie being able to recruit a certain amount of contracted players, as if they were FA's, but there needs to be an age/contract weighting to prevent rebuilding clubs entire list build being torpedoed in the process.

Compo picks literally spread the load across the rest of the competition, as everyone then takes a hit on their draft order. The club (in McKerchers case) will lose 4-5 years of development, however at least they will likely be able to replace him with another quality kid (depending on finishing position), the entire comp thhen pays for it equally, by every pick after moving down the draft order 1 spot for the creation of the new pick.

It's generally the rebuilding clubs who will have the top kids with 150+ games left in their careers that Tassie will be targeting.

Last edited:
It can't be at an expense of no compensation.

Tassie is going to get their own picks, in addition to their own northern style academy (which I imagine functions like GC/Darwin to begin with - i.e can prelist with no draft capital), in addition to likely a mountain of FA concessions, mini draft style pre access etc.

McKercher is the perfect example. A rebuilding club is going to invest a top 4 pick on him, and 4-5 years of development. He will be one of the centerpieces of a clubs rebuild.

If he chooses to move home to Tassie at 22-23yrs old on a massive contract, it's a raw deal for that club to not receive FA compo reflective of the compo offer and be lumped in with another club who might only lose a 33 year old vet.

I dont think it's fair to say "it's for the good of the comp" when essentially 1 or 2 clubs pay most of the price.

Maybe the comp calculation is tweaked, but there has to be some protection for (especially bottom 8 sides) and some of their better kids.

I'm all about Tassie being able to recruit a certain amount of contracted players, as if they were FA's, but there needs to be an age/contract weighting to prevent rebuilding clubs entire list build being torpedoed in the process.

Compo picks literally spread the load across the rest of the competition, as everyone then takes a hit on their draft order. The club (in McKerchers case) will lose 4-5 years of development, however at least they will likely be able to replace him with another quality kid (depending on finishing position), the entire comp thhen pays for it equally, but moving down the draft order 1 spot for the creation of the new pick.

It's generally the rebuilding clubs who will have the top kids with 150+ games left in their careers that Tassie will be targeting.

The post referred to Dangers proposal... thats is what he said. No limit on age. No comp. But I have doubts it would happen that way. There would be some sort of balance... obviously if one club lost a player who is a fringe player.. and another lost a someone who is a B&F winner...the impact would be different.

The post referred to Dangers proposal... thats is what he said. No limit on age. No comp. But I have doubts it would happen that way. There would be some sort of balance... obviously if one club lost a player who is a fringe player.. and another lost a someone who is a B&F winner...the impact would be different.

I know what you said regarding it being Dangers proposal.

I don't agree with it.

A club who drafts McKercher at pick 3 and loses him in 4-5 years to a $1.1m a season contract needs to be treated differently to Richmond losing 33 year old Toby Nankervis or Hawthorn losing 34 year old James Siciliy.

As a minimum they should be receiving Band 1 compo, there may even need to be a further sweetener given someone like McKercher would be well under FA rule eligibility and band 1 is deemed suitable compensation for a 25-28 year old vs losing a 22 year old.

Captain?

I reckon Nankervis is a good shout.

Will be 33 by the time Tasmania come in and will have been at Richmond for 11 seasons. Can't see them standing in his way.

I think he recently spoke of being keen to be involved in the team in some capacity so as their inaugural captain for a year or two and then moving into an off-field role may appeal.

Not sure if he will be captain but I could absolutely see him playing that Shane Mumford type enforcer role for them.

Even more so if Dimma Hardwick is the coach and he brings JRoo over as the forwards coach as well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My list to build a list
1. Exclusive access to Tasmania for 5 years, most likely longer

2. Limited Access to Victoria Country but excluded from the main draft for 3 years
2028 10 players
2029 5 players
2030 5 players

3. Exclusive access to Ireland for 5 years, maybe longer

4. All free agents are unrestricted for 2 years, 2028,2029

5. Access to 10 players within contract for two years. Maximum one per club. Deemed to be unrestricted free agent

6. Exclusive access to players over 20 never been on list for the duration of 5 years

Rationale
1. Recruited players from a similar climate
2. Players from a similar background ie Vic Country
3. No sugar hit in the first year but spread over 3-5 years
4. No need for tanking in the first few years
5. Develop a strong connection between Ireland and Tasmania

I don't think aflpa agrees to this.
I like the idea of the 2027 msd being for players say 23 and over to plug holes for injured players.
I would after 2026 draft have tassie sign 10 or so players for a 2 year contract, 1 vfl and then 1 afl season.
Which bit do you think the AFLPA would have an issue with? Almost all of it still gives players the option to refuse Tasmania, except for draftee age kids.

Making the MSD in 2027 over 23 (while giving them priority access to previously draft-eligible kids in September), versus giving Tassie the first 3 picks is pretty similar.

Good effort with your list, I like the idea of spreading the impact out over multiple drafts but think they are going to need more to start. Having access to all of the left overs isn't going to build them a very good team. I agree with other posters that this new team might be the opportunity for the AFL community to be mature and accept players signing on with a new team. I'd except player to sign with Tassie team for 2028 but 1-2 years out and continue to play with their old club.

Spreading out their good picks between 2026 + 27 drafts would be worthwhile. Hardly any kids play AFL in their first year so you won't be costing a kid drafted in 26 many games if they have to spend a year playing VFL first before entering the comp.
The access to any player regardless of whether they're contracted is the big power. How successful they are luring players would determine if they're strong or not to start with. But frankly, if the team is good but not super is that a problem?

The access to any player regardless of whether they're contracted is the big power. How successful they are luring players would determine if they're strong or not to start with. But frankly, if the team is good but not super is that a problem?
I don't think they should have access to players under contract. It annoys me that it is even discussed as an option - it's a contract.

But I agree that they don't need to be some sort of super team to be successful. I'd just rather that they are competitive sooner than GC/GWS was but still build for the future.

I don't think they should have access to players under contract. It annoys me that it is even discussed as an option - it's a contract.
Given players under contract can be traded, I don't really see it as a major issue. Just recognises what is kind of there to begin with.

Realistically, I don't think they'll have too much success. GWS and GC had, what, about 5 good players between them (choose to leave their clubs for the new ones)? So, I figure Tassie even with that power would only get 4-7 players (that matter) anyway. As long as clubs are compensated better than FA's are now, which is why I said the +1 band. For Band 1 maybe that means an additional compo pick in the next year's draft.

Last edited:
Do people think the "go home" factor is really going to be that big a deal?

Im thinking Riley Sanders would be a perfect fit for us. If he comes in, does well, locks himself in around the top 22 - 25 inside two years, I don't see him wanting to go home when Tasmania come into the AFL.

Do people think the "go home" factor is really going to be that big a deal?

Im thinking Riley Sanders would be a perfect fit for us. If he comes in, does well, locks himself in around the top 22 - 25 inside two years, I don't see him wanting to go home when Tasmania come into the AFL.
I think it can be attractive. Obviously we lost Wanganeen and a few others lost players when Adelaide joined. Similarly when WCE joined. But even then it was only a smallish percentage of the players from those states playing on the east coast. I'd expect it would be similar, applied to a smaller pool of players. Money and opportunity are likely to be the bigger drawcards.

With Colby McKercher looking a top 3 draft pick, Lachie Cowan last year with Carlton.. AFL needs to give the TAS franchise priority access to these Tasmanians regardless of contract and a compensation formula should be developed and released prior to this years draft so clubs know what they are taking and what strings will be attached.

With Colby McKercher looking a top 3 draft pick, Lachie Cowan last year with Carlton.. AFL needs to give the TAS franchise priority access to these Tasmanians regardless of contract and a compensation formula should be developed and released prior to this years draft so clubs know what they are taking and what strings will be attached.

They can't force them to go though.

Give them FA access outside of contract terms, but I think the compo formula needs to be juiced up to compensate the clubs potentially losing a young star mid way through a contract.

Maybe the tweak to the exisiting FA compensation, is they assign a points value and they get a compensation pick reflective of those points, regardless of finishing position, rather than tied to their finishing position.

After the controversy surrounding this year's AFL draft, how should Tassie be awarded when they enter the comp in 5 years time?

I think an expansion draft similar to what the Vegas Golden Knights (2017) and Seattle Kraken (2021) did in the NHL prior to their debut seasons. The draft was done seperate from the 2017 and 2021 NHL Entry Drafts.

After the controversy surrounding this year's AFL draft, how should Tassie be awarded when they enter the comp in 5 years time?

I think an expansion draft similar to what the Vegas Golden Knights (2017) and Seattle Kraken (2021) did in the NHL prior to their debut seasons. The draft was done seperate from the 2017 and 2021 NHL Entry Drafts.
Have you made these names up or are these genuine?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back