Thank You kain Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

crows4ever

Draftee
Nov 8, 2002
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide crows
what are people thorts about young Victorian players coming over and then wanting to go home after 4 or 5 years.........what can we do to stop it happening.......
But Kain Johnson has given us 7 good years........

Its obviously a definite pity that we lost KJ. He is a great midfielder who has played well for us, and its just too bad that we couldn't retain him, as he was a "required player".

What can we do to stop it from happening?? Maybe, with some players we actually can't do anything. I think it depends on the player and who they are. If they have strong family ties and really enjoyed life where they grew up, then when they move somewhere else, its highly likely that they will miss their first home and want to move back.

Having said that, there will be exceptions of course. For instance, I think we've done pretty well to retain Mark Stevens and Tyson Stenglein, and I'm sure they would miss thier first homes a bit, but they seem to have found something they like about Adelaide lifestyle (maybe other people who know more about these 2 players would like to comment).

I just personally think that there perhaps can be too many factors involved, and sometimes there is nothing a footy club can do to change a player's homesickness. Just my thoughts

Kane wasn't THAT great

http://www.crowdogs.freeservers.com

I don't think Kane Johnson was THAT great a player. I always felt that he was a 'hollow' player, someone that would make so many fundamental errors, yet on his day (which were rarer than Bickley's good games), made some pretty good plays.

I'm glad to see the backside of this spoilt brat.

Re: Kane wasn't THAT great

Originally posted by brucetiki

I don't think Kane Johnson was THAT great a player. I always felt that he was a 'hollow' player, someone that would make so many fundamental errors, yet on his day (which were rarer than Bickley's good games), made some pretty good plays.

Geez Bruce - you're a hard man!!! I think Johnson was one hell of a good player that could perform under pressure. Very strong at the ball and very direct.

While he was a little injury prone to soft tissue injuries, he had the remarkable ability to play a beauty first up when he resumed, unlike some players who need a few runs before they get there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with our trades. I just think Johnson is a bloody good footballer.

Re: Kane wasn't THAT great

Originally posted by brucetiki
http://www.crowdogs.freeservers.com

Can't agree with this. Sugar was & is a quality player, rarely made a skill error or panicked & has magnificent vision. His main problem was with his soft-tissue injuries, however he learnt to manage them OK in 2002. Johnson gave us great service & I wish him well. Carey should be more value to the Crows, but for team balance reasons.

those guys are a bit different

Mark Stevens and Tyson Stenglein are very different from Kane Johnson.

Kane stated from the moment he got drafted that he oneday wanted to go home to Victoria. We all knew the day would come that he would leave. He grew up barracking for Richmond and wanted to play for them. He lived at home with his parents, so moving to Adelaide was a huge move for a 17 year old. We picked him and gave him a chance. He did the right thing and gave something back to us for showing that faith. The facts are though, he came with the "oneday I'll go back" attitude. And almost every time I heard him speak - he spoke about going home, I think his heart was always over the boarder.

Mark Stevens is a Tasmanian who grew up in Victoria. Maybe he doesn't have the same "pull" as Kane does to Victoria. He told the Kangas he wanted out - and he said he would go anywhere to play regular footy. He has a whole different attitude to Adelaide than Kane. He was a bit older than Kane when he came here - he had lived away from his family for a few years already (they live in Heyfield) so the transition for him was easier. He loves it at the Crows and wants to be here - that is also a key difference. A fantastic player for many years to come :)

Tyson Stenglein is from WA - and while that is further than Melbourne, he seems to have made the transition really well. Again he was young when he came over, but he fitted in really easily and is enjoying his time here. I have never heard him talk about going home to WA. Tyson is a future leader at our club and I can see him playing for years to come!

k
xx

Alright, I stand correct there.

Wow, Marksgirl, your knowledge of the players and their background is damn impressive. :eek: :)

thanks

Originally posted by crowsfan
Alright, I stand correct there.

Wow, Marksgirl, your knowledge of the players and their background is damn impressive. :eek: :)

Thanks Crowsfan, I am a huge Crows fan, they are very important to me, so I tend to be know a bit about the club and players. I also have to say that Mark STevens is my absolute favourite and so I know more about him than anybody else! I keep all his interviews and articles! I have also had the pleasure of meeting him on many occassions.

I also had a quick drink with Tyson Stenglein in Melbourne this year so I have had the pleasure talking to him also.

k
xx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, good riddance to Kane Johnson. Sugar was/is a very good player but I want footballers who want to play for our club, who'd bleed for the Adelaide Crows.....the mamma's boy couldn't wait to go home and I couldn't wait to see the back of him.....the constant refrains of how he wanted to go back to Melbourne...sheesh, I'd had enough of it. I hope he enjoys his early break next year as we march towards the last Saturday in September.

No worries Marksgirl, you are undoubtably Mark Stevens's biggest fan, and he also probably knows it as well!

ant, gotta agree with you there. Even though its sad to see him go, in the end, its arguably the most important thing that a player truly wants to play for the club, and not have any other inhibitions. And yeah, there seemed to be some sort of cloud of negativity when he spoke about 'missing home' and all.

I will miss Kane terribly, but at the end of the day he wanted to go home. We heard it so many times we all knew it would happen one day. We need more players like Wayne Carey who said he only wanted to play for the Crows in 2003!!!

k
xx

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Even given Sugar's great form in 2002, would the Crows performed better if we had Carey instead? I would suggest yes, as the games we lost were when we struggled up forward. This should be rectified in 2003! :D

Totally agree with you there. How annoyed did I get when our midfield did awesome jobs to get the ball up into our forward area, but our forwards, for what ever reason, struggled and could not convert our opportunities? Very annoyed, in fact, I was freakin' pi$$ed off. Like you said, can't wait for this aspect of our game improve by miles next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back