Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL doesn’t particularly want a team in Tasmania.
There is only a license because Tasmania pushed for it and the AFL set higher requirements than what applied for Gold Coast and GWS
The only requirement for GWS was that the AFL wanted it. The AFL are hoping for 'generational change' for growth.

GC had its backers; the AFL have ignored the historic sports failures on the coast & again are looking for 'generational change'.

Like with Sydney when it took a few years & efforts from people like Ron Barassi to decide the Sydney 'experiment' was worth saving. The AFL have come to the conclusion that with if they follow the Adelaide model with a new innercity stadium, it will be immediately successful crowd/membership wise. Team success comes from good management & good coaching. Developing the right culture & football environment to play in.

The game here should grow & produce players like it has in the past. That'll require investment of time & money. AFL clinics in schools across the state. Seeing their heroes will inspire the kids to play, again.

Carn the DEVILS. :)

Townsville. Has a population 30% smaller than Hobart. Their new stadium has a capacity of 25,000, and can be expanded to 30,000. This season the NRL team is averaging over 18,000 a game there.

Surely 23,000 seats is too small for Hobart.

From what I have heard from union delegates they are pushing for josh willie who comes from a union background to challenge for the leadership
A bit odd as he sits in the upper house, will need to be jettisoned into the lower house. Unions will want that not because of the stadium but because the natural successor is Winter who is close to the centre.

A bit odd as he sits in the upper house, will need to be jettisoned into the lower house. Unions will want that not because of the stadium but because the natural successor is Winter who is close to the centre.
Yeah. From what I've read Winter is being groomed for Labor leadership.

Townsville. Has a population 30% smaller than Hobart. Their new stadium has a capacity of 25,000, and can be expanded to 30,000. This season the NRL team is averaging over 18,000 a game there.

Surely 23,000 seats is too small for Hobart.
I suspect this will be the case. I think the club will have at least 30,000 members first year in and they won't be able to seat them all. This is actually the preferred position for those involved in the stadium/team as it keeps upward pressure on pricing.

My understanding may be wrong but the federal funds committed to development of Mac Point more generally than a specific commitment to funding a stadium.

So if a stadium went pear-shaped but an alternative development proposal was to emerge shortly afterwards then the funding would still exist to contribute that instead, therefore still developing the precinct as per the Federal Government's wishes.

Technically, perhaps, but given that the amount they're handing over is very similar to the amount needed to complete the stadium, I think it's clear what it'll be going towards....and what wont be funded if the whole thing doesn't happen.

From what I have heard from union delegates they are pushing for josh willie who comes from a union background to challenge for the leadership

They all come from a union background.

It's a requirement to be an ALP MP to be affiliated with a union.

Of course, in some cases that affiliation is more tenuous than in others.

Oh yeah.
It's very bad here in terms of governance atm. Never have we needed strong leadership as we do now.
Gutwein wasn't perfect but he was a strong leader that took no s**t. Rockliff is the utter complete opposite.
Sad and frustrating times in ol' Tassie right now.
Gutwein is the reason Tasmania is in this mess. He offered Gil a new inner-city stadium instead of sticking to his guns and pushing for a team with an upgrade of Bellerive or some other ground. I think there are people who could have stomached $350-400m for an upgrade but are against paying at least twice that for a new stadium. But it's too late now, the toothpaste isn't going back into the tube. Gutwein gave the AFL the opportunity to say "new inner city stadium or no team" and come off looking like the good guys.

I think there are people who could have stomached $350-400m for an upgrade but are against paying at least twice that for a new stadium.
For which there'd be no federal funding, so either way the state govt was going to have to spend that much money. Only now, they'll actually have a good stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gutwein is the reason Tasmania is in this mess. He offered Gil a new inner-city stadium instead of sticking to his guns and pushing for a team with an upgrade of Bellerive or some other ground. I think there are people who could have stomached $350-400m for an upgrade but are against paying at least twice that for a new stadium. But it's too late now, the toothpaste isn't going back into the tube. Gutwein gave the AFL the opportunity to say "new inner city stadium or no team" and come off looking like the good guys.
Those people are the dumbest people on the planet and their opinions shouldn't even count as there is no helping them, if you are that bad at thinking I'm not even sure you should be allowed to vote.

This is nonsense. Gutwein is smart enough to know that Bellerive would never be a long-term solution. "People" really should stay in their lane and let the government get on with its job, because at least 60% of them are as dumb as * and don't realise it.

I suspect this will be the case. I think the club will have at least 30,000 members first year in and they won't be able to seat them all. This is actually the preferred position for those involved in the stadium/team as it keeps upward pressure on pricing.
40k members. 20k Hobart, 20k up north. If they sort the reserved seating properly they should be able to keep everyone happy.

This is nonsense. Gutwein is smart enough to know that Bellerive would never be a long-term solution. "People" really should stay in their lane and let the government get on with its job, because at least 60% of them are as dumb as * and don't realise it.
The roof was a mistake though. Adds 20% - 30% to the cost.

40k members. 20k Hobart, 20k up north. If they sort the reserved seating properly they should be able to keep everyone happy.
I can see merit in having reduced memberships for those wanting to only attend North or South, but there will be a large number, including me, that will want to attend every game.

The roof was a mistake though. Adds 20% - 30% to the cost.
Does it though? I haven't seen a whole of life cost-benefit analysis, but there has to be some overall economic benefit to having a roof.

So...hang on...the LNP is split to a minority govt position by internal disagreement, with dissenting members becoming independants...meanwhile the enemy ALP forms a united position against a Liberal proposal, but key backers are prepared to overthrow their bosses and install a revolutionary leader, in order to form an alliance with sworn enemies...

Is this Tassie politics, the Middle East or Game Of Thrones...?

Those people are the dumbest people on the planet and their opinions shouldn't even count as there is no helping them, if you are that bad at thinking I'm not even sure you should be allowed to vote.
You seem like a very tolerant and intelligent individual. They should put you in charge of the whole country.

Yes, the majority of people are stupid, except you of course, as you are very intelligent and wise.

Way to announce you're announcer you're a bootlicker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back